• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread The Third: Casting Dreams in The Castle of Miyamoto

Log4Girlz

I'm sticking with 2-3 times the power of the 360 and PS3.

Gut feeling.

Not sure where that fits with Alberto's better than current
consoles by a country mile stuff. :)

I think if that's the case, its not an easy case of "Throw engine on machine, check a couple of boxes, voila vastly superior version created", more of a serious retooling to get everything to its maximum potential.

BurntPork

Banned
I think if that's the case, its not an easy case of "Throw engine on machine, check a couple of boxes, voila vastly superior version created", more of a serious retooling to get everything to its maximum potential.

Not really. Wii U would be around the level of a 7670-7750, PS4 7850, and 360 7870. It could work out just fine.

Instro

Sounds to me like he was saying PS3/360 is N64 and Wii U is Dreamcast. I'm talking about Wii U being Dreamcast to PS4/720
I don't understand the difference? The Dreamcast was a stopgap between the N64/PS1 and the PS2. We won't know how it measures up to the other next gen consoles until they are revealed.

guek

Banned
We can talk all the specs we want, and third party support is obviously a much desired feature in the Wii U, but ultimately we'll either be swayed or dismayed by the initial 1st party offerings.

There was never any chance Wii U was going to be some kind of next gen monster. We knew that from day 1.

There was never any chance Wii U was going to have 3rd party support swing in its favor starting from launch. We knew from the beginning that if that were ever to happen, it would be a very slow process.

People who don't care for nintendo games will continue to mock and hate because they feel that shouting their distaste for nintendo as loudly as possible somehow validates their opinion. Or maybe they just feel that nintendo fans are too damn loud and can only be matched with snide condescension. They are the un-convertable though and the minority of consumers, so who really cares what they think?

All of us should have known though from the moment we heard rumors of an HD nintendo console that it was going to be that first reel of 1st party gameplay that would cement what we already knew to be true - that the Wii's successor was a guaranteed purchase. Call it brainwashed, blind fanboy desires, or whatever else you want. "Nintendo fans" know what they like and I don't think there's anything wrong with that, just like there's nothing wrong with disliking nintendo's products either. Most of us though were convinced the second we saw Dat Zelda demo. In retrospect, it's really not all that impressive apart from its lighting. Wait, I take that back. It's immensely impressive solely because it's a promise of wonderful things to come. Some people don't care at all about the alluded potential and thus can't see what all the fuss is about.

But we do.

Bu-but-but, why would code from 2005/6 machines put stress on a processor designed for release in 2012?
Wii U doesn't have the same architecture as the 360/PS3, and the system is not so much more powerful as those consoles to run unoptimized code with good results. Also, the current OS will likely be more efficient and require less RAM than it is probably using now.

People who don't care for nintendo games will continue to mock and hate because they feel that shouting their distaste for nintendo as loudly as possible somehow validates their opinion.

It'll be a good period though where they can't post Wii U screenshots or make stupid Wii U screenshot threads to laugh at the poor screenshots.

Not that that bothered me much but they will have to resort to different tactics of insecure hatred.

They'll have to become more creative.

The Wii was an obvious target, let's see what they can do without one.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Am I crazy, or is there an insane amount of geometry being pushed in that Zelda demo? Every nook and corner of that room has detailed ornamentation.

HylianTom

Banned
It'll be a good period though where they can't post Wii U screenshots or make stupid Wii U screenshot threads to laugh at the poor screenshots.

Not that that bothered me much but they will have to resort to different tactics of insecure hatred.

They'll have to become more creative.

The Wii was an obvious target, let's see what they can do without one.

I'm waiting to see what the Morgan Webbs, Luke Smiths, and Robert Summas of the gaming media world will come-up with. Should be pretty entertaining, especially in the (unlikely?) event that the U is uber-successful; I think that their squirms of discomfort would be a bit worse this time around, hehe..

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Speaking of the demos, was the Bird Demo available at CES in any form. I just noticed that a few videos of the HD Zelda from CES are up on YouTube, but I don't see anything new of the Bird Demo.

Is anyone else expecting Nintendo to open up their E3 presentation with a trailer reel of some new games? If not how do you expect them to start off their E3?

Boring success stats of the Wii.

Then Reggie holds up a Wii and smashes it to the ground and stomps the fuck out of it(Nintendo game puns unintentional).

Then the room goes dark and you see the Glow of the Wii U light and controller light(bear with me, it's hypothetical), then a really fast and frenetic trailer of a ton of third party games.

Then out comes Miyamoto dressed as the new mascot IP.

Lots of stylized first party games looking better than ever are shown and talked about.

Then as it seems over, Iwata comes out with a trenchcoat on and flashes the crowd with a tshirt underneath with Retro games on it and they show off Metroid Prime: Someoverwhelmingsubtitle(no number).

End of show.

Linkhero1

I just want one with partners :(

The 3DS one has transformed from a system seller to "meh" for me.

Wait...what's wrong with the 3DS one? I haven't been keeping up with it. From what I remember it was looking good.

Edit: Wait...you don't have partners anymore? No more Goombarios and whatnot? wtf :(

Then Reggie holds up a Wii and smashes it to the ground and stomps the fuck out of it(Nintendo game puns unintentional).

Then the room goes dark and you see the Glow of the Wii U light and controller light(bear with me, it's hypothetical), then a really fast and frenetic trailer of a ton of third party games.

Lots of stylized first party games looking better than ever are shown and talked about.

Then as it seems over, Iwata comes out with a trenchcoat on and flashed the crowd with a tshirt underneath with Retro games on it and they show off Metroid Prime: Someoverwhelmingsubtitle(no number).

End of show.

I'd pay to see this.

Anth0ny

The XBox was a crazy beast if used right. But it was just an analogy, it wasn't meant to be a proper comparison of power.

Dreamcast to N64 might be a better comparison?

YgkIZ.png

HylianTom

Banned

Then as it seems over, Iwata comes out with a trenchcoat on and flashed the crowd with a tshirt underneath with Retro games on it and they show off Metroid Prime: Someoverwhelmingsubtitle(no number).

End of show.
I'd love to see Miyamoto dressed as something; I eat moments like that up. They're memories that we tend to carry with us for a long time. Him dressed in a tux, conducting the orchestra was an iconic moment.

Heck, now that I think about it.. I want as much Miyamoto as possible. Funny slideshows, demos, jokes.. just MORE!
kidnap1.jpg

Log4Girlz

I want literally every single nintendo franchise to have at least 1 HD entry next generation, just to see what they do.

Ok that takes time so this is how it starts:

HD Wii Music

HD Wii Sports

HD Wii Play

HD Big Brain Academy

HD Wii Fit

HD Wii Party.

Those games alone constitutes like 2 years worth of releases.

Jackano

Ok that takes time so this is how it starts:

HD Wii Music

HD Wii Sports

HD Wii Play

HD Big Brain Academy

HD Wii Fit

HD Wii Party.

Those games alone constitutes like 2 years worth of releases.

Joke apart I don't think they will go with a "HD" brand/naming. Or maybe for the remakes/ports but either way it's kinda ridiculous.

Anyway before I go lie down to watch some tv and ipad it up, let us all thank alberto for dropping his bomb (or whatever) tonight, stopping this thread from spiralling further down into the vortex of nowhere.

gj gj

until tomorrow.

HylianTom

Banned
Anyway before I go lie down to watch some tv and ipad it up, let us all thank alberto for dropping his bomb (or whatever) tonight, stopping this thread from spiralling further down into the vortex of nowhere.

gj gj

until tomorrow.
I can echo this: thanks SA! This has been one of my favorite nights here in quite a while.

What if he is dressed up as a Pikmin???

I'd laugh and hug the stream.
I'd giggle and smile like a small child, and then thank the gods that we're lucky to have him.

I imagine a while after E3 we'll be on thread #7. .
Would it still be labeled a Speculation Thread, or a Waiting Thread?

HylianTom

Banned
This is about getting 3rd parties now. Miyamoto will come on the stage dressed as a bald space marine.
Yes.. Miyamoto comes out onto stage with a big-ass gun in his robo-marine outfit, bald head, thick cigar..

Then I could imagine their normally-colorful screen up in the background going from color-filled to greys and browns, and then the audio system cranks-up with lots of gunfire, explosions, and the obscenely obscene cursing of squeaky-voiced-wannabe-mature middle-school boys. It'd be hysterical.

If Nintendo had the balls to do that.. wow..hehe..

Or Anticipation Thread! :p

In all seriousness though I doubt it really matters, we'll all still be here, same people different discussions concerning Nintendo.
Anticipation. I like!

It'd be a symbolic change more than anything else, but I definitely like!

Dreamcast to N64 might be a better comparison?

Wich would be what most people in here with at least half a brain is expecting... DC to N64 is the perfect comparison GRAPHICS wise.

But thanks to the amazing 1st and 2nd party offerings, they will be nowhere near "Dreamcasted" this gen! Just to get this out of the way in before someone wants to mention this...

sinxtanx

oh god this thread
threads like this one are the reason i have a GAF account

just came in to say that Episode IV: A New Hype definitely should be the next thread's title.

Also, some speculation: I believe the Wii U will succeed through clever marketing and word of mouth, just like the Wii. And it will make money, I guess. Not as much as Apple, but that's a different market.

I'm not sure some people understand the actual implications of 2-3x this generational power in the hands of EAD Tokyo and Retro.

They'll seriously set the bar for HD games.

Top Bottom