• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoodbury

As one of the artists of the game Im pretty sure IIRC that you can join any object from the game to create a new object, so with a little imagination its possible to be made with the object creator.

So what you're saying is that I could join a 'hood' with a 'bury' to make my own Hoodbury?

Some more hype. A few launch (window) games!

New Super Mario Bros. Wii U
wiiumario.jpg

ZombiU

Pikmin 3

Trine 2

Nintendo Land

Rayman Legends

Project P-100

I have no interest in buying another damn Nintendo system.

I do, however, have mega interest in playing a proper HD version of Zelda, Metroid, 3D Mario Brothers, etc. Hopefully, there'll be a bunch of non-PC games I want to play by the time one of those heavy hitters make me buy the system. I wonder what the difference in revenue would be for Nintendo if they did go 3rd party. On one hand, I know that every console they sell is usually profitable. On the other hand, I wonder if software sales across all of the other game machines would approach or beat that number. Of course, I'm well aware that they've run that scenario extensively and that the reason they're releasing another console is that their results are opposite of my hopes and dreams. I only say this as a Wii early adopter. I paid around $320 for a Wii and an extra controller. I played (and enjoyed) Zelda (TP), Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, Metroid Prime 3, and Mario Kart before I got tired of it and sold it to make room for my Blu Ray / Uncharted player. Since these were literally the only games I played and enjoyed (I know there's more I missed out on), allocating the cost of the system between the games means that I basically paid $114 for each game I loved. I don't want to do that again.

Of course... I will if I have to.

Did I imagine it, or did Nintendo say that every Wii-U game will be downloadable? I hope they won't be more than retail price though! Another good reason to import I think (US system).

flippedb

Banned
I think 64GB will be fine for me. I mainly only play Nintendo games, I do not see first party games installs before at least the second half of the system lifespan. And I buy it retail to be able to sell it sometimes after. Really for the space, I think I will be Ok with 64GB. I assume it means it is Ok for the tech question, thank you!

Yeah, I guess you could use an USB stick.

jaypah

If I wanted more than 64GB, it will definitely be cheaper. But I just checked, 64GB is ~35€.
What bother me the most, is the extra power input required for external HDD. It sucks.

I got a 100gb external 5 years ago and it doesn't require an additional power input, just USB. I'm sure by now you could get one a lot larger for the same price (mine was $89).

I might bite, but I think I'll wait a year or two before getting one. I really want to see what the software is like before committing.

Same here.
If I see at least 3 titles that I feel hyped about, I'll probably bite (and then, only if it is less than £199).

So far, while p-100/pikmin/NSMBWIIU/ZombiU/Rayman/Trine are all looking interesting, I feel like I can kinda do without them.
I know that Smash is one of my hyped games, so I only really need two more.

Jackano

I got a 100gb external 5 years ago and it doesn't require an additional power input, just USB. I'm sure by now you could get one a lot larger for the same price (mine was $89).

But not all external HDDs use extra power inputs?

Oh, didn't know that!
In fact, I buy an external USB HDD last year, searched for no external input models but didn't find anything...
Now I have this external HDD, I don't think I will buy another one, but thanks for the intel!

antonz

Did I imagine it, or did Nintendo say that every Wii-U game will be downloadable? I hope they won't be more than retail price though! Another good reason to import I think (US system).

I think it will depend on publisher. I think it was stated Scribblenauts would not be on the E-shop

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Will probably pick up at launch simply for a new toy to play with, and because I'll get it eventually. Even shitty launch software is unlikely to turn me off, hello 3DS. Only thing that will really stop me is serious AU price gouging. If the price here is completely irrational and unreasonable, Nintendo can fuck off.

Otherwise yeah, I'm down. P-100 is the No.1 game on my list. I'm not expecting it for launch, unfortunately. Rayman is a shoe-in and I'm happy it is likely to be there. Zombi U too sounds excellent on paper, and looks interesting, even if I'm not completely convinced it will live up to my expectations. Pikmin 3 is a must have, but I don't expect it for launch. NSMB U is one of those "eventually" titles I'm sure to enjoy, but money being what it is means other games take priority.

Reggie's four month launch window is of greatest concern to me, as aside from the above there's nothing I want to buy for the system.

RedSwirl

At the very least every first party game. They're trying to convince third party publishers on this.

Touch

Is it weird that I'm hyped for the console but not the software? It's pretty much the same as the Wii launch for me. I know I'm going to buy the console I just wish there was a piece of software that could really get behind and get pumped about. At the moment, there is only slight interest in most of the launch line up titles.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Some more hype. A few launch (window) games!

New Super Mario Bros. Wii U

ZombiU

Pikmin 3

Trine 2

Nintendo Land

Rayman Legends

Project P-100
Bought. All of them. + Game & Wario, Fifa, Scribblenauts and WiiFit U. I love console launches :)

I really want to get this thing at launch, but nintendo has been setting their expectations really low for how well this thing sells (they estimated 10.5 million wii+wii u for the year) Hopefully there won't be any shortages.

Anth0ny

September conference spoilers:

$299
Nintendoland download code bundled
November 18

NSMB U will be there at launch, Pikmin 3 and P-100 will miss.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
September conference spoilers:

$299
Nintendoland download code bundled
November 18

NSMB U will be there at launch, Pikmin 3 and P-100 will miss.

I agree with this all, except Nintendoland won't be bundled in Japan and it will be pre-installed instead of a code in NA / PAL.

Thoraxes

Me and my bros are all chipping in for the co-op games, while we're buying our own single-player games.

So yes, I actually am now getting Nintendoland and Mario. (was always getting Rayman, P-100, and Pikmin 3).

I love still living near my old gaming friends, and there's nothing like getting together on the weekend for co-operative/party gaming on the same couch.

And man do the Nintendo games look pretty in HD. The screenshots posted on the internet really don't do that games justice, especially Pikmin 3.

ZombiU looked really when when I got to play it hands-on, but i'm not a big FPS person on consoles.

So, question, everyone:

To all you launch day-buyers - will you be buying one IN STORE or get it from amazon, etc?

I'll be damned when I entrust Royal Mail with anything that big/expensive. I've had them leave packages outside the front door, and in the neighbourhood I'm living in come September, it would be gone.

Although saying that, in-store you're very likely to get stuck with an expensive bundle deal you didn't ask for with games you don't want, as is GAME's mantra with Nintendo hardware launches.

Kinda excited, but definitely need to get a better sense of how both first- and third-party software is shaping up for 2013 before I even consider buying one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom