• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nordique

Well, the article does seem to confirm that the system is a lot closer to current gen than it is to ps4 and 720 which a lot of people in the speculation thread did not think was the case.

From what I recall, most people knew what the Wii U was going to be

nordique

There was money to be made with the Wii as well, and we all saw that many 3rd parties willingly excluded the Wii Market from their main portfolio, using the Wii as a garbage dump to finance their main business.

I for one by now expect the same strategy again with some occasional stand out efforts every 2 years or so.

That's true.

But also consider that now it should also be easier to do, as in easier for developers to port to the Wii U, something which wasn't possible on the Wii.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
There was a lot of money to be made on the Wii as well... just sayin'

EDIT: Beaten like a red-headed stepchild.

wiiU looks much, much simpler to port to though as the architecture is similar enough to the current gen machines. Assuming the development tools are in good shape, you could probably do a WiiU port of a 360 game pretty quickly, so incremental costs are relatively low.

Maybe they were referring to the R700 chips, and all this DX talk is weird, it's a method to easily say what set of features the GPU can support but it won't use DX as a lot of people than me already explained.

Yeah, like how the specs said Compute Shaders and that's a MS thing as well.

Well, the article does seem to confirm that the system is a lot closer to current gen than it is to ps4 and 720 which a lot of people in the speculation thread did not think was the case.

Architecture-wise Wii U so far resembles PS4 and Xbox 3 more than it does PS360.

There was money to be made with the Wii as well, and we all saw that many 3rd parties willingly excluded the Wii Market from their main portfolio, using the Wii as a garbage dump to finance their main business.

I for one by now expect the same strategy again with some occasional stand out efforts every 2 years or so.

The outdated architecture still was a major factor in that. With Wii U now we can see dirty ports much easier. :p

Beaten by nordique.

The outdated architecture still was a major factor in that. With Wii U now we can see dirty ports much easier. :p

Beaten by nordique.

In theory, in practice we all know how 3rd parties will plan their investments. They've made their bed and Nintendo is the convenient garbage dump where they can offload their feces packaged in game cases.

Earendil

wiiU looks much, much simpler to port to though as the architecture is similar enough to the current gen machines. Assuming the development tools are in good shape, you could probably do a WiiU port of a 360 game pretty quickly, so incremental costs are relatively low.

Beaten by nordique.

Those are good points, but I have so very little faith in 3rd parties to make smart, rational decisions that I'm not going to hold my breath.

nordique

It's still dissapointing to learn that it's little more than an overclocked 360.

Well, let's not get overly mellow-dramatic now ;)

Come on :)

We still do not have final specs, and won't for months, so we can't judge whether its a souped up 360 or not; though consider it within the context of Nintendo.

Going from the Wii to this, is absolutely huge

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
It's still dissapointing to learn that it's little more than an overclocked 360.

It won't be an overclocked 360, period.

It wasn't the case a few months ago when i participated a lot here.

And it's EVEN LESS the case now (refer to the tidbit i wrote lately).

It seems a really solid system, and i can't wait to see the second generation games, with studios having a good grasp on it from the start of their development.

We'll say wow. We will say wow in front of Wii U titles even when its competitors will be available.

I bet 100 croissants on that.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Just like people did with Mario Galaxy on the Wii.

Another reason to be confident for the Wii U capabilities and it's potential to throw visual marvels at us (in addition to fun experiences of course).

Let's rejoice with some buffet and legendary gif using Iwata at the latest Nintendo Direct :p

Nibel

Just like people did with Mario Galaxy on the Wii.

There are sections in SMG that don't feel like a Wii game at all - hence why many speak of "Nintendo magic" when referring to the game's visual quality.

SMG2 looks even better in most parts in my opinion.

It seems a really solid system, and i can't wait to see the second generation games, with studios having a good grasp on it from the start of their development.

We'll say wow. We will say wow in front of Wii U titles even when its competitors will be available.

I don't like croissants... but I won't start that again.

Van Owen

Banned
Low-power CPU, GPU emphasizing general processing. The maker isn't really relevant.

Even Iwata has talked about different architecture compared to current consoles.

Their CPUs won't be low powered compared to current gen though.

Whatever you want to discern from "archectecture" it appears theres still going to be a large disparity in power between the systems.

SmokyDave

Another reason to be confident for the Wii U capabilities and it's potential to throw visual marvels at us (in addition to fun experiences of course).

Let's rejoice with some buffet and legendary gif using Iwata at the latest Nintendo Direct :p

You crack on with the croissants, I'm waiting on pain-au-chocolat. Nintendo will do lovely things with it though, sure.

There are sections in SMG that don't feel like a Wii game at all - hence why many speak of "Nintendo magic" when referring to the game's visual quality.

SMG2 looks even better in most parts in my opinion.
No doubt they have phenomenal artists. MG never blew me away like something like Uncharted 2 did though. When high-artistry meets high-tech, shit gets bananas.

I don't like croissants... but I won't start that again.
What the hell is wrong with you?!

nordique

In theory, in practice we all know how 3rd parties will plan their investments. They've made their bed and Nintendo is the convenient garbage dump where they can offload their feces packaged in game cases.

Which is somewhat true. Though, every generation of consoles is different. We don't know how it will turn out, and already the Wii U is getting better quality western 3rd party support at launch than the Wii arguably ever did

A tri core IBM CPU and amd Gpu is closer to 720 than 360?

raw power wise likely not, but archtecture wise, yes; consider the GPGPU set up the Wii U seems to have. This is akin to what the PS4/Durango seem to have, and that is what I think bg means

Those are good points, but I have so very little faith in 3rd parties to make smart, rational decisions that I'm not going to hold my breath.

It does boil down to publishers at the end of the day, but hopefully Nintendo can build a healthy install base and software ecosystem that it makes sense to do a Wii U build.

Earendil

Je voudrais une croissant...

BY2K

Membero Americo
"It's not about beating everyone else in a surface shader processing clock speed war. That's not what they're about. They're about saying, we've got this great roster of IP, all these great characters, how do we build a piece of cost-effective hardware - they're a business, they've got to make profit - that will allow our players, our very loyal Nintendo players, to interact with this IP and great worlds and characters in a new way?

"If you think about the Wii U in that light, suddenly it makes a huge amount of sense. Suddenly we're going to be able to explore the world of Zelda and Mario in a new way with our friends. And that's the rationale behind that platform. It's not a gunning war in terms of hardware. As soon as you do that, you start to think about the games in a different way. You start to get excited about what it affords you as a game designer, and players should get very excited about it as well."

Pretty much this.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
If there is money to be made, yes.

They said AMD 7, so like others said they probably mean 700.

When people say "it's just 2006 all over again" they're buying into the fallacy of history repeating itself. History does not repeat itself. It does, however, resonate with past circumstances.

Is there a real reason to be concerned about Wii U's long term support? Yes.

Is 2012 the exact same situation as 2006? No, of course not.

We're now in an industry that has learned it is very hard and expensive to keep raking in the AAA core gamer dollar, that most of your over-budgeted triple A games fail to make money, and studios regularly shutter because the situation is unsustainable.

We are also in an industry that has seen how blind it was to the Wii's potential to blow up, and utterly failed to capitalize, leaving money on the table. And the existence of far wider audiences than the 20-30 year old male is now firmly established, even the nature of those audiences isn't fully understood.

The Wii also did not launch with games directly competitive to the other platforms. From day 1, it was outclassed in terms of software available. The unusually long 7th generation may, just possibly, be a boon to Nintendo. It allows them to launch Wii U, and for the next 1-2 years position the console as having a truly competitive library with the other guys, plus all the exclusive stuff only Nintendo can offer.

I know that many do not want to see the 8th generation as having the potential of repeating the 6th - with a triad of consoles with noticeably segmented performance. The notion that the PS4 and Xbox 720 will be as far beyond Wii U as this gen is beyond PS2 is too firmly entrenched. (And a recipe for massive disappointment.)

But I think there is some potential for Nintendo to force a PS2-Gamecube-Xbox scenario here - though in a modified form, whatever shape that will take.

Oddly, a 'soft crash' of the AAA games industry might help them out. If the number of AAA+A games does decline over the next few years, it would appear that only means the number of superior exclusives the next gen MS and Sony consoles have will be a lot smaller. There does seem to be an assumption in place that after a year or so, every significant game on the other consoles will be a UE4-powered technology festival that will be impossible to port to Wii U.

But it's also possible we would end up with a situation that resonates with the 6th generation - the most powerful consoles occasionally get their showpiece title, and the average multiplatform game remains at a level a couple of notches below that.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
1GB of usable system memory isn't low at all, it's amazingly great for a game console. Don't compare this to PC memory, because PC's are running Windows - Windows 7 uses 4GB RAM all by itself (if you don't have 4GB RAM, it is constantly accessing "virtual memory" on your hard drive or flash drive to get what it needs).

1 GB is a nice bump over the pitiful amounts of memory the PS3 and 360 have (although if it's slow it might not be such a significant upgrade), but it's definitely not "amazingly great". It's "good" for this generation, but would be laughably bad for a "true" next-gen console.

And while agree that you can't directly compare RAM amounts between consoles and PC... W7 using 4 GB of RAM all by itself? What?

Stulaw

It's sort of more like the xbox compared to the ps2 or gamecube, the architecture was newer and you could do alot more things with it, hence why the games looked better despite the power being relative to the GC.

So the Wii U is more like a more powerful Xbox compared to the PS360 which are more like the outdated PS2 etc.

Peterthumpa

1 GB is a nice bump over the pitiful amounts of memory the PS3 and 360 have (although if it's slow it might not be such a significant upgrade), but it's definitely not "amazingly great". It's "good" for this generation, but would be laughably bad for a "true" next-gen console.

And while agree that you can't directly compare RAM amounts between consoles and PC... W7 using 4 GB of RAM all by itself? What?

Hm... no. How much RAM do you think 720/PS4 will have? I'm betting 2 GB maximum.
So 1 GB isn't that bad even by next-gen standards.

And yeah, W7 usually eats around 1 - 1.5 GB.

i am going to enjoy this :lol

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
When people say "it's just 2006 all over again" they're buying into the fallacy of history repeating itself. History does not repeat itself. It does, however, resonate with past circumstances.

Is there a real reason to be concerned about Wii U's long term support? Yes.

Is 2012 the exact same situation as 2006? No, of course not.

We're now in an industry that has learned it is very hard and expensive to keep raking in the AAA core gamer dollar, that most of your over-budgeted triple A games fail to make money, and studios regularly shutter because the situation is unsustainable.

We are also in an industry that has seen how blind it was to the Wii's potential to blow up, and utterly failed to capitalize, leaving money on the table. And the existence of far wider audiences than the 20-30 year old male is now firmly established, even the nature of those audiences isn't fully understood.

The Wii also did not launch with games directly competitive to the other platforms. From day 1, it was outclassed in terms of software available. The unusually long 7th generation may, just possibly, be a boon to Nintendo. It allows them to launch Wii U, and for the next 1-2 years position the console as having a truly competitive library with the other guys, plus all the exclusive stuff only Nintendo can offer.

I know that many do not want to see the 8th generation as having the potential of repeating the 6th - with a triad of consoles with noticeably segmented performance. The notion that the PS4 and Xbox 720 will be as far beyond Wii U as this gen is beyond PS2 is too firmly entrenched. (And a recipe for massive disappointment.)

But I think there is some potential for Nintendo to force a PS2-Gamecube-Xbox scenario here - though in a modified form, whatever shape that will take.

Oddly, a 'soft crash' of the AAA games industry might help them out. If the number of AAA+A games does decline over the next few years, it would appear that only means the number of superior exclusives the next gen MS and Sony consoles have will be a lot smaller. There does seem to be an assumption in place that after a year or so, every significant game on the other consoles will be a UE4-powered technology festival that will be impossible to port to Wii U.

But it's also possible we would end up with a situation that resonates with the 6th generation - the most powerful consoles occasionally get their showpiece title, and the average multiplatform game remains at a level a couple of notches below that.
I believe the PS4/x720/PC will be a force with lots of traction. But the main difference with the previous gen is the Wii U will benefit from a much friendlier environment than Wii did. PS3, x360, Wii U, smartphones, tablets (and Vita) will share close assets, and form a market probably just as big as the next next gen.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I'm a bit confused- that Eurogamer article said absolutely nothing new and frankly said nothing that would go against the consensus in this thread for months. Why are certain posters trumpeting the article as some new, profound breakthrough that "proves" their point?

Earendil

Hm... no. How much RAM do you think 720/PS4 will have? I'm betting 2 GB maximum.

It's probably somewhere in between your numbers and his, depending on the system. I have 8GB and am currently at 69% memory usage. The top 12 applications I have open or running are using a total of 2.5GB, and I figure the remaining processes are taking up another 1GB. That's 3.5GB out of the ~6GB being used right now, leaving 2.5GB for the system.

llI2B.png

RoadHazard

Gold Member

I think 2 GB is the minimum they will have; anything less would be awful, considering that we know developers are really limited by the 512 MB of the current HD consoles. But 2 GB would be acceptable, and a much more significant upgrade than 1 GB.

Yes, that's about what W7 usually eats up for me. So what's this about it using up 4 GB all by itself? That's ridiculous.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I believe the PS4/x720/PC will be a force with lots of traction. But the main difference with the previous gen is the Wii U will benefit from a much friendlier environment than Wii did. PS3, x360, Wii U, smartphones, tablets (and Vita) will share close assets, and form a market probably just as big as the next next gen.

Another major point. Another problem with publishers capitalizing on Wii's success was in building technology explicitly for it - Wii could do a lot more than a Gamecube but it was rarely taken advantage of outside Nintendo.

nordique

I think 2 GB is the minimum they will have; anything less would be awful, considering that we know developers are really limited by the 512 MB of the current HD consoles. But 2 GB would be acceptable, and a much more significant upgrade than 1 GB.

Yes, that's about what W7 usually eats up for me. So what's this about it using up 4 GB all by itself? That's ridiculous.

PS4 may very well end up with 2GB of ram (I think they might put more in personally) but the next Xbox should have well over 2GB, possibly 8GB though maybe only 6 of it will be for games

edit: beaten above >.<

Another major point. Another problem with publishers capitalizing on Wii's success was in building technology explicitly for it - Wii could do a lot more than a Gamecube but it was rarely taken advantage of outside Nintendo.

I think the consensus is that Wii was tricky to develop for. There's been several comments about how developer friendly the WiiU is.

PS4 may very well end up with 2GB of ram (I think they might put more in personally) but the next Xbox should have well over 2GB, possibly 8GB though maybe only 6 of it will be for games

What on Earth would they do with 6Gigs RAM for a game? Run 3 games at the same time?

I'm a bit confused- that Eurogamer article said absolutely nothing new and frankly said nothing that would go against the consensus in this thread for months. Why are certain posters trumpeting the article as some new, profound breakthrough that "proves" their point?

It's probably mainly down to the pathethic low RAM count. If true, 1GB is absolutely pathethic and really only widens the gap to what the next gen of engines and games will consume.

I sure hope they don't plan on selling this for more than 250 Bucks as anything above that would be robbery for what the machine will do. And in terms of long term viability... it seems the console has even problems getting current games, with developers actively distancing themselves from the WiiU, pushing brands like Bioshock actively away from association with it... well the writings are on the wall.

Again, I just hope Nintendo has made an effort to make their release calendar more stable as 3rd parties won't be filling in this time either... at least not beyond 2013.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
It's probably mainly down to the pathethic low RAM count. If true, 1GB is absolutely pathethic and really only widens the gap to what the next gen of engines and games will consume.

I sure hope they don't plan on selling this for more than 250 Bucks as anything above that would be robbery for what the machine will do. And in terms of long term viability... it seems the console has even problems getting current games, with developers actively distancing themselves from the WiiU, pushing brands like Bioshock actively away from association with it... well the writings are on the wall.

Again, I just hope Nintendo has made an effort to make their release calendar more stable as 3rd parties won't be filling in this time either... at least not beyond 2013.

I'll go on record as not expecting too much from Western 3rd parties, but if you objectively step back and look at Wii U's launch window software lineup, it is very strong this holiday if Black Ops 2 makes it. Very strong.

XenodudeX

It's going to be 300 bucks. Except it and move on.

Or don't buy it. I don't really care.

jerd

Thats ridiculously high. My PC has 6 but I'm not sure more than 3 of that is ever used. Thats why I'm ok with 1GB of usable RAM (assuming thats what it is) in a console. Should be very nice. Hopefully theres more to the cpu thing that we arent getting. Also, I might need to put IdeaMan on ignore because he's got me more hyped about this thing than ever ;-)

And how many did say"wow" cause it was running on Wii?
How many would have said "wow" if it were running on 360 or PS3?
not seeing what this has to do with IdeaMan's bet. people WILL say wow to some Wii U games even after the other consoles are out. it's a pretty safe bet.

Donnie

Well it provides nothing new, so it can't confirm anything. Unless you're prepared to believe the commentary parts which were deliberately not quoted directly for some odd reason..

Hate to keep saying it but we haven't learned anything new from that article and if you overclocked a 360 you wouldn't suddenly gain more advanced GPU features.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom