• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banned
Which Wii U game is supposed to best demonstrate Nintendo's new online system?

Black Ops 2. Fifa. Madden. Mass Effect 3 multiplayer.

I still find the gif jarring because while everything else is nice, the Pikmin and Olimar aren't rotating along with the lilypad >_>

Never noticed that. Heh. Well Nintendo is known for quality and polish so I don't think they will let that happen in the final build. It's a shame though, I wonder what a Pikmin built from the ground up for Wii U would look like instead of switching from the Wii halfway through. Maybe Pikmin 4 hehe.

I still find the gif jarring because while everything else is nice, the Pikmin and Olimar aren't rotating along with the lilypad >_>

yeah my post doesn't make sense now that I've reread the question.

I mean the "twitter" stuff.

Damn. I knew something was off about that.

zroid

Banned
Wow.

I thought Miiverse was the name of the online... Is it an actual game now?

Ummm... Miiverse "the game" can probably be compared to PS Home (in a very broad sense). It's like a central tool for game discovery and socializing. I believe there will also be Miiverse integration in some games, which would be what you're thinking of, I imagine.

Tehalemi

All aboard the pre-launch submarine!!! :D

submarine.jpg

ColbertPopcorn.gif

I know, I'm a little late. :p

Hopefully getting Wii U day 1... :D So excited!

DrLyme

Neo Member
My launch:
Black Wii U
Little Inferno (In all honesty though, if I had to get only one game, it would be this one)
NSMBU
Rayman Legends (if at launch)
Pikmin 3 (if at launch)

Possibly:
Batman AC: AE (only if it turns out that it isn't total crap like some people have been saying)
Chasing Aurora
Toki Tori 2

I typically go all out for a launch but I'll probably refrain for much of it because the majority of the games will already be out on other systems, (AC3, Batman:AC, COD).

I'll be getting
-Wii U System
-Pro Controller
-NintendoLand
-New Super Mario Bros. U
-Pikmin 3
-ZombiU
-Rayman Legends

D-e-f-

Banned
Wow.

I thought Miiverse was the name of the online... Is it an actual game now?

no. directly above your post:

?

Miiverse = Nintendo's online system.

it's part of the larger Nintendo Network that covers the 3DS as well.

Miiverse is the social part with all the messaging, multiplayer, interaction and stuff.
Nintendo Network is the thing behind it with the eShop and DLC and that kind of stuff.

beje

Banned
Ok, serious question: what's the point of getting, even budgetting, for a second gamepad when there's not a single game that supports it?

bryanee

I currently have pre-ordered

Wii U
Rayman
Mario
Assassins Creed 3
Zombi U

I'd also like to get Black Ops 2 for it and a couple other games but I'm not waiting longer than a week for that or AC3 so if the Wii U launch isnt until mid to late November here in the UK then I'll get them for the 360.

D-e-f-

Banned
Ok, serious question: what's the point of getting, even budgetting, for a second gamepad when there's not a single game that supports it?

I know I'm repeating myself but you're right, there isn't. They won't sell them until there is software that supports more than one. Just doesn't make sense to throw them out there at launch.

Once there is a game, they'll do a Wii Fit/Wii Sports Resort-like bundle (incl. 3rd Party bundles like those Circle Pad Pro/Monster Hunter or Resident Evil bundles or the Red Steel 2 Motion+ bundle) and then you'll be able to buy them.

MegalonJJ

Banned
After seeing the back of the WiiU for the first time the first thing I thought was...

So does this thing have some dongle for at least an audio optical out for those without proper hdmi receivers or is more than stereo out of the question? I dont want to have to include the price of a receiver and a car and gas and McDonalds and a speeding ticket cause im so hyped in the cost of purchase because Nintendo didn't want to include a $0.20 part that even the shittiest home electronics devices have had since pre Gamecube era. Its not like all games are suddenly going to be using a sound format that cant be delivered using an optical cable. Its just going to be DD5.1/DTS at best. I dont see Nintendo using uncompressed PCM.

I hope that was just a prototype for trade shows that are obviously set up to just have everything 1 cable and go and they haven't ignored optical output again.

It can do 6 channel (/5.1) PCM surround sound over HDMI. It's PCM because I imagine they don't want to pay the DD or DTS license fee (or whatever).

I might be wrong re the DD/DTS thing, but it can do 5.1 over HDMI. I don't think it can do optical out.

cnizzle06

Banned
How long is that damn console? I feel like they're deliberately hiding the length with strategic photos. That and someone on Gaf mentioned it's oddly long.

This will be a looooooong couple of weeks.

However, they better spill 100% of all info then otherwise I'll write a mean letter.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Luckily for you, half those games won't be there day one, the GamePad won't be sold separately, and the console itself will be $299 max ;)

GamePad isn't sold separately? I thought it could support two GamePads?

I still think the console will be $399. But no one else agrees with me, lol.

Either way, I'm prepared to drop about a grand on the launch of Wii U. Should cover everything I want. =)

Hoodbury

Which Wii U game is supposed to best demonstrate Nintendo's new online system?

Honestly, I'd say it'll probably be Cod and possibly ACIII. They both already have their own online systems they've used multiple times on previous games.

I still can't believe Nintendo drooped a big one and didn't add online to either Pikmin or Mario.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
GamePad isn't sold separately? I thought it could support two GamePads?

I still think the console will be $399. But no one else agrees with me, lol.

Either way, I'm prepared to drop about a grand on the launch of Wii U. Should cover everything I want. =)

Supports 2, but I believe Nintendo said that nothing coming out in Launch Window will need 2.

I want... No, I CRAVE some pikmin! I crave it more than the sweet taste of thunder monkey's prized figs. And that's a whole lot of craving.

KU_

I keep going back and forth on getting this day one or not. I have so many games in my backlog as it stands now, I don't know if I can justify the purchase this fall. I guess it comes down to price point. Either way, I'll eventually be purchasing the Wii U, so I am hyped!

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Supports 2, but I believe Nintendo said that nothing coming out in Launch Window will need 2.

Ah, that makes sense. I still want two, but I guess if nothing will support it, that'd be pointless. Come to think of it, I wonder if I should even buy Pro controllers.

Actually, I wonder if Pro controllers will be recognized as Classic Controllers. Like, could I play Brawl/Mario Kart Wii with the Pro controller? If the answer is yes, I could see myself buying 4 of those right off the bat.

Bah, but as I think about that, that'd probably be a stupid idea. I did that with Wiimotes, then they started releasing Wiimote+ and different colors. Now I have about 10 Wiimotes. I also did that with the original Classic Controller. Now I have 4 Classic Controllers and 2 pros.

Hmmm... What to do...

I keep going back and forth on getting this day one or not. I have so many games in my backlog as it stands now, I don't know if I can justify the purchase this fall. I guess it comes down to price point. Either way, I'll eventually be purchasing the Wii U, so I am hyped!

I was worried I would be in this situation, but luckily I've somehow managed to clear mine out. Just five stared NSMB2, so all I have left is to finish Xenoblade.

KU_

I was worried I would be in this situation, but luckily I've somehow managed to clear mine out. Just five stared NSMB2, so all I have left is to finish Xenoblade.

I've actually taken a nice chunk out of mine over the past few weeks as well, but starting in October I plan on adding about five to seven more games to it. This conference September 13th is going to make the choice even harder.

Banned
iA07R8mRdf8pA.gif

The Pikmin's power levels are so high that they float an inch of the ground and force objects underneath them to move.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom