• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to see more. I'll likely not be able to buy on launch, but so far, it's not really getting me on the "must-have" levels of hype.

The_Lump

Banned
Woohoo! I suddenly feel more hyped. Dat new thread smell is intoxicating.

Im hoping for pikmin/Mario and zombiu day one (nintendoland will be pack in, or else I'll steal it and ram it into the box on the way to the counter) - then possibly ac3 or darksiders for Christmas. Decisions decisions.

Drago

If I do end up getting money for the system + games, I'll be getting:

White WiiU system ($299, hopefully w/ NintendoLand as I won't get it otherwise)
White Pro Controller ($49)
Black GamePad ($79) and Pro Controller (maybe)
NSMBU ($50... I'm hoping)

And already preordered on NewEgg for $10 off each:
Rayman Legends ($40)
ACIII ($50)
ZombiU ($50)
Sonic Racing Transformed ($30)

Plus maybe another game or two for Christmas. I need money :/

y u no like Pikmin? :(

Dey be crazy

iA07R8mRdf8pA.gif

beje

Banned
If there's enough hidden-for-now support shown for the first year (to be determined in future Nintendo Directs and the September conference) I think I'll just get ZombiU, enough to keep me entertained while I clear some Wii backlog and the first batch of games start reaching 20 pounds bomba in Amazon, mainly Rayman, and probably P-100 if they manage to have it ready for launch.

If not, I really can wait until next summer or so. And no way I'm paying more than 250€ for it.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I had no idea I was so..prolific in the last thread.

Anyways, I'll likely be there at launch if the next few weeks show signs of quality Japanese support.

18-Volt

Wait, P-100 and Lego City Undercover are confirmed to be 2013 ?

No but only 3 Nintendo titles advertised for launch: NSMBU, Ninja Gaiden 3 and Nintendoland. There sure won't be a flood of first party games at launch but I don't expect any of them to be released in december either.

I'm with you. My SD TV is pretty awesome looking. I've never had a need for an HD TV because I don't have bluray, hd channels, hd systems, etc. but I really do want to change that for the Wii U.
me 3 looking for a nice hdtv for a small room. I have 52 inch one but its old model and it wont fit in the small room Im moving into.

y u no like Pikmin? :(

I've never actually played a Pikmin before. I always assumed it was Nintendo's take on the RTS/world-building genre? Still not really sure.

If I pick up a Wii U day one, Pikmin will probably be my game, as well as some virtual console games, as none of the other launch games really appeal to me.

After E3 i would only expect a release date, price and launch day games for the September 13th event, if we get any more news then it will be awesome !, if not we won't be let down.

beje

Banned
I had no idea I was so..prolific in the last thread.

Anyways, I'll likely be there at launch if the next few weeks show signs of quality Japanese support.

Quality Japanese support sadly means nothing if it's over-the-top stuff with zero chances to make it to the West due to being extremely wacky or niche.

The_Lump

Banned

White WiiU system ($299, hopefully w/ NintendoLand as I won't get it otherwise)
White Pro Controller ($49)
NSMBU ($50... I'm hoping)

And already preordered on NewEgg for $10 off each:
Rayman Legends ($40)
ACIII ($50)
ZombiU ($50)
Sonic Racing Transformed ($30)

Oh christ, I forgot about Rayman Legends....and Trine 2 :/ My wallet is screwed.

zroid

Banned
I've never actually played a Pikmin before. I always assumed it was Nintendo's take on the RTS/world-building genre? Still not really sure.

If I pick up a Wii U day one, Pikmin will probably be my game, as well as some virtual console games, as none of the other launch games really appeal to me.

What are you doing, Pikmin 2's just 20 bucks!

D-e-f-

Banned

people, they will not sell GamePads seperately!

Touch

My launch doesn't look that bad. Just the console with Mario and which ever other title interest me the most. I don't go all out at launch. I might pick up a pro controller if the other title can be used.

zroid

Banned
Launch window is pretty brutal for me

• New Super Mario Bros. U
  • Pikmin 3
  • Project P-100
  • Rayman Legends
  • Trine 2 DC

That's bare minimum, by the way. No idea how I'm going to afford this.

Roo

By the way, this just crossed my mind..
Will some of you guys replay the Wii games you have and create new files instead of transfer the save data from Wii?
I know some games like Metroid Prime (trilogy) or Smash would be a little too much but smaller games like NSMBWii, Mario Kart, Paper Mario, Donkey, etc should be a piece of cake.

I'll do it for a lot of my games :D

D-e-f-

Banned

I'm assuming when YOU hear the words RTS you think of Starcraft/Warcraft/Command&Conquer/etc? 'Cause that's not at all what Pikmin is. I know people keep throwing around the RTS stamp when talking about Pikmin but I think this gives a weird impression.

You control up to 100 of the little Pikmin, there is no economy or construction element or anything like that. You have these little things and you order them around to carry things, attack enemies or destroy/repair obstacles to progress on the map. The first game had three types of Pikmin with various special abilities (water resistant, fire resistant+strong, very light+throw bombs).

Your goal in the first game was to repair your ship so you had to collect parts. The strategy element that lead to people calling an RTS came from that. You can only run around during the day. Days are quite short (15minutes?) and there was a 30 day time limit in the first game (they took that out in Pikmin 2) so you had to budget your time and strategize which parts of your ship you'd go for on a particular day and what types of Pikmin you needed.

It really isn't like other RTS games at all so don't get hung up on that.

Stewox

Banned
I'm looking to upgrade to a 1080p set at around Christmas. I've been trying to research, but I have no idea what I should be looking for.

HDTVs market is complete mess, i had to research a lot on AVFORUMS.com for like 2 months, i switched my choices 10 times, eventually ended up with Samsung UE40D6750 , note that UE stands for europe, the model number is made up of parts, like 40 means inch, D means 2011 date, 6 means series, 750 is level of features.

It's a ton of stuff you need to know that I can't possibly explain right now, this is the first time i bought HDTVs, it was last year, and took some serious time and research to figure out what's behind the scenes of what your going to get for the money, one of the most important things is panel lottery and casual barrier

You don't want to go cheap with HDTVs, anything below 900 Euro is casual, you'll have panel lottery as well as crappy laggy firmware UI (takes ages to switch channels) ... anything above 1000 is considered okay, since you wont have to worry about panel lottery at higher models.

But still, it don't expect miracles, this one that I have is the best for the buck and screen looks great but the integrated web browser just stinks but it's about screen quality and main features , plus i found a local store which had this model refurbished, got it for 700 Euro, freaking deal, new one costs 1200 Euro.

Make sure it has LED backlight if you plan for LCD, if your rich you can go for OLED but that is still in pretty early stages.

As I saw it, anything below series 5 definitely has lottery, anything above not, not sure about the 5 series it self though.

I also bought previously a cheaper UE40C530 for parents who don't need any special stuff on the TV, so i know the experience how it is with cheap ones, still it was not ultra cheap, feature set is lowest level but it was not the crappiest of HDTVs around, there are crappier than this, but the big comparrison is ... the actual LCD screen quality is of HUGE HUMONGUS difference, on my UE40D6750 LED stuff in SD looks beautiful while on the cheaper one (which is also non LED) it looks like you would expect a stretched SD signal, and actual HD signal is a lot better on the LED one, ... just don't get me wrong by LED stuff i just used for reference, LED backlight makes it just much lighter, thiner, lower power consumption, better life etc.

Drago

people, they will not sell GamePads seperately!
Really? :(

That cements me getting a white system then. I sorta prefer the black WiiU unit but I vastly prefer the White controllers and GamePad. Seeing as I'll be looking at the Pad most of the time and there is only one... White it is.

chris3116

My launch titles would be :

New Super Mario Bros U
Pikmin 3
P-100
Lego City Undercover
Darksiders II
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed

eShop
Trine 2 DC
Cloudberry Kingdom
Mighty Swich Force HD
Toki Tori 2
Little Inferno

Not bad at all

Fou-Lu

After E3 I was feeling kinda 'eh about the Wii U because my hype had been so high, but after some time to let the potential launch line up gel... I'm all in; day one!

Pikmin 3, P-100, ZombiU, Rayman Legends, NSMBU, Scribblenauts, and Nintendo Land. It's an exciting launch window.

Roo

That cements me getting a white system then. I sorta prefer the black WiiU unit but I vastly prefer the White controllers and GamePad. Seeing as I'll be looking at the Pad most of the time and there is only one... White it is.

I don't know why do you even want to buy a second gamepad.
since all the launch games (and most likely launch window games) don't support two gamepads

D-e-f-

Banned

There is just no need. There will be zero games that use 2 pads for at least the first 6 months. They have to manufacture tons of system for the holiday season and unnecessary extra gamepads that hardly anybody would buy because there is no software to support two pads at this point would just be a huge waste of resources.

I don't know, I still think they might. If the console didn't support two GPs, it would be a definite no, but it would be silly if you couldn't utilize two GPs without a friend coming over.

They eventually will, sure. But definitely (in my opinion) not right at launch. I would literally be irritated and mildly shocked if they sold them seperately right out of the gate.

D-e-f-

Banned
Which Wii U game is supposed to best demonstrate Nintendo's new online system?

from what we know RIGHT NOW ... probably ZombiU and/or NSMB.U--but we barely know any specifics other than what ZombiU does so that question is better asked again after September 13.

ampere

If I get it at launch I'm not sure which games I would buy. Probably just Pikmin 3, and then mess around with the new UI a lot and play old VC games lol

Teletraan1

Banned
After seeing the back of the WiiU for the first time the first thing I thought was...

So does this thing have some dongle for at least an audio optical out for those without proper hdmi receivers or is more than stereo out of the question? I dont want to have to include the price of a receiver and a car and gas and McDonalds and a speeding ticket cause im so hyped in the cost of purchase because Nintendo didn't want to include a $0.20 part that even the shittiest home electronics devices have had since pre Gamecube era. Its not like all games are suddenly going to be using a sound format that cant be delivered using an optical cable. Its just going to be DD5.1/DTS at best. I dont see Nintendo using uncompressed PCM.

I hope that was just a prototype for trade shows that are obviously set up to just have everything 1 cable and go and they haven't ignored optical output again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom