• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrLyme

Neo Member
Not committing yet since I still have no idea what the game is, but I would be very surprised if I didn't day 1 this.

Yeah, I normally try to keep my expectations low for most things, but I just loved World of Goo so much. I can't wait to find out what this game is about and how it will play.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Is this new?

Prince of Persia creator's Karateka remake confirmed for Wii U

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/08/2...tors-new-karateka-remake-confirmed-for-wii-u/

Back in 1984, Prince of Persia creator, Jordan Mechner, developed a beat-em-up known as Karateka. In Karateka, you played as a practitioner of martial arts, who sets out to rescue a princess from the evil Akuma. As you may have heard, Karateka is now getting a modern remake, also developed by Mechner.

This game is in development for the PC, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and iOS, but an ESRB rating reveals that Karateka is also headed to the Wii U. The game has a T (Teen) rating.

In the new Karateka, you’ll get to play as three Japanese warriors, once again attempting to rescue a princess from an evil warlord.

Mifune

Mehmber
OP says that "at the moment" the Wii U does not upscale Wii games. Is there even a possibility that this might happen?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
OP says that "at the moment" the Wii U does not upscale Wii games. Is there even a possibility that this might happen?

There has never been an indication otherwise.

hwy_61

Banned

I didn't even know this was a thing. A GameStop employee was telling me that he was excited for the Wii U because it upscaled all Wii games. I was like, hmm that doesn't sound right at all.

1kLQw.png

Mifune

Mehmber
Thanks, guys. That's a bummer. I'm intrigued by the Wii U but upscaled Wii games would really push me toward getting one at launch, since I still haven't played Twilight Princess and some others.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
glad to see this thread. I can barely wait any more for the WiiU. I'm going to buy it, open it, sniff it and lick it

please find me a seat on the Hype Train!

The Wii U will likely upscale all Wii games. However, it will not render games at a higher internal resolution, which is what I think you guys are actually talking about (and is what Dolphin does to make some games look gorgeous).

All Wii Virtual Console and WiiWare titles will also be able to be transfered to your Wii U console (and presumably to your new eShop account as well).

This must be old news to you guys (not one's talking about it) but it's new to me. So I can transfer all my wiiware and vc games from my wii and sell it off? When was this confirmed?

Tmdean

Banned
Has Nintendo said whether you can play Wii games on the Gamepad? That would be a great feature, and it seems like a no brainer given the built in sensor bar.

Mifune

Mehmber
The Wii U will likely upscale all Wii games. However, it will not render games at a higher internal resolution, which is what I think you guys are actually talking about (and is what Dolphin does to make some games look gorgeous).

Now I'm totally confused. Even if it did what the PS3 did for PS2 games (before it got de-BCed), that would be great. Is this what you mean by upscale?

Possibly getting one day 1 just for Pikmin, body is ready
tumblr_m91zi7xxDy1rc9rl4o1_250.gif

Has Nintendo said whether you can play Wii games on the Gamepad? That would be a great feature, and it seems like a no brainer given the built in sensor bar.

Nope not yet, haven't really said expanded about Wii playback just that it will support it.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Upscalling of Wii games would be amazing. Guess I'll just stick with Dolphin, though.

I wonder how cheap it would be to build just a Dolphin rig...

Haliela

YESSSS! Nov. 18th is all but official at this point. There will be requests put in for time off from work. I'm that stoked.

There is just something shitty about the wii's component output and to be honest, the gamecube's component (yeah, I have the cable) output. Hopefully it's the systems and not the actual software, and the wiiu is able to do a better job for wii titles.

Banned
Guys this should all be covered in the OP.

Confirmed:
  • Wii U will NOT upscale Wii games
  • Wii U will have limited internal flash memory for the OS and built in apps
  • Wii U supports any external USB HDD drive or USB stick for memory
  • All Wii peripherals work with the Wii U, including the Classic Controller Pro, Wii Fit board, Wii Zapper, Wii Remote Plus, and Classic Controller
Not Confirmed:
  • Being able to play Wii games on Wii U tablet (probably not, as the ability to make a Wii U game stream to just the tablet is an optional feature that must be coded by the developer. It doesn't work by default. But not confirmed.

Guys this should all be covered in the OP.

Confirmed:
  • Wii U will NOT upscale Wii games
  • Wii U will have limited internal flash memory for the OS and built in apps
  • Wii U supports any external USB HDD drive or USB stick for memory
  • All Wii peripherals work with the Wii U, including the Classic Controller Pro, Wii Fit board, Wii Zapper, Wii Remote Plus, and Classic Controller
All of this is already in the OP.
And we don't know 100% if the Wii U won't upscale yet either.

News from ibm watson twitter:

"WiiU has 45nm custom chip ... a SOI design & packs same processor tech found in #IBMWatson"

https://twitter.com/IBMWatson/status/240241146213842944

So whoever runs the IBM twitter is presumably using Engadget's interpretation of an IBM press release as their source to say it has the "same chip" as the Watson. lol.

When all the IBM PR actually says is that it's Power-based, 45 nm and has eDRAM i.e. "technology that powers the Watson".

lherre already confirmed the leaked specs as the "true specs" which describe a three-core PowerPC based CPU. While Arkam has said that "enhanced Broadway"* is directly from Nintendo.

(*Which I would read as derivative of Broadway, rather than three Broadway CPUs duct taped together.)

Banned
All of this is already in the OP.
And we don't know 100% if the Wii U won't upscale yet either.

Dude, it's confirmed. This quote is from January.

I asked about the possibility of playing Wii games in high definition, and was flatly told that the hardware will not be able to improve the resolution of Wii games.

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/01/wii-u-ces/
This one is from Reggie at E3 2011.
Nintendo of America Reggie Fils-Aime revealed the news in an interview with GameTrailers this week. "It will not do that," he said when asked about the possibility. "That's really driven by the hardware, and the original Wii games were built for a specific type of hardware. There's no mechanism to quote-unquote 'up-res' that unless we launch a brand-new game." Giant Bomb also confirmed that this is the case with Nintendo PR director Mark Franklin.
http://www.1up.com/news/wii-games-wont-look-nicer-wii-u

What your going to get, is HD collections to make bank like Sony did. Get ready for the Super Mario Galaxy HD collection featuring Galaxy 1 and 2 upscaled to 720p and added AA. And of course, the Zelda HD collection with Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword and (hopefully) Wind Waker.

jerd

I've done some self-hyping today when I realized that the Wii U can really enhance my two favorite genres by:

1) Creating the best pure RTS experience ever on a console thanks to touch controls
and 2) Streamline experiences in all forms of RPGs.

Hyping games that don't exist yet!

WillyFive

I've done some self-hyping today when I realized that the Wii U can really enhance my two favorite genres by:

1) Creating the best pure RTS experience ever on a console thanks to touch controls
and 2) Streamline experiences in all forms of RPGs.

Hyping games that don't exist yet!

That's how it was with the Wiimote too.

jerd

That's how it was with the Wiimote too.

True. We thought we would get the first legit Sword/Light Sabre games and revolutionize shooters (some would still argue it did but not to the mainstream) and we didn't really get that. It just seems too perfect. Someone on the previous Wii U thread was talking about a game in which you controlled your units on the gamepad screen while a full scale battle was occurring on screen. This stuff NEEDS to happen on Wii U. But, I suppose history indicates it will not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom