• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Virtual Console - News and Releases

Svafnir

I just played a ton of Kirby's Adventure and I must say I really like the Virtual Console. Remapping controls and save snapshots are so useful.

Terrell

7 games after 6 months on the Wii U. Good job, good effort Nintendo. You're trollin us is an achievement in of itself.
tumblr_m5wg2lPVr81rt86sto1_500.png

Doing something that people disagree with is trolling now? Wow, has that term ever degraded into worthlessness.

They've had YEARS to have this done.

And if Virtual Console were the only thing they had to do ever, then this would be a valid point.
Their priorities are obviously elsewhere. Where are their priorities? I dunno, cuz I don't dictate what Nintendo does or does not do, and neither does anyone else except voting shareholders, so all we can do is ask where their attention was misdirected to and why, until we get the answer to shed light on the situation at hand.

That is the issue. Just like with the launch of the Wii U, it had years to get it right and it still failed EVEN after promising it learned from the 3DS debacle launch. Nintendo is akin to that procrastinator in high school who had three months to do an essay and comes to class with an excuse that his dog ate it.

Because everything always happens exactly the way YOU say it will and you've NEVER made a mistake or fallen victim to unfortunate circumstances, amirite?

Never mind the fact that they didn't make any promises to live up to with Virtual Console, no matter how much better we all wanted it to be.

You're expecting something from a multi-national corporation that's unattainable. They're not perfect, none of them, and acting as though any miscalculation, any accident, anything that causes a negative impact on your experience is purposeful and done out of sheer laziness? WOW.

Shit happens, dude. You can't change it and, in some cases, neither can game companies. Be disappointed, but don't be overly dramatic about the situation.

tl:dr version? #dealwithit

And if Virtual Console were the only thing they had to do ever, then this would be a valid point.
Their priorities are obviously elsewhere. Where are their priorities? I dunno, cuz I don't dictate what Nintendo does or does not do, and neither does anyone else except voting shareholders, so all we can do is ask where their attention was misdirected to and why, until we get the answer to shed light on the situation at hand.

Because everything always happens exactly the way YOU say it will and you've NEVER

Hire a team of at least 6 programmers to work on Virtual Console. Have it ready with Wii U compatible features within 6 months of launch. Have 2 years of time (which is quite generous since these are old games and easier to deal with code).

Done. Yes Nintendo has lots to do, and......that's why you hire different people to do different tasks. Nintendo had different teams work on different chunks of the OS, the Virtual Console is no different.

ffs they couldn't done it through india/odesk

Terrell

Hire a team of at least 6 programmers to work on Virtual Console. Have it ready with Wii U compatible features within 6 months of launch. Have 2 years of time (which is quite generous since these are old games and easier to deal with code).

Done. Yes Nintendo has lots to do, and......that's why you hire different people to do different tasks. Nintendo had different teams work on different chunks of the OS, the Virtual Console is no different.

ffs they couldn't done it through india/odesk

They wouldn't outsource the information required to perform this task, not in a million years, and ESPECIALLY not ahead of a hardware launch.

And the Gamepad design/functionality wasn't finished until... what was it, 6 months before launch? So your 2-year estimate for the time they had available is all out of sorts. They could have had them up on the Wii U eShop without Gamepad features, of course, but then people would be bitching and moaning about that instead, so I would suppose they opted to wait to offer the total package. But as I said, I don't know the details, so it's speculative, at best.

"Throw people and money at it" isn't a solution to every problem in business, especially when we don't know what the problem even is and are only speculating at it in the first place.

MegalonJJ

Banned
Unfortunately there is very, very little mention of the 50hz thing on the Kirby board. I guess people just assume it's 60hz because F-Zero and Punch Out!! were. The 60hz protest volume for those games was huge.

But let's keep posting anyway.

img1087ldy.jpg

Exactly.

In fact thanks to the web Miiverse access, it should be even easier to spread the word (and garner "yeahs" for Nintendo to take notice. Politely of course).

Here's my post on the 60Hz request :)

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYQHAAABAADYUV6lbKZY8w

MegalonJJ

Banned
Aye that's true, I'll delete that comment.

We should link to similar post we've made in the 50Hz Wii U thread to spread word to all of PAL-land Gaf. Let's do this guys :)

Czigga

They wouldn't outsource the information required to perform this task, not in a million years, and ESPECIALLY not ahead of a hardware launch.

And the Gamepad design/functionality wasn't finished until... what was it, 6 months before launch? So your 2-year estimate for the time they had available is all out of sorts. They could have had them up on the Wii U eShop without Gamepad features, of course, but then people would be bitching and moaning about that instead, so I would suppose they opted to wait to offer the total package. But as I said, I don't know the details, so it's speculative, at best.

"Throw people and money at it" isn't a solution to every problem in business, especially when we don't know what the problem even is and are only speculating at it in the first place.

at least you're admitting there is a problem

Terrell

at least you're admitting there is a problem

I don't see many people who aren't. When we were still on the outside looking in, there was at least a hope of a substantial launch that could make everyone happy. That time is over. We can only look to the future now, and if Nintendo can provide substantial new VC releases monthly or weekly to the tune of 8-10, then the situation, while far from ideal, isn't hopeless.

It's not the giant apocalyptic crater it's being made out to be by some, but GOOD? Nah. Now it's a matter of whether or not it's salvageable.

We can only look to the future now, and if Nintendo can provide substantial new VC releases monthly or weekly to the tune of 8-10, then the situation, while far from ideal, isn't hopeless.

There's no reason, looking at the end of the Wii's life and the current 3DS situation, to think that they will do so though.

8 titles at launch, and maybe 2 more each month if we're lucky. When does this amazing service launch? Sad thing is, I still will spend $1.50 to get SMW on the game pad.

The thing that most interests me about the Wii U Virtual Console launch is seeing how they're going to be handling the 50hz/60hz thing going forward. I figured it'd just be dumping US roms (at least, for AU and the UK) after F-Zero and Punch-Out!! but then they went and screwed it up with Kirby so there's no telling what's going to happen from here on out.

Bert

Yknow I've just donated my old consoles to my classroom wall and was planning on rebuying them on Wii U because the gamepad is so awesome for playing 2D games.

But it looks like Ill be investing in something to emulate instead and play ROMs

I don't get it, does Nintendo actually realise the actual value of these games and that putting seemingly as much effort as a retail game to get them "perfect" is just a waste of time.

Port some emulators over and sell the ones you've done perfectly as "master edition" or se shit for those that care.

Wii U Japanese Virtual Console

Launch Games (April 27th):

Fire Emblem: Monsho no Nazo (SNES, Nintendo, 900 yen)
Super Mario Picross (SNES, Nintendo, 800 yen)
Mother 2 (SNES, Nintendo, 900 yen)
Fire Emblem: Seisen no Keifu (SNES, Nintendo, 900 yen)
Super Ghouls'n Ghosts (SNES, Capcom, 800 yen)
Super Mario World (SNES, Nintendo, 800 yen)
F-Zero (SNES, Nintendo, 800 yen)
Balloon Fight (NES, Nintendo, 500 yen)
Downtown Nekketsu Konshinkyoku (NES, Arc System Works, 500 yen)
Xevious (NES, Namco Bandai Games, 500 yen)
Spelunker (NES, Tozai Games, 500 yen)
Excite Bike (NES, Nintendo, 500 yen)
Ice Climbers (NES, Nintendo, 500 yen)

May 1st:
Kirby Super Star (SNES, Nintendo, 800 yen)
Megaman 3 (NES, Capcom, 500 yen)
Solomon's Key (NES, Koei Tecmo Games, 500 yen)

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/software/vc/index.html

Mileena

Banned
Why is their lineup so much better than ours? Hopefully I don't have to wait until tonight to download Super Mario World.
It's not that much better. And looks like its gonna be a slow trickle after the launch after all. Japan getting 2 NES/1 SNES and Nintendo actually likes them :[

Somnid

It's interesting Japan is starting with Mega Man 3. I guess they don't care for continuity of releases anymore.

Xevious is a Japanese launch title? Its almost like NOA and NOE couldn't be bothered to ask Bamco (or any other third party) about the VC...

The thing that most interests me about the Wii U Virtual Console launch is seeing how they're going to be handling the 50hz/60hz thing going forward. I figured it'd just be dumping US roms (at least, for AU and the UK) after F-Zero and Punch-Out!! but then they went and screwed it up with Kirby so there's no telling what's going to happen from here on out.
Here is my guess:
Game does not have French or German translation > Release in 60Hz
Game has French or German translation and is optimised > Release in 50Hz

Here is my hope:
Game has French or German translation and is not optimised > Release in 60Hz
Game has French or German translation and is optimised > Release English verison in 60Hz (French and German people who wish to play in English will have to make a UK NNID and download form there...just like they have to switch country on 3DS...)

For the NES Kirby is just about the only game that got a translation. For the SNES a lot more got translated. This also makes me wonder how the 3DS VC would have handled Kirby but I guess the 3D Classics version mean we will never find out.

Anyone else think the games are a bit steeply priced?

I think their mistake is pricing all the games based on console.

Ice Climber is not worth the same price as Super Mario Bros. It's foolish for Nintendo to price them the same. Make the throwaway NES games 99 cents a piece and watch them sell like crazy. $5? Not so much.

But Nintendo is stubborn. They're not changing that anytime soon.

deviant1

Wow, how much more can Nintendo botch the WiiU?

I'll buy Super Metroid for 30 cents and never even look at the eShop or VC ever again.

Chopper

Guys. I'm ready to do my Wii transfer, now that the VC is coming. Do I need a new SD card, or can I use the one in my Wii (with aaaaaall my VC and Wii Ware titles already on it)?

There's no way all my downloads can fit on my Wii internal memory. Do I have to do multiple transfers?!

Drago

Anyone else think the games are a bit steeply priced?

It should be 2.99 for NES and 4.99 for SNES games if you ask me. Almost all of the NES games they're offering aren't even worth $3 to me (and I have all 6 of them on 3DS already...)

I just hope we see a lot of VC sales.

qwerty2k

I just think £5.50 or whatever ($8 ish) is a bit steep for a SNES game tbh, i would expect to pickup an n64 game for that price, maybe it's just me.

Richie

I think there mistake is pricing all the games based on console.

Ice Climber is not worth the same price as Super Mario Bros. It's foolish for Nintendo to price them the same. Make the throwaway NES games 99 cents a piece and watch them sell like crazy. $5? Not so much.

But Nintendo is stubborn. They're not changing that anytime soon.

This man knows what's up.
My foolish optimistic self hopes that they compare Balloon Fight's sales when it was 30 cents, as opposed to what it's gonna do once it's 5 bucks, reach the logical conclusion, and take action.
I mean, there's no way in Hell I'd buy the likes of NES' Yoshi for 5 dollars. For 1/3 of one, why not?

Plus frequent sales and a new 30¢ game every single month.

How plausible it is that they realize the money-printing-license that is the 30 cents monthly promotion, and extend it to cover the whole console's life?

Drago

If I were in charge:

$1.99 for GB
$2.99 for NES / SMS / GBC / GG
$4.99 for SNES / Genesis / TG-16
$5.99 for GBA / Neo Geo
$6.99 for N64

I'm hoping that Nintendo will experiment with temporary sales for their Wii U VC titles now, as they have been on the 3DS, and that they will use the data from that. They seem to respond to survey data and sales, so hard evidence that a range of prices - and lower prices - boost sales would probably encourage them to adjust their approach to their VC catalogue.

I would be very surprised if they ever went to 99c/99p for NES games, though. They are still keen to preserve the value of their back-catalogue and they've clearly done this successfully so far. Can't see them throwing that away by running deep discounts.

Jackano

If I were in charge:

$1.99 for GB
$2.99 for NES / SMS / GBC / GG
$4.99 for SNES / Genesis / TG-16
$5.99 for GBA / Neo Geo
$6.99 for N64

I agree, globaly on your pricing :) I will just shift GBA and SNES.
Plus, ambassadors will get all the first-party NES games for free. After all, they already did this with the get your friends wiis online programm.

Guys. I'm ready to do my Wii transfer, now that the VC is coming. Do I need a new SD card, or can I use the one in my Wii (with aaaaaall my VC and Wii Ware titles already on it)?

There's no way all my downloads can fit on my Wii internal memory. Do I have to do multiple transfers?!

The Wii > Wii U system transfer doesn't really use much Wii U internal memory. It only needs enough space to hold whatever was in your Wii's internal memory, which is capped at 512 MB. Any games you have on the SD card (WiiWare, Virtual Console) will stay there, but the license itself is the only usable part that is transferred. You will have to re-download the games themselves on the Wii U, through the Wii Shop Channel in Wii Mode. I know, this is asinine. The whole transfer utility is a hack that barely addresses Nintendo's bizarre DRM, and the Wii's SD card functionality was already a hack to address complaints about "cleaning the fridge". I recommend committing your old Wii SD card to the Wii U slot, permanently. If the SD card is nearly full, you may need to back-up via PC and delete unusable data (game channels) to create space on it for the transfer. Leave your saves on there, though -- they will transfer.

Also note that most content will be deleted from your old Wii in this process, as Nintendo only allows the licenses to be on one system at a time. The transfer channel will explain most of this when you start, and it's worth paying attention.

Chopper

The Wii > Wii U system transfer doesn't really use much Wii U internal memory. It only needs enough space to hold whatever was in your Wii's internal memory, which is capped at 512 MB. Any games you have on the SD card (WiiWare, Virtual Console) will stay there, but the license itself is the only usable part that is transferred. You will have to re-download the games themselves on the Wii U, through the Wii Shop Channel in Wii Mode. I know, this is asinine. The whole transfer utility is a hack that barely addresses Nintendo's bizarre DRM, and the Wii's SD card functionality was already a hack to address complaints about "cleaning the fridge".

Also note that most content will be deleted from your old Wii in this process, as Nintendo only allows the licenses to be on one system at a time. The transfer channel will explain most of this when you start, and it's worth paying attention.
So what aout the games sat on the SD card in my Wii? Are they now redundant? I that's the only "spare" SD card I have kicking about, can I reformat it to use in my Wii U despite the fact my games are all already there?!

Edit: Just seen your edit. I'm still baffled.

Top Bottom