• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Virtual Console - News and Releases

javac

Everything gets its own Miiverse community, yes.

Seems like its going to get convoluted and cluttered really quick when they (if they) release loads of games like for example the 80+ games for the Wii Virtual console launch. Or am I just being weird? I haven't gone on Miiverse properly for a while now.

Sendou

Seems like its going to get convoluted and cluttered really quick when they (if they) release loads of games like for example the 80+ games for the Wii Virtual console launch. Or am I just being weird? I haven't gone on Miiverse properly for a while now.

There will be many communities when all is said and done. Even some 3DS games will receive them this year. Key points being the ability to search for a community, highlighted communities that change from time to time and your gaming library limiting the communities you see on top.

The Japanese Miiverse, at least, is now sectioned off between Retail Games/Eshop Games, VC Games, Special (Luigi & Zelda), and Other (apps).

It's called a filtering function.

What Nintendo needs to do is allow you to filter Miiverse communities based on keywords and alphabetical order. Right now everything is a mess.

The Japanese Miiverse, at least, is now sectioned off between Retail Games/Eshop Games, VC Games, Special (Luigi & Zelda), and Other (apps).
But what happens once there are, say, 200 Virtual Console games to download?

javac

There will be many communities when all is said and done. Even some 3DS games will receive them this year. Key points being the ability to search for a community, highlighted communities that change from time to time and your gaming library limiting the communities you see on top.

Ah yeah that makes sense. For a second I totally forgot about filtering tools and what not. Makes sense! Look forward to seeing all the creative stuff on there with more games out! Oh and people pestering Iwata for localisations!

Just realized my favorite part of miiverse on PC

I can load it up and see if a new vc community was added, which should mean a new vc game is up, without having to wait for the wii u to boot up

Chrom

Seems like it! As official as it will ever be! I guess it's just a matter of what time!

Has this been cleared up, the Virtual console will exist on the eShop right? No dedicated store?

Yes, Virtual Console is on the eShop.

Chopper

Seriously, what am I doing with the SD card inside my Wii with all my VC games on it during this Wii U transfer? Why is this so complicated?! Do I have to do it more than once if I have a shitload of stuff on the card?

Somnid

Seriously, what am I doing with the SD card inside my Wii with all my VC games on it during this Wii U transfer? Why is this so complicated?! Do I have to do it more than once if I have a shitload of stuff on the card?

It's literally copying everything in the Wii's flash memory and moving it. Saves, apps, settings etc.

Chopper

It's literally copying everything in the Wii's flash memory and moving it. Saves, apps, settings etc.
Yeah, okay. But I have a shitload of games on my SD card, and no spare SD card. Can I not use the same card in my Wii U as in my Wii? Or can I do so as long as I transfer my games back onto the system memory? In which case I'll have to do multiplle transfers, which I'm not even sure is possible...

This should work like the 3DS transfer, but appears to be far more complicated. :/

Meelow

Banned
Emily Rogers was correct on all 3 things. Miiverse was coming to Smartphones/PC this week. Nobody reported this. In North America, Firmware update came Thursday. Virtual console came Friday.

I just think £5.50 or whatever ($8 ish) is a bit steep for a SNES game tbh, i would expect to pickup an n64 game for that price, maybe it's just me.
The only consolation I can give you is it would have been £7.30 if it were not for the Wii Shop prices being grandfathered. Also Mario's Super Picross is the same price as all SNES games rather than 1 Euro more.

But yeah pricing should be more tierd but a general rule of thumb is slash the prices in half accross the board. Also I'd like to see more of the 30p games if for a sort of "gaming club" theme thing rather than anything else.

Emily Rogers was correct on all 3 things. Miiverse was coming to Smartphones/PC this week. Nobody reported this. In North America, Firmware update came Thursday. Virtual console came Friday.

Didn't someone find the japanese miiverse link before she said it? Not doubting her though

Somnid

Yeah, okay. But I have a shitload of games on my SD card, and no spare SD card. Can I not use the same card in my Wii U as in my Wii? Or can I do so as long as I transfer my games back onto the system memory? In which case I'll have to do multiplle transfers, which I'm not even sure is possible...

This should work like the 3DS transfer, but appears to be far more complicated. :/

Step 1: the Wii U formats the card and I think adds an encryption key (So that you can't transfer to multiple Wii Us, just this one)

Step 2: The card goes in the Wii. All files are copied to the card and a secondary record of each piece of downloaded software is made on Nintendo's servers. Wii memory is purged.

Step 3: The card goes in the Wii U. All files are dumped on the Wii U and the server accounts sync up.

I believe Wii mode creates a new encryption key so your SD card won't work. You'll have to redownload.

tuffy

You're not going to be able to simply move a card full of games from the Wii to the Wii U after the system transfer and have it work; you'll need to re-download any titles not in the Wii's system memory from the store in order to get them back on the card. System transfer moves your saves so you won't lose any progress, but starting bunch of downloads is still a hassle.

Oddduck

Didn't someone find japanese miiverse link before she said it? Not doubting her though

From what I've heard (and I could be wrong on this) but she told ShockingAlberto about it a day before that Japanese miiverse link went up.

Maybe Alberto can clarify this though. Not sure what she exactly told him.

Chopper

Step 1: the Wii U formats the card and I think adds an encryption key (So that you can't transfer to multiple Wii Us, just this one)

Step 2: The card goes in the Wii. All files are copied to the card and a secondary record of each piece of downloaded software is made on Nintendo's servers. Wii memory is purged.

Step 3: The card goes in the Wii U. All files are dumped on the Wii U and the server accounts sync up.

I believe Wii mode creates a new encryption key so your SD card won't work. You'll have to redownload.
So if I take the card out of the Wii, and put it in the Wii U (something I've never done before), it'll get reformatted?! They'll just arbitrarily delete everything I've downloaded? Just so that I can download them all over again from my Wii U's Wii Mode's Shoppping Channel? Seriously? Fuck. That.

Somnid

So if I take the card out of the Wii, and put it in the Wii U (something I've never done before), it'll get reformatted?! They'll just arbitrarily delete everything I've downloaded? Just so that I can download them all over again from my Wii U's Wii Mode's Shoppping Channel? Seriously? Fuck. That.

If you start the migration process then yes it will. It doesn't matter though because I'm fairly sure the SD card content won't be read anyway due to the key change so you'll have to redownload no matter what. I won't have time to verify for a few days but I think that's what you're looking at IIRC.

Robin64

So the games in Japan launched as soon as it became Saturday? That's a good sign, it's probably automated for once.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Did I read that right, that europe only has 7 games?

The list is missing Kirby's Adventure (which is currently a 30ct. title) and Balloon Fight (which was a 30ct. title). So it's at least 8 titles + maybe Balloon Fight, whatever happened to that (maybe they want to replace it with the 60Hz version later on).

GulAtiCa

Yeah, looking at list, Kirby Adventure and Balloon Fight are not on it.
Though.. I guess Kirby Adventure is on it though? But at $0.30. anyways, I updated the Europe info in OP, I'll add the Japanese list in a second.

Tokieda

Started playing Kirby today to ease the wait. Never played it before, but Kirby's Dreamland was my first game ever, I was 4 years old. It's incredibly good.

Robin64

Yeah, Kirby is just a promotion that happens to still be running alongside the launch games. Once the promotion is over, it will vanish unless officially launched.

Top Bottom