• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Virtual Console - News and Releases

RkOwnage

Anyone else seeing some serious lag on Super Mario World on the GamePad? It stutters, a lot.I guess it's expected with it playing off the console, but meh. Kinda disappointing.

Can someone confirm if games have to be installed in Wii Mode to get the discount for the Wii U version?

Like, I've done a system transfer, but I don't actually have many of the games installed on the machine itself. So will the Wii U eShop still recognize them, or do I have to install them in Wii Mode first?

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Can someone confirm if games have to be installed in Wii Mode to get the discount for the Wii U version?

Like, I've done a system transfer, but I don't actually have many of the games installed on the machine itself. So will the Wii U eShop still recognize them, or do I have to install them in Wii Mode first?

Looking for an answer on this as well.

It is full price. I have to transfer to get the discount.

Do we have to transfer and download onto wii mode? or just transfer?

Futureman

was Mega Man 1 in the sizzle reel?

I only own 2 Wii VC games... Mega Man 1 and Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom. I wonder when I can upgrade Tomato.

brinstar

Oh cool, didn't realize you could use the Wiimote and Classic Controller on the VC games. I can even set up the gamepad as a mini TV of sorts with the charging stand

What's the empty space in the Virtual Console Menu for? Restoration points? I wouldn't know, because I haven't used one yet. It feels like cheating.

We are only getting NES, SNES and N64 this time around it seems. No arcade, TurboGrafx, C64, Genesis and whatever else Wii had on the VC. That's a bunch of games we might never see.
I hope you're wrong. It's hard to believe Nintendo has actually taken a step backwards.

Then you bought a lot of shitty ones. I don't think it will take that long. This time around they have GBA library coming too not to mention the no-brainer that is GC VC.

We are only getting NES, SNES and N64 this time around it seems. No arcade, TurboGrafx, C64, Genesis and whatever else Wii had on the VC. That's a bunch of games we might never see.

They are adding GBA, and if they add GC as well, then I don't expect them to get their whole NES, SNES, N64 library from Wii in a very long time. This is Nintendo after all. They are ridiculously slow when it comes to the 3DS VC, just like they were with the Wii VC. I don't see why anyone would expect them to be faster with the Wii U VC.

Super Mario World is one of the greatest video games of all time. It's worth $8 and Nintendo is justified in charging that much.
I don't really think so. They've already released this game more than once. It's old. Like I said, iOS pricing changes this perception. There are plenty of new games that are sold on the App Store for $2 or $5. Super Mario World is the same game we've been playing for years.

But that's just my opinion.

Futureman

IMO it IS one of the best games ever. Every year more and more SMW carts break/thrown out and more and more kids grow up having never played it, so $8 seems fair to me. I don't really care about $1 iOS games, there are other companies that release more expensive iOS SNES ports.

I hope Nintendo expands their online infrastructure w/ unified accounts. This would justify the price even more if they could make this a seamless experience across devices.

Codeblue

I don't really think so. They've already released this game more than once. It's old. Like I said, iOS pricing changes this perception. There are plenty of new games that are sold on the App Store for $2 or $5. Super Mario World is the same game we've been playing for years.

But that's just my opinion.

Chrono Trigger on iOS is $10. You can't compare something like Super Mario World to Tiny Wings.

Coolwhip

Banned
I think I might actually build up a good collection of VC games (if they are 60hz and if N64 and Gamecube games get added soon), but if my Wii U breaks do I lose all of them then?

Sendou

I think I might actually build up a good collection of VC games (if they are 60hz and if N64 and Gamecube games get added soon), but if my Wii U breaks do I lose all of them then?

They are 60hz (at least the initial selection sans Kirby, Balloon Fight) and you can get them back. Not very intuitive though.

Hmm quick question, I have SMW on my Wii though I currently gave it to my brother, what happens if I buy SMW on the vWii with my Club Nintendo Stars? Will I get the discount in Wii U mode too?

CDX

Currently if your system breaks you'd send it to Nintendo to get it repaired/replaced. You'd then still have all your games.

Damian.

Banned
Nintendo can't comprehend the fact that they would make a much healthier profit off of the VC if they released their games at a faster pace and priced them accordingly at $0.99-$4.99

Nintendo does a lot of great things, but they are managed by fucking monkeys.

Sendou

Nintendo can't comprehend the fact that they would make a much healthier profit off of the VC if they released their games at a faster pace and priced them accordingly at $0.99-$4.99

Nintendo does a lot of great things, but they are managed by fucking monkeys.

So what does healthier profit mean?

Dragmire

was Mega Man 1 in the sizzle reel?

I only own 2 Wii VC games... Mega Man 1 and Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom. I wonder when I can upgrade Tomato.
December 1, 20never

At this rate, will we ever see most of our Wii VC games on Wii U? The Wii U may not even be as successful as Wii (to put it gently), so why would publishers want to port their games? And when will it finally happen?

Zomba13

Why can't they just port over all the Wii VC titles?
Is it legal reasons and they have to renegotiate contracts and things like that?
I mean, it can't be that hard to add the Wii U wrapper to the games, especially as they've got it working on NES and SNES games (Balloon Fight and F Zero). Can't they just put the NES and SNES games in the same wrapper and send them out? If it works with one shouldn't it work with the others that have already been released on the Wii VC?

Also why are they charging so much? 30p is fantastic for these games and I'd say £1-£2 for NES and up to £4 for SNES would be perfect. In the range of impulse buy and lining up to the prices similar experiences cost on tablets and smart phone app stores.

Then again I'm not in charge of Nintendo and no nothing about porting the Wii VC library to Wii U.

Why can't they just port over all the Wii VC titles?
Is it legal reasons and they have to renegotiate contracts and things like that?
I mean, it can't be that hard to add the Wii U wrapper to the games, especially as they've got it working on NES and SNES games (Balloon Fight and F Zero). Can't they just put the NES and SNES games in the same wrapper and send them out? If it works with one shouldn't it work with the others that have already been released on the Wii VC?

Also why are they charging so much? 30p is fantastic for these games and I'd say £1-£2 for NES and up to £4 for SNES would be perfect. In the range of impulse buy and lining up to the prices similar experiences cost on tablets and smart phone app stores.

Then again I'm not in charge of Nintendo and no nothing about porting the Wii VC library to Wii U.

Besides putting the "wiiu wrapper" on they have to make a miiverse page for every single VC game released. Last I checked Wii had over 400 titles not including games taken down by the publishers. That takes a lot of resources and time. This isn't even taking in to account copyright issues.

bumpkin

Has anyone done the "upgrade" for any of their prior Wii VC purchases, i.e. SMW? How does it work? Does it automatically just change the price in the eShop?

Mileena

Banned
Besides putting the "wiiu wrapper" on they have to make a miiverse page for every single VC game released. Last I checked Wii had over 400 titles not including games taken down by the publishers. That takes a lot of resources and time. This isn't even taking in to account copyright issues.
That doesn't excuse the fact that all we got was 4 "new" games. Nintendo should hire a VC team if it really takes that much effort to dump roms.

Has anyone done the "upgrade" for any of their prior Wii VC purchases, i.e. SMW? How does it work? Does it automatically just change the price in the eShop?
I upgraded SMW. After you have transferred your license over it automatically changes the price to $1.50 for SNES and $1 for NES titles.

CDX

yep if your games are already transferred to the Wii U, the discounted price shows up automatically.

I want to know this as well. AND if you have to download the games first in Wii-mode. I mean, the VC games are on a memory card that I put in the Wii U after I used it on the Wii, the games are on there and they transferred to Wii U, but they're on the memory card, not the system itself. I want to know!

Also, its time for folders. I already have like 6 eShop games, one retail game, and there will be lots of VC games on my Wii U soon. I hate this mess on my dashboard. Give me folders Nintendo! It will probably have to wait until the summer update :(

Damn. Didn't think the prices would be this steep. Never bought anything on Wii so these prices are new to me. If anything, they should be half the price of what they are.

Wish I didn't miss Balloon Fight and F-Zero for 30 cents. :-(

Top Bottom