• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Virtual Console - News and Releases

That's weird. I just have the Wiii VC SMW on my SD card in my WiiU and it automatically converted the price. You might have to contact Nintendo about that.

Ahhh thats what I wanted to know. Alright. Ill be sure to be really careful when I start downloading tomorrow (I'm in Europe).

GulAtiCa

922908_483982628336282_1441333140_n.jpg
I find it a little funny that Wii U FB page used Super Mario Bros as the game in the background to let everyone know Wii U VC is up, when that game isn't even among the list. :lol

We are only getting NES, SNES and N64 this time around it seems. No arcade, TurboGrafx, C64, Genesis and whatever else Wii had on the VC. That's a bunch of games we might never see.

They are adding GBA, and if they add GC as well, then I don't expect them to get their whole NES, SNES, N64 library from Wii in a very long time. This is Nintendo after all. They are ridiculously slow when it comes to the 3DS VC, just like they were with the Wii VC. I don't see why anyone would expect them to be faster with the Wii U VC.
They at least got through most of the major first party games on Wii VC within the first year or so.

I don't have much faith that we'll be seeing any more than one game a week or so.

That's weird. I just have the Wiii VC SMW on my SD card in my WiiU and it automatically converted the price. You might have to contact Nintendo about that.

It's actually on my SD card too. I just kept clicking through screens waiting for the discounted price to show up, but it downloaded at full price. Got damn.

zroid

Banned
It is a bit unnerving to see my perception of "value" change firsthand. $8 for SNES games seems high now, but back in 2006-2008, the years when I would regularly purchase VC games, I didn't even bat an eye.

$5 for (early) NES games was always shitty, though. :p For the later stuff like Kirby's Adventure, it's not too bad.

I find it a little funny that Wii U FB page used Super Mario Bros as the game in the background to let everyone know Wii U VC is up, when that game isn't even among the list. :lol

What's weird is that I probably own this game on like 5 systems, and I'd still buy it on Wii U. Damn myself.

Who am I kidding, I have the game on Wii so the transfer won't be that expensive.

Chris R

And Nintendo wonders why it is struggling to stay relevant :| Fire some people, bring in fresh blood and try to turn this sinking ship around.

It's amusing how they do so many little stupid things that aren't really a big deal but still incredibly baffling nonetheless.

Facebook people: cool, the original Mario is on the Wii U VC!

But I guess it's better than

bumpkin

Apparently you have to download the games in Wii Mode to get the discount, you can't just have then on the SD card. I just found that out the hard way.
But they'll show up in my Wii U Menu afterwards?

If so, that's an awfully obtuse process. Lots of ppl who are eligible for the upgrade price are going to get burned.

But they'll show up in my Wii U Menu afterwards?

If so, that's an awfully obtuse process. Lots of ppl who are eligible for the upgrade price are going to get burned.

Disregard, I'll edit that post. Apparently the problem is just with me. Other people haven't had the same issue.

CDX

It is a bit unnerving to see my perception of "value" change firsthand. $8 for SNES games seems high now, but back in 2006-2008, the years when I would regularly purchase VC games, I didn't even bat an eye.

$5 for (early) NES games was always shitty, though. :p For the later stuff like Kirby's Adventure, it's not too bad.

Well honestly it is a full console generation later, so the games are even older now.

Nintendo should've at least shifted prices down 1 level for the Wii U

$8 N64 games
$5 SNES games
create a new tier for NES games... I dunno maybe $3

zroid

Banned
I don't really think it's the fact they're older, to be honest. It's just the way the gaming landscape has changed over the last few years, both in terms of the consoles' digital marketplaces, as well as competition from Steam and mobile devices.

I agree with your pricing model, in any case. $5 for a SNES game seems quite fair to me.

DoubleTap

I'm really curious as to what went wrong. I'm going to have to make some calls.

I'm just going to make an assumption when I say this - when you do the system transfer NOTHING on the SD is included in the transfer. You can't just move the SD card you had in your Wii to the WiiU. Anything you had on the SD card will have to be redownloaded in Wii mode E-shop.

bumpkin

I'm just going to make an assumption when I say this - when you do the system transfer NOTHING on the SD is included in the transfer. You can't just move the SD card you had in your Wii to the WiiU. Anything you had on the SD card will have to be redownloaded in Wii mode E-shop.
Hmm, if this is the case, maybe I'll need to re-download SMW in Wii mode first then. I literally had *no* VC games on my Wii's internal storage when I did the transfer; I always booted them from the SD card. I guess I'll know when I look up SMW on the Wii U eShop and it's not showing up discounted.

DoubleTap

Hmm, if this is the case, maybe I'll need to re-download SMW in Wii mode first then. I literally had *no* VC games on my Wii's internal storage when I did the transfer; I always booted them from the SD card. I guess I'll know when I look up SMW on the Wii U eShop and it's not showing up discounted.

Exactly.

Dave Long

Banned
Yup. This is likely what happened to the poster above. Anything on the SD Card does NOT transfer. You must redownload on the Wii U for those items.

Jofamo

Has anyone considered that each individual VC title has to go through ESRB certification all over again before it can be put back up on the store?

I honestly don't know, just asking in case that might be why there's a slow trickle again.

Has anyone considered that each individual VC title has to go through ESRB certification all over again before it can be put back up on the store?

I honestly don't know, just asking in case that might be why there's a slow trickle again.

That wouldn't affect Japan or Europe.

You do know how much money Nintendo has in the bank, right?

Ah yes. They have money. That means they'll never run out.

Japan's launch lineup:
Ice Climbers
Spelunker
Excitebike
Xevious
Downtown Nekketsu March: Let's Go to the Great Athletic Meet
Balloon Fight
F-Zero
Super Mario World
Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts
Mother 2
Kirby's Adventure
Mario's Super Picross
Fire Emblem: Seisen no Keifu
Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem.

Europe:
Donkey Kong. Jr
Excitebike
Ice Climbers
Punch Out
F-Zero
Super Mario World
Mario's Super Picross

Chris R

You do know how much money Nintendo has in the bank, right?

A ton, but will it last if things continue to trend downward? They were in a position to dominate coming into this generation, but I feel they haven't capitalized like they should have. I just want them to stick around and do well, but nothing I've seen coming out of the WiiU front recently (outside of the announcement of Earthbound...) has me frothing at the mouth to buy the system. It sucks even more when you see them fail at something so simple, like the VC service.

vdoggie

Banned
does anyone really care if these were "good enough" emulated games which could also come at a reduced price? why the addition of a million extra "features"... to charge a premium and not offer what people want.. a real selection.. this is terrible execution by Nintendo.. and how many copies do they expect to sell? prices will be out of line also... wasted resources etc...

This isn't your problem. I have none of the four games released downloaded to my WiiU or SD Card but it still shows the discount. So I really don't know why it charged you...are you sure you transfered?

Its really your own fault. It said $8 you shouldn't have purchased it. :p

Also poor Donkey Kong Jr. It is a great game people need to buy/upgrade it. Even if you got the 3DS version you still get Miiverse leaderboards...kinda.

I only got $4 left after SMW so for now, not upgrading anything incase anything else comes out. I won't have more money for awhile.

I have played SMW lots of times but never 100%ed it so I have some levels that I have never even seen. I am going to 100% once and for all! Already at the Donut Plains.

eternalb

does anyone really care if these were "good enough" emulated games which could also come at a reduced price? why the addition of a million extra "features"... to charge a premium and not offer what people want.. a real selection.. this is terrible execution by Nintendo.. and how many copies do they expect to sell? prices will be out of line also... wasted resources etc...

If you're talking the emulation itself, I want as close to the original as possible, which Nintendo excels at (minus a few super minor quirks, like some sound issues in MK64.) That is what I expect.

zroid

Banned
It's going to be fun going back to SMW after having just finished (and loved) NSMBU a few months ago. How will my nostalgia hold up?

Man, $5 for a single NES game is kinda pushing it in 2013, but really crazy in the case of B-tier classics, like Ice Climber. If they included a corresponding VS. arcade version (the one I played the most), I'd be a lot happier to pay. Even the recent X360/PS3 Capcom Arcade Cabinet CPS1 80s arcade games come with more cool stuff and are singly priced a bit more reasonably. If Ninty got smart and created a subscription service for access to, at least, first party arcade/NES/SNES/N64 titles, I'd be all over it.

This isn't your problem. I have none of the four games released downloaded to my WiiU or SD Card but it still shows the discount. So I really don't know why it charged you...are you sure you transfered?

Its really your own fault. It said $8 you shouldn't have purchased it. :p

Also poor Donkey Kong Jr. It is a great game people need to buy/upgrade it. Even if you got the 3DS version you still get Miiverse leaderboards...kinda.

I only got $4 left after SMW so for now, not upgrading anything incase anything else comes out. I won't have more money for awhile.

I have played SMW lots of times but never 100%ed it so I have some levels that I have never even seen. I am going to 100% once and for all! Already at the Donut Plains.

I definitely transferred, and I know it's my fault. I'm not angry, just frustrated.

I called Nintendo, and apparently there's an issue with my digital license on their end. As it turned out, they done goofed.

Chopper

So have we definitively established whether or not we need the VC games downloaded onto our Wii Mode in order to take advantage of the discount, or if having it in our download history on the Wii shop is enough?

Eusis

Going through ESRB for cheap DD titles is free and automated now I believe. They may need to do it anyway, even just to get Wii U slapped onto the title, but I don't think it's going to be a major hinderance.

Top Bottom