• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Virtual Console - News and Releases

This is alarming. Is Wii U VC ever going to be even as good as Wii's? Are we gonna get Megadrive, NeoGeo, TurboGrafx, etc? Or is strictly down to Nintendo consoles?

jwhit28

What's even better is booting up in Wii mode and having a huge offering of VC games. Off TV play is a novel feature but not one worth delaying getting a game for.

Considering that there's fuck all Wii U games right now, you'd think Nintendo would go wild with the Virtual Console, and release a ton of games.

Instead, we get an even worse showing than the Wii's Virtual Console did at launch. Pathetic.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Can't wait for Nintendo apologists to defend this one.

Tadale

It's like a joke that everyone at Nintendo is in on. You'd think that they'd put something neat up there as a gesture of goodwill.

It's ok with the amount of people who own the Wii U it's probably for the best they don't flood the market with virtual console titles nobody is going to buy anyway

^ that's my best defense of this

The only way this launch is okay is if Nintendo continues to release eight titles every week.

That won't happen, though.

there will be new games added each week, right?
like on the Wii VC service(well, at least in it's prime time).

this list is pretty shitty (except SMW, which I'll get) tbh.
smh

Nicholas Medley Wow... That's just sad. You launch the VC nearly six months after the console launches and there are only 8 games, one of with is Ice Climbers? Really? It's like you're trying to screw up.
3 minutes ago · Like · 5

Agreed entirely. I'm now convinced that Nintendo is just sabotaging their own console. E3 can't come soon enough.

Rootbeer

Banned
Just the games I've been waiting for.

Well maybe in the case of Super Mario World. Everything else can take a hike.

What's your deal Nintendo, argggh :(

Least we have Earthbound coming...

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
It's got to be a joke. They're just *confirming* those titles right? There's no way that's the lot.

Can't wait to see the real line up when the shop opens later this week.

Jarnet87

Dat Nintendo. Instead of giving us everything, they gonna do the slow drip again

fridge-open-disappointed-walk-away-nothing-1353706092r.gif

The official Gif of Wii U Virtual Console

EloquentM

aka Mannny
THIS is why Iwata needs to GTFO! My god this falls on his shoulders.
Idk I don't think something like this is really gonna have much of an effect on him. People will still buy games from this paltry selection regardless and it'll make them money regardless. He also doesn't have his hand in everything there's a chain of command of course but it's not iwata directly involved in what games come out for the virtual console. It's up to someone below him.

MormaPope

Banned
From now to Earthbound, they will probably release Super Metroid and Mario Kart for the SNES. If Nintendo actually got the Virtual Console up and running with full steam, I'd be very tempted to purchase a Wii-U.

UberTag

This is just loony, no other way to put it. They are incomprehensibly late to launch a service they were already running for years on Wii (and launched with it), and then it's like we're back in 2006. Maybe, just maybe, next week we'll get Mario Bros. and Donkey Kong 3. Woo-hoo!
I'm holding out for the Donkey Kong Jr. Math release week.
Everyone will be amped to buy that game when it's the only game coming out.

epmode

Plugging those roms into the new emulator is hard work, guys. Give them a little credit!

None of you should buy these until Nintendo has a non-shit account system, by the way.

Levyne

Banned
What's even better is booting up in Wii mode and having a huge offering of VC games. Off TV play is a novel feature but not one worth delaying getting a game for.

That's what I was curious about, I don't own a Wii or Wii U, but couldn't you go into "Wii Mode" and play whatever Wii VC game you want?

I get that they want to make new emulators for the Wii U,
and testing the games and adjusting the settings might take
some time.

But seriously, hire more people if you can't do better than this.

Hiltz

How many titles were released on the Wii VC? Weren't Genesis games on there at launch?

There's around 409 titles on the North American VC (it may or may not include any potential titles Nintendo may have mysteriously removed from the service). Sega Genesis was available at Wii's launch. It initially offered Sonic the Hedgehog and Altered Beast. Other titles such as Ecco The Dolphin, Golden Axe, Columns, Ristar, Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, Gunstar Heroes, Space Harrier 2, and Toejam & Earl came out in 2006 as well.

Amir0x

Banned
The only way this launch is okay is if Nintendo continues to release eight titles every week.

That won't happen, though.

Well hopefully... I dunno. Honestly I don't know why I bother hoping Nintendo does anything good anymore. They've long since past the point I could reasonably hold any faith to expect such a thing

Top Bottom