• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Wii VC) Will resetting a game lose the save state?

With the Wii VC, if I select "reset" from the menu, will that reset all the data in the game or will that behave as if I pressed the reset button on the console? The reason I ask is that I have a save game in Mario 64 and I want to know if it's safe to reset without losing my save game.

Thanks!

I don't know but if you have a SD-Card you could test it by copying the save to the card before.

But I think it is just "reset"...

gwiz210

It will just take you back to the main menu, for example in Super Mario Bros I had unlocked the hard mode and when i pressed reset I still had it along with my high scores.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
The only way you will lose your Mario64 save is if you go to the Wii management screens and delete the save file itself from the memory card menu

Ranger X

Beware, on the games that aren't saving anything on the Wii memory, you will lose your high scores if you reset. (like Alien Crush per example).

As you should never need to reset, i suggest you always quit with "Wii menu".

terrene

Banned
You will lose your save state, yes, but that refers to the "auto-resume" memory dump that the Wii captures when you exit the VC.

Your game save [as created through normal game operations, like saving your city in Sim City, or hitting "Save and Quit" in Mario 64] are written to physical files that can only be deleted in the memory management utility.

Think of "state" as "what the software was doing at the second I left the program" and your save game as "the last time I hit "save" in the actual game." I alternate between using one or the other myself. ["State" is a lifesaver in Sim City, because you skip the whole "year of power outages / no police protection" bug that you would normally encounter from resuming a save.]

Deku

Banned
As I understand it, all VC titles save the system RAM as well which explains why they take up so many blocks on your save management screen. If you exit a VC game in the middle of playing through it, it is soft saved. Reseting the VC game clears the memory for that VC game and takes you to the main screen.

The only games you can perform a hard save on are games that offer a save feature, like Sim City. The password/no save games will only give you a soft save when you quit. Games with hard save will retain your save up to your last save point, reseting will clear the system ram of course.

Top Bottom