• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii will cost less than 25,000 yen / $250

Mrbob

AniHawk said:
The DC was current gen. It featured far more detailed characters and environments than the one before it. It had online play out of the box for free, and the discs could also hold far more than anything else on the market. And with each passing year, there was a better machine.

If the PS3 and 360 were $300 (and the games were $50), I'd have no problems.

The 360 is $300. ;) And the premium pack may be $300 by this xmas. And let us not put DC online on a pedestal. It was decent but not that great. A far cry from what is offered on xbox live. The two aren't even comparable. The 360 already has a ton of games for $39.99 now, so the 60 dollar argument doesn't hold much water anymore. If you don't want to pay 60 bucks for a game wait two months for the price to drop.

Wii will provide next-gen experiences insofar as have a new way to control games, and its on-line capabilities, which wasn't explored enough in the last generation.

The real next gen online revolution has already come from ms. Nintendo will be playing catchup for years and won't reach the same pedestal MS is on in this aspect. If you're gaming to play online, you buy a 360.

Bozon from IGN posts the same reason I do as to why the Rev can't launch at $249.99:

BozonIGN said:
Q4 2006:
The Wii may be less cash than either of the other systems, but let's take a closer look at what may in fact happen at Christmas this year. We've got a system debuting for $599.99, and one that is already out at the price of $299.99 and $399.99. Since Microsoft can rely on awesome software rather than dealing with a hardware launch, it has the upper hand right now. If fact, if Nintendo was in this position we'd be seeing a price drop to combat the new systems. Microsoft isn't stupid. I personally expect a drop of up to $100 ($50 is more likely, but Microsoft will be going for a TKO at Christmas) for each bundle starting mid-November. If I'm right (and I'll put money on this at this point), that would put the numbers in a far more interesting set-up should Nintendo launch at $249.99:

Worst-case Scenario:
Xbox 360 Standard Pack: Drops to $199.99 ($100 drop)
Xbox 260 Premium Pack: Drops to $299.99 ($100 drop)
Nintendo Wii: Launch at $249.99
Sony PS3 small HD: $499.99
Sony PS3 big HD: $599.99

All of a sudden, there's a huge issue. Nintendo launches at $249.99, but Microsoft drops their cheaper bundle at a price that's LOWER than the mainstream system Nintendo is pushing. All of a sudden, Wii isn't the mainstream system in terms of pricing. With the strategy it is pushing, Nintendo should NEVER sell a system at a higher price than either Microsoft or PS3. If it does, it is simply a technically weaker system with a different controller and no HD support.

Nintendo won't win this battle by simply being different. It has to be a combination of innovation, broad scale marketing and amazingly competitive price points.

$249.99 can't happen.

$60 even won't be enough to sustain the budgets of the games that really are high-end IMO.

I think $69.99 is inevitable.

Realistically ... what did you think was going to happen?

Games were going to get closer and closer to CGI level and developers would continue to give you better and better graphics and the price was going to stay exactly the same?

Movie tickets are 50% higher today than from 10-12 years ago, a lot of that has to do with rising movie budgets.

The game industry is not some magic industry run by Willy Wonka ... that's what "graphic whores" just aren't getting IMO.

Something is going to have to give, and it will give soon.

Especailly when some of these companies that invest a ton of money into one game find out that game ends up underperforming (and it will happen ... a lot this generation).

I really feel the majority of the games on the 360/PS3 are going to be about XBox 1 level with some souped up effects/high def thrown in, rather than the full blown, built-from-scratch type visuals a lot of people are thinking.

Amir0x

Banned
Mrbob said:
The real next gen online revolution has already come from ms. Nintendo will be playing catchup for years and won't reach the same pedestal MS is on in this aspect. If you're gaming to play online, you buy a 360.

But 360 isn't on 24 hours!

WiiConnect24 ftw.

Deku

Banned
Mrbob said:

Both will has distinct advantages. Nintendo's on-line plan for Wii seems far more well thought out than what they are doing with the DS.

The Wii's biggest advantage though is that unlike the 360 it comes with internal storage, albeit of the flash sort, and it will allow developers to target games that use this storage with the lowest common denominator in mind without worrying about cross sku compatability.

Connect24 as a concept and hardware feature afiak is something 360 doesn't have either. I'm sure it can be mimmicked, but Wii is designed for it and it will be ahead for sometime.

Amir0x

Banned
Deku said:
Both will has distinct advantages. Nintendo's on-line plan for Wii seems far more well thought out than what they are doing with the DS.

The Wii's biggest advantage though is that unlike the 360 it comes with internal storage, albeit of the flash sort, and it will allow developers to target games that use this storage with the lowest common denominator in mind without worrying about cross sku compatability.

Connect24 as a concept and hardware feature afiak is something 360 doesn't have either. I'm sure it can be mimmicked, but Wii is designed for it and it will be ahead for sometime.

They're gonna need a lot more than 512MB to do anything REALLY substantial, imo.

Anyway, I think it's no secret that Wii and PS3 Online are gonna have to really work fucking hard for it to even approach Xbox Live 360.

I won't deny that I think it's going to be very difficult for them.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
They might as well price the thing at $250 to start since they will move every unit they can ship.

The problem for Wii is not its relatively poor graphics capabilities or its potential pricetag. The issue is that Wii isn't even a suitable replacement for people who like Playstation and XBOX games. If it was, you would never hear Wii60 talk out of any executive anywhere.

The gaming mainstream is largely made up of people obsessed with titles like GTA, Halo, Need for Speed, Medal of Honor, EA Sports, etc. Those expecting Wii to have any sort of meaningful effect on the buying patterns of this demographic will be sorely disappointed.

Deku said:

Who gives a shit?

Nintendo obviously didn't sit around a table thinking about XBox Live (or XBox anything) when developing the Wii or it's 24/7 Connect service.

Wii might as well be a completely different product categorey.

Mrbob

Deku said:

Yeah can't wait to input all my friends codes! Which I hear you still must do.

With a broadband connection you can get small downloadable content files in about 5 minutes. These files are like 7-15 megs. And how exactly is 512MB of flash ram going to be an advantage? Developers already target the 20 gig hdd. They just need to make sure games work within the framework. If you are talking about the Virtual Console than that is another issue. Although I don't know if any VC game is above the 50 meg limit MS has implemented on arcade games.

I still don't see what is so great about WiiConnect24. You can visit your friends town in AC anytime! How exciting, I don't care. ;)

Also, developers probably more appreciate the 512MB of GDDR3 RAM with no permanent storage, compared to ~88MB of RAM with essentially 512MB of slower memory card type space

Jasoco

Banned
I'll happily pay $250.

I just want:

The final date - I am hoping for at least a month before the PS3. Gotta get as much head start as they can. I'd prefer 4 months head start. Wii next month FTW!

The final standard game price - I mean, $60 for an Xbox 360 game is way too high IMHO, but that's a next gen high end game. I'm expecting Wii games to be $50 max. Same as a Cube game. And I expect Cube games to drop to $30-40.

The final launch lineup - Zelda and Metroid.. what else? Anything else from Nintendo? Or just third parties? One can only pray for Smash Bros. But it's not gonna happen.

The available Virtual Console downloads at launch - What games am I gonna be able to download day one? Obviously I fully expect most of the Mario lineup. I'm hoping for Zelda games. I really want Paper Mario 1 as well. Oh, and can we expect Earthbound? I have a feeling they'll take it slow. Hopefully not too slow.

Pricing for said Virtual Console games - For the love of Pete, take a page from Apple. Cheaper is better. What is a reasonable price for a really old game?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
mashoutposse said:
The gaming mainstream is largely made up of people obsessed with titles like GTA, Halo, Need for Speed, Medal of Honor, EA Sports, etc. Those expecting Wii to have any sort of meaningful effect on the buying patterns of this demographic will be sorely disappointed.

I doubt it would be impossible. The N64 had Goldeneye, and that sold better than every game you mentioned, minus GTA.

Why are you guys STILL caught up on what Sony/MS do in comparision to Nintendo?

Hasn't Nintendo said like 1 MILLION TIMES that they're making a different type of console?

Hasn't Iwata/Perrin even told people "If you're hardcore, sure 360/PS3 may be better for you?"

Haven't even Moore and the Sony PR stooge even encouraged their fanbase to buy a Wii as secondary option?

Isn't it obvious that Nintendo tailored the design of their machine to entice non-gamers?

Did you happen to sleep through TGS and E3?

If you still don't understand that Nintendo is doing something different.

If you're still comparing what MS/Sony are doing to Nintendo

YOU JUST DON'T FUCKING GET IT

:lol

For crissake, even the PR stooges of all three companies are in agreement about this, and accept it.

Mrbob

soundwave05 said:
Why are you guys STILL caught up on what Sony/MS do in comparision to Nintendo?

Hasn't Nintendo said like 1 MILLION TIMES that they're making a different type of console?

Hasn't Iwata/Perrin even told people "If you're hardcore, sure 360/PS3 may be better for you?"

Haven't even Moore and the Sony PR stooge even encouraged their fanbase to buy a Wii as secondary option?

Isn't it obvious that Nintendo tailored the design of their machine to entice non-gamers?

Did you happen to sleep through TGS and E3?

If you still don't understand that Nintendo is doing something different.

If you're still comparing what MS/Sony are doing to Nintendo

YOU JUST DON'T FUCKING GET IT

:lol

For crissake, even the PR stooges of all three companies are in agreement about this, and accept it.

So you think Sony and MS don't want the same casual audience Nintendo is going after?

So for the the sake of argument, let us say Nintendo decides to sell their system for $249.99. MS decides to get super aggressive this xmas and slashes both xbox packages 100 dollars. So you have a core package at $199.99 and a premium package at $299.99. Which company do you think is being more aggressive at hitting the casual audience? I wouldn't say it is Nintendo.

Although I don't see a need for MS to drop the price this xmas. They should wait until spring 2007 to drop the price.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
Oblivion said:
I doubt it would be impossible. The N64 had Goldeneye, and that sold better than every game you mentioned, minus GTA.

The console was an extremely distant second.

I don't think the $100-400 price difference at launch is going to matter in the end. The more meaningful differences will be that of the interface and system capabilities.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
mashoutposse said:
They might as well price the thing at $250 to start since they will move every unit they can ship.

The thing is, you can use that argument to justify as high a launch price as you like. It doesn't mean it's a smart move to price it high and drop it 6 months later.

The problem for Wii is not its relatively poor graphics capabilities or its potential pricetag. The issue is that Wii isn't even a suitable replacement for people who like Playstation and XBOX games. If it was, you would never hear Wii60 talk out of any executive anywhere.

The gaming mainstream will gobble up the main Nintendo franchises as per usual. The Mario's, the Zelda's, and the Metroids will bring them in everytime, and I don't really see their numbers dwindling down any more from the Cube numbers. If they're truly the hardcore of hardcore, the steady stream of Virtual Console releases as well as the fact that Wii is marketed as a secondary console will be enough to satisfy them. For the "untapped" demographic, I really believe if Nintendo does their marketing right and go into unconventional retail locations aggressively with kiosks and games that require no learning curve (Wiisports, WiiOrchestra etc.) they can latch onto the much larger audience very quickly.

Mrbob said:
So you think Sony and MS don't want the same casual audience Nintendo is going after?

So for the the sake of argument, let us say Nintendo decides to sell their system for $249.99. MS decides to get super aggressive this xmas and slashes both xbox packages 100 dollars. So you have a core package at $199.99 and a premium package at $299.99. Which company do you think is being more aggressive at hitting the casual audience? I wouldn't say it is Nintendo.
I think both of your hypotheticals are rather far fetched.

I think the general sentiment in this thread is that if they actually did decide to go for the $250 price, they're automatically putting themselves into the "Sony/MS" group. They've mentioned this constantly, but to still sell the system at $250 after saying all that would be...odd. So if they're not targeting me and my HDTV and 5.1 sound, that's perfectly fine...but to then charge $250 for that would be a bit weird.

That said, I predict it to be under $200, heh.

(in response to soundwave05)

Mrbob

Compton's Most Wanted said:
I think both of your hypotheticals are rather far fetched.

Even if the 360 ends up 100 dollars more, it still isn't a huge issue. GC came in 100 dollars cheaper than the PS2 a year later and still got rocked. It'll be interesting to see how the casual marketplace adopts the Wii or 360, because Sony has given both Nintendo and MS big openings to increase marketshare.

I think if Nintendo prices their system at $250, they are putting themselves in position to be compared with 360/PS3.

Mrbob said:

Although I don't see a need for MS to drop the price this xmas. They should wait until spring 2007 to drop the price.

No, they're not going to sell they're system fo $250 (or $249.99) and yes they are going after a different audience.

I think you will see by 2007/2008 Wii will go down even below $99.99 ... like $49.99-$79.99 for the hardware .... almost a transparent, absolute impulse buy with a wide assortment of Nintendo WiFi games for $5-$15 a download, stuff like Tetris, Fishing, Poker, Brain Training, etc.

And yeah sure Sony/MS can do certain things and talk all they want about it ... but last time I checked, Nintendo's the one selling millions of copies of Brain Training.

If you can't see a difference in the philosophy of the big three companies ... I do think you're dense.

You like graphics, you like high end hardware. Alright, WE GET IT. Nintendo could've made that system too, they have ATi/IBM as partners, there's nothing magical about the XBox 360 chipset.

If they wanted to make a system like the 360 they could have. They're not. They're going a different direction.

Accept that and move the fuck on already. There's no law handed down from Moses that says every console maker has to do the same thing as the other hardware makers.

Mrbob said:
Even if the 360 ends up 100 dollars more, it still isn't a huge issue. GC came in 100 dollars cheaper than the PS2 a year later and still got rocked. It'll be interesting to see how the casual marketplace adopts the Wii or 360, because Sony has given both Nintendo and MS big openings to increase marketshare.

I think if Nintendo prices their system at $250, they are putting themselves in position to be compared with 360/PS3.
Agreed.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Mrbob said:
I still don't see what is so great about WiiConnect24. You can visit your friends town in AC anytime! How exciting, I don't care. ;)

Thraktor actually posted something interesting about that in another thread. It might not appear to have an immediate benefit to the consumer, but there is a lot of potential plus it's a very business-savvy move:

But I would like to tip my hat to Nintendo for Connect24, not for what it will bring to games necessarily, but for a very intelligent move by Nintendo. People seem to misinterpret the actual purpose of Connect24 as merely a way to visit someone's village in Animal Crossing without their console having to be powered-up, but the actual benefit to Nintendo is, in reality, content distribution. It's a unique opportunity for Nintendo to adopt a BitTorrent style of distribution for Virtual Console games and other downloads, while retaining the sort of download speeds expected from traditional download services. By having all consoles on and connected 24/7, the Wii hardware can automatically seed all Virtual Console games (and other downloads) on the flash memory on a BitTorrent-style service. This means that, for a popular download like Mario 64, there would be potentially hundreds of thousands of seeds to the "torrent" at any one time, resulting in very high download speeds without a penny spent on Nintendo's part for servers. Nintendo simply gives a console authorisation to play a VC game upon payment, and the torrent software handles the download.

Apple have commented quite a few times that iTunes downloads are actually a negligible source of profit (the profit comes for the iPods themselves), due in a large part to server fees. Nintendo has found a way to circumvent this problem, resulting in a greater profitability from the Virtual Console, which allows them to subsidise the costs of providing free online gaming (which itself will most likely be a matchmaking, peer-to-peer affair).

Amir0x

Banned
soundwave05 said:
No, they're not going to sell they're system fo $250 (or $249.99) and yes they are going after a different audience.

I think you will see by 2007/2008 Wii will go down even below $99.99 ... like $49.99-$79.99 for the hardware .... almost a transparent, absolute impulse buy with a wide assortment of Nintendo WiFi games for $5-$15 a download, stuff like Tetris, Fishing, Poker, Brain Training, etc.

Whoa, I mean they definitely have their eyes on a specific, perhaps even "unique" market, but I think it's seriously wetdream territory to think the Wii is ever gonna be $49.99, much less $79.99 by 2007/2008. It may be targeting a different audience, but even Nintendo DS - which also has unique features and supposedly targets a "different" audience - costs $130.

Amir0x said:
Whoa, I mean they definitely have their eyes on a specific, perhaps even "unique" market, but I think it's seriously wetdream territory to think the Wii is ever gonna be $49.99, much less $79.99 by 2007/2008. It may be targeting a different audience, but even Nintendo DS - which also has unique features and supposedly targets a "different" audience - costs $130.

I'm not surprised you can't see this, but then again I'm guessing you didn't see a one handed TV remote controller or basically anything else about the Wii.

The thing is people like you just don't get it.

The role of the Wii is to disrupt the market. Every rule you hardcore players hold dear and mighty (game controllers must be X, game hardware must be Y, game marketing must be Z) ... Nintendo's wiped their ass with it and then spit on it ... and they will continue to do so.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
Oblivion said:
Yeah..so? Still beat Xbox, even with Halo, Need for Speed, etc.

XBOX is nowhere in Japan, so that is not a surprise. Looking at this generation, even with the price advantage and Japan, Gamecube failed to outsell XBOX. That tells me that, at least in the West, the impact of factors like price are vastly overrated.

Mrbob

soundwave05 said:

And yeah sure Sony/MS can do certain things and talk all they want about it ... but last time I checked, Nintendo's the one selling millions of copies of Brain Training.

If you can't see a difference in the philosophy of the big three companies ... I do think you're dense.

You like graphics, you like high end hardware. Alright, WE GET IT. Nintendo could've made that system too, they have ATi/IBM as partners, there's nothing magical about the XBox 360 chipset.

If they wanted to make a system like the 360 they could have. They're not. They're going a different direction.

Accept that and move the fuck on already. There's no law handed down from Moses that says every console maker has to do the same thing as the other hardware makers.

It's great that Nintendo wants to try something 'different', but it doesn't automatically mean it'll be a better experience. Nintendo may have brain training on the portable side, but MS will have over 160 games, a competitive hardware pricepoint, and a 10 million head start (most of which is dedicated to the west). Nintendo can say what they want, but it doesn't mean we have to take it all at face value without some healthy skeptism. And a $99.99 pricepoint for the Rev in 2007? Come on now. :lol The DS has only dropped 20 bucks in 18 months.

Amir0x

Banned
soundwave05 said:
I'm not surprised you can't see this, but then again I'm guessing you didn't see a one handed TV remote controller or basically anything else about the Wii.

The thing is people like you just don't get it.

The role of the Wii is to disrupt the market. Every rule you hardcore players hold dear and mighty (game controllers must be X, game hardware must be Y, game marketing must be Z) ... Nintendo's wiped their ass with it and then spit on it ... and they will continue to do so.

Yeah man, I just don't get it. It's too FAR OUT for me, maaaan. Pass some of that hash to me. Nah man, don't fuckin' blow the smoke in my face!

When Wii isn't below $99.99 in 2007/2008, don't come to me for your weed anymore!

GhostSeed

mashoutposse said:
XBOX is nowhere in Japan, so that is not a surprise. Looking at this generation, even with the price advantage and Japan, Gamecube failed to outsell XBOX. That tells me that, at least in the West, the impact of factors like price are vastly overrated.

Well being purple didn't help it at all. And neither did Celda. I'm just saying...

Deku

Banned
soundwave05 said:
Wii might as well be a completely different product categorey.

It is. Some poster mentioned a while ago that true gamers wouldn't like Wii. I'm having trouble believing that and ironically other Wii-skeptics are using exactly the opposite to argue their case..

On one hand you have one group saying all the hardcore would hate Wii for being graphically weak etc. etc. and on the other hand, there is another group saying Wii's strong reception post E3 was a hard-core only phenomenon that wouldn't translate well into the public.

Neither can be right, since both are trying to disprove one another.

Oblivion

mashoutposse said:

N64 sold better than Xbox in EVERY market.

Amir0x said:
Yeah man, I just don't get it. It's too FAR OUT for me, maaaan. Pass some of that hash to me. Nah man, don't fuckin' blow the smoke in my face!

When Wii isn't below $99.99 in 2007/2008, don't come to me for your weed anymore!

Err ... except the GBA is $79.99 and selling quite fine and the PSOne was $49.99.

How much more fucking different does Nintendo have to make the console?

It's called Wii for godsake and you're still saying "dur, yeah but ... yeah but ... Microsoft ... and Sony!"

Good God man ... who gives a shit?

Clearly Nintendo does not ... they could not have made a system more different than the 360/PS3 if they tried, and this is not some random coincidence.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
seems gratuitous of nintendo to wipe their asses on everything we take for granted and then spit on it. maybe if they'd contented themselves with wiping their asses the wii would have an optical out.

Amir0x

Banned
soundwave05 said:
Err ... except the GBA is $79.99 and selling quite fine and the PSOne was $49.99.

How much more fucking different does Nintendo have to make the console?

It's called Wii for godsake and you're still saying "dur, yeah but ... yeah but ... Microsoft ... and Sony!"

Good God man ... who gives a shit?

Clearly Nintendo does not ... they could not have made a system more different than the 360/PS3 if they tried, and this is not some random coincidence.

yeah, sure. But GBA is a handheld, and PSX dropped to $49.99 how many years after the thing came out?

If you're hoping the Wii drops to below $99.99 by 2007/2008, you gonna get burned to shit man. I don't care how "DIFFERENT" Nintendo is, or what PR fact sheet you're reading off of hombre. Rail in them expectations before you turn yourself inside out and collapse from exhaustion.

Also I'm totally lollin' online at your consistent inappropriate application of the phrase "who gives a shit" in every other one of your posts lately! :lol

drohne said:
seems gratuitous of nintendo to wipe their asses on everything we take for granted and then spit on it. maybe if they'd contented themselves with wiping their asses the wii would have an optical out.

Hey guys!

I'm not sure if anyone noticed, but I think drohne doesn't like the Wii.

Are you guys getting this?

It's really important.

Really.

I'm serious.

Mrbob

Amir0x said:
yeah, sure. But GBA is a handheld, and PSX dropped to $49.99 how many years after the thing came out?

If you're hoping the Wii drops to below $99.99 by 2007/2008, you gonna get burned to shit man. I don't care how "DIFFERENT" Nintendo is, or what PR fact sheet you're reading off of hombre. Rail in them expectations before you turn yourself inside out and collapse from exhaustion.

Well I'm surprised he is sticking to 2007/2008 now. He was dead set for a long time that Rev would be $99.99 at launch. ;)

Amir0x said:

So you guys remind everyone on this board at every turn that the chipset is a GameCube chipset.

Yet apparently, it's now impossible according to you guys that will be $99.99 in 2007 ... when a GameCube in 2005 already was going for that same price with two controllers, a game, and a microphone.

So, uh, which one is it again? Would you like to have the cake or eat it?

Deku

Banned
Amir0x said:

Also I'm totally lollin' online at your consistent inappropriate application of the phrase "who gives a shit" in every other one of your posts lately! :lol

Wii won't be $99 in 2007, it will be $99 at some point and probably $49 at some point as well.

Why are you blowing an artery over this. It's really just the timing of when they drop it to that price. a $99 PS3 however is probably in never never land.

Amir0x

Banned
soundwave05 said:
Hey guys!

It's really important.

Really.

I'm serious.

Hey, I can just turn the second line to "I think soundwave05 likes the Wii" and it'd be a totally appropriate translation of all the nuanced points in this thread!

Deku said:
Wii won't be $99 in 2007, it will be $99 at some point and probably $49 at some point as well.

Why are you blowing an artery over this. It's really just the timing of when they drop it to that price. a $99 PS3 however is probably in never never land.

Sure, but EVERY system will be that at some point. Even, yes, PS3 will be under $99 in 2016 or whenever. Wii will be under that price point at the natural time considering it's price point, but Nintendo isn't magically gonna go from $249 to "under $99" by 2007/2008. That's fantastymagicland.

soundwave05 said:
So you guys remind everyone on this board at every turn that the chipset is a GameCube chipset.

Yet apparently, it's now impossible according to you guys that will be $99.99 in 2007 ... when a GameCube in 2005 already was going for that same price with two controllers, a game, and a microphone.

So, uh, which one is it again? Would you like to have the cake or eat it?

Wow, your points really fall to shit the more you speak! No, uh, the "cake" is that Nintendo likes to make money. A LOT of it. If people will buy it at $199 - and they will - it will be that price. And it will incrementally drop year over year until it gets to such price as "under $99", which won't be by 2007/2008.

Oblivion

Amir0x said:
If you're hoping the Wii drops to below $99.99 by 2007/2008, you gonna get burned to shit man.

GC dropped to $99 2 years after it was released.

Amir0x

Banned
Oblivion said:
GC dropped to $99 2 years after it was released.

Yeah, and it stayed that place for a while. We're talkin' sub-$99, the ridiculous $49.99 price point. And remember, Gamecube dropped the price 'cause nobody wanted one. Wii will not have this problem, I think! And supply/demand will make it much more lucrative.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
less than 250 (= 249.99) for a one handed controller that is crippled by halogen light and no decent surround sound? what's not to like here, guys?

Deku

Banned
Amir0x said:
Hey, I can just turn the second line to "I think soundwave05 likes the Wii" and it'd be a totally appropriate translation of all the nuanced points in this thread!

well drohne quite frankly is just becoming an annoying anti-Wii drone. Not that he was even remotely even close to liking anything that came out of Nintendo before.

Watching him bitch and whine about the PS3 price and ADMIT to buying it on day 1 and then use it as an excuse for not buying Wii is probably the funniest more bizzare statement I've read. And quite sad on the same level.

If the guy can only get his fun from buying a PS3 based on past expectations and a hope and a prayer that Sony can pull their heads out of their asses, then more power to him. I frankly see PS3 disappointing many people on many levels after they've spent $600 on it. For starters, the software simply won't be there for months and unlike the PS2, there won't be a healthy BR market for movies to bail the console out in those early dry months.

Sure, but EVERY system will be that at some point. Even, yes, PS3 will be under $99 in 2016 or whenever. Wii will be under that price point at the natural time considering it's price point, but Nintendo isn't magically gonna go from $249 to "under $99" by 2007/2008. That's fantastymagicland.

Oh i agree, Wii won't be $99 because it will have to hit $150 first and it will be successful so Nintnedo won't have to drop the price. What's your point?

mashoutposse

Ante Up
Oblivion said:
N64 sold better than Xbox in EVERY market.

Still, is that surprising at all considering N64 came right after SNES and the third competitor in the console war dropped out after 2 years or so? The point is that XBOX was paired head to head against an affordable Nintendo system and consumers chose XBOX overwhelmingly.

This has major implications for the future success of Wii. During the PS2/XBOX/GCN gen, gamers made a conscious decision to overlook price in favor of their favorite kinds of games. This can easily happen again despite the significant price difference because Nintendo's system this time isn't even a legitimate substitute for the other two.

Amir0x said:

Yeah, but I thought "OMG! It's just a GameCube chippset!!!!!!!! OMG! The graphics cause teh eyes to bleed"

But now it's also apparently impossible to sell for $99.99 or (gasp!) even less.

Why not?

I think there are plenty of non-gamers who would be willing to jump into gaming if there was a solid system availble that they could buy without feeling guilty about spending too much on.

It's the same 3-4 people in every freaking Wii thread making the same points over and over again.

Alright ... WE GET YOU ALREADY. YOU LIKE YOUR GRAPHICS. I seriously will PayPal you guys a free cookie from Subway. Can we actually have a Wii thread about something else now? Some of us actually would like to discuss the system on its own terms.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
soundwave05 said:
Hey guys!

It's really important.

Really.

I'm serious.

that was less of a "drohne doesn't like the wii" post and more of a "what the hell is soundwave talking about now" post. if you'd like an example of a "drohne doesn't like the wii" post, this thread furnishes several.

Amir0x

Banned
Deku said:
well drohne quite frankly is just becoming like an anti-Wii drone. Not that he was even remotely even close to liking anything that came out of Nintendo before.

Watching him bitch and whine about the PS3 price and ADMIT to buying it on day 1 and then use it as an excuse for not buying Wii is probably the funniest more bizzare statement I've read. And quite sad on the same level.

If the guy can only get his fun from buying a PS3 based on past expectations and a hope and a prayer that Sony can pull their heads out of their asses, then more power to him. I frankly see PS3 disappointing many people on many levels after they've spent $600 on it. For starters, the software simply won't be there for months and unlike the PS2, there won't be a healthy BR market for movies to bail the console out in those early dry months.

I'm buying Wii day one, but I can still complain about things. Heck, since I'm buying it day one it's practically my RIGHT to complain!

Deku said:
Oh i agree, Wii won't be $99 because it will have to hit $150 first and it will be successful so Nintnedo won't have to drop the price. What's your point?

Uh, that soundwave05 said it would happen by 2007/2008 'cause Wii is SOOOOOOOOO different, and that this won't be the case?

Yeah, that's the point. Keep up with the conversation man.

soundwave05 said:
But now it's also apparently impossible to sell for $99.99 or (gasp!) even less.

Not impossible, it WILL be under $99.99 at some point - just like every other system, and not because it's SO DIFFERENT WOW WHAT A PARADIGM SHIFT IN PHILOSOPHY.

It just won't be by 2007/2008.

Also, your schtick is getting old. If you don't enjoy the debate, then don't participate in it. It's that simple.

Top Bottom