• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WiiU "Latte" GPU Die Photo - GPU Feature Set And Power Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

krizzx

I was just pointing out that there were embedded designs in the correct wattage range prior to brazos and the HD 6xxx series. It could still be based on R700 and take on characteristics from AMD's embedded designs.

Being an Embedded chip was never remotely important.

Brazos itself was what was the focus. It being a low power consumption embedded design was just something extra I brought up after the fact. I'm guessing you only read the embedded comment from me and proposed that chip in hopes of keeping estimates from exceeding the R700 hundred series/lower end.

I was inquiring about the possibilities, which is why I also mentioned the dual engine that BG has brought up as a possibility. It was never to insinuate it as fact or the use of some trained eye technique.

I didn't think it looked that good when I first saw the trailer. Now that I look at is up close, it is very impressive. Sadly, a lot people are going to say it looks it "looks like crap" or "looks just like a Wii game" and not acknowledge any of the improvements. They will dismiss it do to the nature of the art style and design.

I cannot spot a single geometric edge in those characters round portions. Roundness is not something the average joe will praise, though. Roundness is the hardest thing to achieve in 3D models. This is definitely next gen. At least where the character modals are concerned.

There are only two possibilities I see here. It is either using tessellation or it has so many polygons in the modal that it looks round. Anti-aliasing and lighting aren't going to remove visible vertices. Either one indicates a huge bump in GPU capability over the previous gen.

You may want to check out the character models for Sonic Generations. Modern Sonic and Eggman are pushing over 17k and 32k polygon respectfully. I'm unsure if what we seeing in these pics are exceeding that. The difference is that this may be the first time we have Mario characters with "HD-quality" gameplay models.

As a comparison, Mario's model in the galaxy series is ~6900 polygons, which already looks good.

I was really impressed with Bowser Jr. Character model.

WUPP_MarioSonic_scrn03_Ev05.jpg

There is a better upfront picture but especially on his green skin had a lot of detail.

is bowser junior Nabbit? why is he wearing the nabbit kerchief

Schnozberry

Brazos itself was what was the focus. It being a low power consumption embedded design was just something extra I brought up after the fact. I'm guessing you only read the embedded comment from me and proposed that chip in hopes of keeping estimates from exceeding the R700 hundred series/lower end.

Ok, maybe I misunderstood your conversation with BG. I'm not claiming to be an authority to expert, so please don't take this as being combative. The IGP line that went into Brazos was based on a modified R700 design, from what I've been reading. The changes to the shader design were only the 69xx Cayman chips. I suppose it's not impossible that Wii U could have some of those characteristics, but I'm not sure that's what we're seeing here. I found this image that through GIS that compares the ALU's on Brazos to Latte, and they are similar. I think it might lend some credence to the idea that Wii U is a 320 160 shader part if it's counting correctly.

EDIT: Sorry, meant 160 shader part, not 320.

Dude...let's not get carried away. We have not heard a single word from devs or documentation to indicate that it's anything other than a customized R700.

And it's funny you brought up anything related to the e6760 (I know...you don't actually think it's based on it now). Bg and I inadvertently started that rumor!

Meelow

Banned
You may want to check out the character models for Sonic Generations. Modern Sonic and Eggman are pushing over 17k and 32k polygon respectfully. I'm unsure if what we seeing in these pics are exceeding that. The difference is that this may be the first time we have Mario characters with "HD-quality" gameplay models.

As a comparison, Mario's model in the galaxy series is ~6900 polygons, which already looks good.

Someone said in the other thread that it seems Sonic from Mario and Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Games that it seems Sonic has more polygons than the Sonic from Sonic Generations, which isn't shocking.

image_55551_thumb_wide930.jpg

krizzx

Dude...let's not get carried away. We have not heard a single word from devs or documentation to indicate that it's anything other than a customized R700.

And it's funny you brought up anything related to the e6760 (I know...you don't actually think it's based on it now). Bg and I inadvertently started that rumor!

I'm not saying that it can't have R700 components or to completely disregard the R700, but the visible similarities to Brazos and Cayman are hard to dismiss. From the start, I always thought that Latte used already existing components from multiple different chips to try to achieve a certainly balance between energy consumption and power.

Why would Nintendo or AMD go out of their way to build a chip that does things that a prexisting chip already does? This is the reason why I was leaning for it being the HD5550 back when the estimate were unanimously 320:16:8. Would that not be a waste of both time and money?

Following that logic, it would make more sense for them to use preexisting, proven components. I believe the chip is custom built, but that all components are the exact ones we see on standard chip of the same make. Unless AMD, of course, has a ton of components design with the exact same shape and size that do completely different things just lying around for some reason, then most of BG's comparison should be spot on.

I have no doubt that at least some of the components from Brazos were used in making Latte.

Someone said in the other thread that it seems Sonic from Mario and Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Games that it seems Sonic has more polygons than the Sonic from Sonic Generations, which isn't shocking.

Interesting. Let me do a comparison.

Yes, that is definitely a more detailed modal. Its not immediately visible do to the simple, mono colored design of Sonic himself, but when I compare the spines, they are more round on Sonic and Mario at the Olympics. The texture resolution is also higher.

Meelow

Banned

Yes, that is definitely a more detailed modal. Its not immediately visible do to the simple, mono colored design of Sonic himself, but when I compare the spines, they are more round on Sonic and Mario at the Olympics. The texture resolution is also higher.

Interesting to say, I wonder how big of a push Sega will do visually for Sonic Lost World.

A combination of finally getting to play more PS3/360 games and evaluating certain comments.

Wii U isn't the 1tflop console I hoped it to be (or even HD 6570) and I'm kinda angry at how Nintendo is handling the system right now.

Apart from that, nothing else changed. I still think it's more powerful than PS3/360. But the potential Nintendo had with the specs... completely wasted.

I won't deny that. Antonz and I kinda caused a stink in either the first or second WUST when talking about how Wii U wasn't shaping up like we thought/hoped early on. I was wanting to see something much closer to what Xbox 3 seems headed toward minus 8GB of memory. I didn't like the hardware decisions with Wii.

Iwata talked about their "Jimae-shugi" policy and how they didn't use it for setting up their online system. I think they need to do the same for the next console. I'm not saying they need to go out and build a 6 or 7 TFLOP beast in 2017/18. But they need to do just like Sony when they are ready to start planning their next console. Ask 3rd parties what they want. Nintendo needs to adapt to them not the other way around. And once they have an idea build a console as close as possible to those requests within the budget they've set. And then in turn have their devs learn how to use the hardware. And if that meant no BC for the next console then so be it.

Bg, I indicated last night that I largely disagree with your labeling of components. Allow me to elaborate in order to continue our friendly debate. Basically, I find a problem in the methodology you employ. To say that a block on one chip appears visually similar to a block on another chip is problematic, because the layout of SRAM changes drastically from design to design. For example, if we look at the shader blocks in R700, Llano, and Brazos, the SRAM arrangement is drastically different in each. Therefore, I find it very dangerous to draw a conclusion based on this alone. What I have tried to do is take basic appearance into account, but focus more on the amount of SRAM in each block and their placement on the chip.

Friendly is always enjoyable.

And I agree. We both have taken the same approach in identification.

For example, what you have labelled U on Llano, I actually believe to be analogous to F on Latte. Both have 32 small blocks of SRAM and lie adjacent to what we know to be the display interface. Thus, I would bet F to be display related, although it's hard to pinpoint exact function.

That's how I labeled the block in Llano as F as well. It has 32 similar (to itself) blocks of SRAM and in fact jumping ahead to the link you gave, it specifically labels (a portion of) that block as the UVD not the one I listed as U. That link would seem to confirm my view. And in fact may explain Block E in Latte.

The T blocks I am quite confident in at this point, not only because of their relationship to S (L1 texture cache), their close proximity to the DDR3 interface, and their striking resemblance to the TMUs on RV770, but because of the amount of SRAM contained within. If you look at The TMUs in Llano, you will see that there is a large disparity between the amount of SRAM they hold and the amount of SRAM in the J blocks - too much a disparity to be ignored, even taking the differing architectures into account.

This to me suggests that in the memory hierarchy MEM2 is getting higher priority over MEM0/1. This is where I also believe that Nintendo won't have the Wii's eMemory go idle in Wii U mode. I don't see Nintendo contributing that much die space to that memory just to go unused. I would believe that 1MB of SRAM replaces the need for L1 texture cache (and L2) in other conventional designs. For me I think it would be more logical for the J blocks to be the TMUs, giving us 16, and having to access that memory than for T to be the TMUs and separated from the SIMDs. The latter seems rather random compared to any GPU we've looked at.

I also see your point in being careful in giving die placement too much weight, since we see different arrangements. For example, ROPs may not always be right next to the memory interface. I do think it's worth keeping in mind, however, since RV770 utilized an approach which placed primary bandwidth consumers adjacent to the memory interface in place of a ring bus (something which does not seem to be present on Latte).

I label W as the ROPs, not only because they do resemble blocks around the outer edge of RV770, but also because there must be enough memory on them to to account for the color cache and Z cache. Llano seems to be a strange configuration and different from RV770. This link seems to say that there are 2 blocks, each containing L2, ROPs, Z cache and color cache.

http://www.realworldtech.com/fusion-llano/

I cannot find any two identical blocks to fit the bill, so the jury's out on that one. I wouldn't be surprised if they got that detail wrong and what you labeled W is a block of 8 ROPs with the block above it being the L2.

I agree to an extent with what you are saying at the beginning, but that still doesn't explain why the blocks you are considering as ROPs are nowhere near the DDR3 I/O in the other GPUs. In Llano it's completely on the opposite side. In Llano I had identified two sets of blocks near the mem I/O as potential duplicates. First there are two smaller ones (one has the memory going horizontally and the other vertically) under what I labeled as F, but they don't seem to have enough memory. If we are looking at the large, vertical die shot there are two blocks to the left of the bottom row of SIMD blocks that can work as well. If you notice the block closest to mem I/O has it's layout affected by that small red block at it's bottom, left corner. It seems that is causing the SRAM in that block to be bunched up more than the block the right.

Like I mentioned before Xenos shows us we don't have to find two blocks for 8 ROPs. And considering the memory hierarchy and BW needs this is why I see B as the most likely candidate for the ROPs due to it's positioning with the eDRAM portions. Again making sure the smaller eDRAM pool is utilized in Wii U mode and keeping them close to the larger pool if used as FB.

I'd hazard a guess that my view could be why some ports suffered from issues with transparencies. As an example Mem0 not being properly accessible (if at all) early on since in my view it would replace the L2 normally found in GPUs at that point in the pipeline, and devs using Mem1 either for other needs or it doesn't have the same BW as the ROPs access in Xenos.

Finally, it is tough to tell which components even get their own dedicated blocks. For example, you name Hierarchical Z and the tesselator as two blocks which might be candidates for the duplets, yet have a look at this presentation. It's of the HD2000 generation, but the front end in AMD's cards went largely unchanged between this series and HD4000.

https://graphics.stanford.edu/wikis...AttachFile&do=get&target=Eric_Demers_R6XX.pdf

This pdf states that tesselation is performed within the vertex engine. Meanwhile, HiZ is a function of the scan converter/rasterizer. Actually, looking at this, I might have to slightly amend my labeling as the command processor seems to contain quite a few command queus and whatnot which are working with the CPU. I might have this as B now. Also, I is the ideal location for thread dispatch as it needs to draw data from two different caches - the instruction cache and constant cache, which would fit the D block quite nicely. Down in P, I would guess might be a large stream out buffer. This has grown from 8k to 128k over the last few generations.

These changes in layout and the addition of extra memory (I also have the GDS more in line with recent chips) are the type of changes I would expect Nintendo to make to the R700 architecture, in contrast to a complete overhaul. This is why I do not understand when people say that Latte looks nothing like RV770. Many of the blocks look quite similar; they are just found in a different arrangement on the die.

The portion of the PDF you are referring to only seems to say that the Vertex block is capable of tessellation. Page 15 says there is a programmable tessellation unit. Also In regards to the SC/RAS and HiZ, it says:

- Also interfaces to depth to perform HiZ / Early Z checks

That would suggest a second block is necessary.

I do agree with what you are saying about using the RV770 die shot. For example I consider the block above the TMUs to be like Latte's Block I. Though the layout seems to resemble more of AMD's IGP line making that a "clearer" comparison.

In my interpretation I'm still not fully committed to D being video, with I and D being the GDS and Shader Export most likely respectively. And P being the IC/CC/LDS.

I think I covered everything, haha.

Historical tidbit: Spider-Man character model at LOD 0 in SM3 was around 90k polys I believe (we modeled all the webbing in geo rather than relying on texture filtering--long story). This was launch + 0.5 years title on the PS3/360 era.

bomblord

Banned

image_55551_thumb_wide930.jpg

That actually is really impressive to me, honestly with a better lighting system this could be on the level of a pixar film. I never would have thought that a Mario and Sonic Title would be the first game to truly impress me on the wiiU.

Side note is this being developed by Nintendo Sega or Both? Because if these Models are made by Nintendo then I have high hopes for the wiiU's first party future.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Just saw the Mario and Sonic trailer. Looks kinda crap, to be honest. Or at best, very, very bland.

edit: Okay, that Sonic picture above looks pretty nice, though.

It is hard for me to tell with those pics tbh. I thought Sonic Generation's model was already had a high polygon count for Sonic. Looks like the Olympics game may have better lighting effects, though, and that would make a difference.

Historical tidbit: Spider-Man character model at LOD 0 in SM3 was around 90k polys I believe (we modeled all the webbing in geo rather than relying on texture filtering--long story). This was launch + 0.5 years title on the PS3/360 era.

Wow nice. Thanks for sharing that info.

review_spiderman3_01.jpg

The model did look very good, and I'm assuming that LOD 0 was used when Spider-Man was basically covering the entire screen anyway :D

You may want to share some info to the beyond3D thread I linked to. That is still ongoing.

That actually is really impressive to me, honestly with a better lighting system this could be on the level of a pixar film. I never would have thought that a Mario and Sonic Title would be the first game to truly impress me on the wiiU.

Side note is this being developed by Nintendo Sega or Both? Because if these Models are made by Nintendo then I have high hopes for the wiiU's first party future.

Let's not start with the hyperbolies yet.

"Will PS4 bring avatar graphics?!?" Nah, Let's not go there.

Meelow

Banned

Sega Sports R&D developed the Wii games, but it's not confirmed yet if Nintendo or Sega Sports R&D is developing the Wii U game.

krizzx

Let's not start with the hyperbolies yet.

"Will PS4 bring avatar graphics?!?" Nah, Let's not go there.

Ah, I should have expected your arrival when someone said the Wii U was doing something exceptional.

Though, honestly, I've seen many games that I've mistaken for CG at first going all the way back to the GC era. Like P.N.03

Artstyle makes a huge difference.

Ah, I should have expected your arrival when someone said Wii U was doing something exceptional.

Though, honestly, I've seen games that I've seen many games that I've mistaken for CG going all the way back to the GC era. Like P.N.03

You should notice the numerous inconsistencies in the lighting--in that second shot it's almost impossible to figure out where the light is coming from given discontinuity from surface to surface and the lack of shadowing/occlusion.

lwilliams3 said:
Can you elaborate more on that point, BriareosGAF?

In the shot posted, look at the resolution of the shadow map as rendered/received on the world geometry. Look at the filtering employed on it. Now go do some research on shadow map approaches from the last five years; sample distribution shadow maps, poisson disc filtering, etc. Now try to figure out if any of that is used in the above.

I should add I'm not trying to disparage the work on display (real-time rasterization based shadowing hasn't really advanced that much in twenty years, actually, it's a hard problem), just addressing the slightly naive "it's looks like CG!" commentary you sometimes see in threads like this.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Seems pretty definitive. Doesn't matter what quote they put afterwards. There's no inclination that the subsequent quote relates directly to the previous sentence.

He might just be talking about more RAM or whatever though, who knows.

Edit: And I'm not saying this is a definitive statement about WiiUs power; it's not and we shouldn't read too much into it either way. But if you're going to dissect the article/quote then you can't ignore that part.

I understand where you are coming from, but you are pretty much saying that 'The improvements were already made for those games DLC'. But the fact that those improvements were only made for PC says quite a bit. It either wasn't worthwhile to try and upgrade the PS360 experience, or it was impossible.

It makes these things plain:

Wii U is capable of performing at 2 year old middle of the road PC levels.

Such games are downscalable to PS360, but going going further with textures, lighting, effects, etc. on a middleware engine for DLC wasn't feasible for them, but is easy on Wii U.

Not all that impressive, no. But again, it gives the Wii U a lot more credit than most people give it.

No, those changes are present in the DLC on all platforms: PC, PS3 and 360. It's the exact things in that quote: fog, lighting, skin shading... all were revamped by the team because they spent more time working on the engine since they knew they were going to do the DLC. The difference is that for the Wii-U version the team backported these lighting changes to the rest of the game, whereas they were only used in the DLC environments on other platforms. ...I'm not sure what's so hard to get about this.

The other confirmed visual advantages the Wii-U version holds over the PS3/360 version are shadow resolution and the post-process AA/sharpening, the latter being negligible in terms of performance and visual impact. What would be useful is a digital foundry style comparison between the Wii-U, 360 and PC versions using the DLC environments, to determine how much they notched the settings up; for example, shader fidelity and SSAO may be closer to the PC version than the console one and the framerate could be more solid.

bomblord

Banned
You should notice the numerous inconsistencies in the lighting--in that second shot it's almost impossible to figure out where the light is coming from given discontinuity from surface to surface and the lack of shadowing/occlusion.

In the shot posted, look at the resolution of the shadow map as rendered/received on the world geometry. Look at the filtering employed on it. Now go do some research on shadow map approaches from the last five years; sample distribution shadow maps, poisson disc filtering, etc. Now try to figure out if any of that is used in the above.

Knowing absolutely nothing about shadow mapping techniques and then following your instructions using google for research.

Is it a 1PCF soft shadow map? Am I right, do I win anything now?

The CG thing never made sense to me.

N64: Jurassic Park
PS2: Toy Story
PS3/360: ????
Wii U: Pixar
PS4: Avatar

Just for the record, Toy story was rendered at 900p. PS4 is the first console to make 1080p a standard.

Yet PS2 couldn't do HD and it's a Toy Story? What the hell?

Also, how could Wii U be Pixar and PS4 be Avatar? Avatar isn't 10x better than what Pixar makes.

The Wii U "Pixar" comparison is likely due to Nintendo's unrealistic/cartoonish characters looking more like their CGI models. Sega, for example, has taking this style with the latest Sonic games.

The visuals in Avatar is alot more realistic than the ones in Pixar's films, so that is probably why "Avatar-quality visuals" are used for the PS4/Durango.
I believe that 3DO guy was the one that started the whole "Toy-story graphics" quotes, and the Jurassic Park statements for N64 came from the SGI workstation technology that the system "very loosely" derived from.

z0m3le

Banned
The Wii U "Pixar" comparison is likely due to Nintendo's unrealistic/cartoonish characters looking more like their CGI models. Sega, for example, has taking this style with the latest Sonic games.

The visuals in Avatar is alot more realistic than the ones in Pixar's films, so that is probably why "Avatar-quality visuals" are used for the PS4/Durango.
I believe that 3DO guy was the one that started the whole "Toy-story graphics" quotes, and the Jurassic Park statements for N64 came from the SGI workstation technology that the system "very loosely" derived from.

Knack is very unrealistic and closer to CG cartoons than something like avatar. It's all just buzz words though, we know we aren't "there" yet and by the time we are "there", "there" will be somewhere else entirely.

z0m3le

Banned
yall blew up a pic of sonic and mario at the olympic games to find flaws? I dont understand that.

Shhh... Can't you see they are bored lol.

The game looks ok, but only ok. The models are only possibly impressive given a low budget. I don't see anything that is extremely high polygon count. Look at Mario's hat for instance, you can see those hard lines across the top edge can't you?

I think for what it is, it looks fine but there is nothing anyone should get excited about by looking at it from a technical perspective.

HTupolev

I just dont see whats the point. I think it will look more like the picture meelow posted when Im playing the game then what you see there blown up.
"The point" was less to do with how good or terrible the game looked, and more to do with testing the claim that the models had extremely high polygon counts.

z0m3le

Banned
I kind of feel for the poor fellow who called it 'almost CG quality'

Blind optimism. Emphasis on Blind.

Why feel bad for him, he is going to enjoy these games a lot more than someone who notices the flaws outright. I'd say we'd all be lucky to be so blind, then we could move on from chasing graphics and worry about creating better games.

Why feel bad for him, he is going to enjoy these games a lot more than someone who notices the flaws outright. I'd say we'd all be lucky to be so blind, then we could move on from chasing graphics and worry about creating better games.

This thread...

Edit:
You know whats funny?

I remember the Wii Tech discussion thread too, and it rode out very similarly. I'll just do what i have been doing, then....

Why is this ALWAYS the fallback for the Nintendo fans?

You still have people arguing pointless conspiracy theories on how the WU could secretly be in another league from what we've seen this gen. Just relax until one of the few devs who still care about the system releases more info (Or it's hacked and benched)

It wont unless you plan on playing sub-HD with zero stretching on a 720/1080p monitor.

So you're going to squint your eyes to play? Sounds fun.
So it will look more like the blown up image?
"The point" was less to do with how good or terrible the game looked, and more to do with testing the claim that the models had extremely high polygon counts.
Why would someone claim that? Does it look like that to them or are they stupid?

Ah, I should have expected your arrival when someone said the Wii U was doing something exceptional.
He's implying that if the lighting engine were better, it can pass off as CGI.

And that's bullshit and you know it. Even if we did a full ray traced engine on it, the poly counts and textures aren't NEARLY high enough.

Fuck the game has blocky as shit shadows (which I expect to get fixed by the time it goes gold).

Though, honestly, I've seen many games that I've mistaken for CG at first going all the way back to the GC era. Like P.N.03
Lmao. I'm sorry.

z0m3le

Banned

Well the important thing is that you've found a way to feel superior to me.

The reality is, budgets have been used by studios to make sure graphics are pushed with each new title, meanwhile there is an entire movement in the indie scene looking for fresh and new ideas. Game play should always get better as time moves on, but it's usually rehashed and pasted onto new graphics that sells to millions.

This isn't anything new but think back to Tony Hawk games, Madden or yearly shooters in general, sure those games improved slowly in graphics, but eventually the market for these games have and might dry up from a lack of innovation.

I'm more excited about fixing the graphical errors we saw this last generation, mostly pop-ins and texture glitches. Spending time and energy on developing new, longer and more in-depth gameplay is the goal I'd like the industry to take going forward. I am not at all convinced that games becoming movies is a good thing for anyone... Some expect less games to be made this next gen just because it will take bigger teams, more money and longer development time... No one should be excited about that.

Putting this post back on topic. I don't expect too much from 3rd parties or large graphical improvements for the Wii U, fixing common graphical glitches as well as giving us larger draw distances and some higher res textures while offering better lighting is what I've been seeing from games announced so far. Tessellation might offer more realistic looking skin and water effects. I'm down for those things, but I've yet to buy a Wii U personally although I plan to this fall with some titles I'm looking forward to. I just recently bought a HD 7950 and have it overclocked to 4TFLOPs, so I'm not really worried about graphical improvements from next gen beyond what I've mentioned. I'd like them to focus on new and exciting gameplay and IPs from all 3 console platform holders.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
He's implying that if the lighting engine were better, it can pass off as CGI.

And that's bullshit and you know it. Even if we did a full ray traced engine on it, the poly counts and textures aren't NEARLY high enough.

Fuck the game has blocky as shit shadows (which I expect to get fixed by the time it goes gold).

It wouldn't pass for film quality CGI and obviously the game won't have the same IQ as those screens but with character design like that (flat colours etc...) the poly counts and texture detail are getting close to the limit of perceptibility during gameplay. We're already at the stage where PC gamers are aware of the diminishing returns going from 2k textures to 4k to 8k, even when downsampling from obscene resolutions. Lighting and shading on the other hand have a long way to go, seeing as even PS4 titles are using the lower end of screen-space effects. Something like this, for example, looks worlds apart from the same game on consoles, even though the assets are largely the same (bar textures).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom