• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WiiU "Latte" GPU Die Photo - GPU Feature Set And Power Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

ugoo18

Go back to that recent Shinen interview. (The one where they said the Wii U gpu was a couple of generations past the 360 and Ps3.)

It would be interesting to know what those guys are working on for the Wii U.

Most likely F.A.S.T. 2

If it is F-Zero (Pray for it all of you) then they are probably being watched with the intensity of a hawk by NOJ. I see something similar to when Retro was working on Metroid Prime 1 with Miyamoto upending tea tables and whipping out the quality stick anytime something started looking strange (Such as the initial idea to scrap the morphball).

Most likely F.A.S.T. 2

If it is F-Zero (Pray for it all of you) then they are probably being watched with the intensity of a hawk by NOJ. I see something similar to when Retro was working on Metroid Prime 1 with Miyamoto upending tea tables and whipping out the quality stick anytime something started looking strange (Such as the initial idea to scrap the morphball).

Haha!! Imagine if the bolded part HAD happened. Perhaps "Why can't I crawl!?" wouldn't have been such an unreasonable question after all!! ;)

ahm998

Just imagine F-zero with graphics like Project cars...

I think smash really nice but need more lighting on character model.

Also I think in smash game the background stage only from wii with HD texture,

And we will see in next video new stage and we will say wow.

-----------------------------

Pikmin with last trailer really doing good job in texture and lighting, pokeh.

All graphics we get from wii until now really good and it's not bad at all.

-----------------------------

After i saw X graphics I think wii U will bring more really nice IP in the future .

Will wait and see.

Mr.ozfunghi there is any Wii U game in the market support direct x11?

plank

Is this possible on Wii U ?

xl_Tom_Clancy_The_division-1.jpg

stranger things have happened.

It looks better and runs what, 30-ish? I don't doubt that under the same circumstances that Bayonetta 2 could look as good. My point is that Wii U isn't doing much of anything significantly more impressive than current gen. That's fine, though.
And this is what i can't understand, what's the problem with some guys here refusing to recognise reality? Wii U games so far aren't doing "anything significantly more impressive than current gen" as you well put it.

Why is this so hard to accept?

Does Bayonetta 2 visuals look more technically impresive than GOW III? No. Could it look better if it ran at 30 fps? Probably yes, but Platinum opted to go for 60 fps feedback (like the first one) and i think it was a great decision for this kind of game.
At 30 fps 720p, sure.
And this is based on what?
Nothing as always with him...
XD Funny how it works both ways but you chose to ignore what you like to hear.

Hieberrr

I haven't been keeping up with this thread, but is there a close estimate as to how much faster the Wii U GPU is compared to the 360/PS3?

TedNindo

I haven't been keeping up with this thread, but is there a close estimate as to how much faster the Wii U GPU is compared to the 360/PS3?

I've been lurking this thread mostly. But from what I've read it's still not known because of how custom the hardware is. I've read loads of speculations in here but nothing concrete.

Never fails to see comparisons between games, comparing GOW to Bayonetta 2, instead of comparing Bayonetta to Bayonetta 2.

And if you insist on making these comparisons, try doing it with pics that prove your point also point out the technical merits.

The best guess at this time is an improved 360.

Just more RAM provides many advantages. This are more evident in X Huge draw distance, things happening in the distance
better lightning and effects
powerwise guesstimate is 1.5x 2x the 360

This is the first batch of games some started on the wii. The ssb dev direct states they started importing brawl on wii and continue to add on top of it

stills sometimes dont do justice, all games looking great in motion. I am very satisfied with the first batch and pikmin 3 looks like they improved it a lot.

At 30 fps 720p, sure.

:lol Not even close. The game is going to be 30 fps on PS4/X1 most likely, so you're saying simply by lowering the res to 720 from 1080 that the Wii U will be able to run it at the same fidelity. It would look almost a gen behind. Models, textures, lighting, particle effects, PHYSICS, animation, draw distance, everything. Holy crap at the propping up of this system's power based on a couple current gen looking or just slightly better than current gen looking games. You get a nice bone thrown your way and turn it into a 7-course meal. PS4 has 7x the ram, SEVEN times, and at a much faster speed. X1 has 5x times the ram. Both have octo-core CPUs and GPUs many times more powerful. Smh...

soulx

Banned
:lol Not even close. The game is going to be 30 fps on PS4/X1 most likely, so you're saying simply by lowering the res to 720 from 1080 that the Wii U will be able to run it at the same fidelity. It would look almost a gen behind. Models, textures, lighting, particle effects, PHYSICS, animation, draw distance, everything. Holy crap at the propping up of this system's power based on a couple current gen looking or just slightly better than current gen looking games. You get a nice bone thrown your way and turn it into a 7-course meal. PS4 has 7x the ram, SEVEN times, and at a much faster speed. X1 has 5x times the ram. Both have octo-core CPUs and GPUs many times more powerful. Smh...
What are you getting so worked up about? Calm down. I'm sure the Wii U could manage that at sub-HD @ 30FPS.

guess your tag explains that mystery

What are you getting so worked up about? Calm down. I'm sure the Wii U could manage that at sub-HD @ 30FPS.

guess your tag explains that mystery

Nobody is worked up, and no, I doubt it could. Lowering the res wouldn't make up for the huge deficiencies in and I'll just quote myself, "Models, textures, lighting, particle effects, PHYSICS, animation, draw distance, everything."

It could be funny if Xbone ends being closer to WiiU than PS4.
Well what we have seen so far at E3 disaprove this.
The best guess at this time is an improved 360.

Just more RAM provides many advantages. This are more evident in X Huge draw distance, things happening in the distance
better lightning and effects
powerwise guesstimate is 1.5x 2x the 360

This is the first batch of games some started on the wii. The ssb dev direct states they started importing brawl on wii and continue to add on top of it

stills sometimes dont do justice, all games looking great in motion. I am very satisfied with the first batch and pikmin 3 looks like they improved it a lot.
Yes, the extra memory is something not exactly related to power that plays an important advantage of Wii U's favor when compared to cuarrent gen. Just look at the difference a couple of megs did for some texture quality in those digital foundry comparisons of PS3 vs 360.

If the GC and the Wii had 3 rasterizers... does that mean that they could render 3 polys/clock? O_O
Aren't rasterizers what limit the max. polygon throughput since they are what transform vertex into pixels?

No. I'd assume the SU block is what handles the tri/clock in Flipper. And it wasn't till Cayman that ATi/AMD GPUs handled 2 tri/clock.

Is this possible on Wii U ?

Things other than resolution would definitely have to be cut back. Even if the idea I mentioned were true, Latte still could not handle the same amount of geometry as the GPUs in PS4 or Latte. And if it's not true, then that would just mean even more cutting back. Then there also the much lower amount of ALUs, and API differences. Watch Dogs will be the best indicator of what type of differences we'd see.

It could be funny if Xbone ends being closer to WiiU than PS4.

Even at Wii U's best that wouldn't happen. Xbone still has the same CPU, an available memory amount closer to PS4, and architecturally the same GPU as PS4.

Not sure why this got ignored, but what do they mean "Stripped down from DX11"? Are they saying the brought it down from the DX11 version, or took some code from the DX11 version?

The former.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Haha!! Imagine if the bolded part HAD happened. Perhaps "Why can't I crawl!?" wouldn't have been such an unreasonable question after all!! ;)

Okay, my brain is full of fuck over the idea Retro wanted to remove the Morphball. Because their use of the Morphball is one of the defining characteristics of the entire Prime series! It entirely came into its own in Prime.

Lower framerate and resolution. I'm pretty sure it's not even native 720p

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-god-of-war-ascension

native 720

Framerate fluctuating between 30FPS to 45FPS

And for fun a framerate test, despite one tiny dip towards 30FPS I didn't catch it going below 30FPS but it goes as high as 60FPS which is impressive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=622a0zBwZpk

I did catch it dip below 30FPS about a second or so around the 4M mark actually.

ozfunghi

And this is what i can't understand, what's the problem with some guys here refusing to recognise reality? Wii U games so far aren't doing "anything significantly more impressive than current gen" as you well put it.

Why is this so hard to accept?

Does Bayonetta 2 visuals look more technically impresive than GOW III? No. Could it look better if it ran at 30 fps? Probably yes, but Platinum opted to go for 60 fps feedback (like the first one) and i think it was a great decision for this kind of game.

XD Funny how it works both ways but you chose to ignore what you like to hear.

Refusing to recognize reality... hmm. Launch games looked about on par with late PS360 titles (on which devs had 7 years of experience). Only 6 months later, WiiU games are already looking a big leap beyond WiiU launch titles (X, Mario Kart, Bayo2), these games will likely look better by the time they release.

Maybe Bayo2 would look better if it also ran at 30fps without V-sync? Seriously? Maybe you could compare Bayo2 with titles Platinum made on PS360, 60 fps with V-sync (which is conveniently overlooked in most comparisons) and see what this studio was able to squeeze out of that hardware, early in the cycle.

Facing reality. You should try it.

Mr.ozfunghi there is any Wii U game in the market support direct x11?

DirectX is Microsoft. Neither Sony nor Nintendo will or ever have used it to my knowledge. So does WiiU (or its games) support DX11? No, neither does PS4.

WiiU supports a toolset of which features are also present in DirectX. So while it doesn't support DirectX (owned by Microsoft), it does support many of those features. WiiU runs an equivalent of DirectX10.1 features and a few specific ones also present in DX11.

I want to see Platinum port Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance to Wii U. I think that the game could work fairly well with touch-screen controls.

Refusing to recognize reality... hmm. Launch games looked about on par with late PS360 titles (on which devs had 7 years of experience). Only 6 months later, WiiU games are already looking a big leap beyond WiiU launch titles (X, Mario Kart, Bayo2), these games will likely look better by the time they release.
You are only looking at the side of the coin that favors your stance, try to be impartial in technical disscussions. We should also consider that the Wii U matched games runing in 7 year older hardware. Assassins Creed Black Flag a game made with more than 7 years of experience on 360/PS3 runs at 1080p/60 fps on the PS4, that's coming from a PS3 hardware which is architecturally quiet different from Sony's next gen console. So the "familiarity" excuse falls apart here, we aren't seen big differences in the first ports due to the Wii U lack of horse power. Wii and Wii U are abnormallies in console generations. Is typical to see marked improvements with games ported from one generation to the other, it is not expected for a next gen machine to look closely the same.
Maybe Bayo2 would look better if it also ran at 30fps without V-sync?
Did you read correctly my previous post? Because you seem confused here. The bolded is what i was saying. I was arguing that if Bayonetta 2 was targetting 30 fps it could probably run with more advanced effects than GOW III.
Seriously? Maybe you could compare Bayo2 with titles Platinum made on PS360, 60 fps with V-sync (which is conveniently overlooked in most comparisons) and see what this studio was able to squeeze out of that hardware, early in the cycle.

Facing reality. You should try it.
So what about your "7 years experience card" here. Why those 7 years of experience couldn't mean that Platinum Games could have released a Bayonetta 2 on 360 that looked substantially better than the first one. Why are you been selective on where experience work and where it doesnt?

WiiU supports a toolset of which features are also present in DirectX. So while it doesn't support DirectX (owned by Microsoft), it does support many of those features. WiiU runs an equivalent of DirectX10.1 features and a few specific ones also present in DX11.
Which ones? This is really interesting.
Tessellation (I know that it was on AMD's DX 10.1 cards, but DX10.1 didn't support tessellation IIRC, so it went unused) and maybe one or two others.
You mean "Adaptive Tesselation"? What's the source for this? At least we havent seen this effect in any of the games so far.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Actually, I should probably ask since I'm pretty bad about this sort of thing. But the above video is all real time, isn't it? I don't think the SSB series ever had CG cutscenes.

That trailer actually was CG. And, yes, Brawl had pre-rendered cutscenes in the Subspace Emissary.

ozfunghi

You are only looking at the side of the coin that favors your stance, try to be impartial in technical disscussions. We should also consider that the Wii U matched games runing in 7 year older hardware. Assassins Creed Black Flag a game made with more than 7 years of experience on 360/PS3 runs at 1080p/60 fps on the PS4, that's coming from a PS3 hardware which is architecturally quiet different from Sony's next gen console. So the "familiarity" excuse falls apart here, we aren't seen big differences in the first ports due to the Wii U lack of horse power. Wii and Wii U are abnormallies in console generations. Is typical to see marked improvements with games ported from one generation to the other, it is not expected for a next gen machine to look closely the same.

My argument does not fall apart in the least. Nowhere am i claiming WiiU to be in the same league of PS4 or even close. It is you that seems to be suggesting it is roughly on par with this 7 year old hardware.
The fact that PS4 ports look better in 1080p/60fps without the 7 years experience is simply because the hardware is that much more powerful to pull it off.
If WiiU were only a factor of 2x more powerful (including the use of more modern toolsets etc) than PS360, these differences would not be apparent in early, budget restraint ports, mainly due to devs being unfamiliar with the hardware, the fact that when the system launched there was still no decent documentation, and only recently (before launch), an ENTIRE CORE of the CPU had been unlocked for use.
All these things lead up to a situation where WiiU games don't look like PS4 games obviously, and not much beyond PS360. But it also doesn't mean that we won't see serious improvements along the way (just compare launch games to what we saw at E3), let alone games looking leagues ahead of PS360 by the time the system retires. (PS: and by that, i mean the difference from a PS2 port to an Xbox port, like Splinter Cell, within the same generation).

Did you read correctly my previous post? Because you seem confused here. The bolded is what i was saying. I was arguing that if Bayonetta 2 was targetting 30 fps it could probably run with more advanced effects than GOW III.

Yes, i was making fun of you questioning the fact that it "maybe" looking better under those circumstances. There is no "maybe" about it, unless the developer is time and budget restraint.

So what about your "7 years experience card" here. Why those 7 years of experience couldn't mean that Platinum Games could have released a Bayonetta 2 on 360 that looked substantially better than the first one. Why are you been selective on where experience work and where it doesnt?

We're comparing games in order to judge the hardware, are we not? This is a hardware topic, no? So in order to rule on hardware, you have to compare the software made under the same circumstances. That means no 7 year headstart for PS360. I would have thought that were obvious.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
big gap yes, nothing like the gulf last gen though

Pretty much this.

Last gen, it wasn't just that there was a generational gap, but also the fact that GC era hardware still had issues with things like low res textures, and blocky geometry. Now while there IS still a generational gap, the Wii-U is at a stage of power where doesn't have to worry about such problems nearly to the same extent that Wii did, so it's not as jarring compared to PS4One.

I've always said that I didn't mind the idea of Nintendo giving up the specs race, but that they should have waited for one more generation.

JordanN

Banned
Actually, I should probably ask since I'm pretty bad about this sort of thing. But the above video is all real time, isn't it? I don't think the SSB series ever had CG cutscenes.
Melee had a pre rendered intro. Brawl pre-rendered scenes using in game assets.

That scene for Smash Bros WiiU/3DS is all pre render though.

Edit: Oh wow, I must have not refreshed in time. Didn't see the other posts.

If we considering a full generational leap 10x, then it's less than that.
wasn't the power gap between the N64 and the GameCube only like 5X?

Oblivion said:
Pretty much this.

Last gen, it wasn't just that there was a generational gap, but also the fact that GC era hardware still had issues with things like low res textures, and blocky geometry. Now while there IS still a generational gap, the Wii-U is at a stage of power where doesn't have to worry about such problems nearly to the same extent that Wii did, so it's not as jarring compared to PS4One.

Obviously you haven't seen even EARLY GameCube games running on Dolphin. The higher resolution shows that a lot of the textures are surprisingly high resolution.

Van Owen

Banned
It's funny that Nintendo fans think comparing early e3 builds on early hardware to Wii U's second wave of games from Nintendo is fair, considering using actual released Wii U games as evidence of the system's power was blasphemy because of old devkits or whatever the fuck.

But early PS4 and One games still look significantly better than Wii U games.

flippedb

Banned
Yes it seems like its similar to Bayo1 (60fps gameplay, 30fps cinema)

PS3 has a weaker GPU in many aspects than 360, and the WU is slightly more powerful than the 360 so we should see solid 60FPS and better assets

Was Bayo1 locked @60? Also, I'm hearing it had a lot of screen tearing issues. Bayo2 is keeping a solid framerate, looks better than the first AND seems to have V-sync on. Big difference.

It's funny that Nintendo fans think comparing early e3 builds on early hardware to Wii U's second wave of games from Nintendo is fair, considering using actual released Wii U games as evidence of the system's power was blasphemy because of old devkits or whatever the fuck.

But early PS4 and One games still look significantly better than Wii U games.

The PS4 and Xboner have more raw power. Plain and simple.

Was Bayo1 locked @60? Also, I'm hearing it had a lot of screen tearing issues. Bayo2 is keeping a solid framerate, looks better than the first AND seems to have V-sync on. Big difference.

Bayo 1 ran mostly at 60 on 360 and God only knows what the hell happened to the framerate on the PS3 version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom