• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WiiU "Latte" GPU Die Photo - GPU Feature Set And Power Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Litri

I'm not a tech expert but by looking at the best quality videos on youtube (especially some direct feeds) it can be clearly seen that the biggest bump coming for Nintendo titles has gone to the amount of poly detail.

At least Mario Kart 8 shows this change and if you look at the character/kart models you can really see they are very high (at least compared to the Wii ones) Am i right?

I'm not a tech expert but by looking at the best quality videos on youtube (especially some direct feeds) it can be clearly seen that the biggest bump coming for Nintendo titles has gone to the amount of poly detail.

At least Mario Kart 8 shows this change and if you look at the character/kart models you can really see they are very high (at least compared to the Wii ones) Am i right?

Compared to the Wii ones the jump is huge, no doubt. Though the upgraded lighting is just as important and noticeable imo.
MK Wii was quite low poly even for a Wii game (it looked pretty clean though and ran at flawless framerates all of the time, so I didn't consider it much of a problem). Good to hear that Mario Kart 8 will run at 60 fps too.

For me it is the lighting. It´s outstanding.

BaBaRaRa

Just look at the trailer.

The models shadow on to themselves AND on to the environment at a very high resolution; video compression aside, there's nothing to indicate bandwidth constrained low res shadows here. Look at face features - noses, hair pieces, all cast shadows back onto the face / body.

The models have impeccable shading as well, very smooth - but they also take cues from around them. Watch Mario's nose as his cart goes into hover mode. There's a lovely subtle blue highlight underneath.

I've seen nothing to indicate that there's any kind of global illumination or true dynamic lighting system going on, so let's not get carried away; but what is there looks very good without some of the compromises that have been done this/last gen.

fred

I can't make up my mind. Out of what we've seen so far I'd say that technically and visually the two most impressive Wii U games are Bayonetta 2 and Mario Kart 8...but I keep on changing my mind about which one is better than the other lol.

After seeing these two games in action I'm hoping we can put these 'the Wii U is 1.5 times more powerful than the 360' comments to bed finally. Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 2, X and Donkey Kong all look decidedly 'next gen' to me. Shame about 3D Mario though. :eek:(

Interview with AMD VP Saeid Moshkelani talk about the gpu and apu of the 3 consols.

http://www.viddler.com/v/4e90fcd4?secret=83279332

Interesting interview from AMD's perspective. Thanks for posting that. It seems that at one point he said that in the case of Wii U (Nintendo's system, I think he said), it was basically an instance of licensing/integrating the IP, whereas for Xbone/PS4, they had a more active role in the development. I think alot of us here figured as much, but it helps to hear it from the source.

soulx

Banned
I can't make up my mind. Out of what we've seen so far I'd say that technically and visually the two most impressive Wii U games are Bayonetta 2 and Mario Kart 8...but I keep on changing my mind about which one is better than the other lol.

After seeing these two games in action I'm hoping we can put these 'the Wii U is 1.5 times more powerful than the 360' comments to bed finally. Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 2, X and Donkey Kong all look decidedly 'next gen' to me. Shame about 3D Mario though. :eek:(
More like it confirms those comments. A noticeable improvement over current-gen but nothing truly "next-gen".

AmyS

Interesting.

So last/current-gen IBM had the CPU trifecta with Cell, Xenon, Broadway.
AMD had a GPU double play with Xenos and Hollywood.

This next-gen AMD has a GPU/APU trifecta with Latte, PS4, Xbox One.

Nvidia is out of everything console-wise,
sans Shield

ozfunghi

Old? Debunked?

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/06/13/bayonetta-2-i-have-no-idea-what-just-happened/

Dibujo-19_zps5ed4cf64.jpg

tkscz

Project Cars - filtered - WiiU changelog

Seems to be at an early stage (e.g "derived from" comments) but maybe it can shed some light as to how the devs are planning to utilize the WiiU hardware/GPU.

I'm not really qualified to go through it - maybe you guys will find it more useful.

Not sure why this got ignored, but what do they mean "Stripped down from DX11"? Are they saying the brought it down from the DX11 version, or took some code from the DX11 version?

prag16

Banned
Just like Black Ops 2.

The 1080p BO2 claim came from Eric Hirschberg saying "full HD" which many wishful thinkers took to mean 1080p when he actually meant HD compared to previous Nintendo versions.

No actual source ever explicitly claimed 1080p for that game.

krizzx

If the GC and the Wii had 3 rasterizers... does that mean that they could render 3 polys/clock? O_O
Aren't rasterizers what limit the max. polygon throughput since they are what transform vertex into pixels?

If this is the case, then I think that this hardware is more difficult to understand as time passes than otherwise. I mean, how can the eDram on the WiiU used as L2 cache for the CPU have latencies comparable to the traditional sRam used on the Wii at the same clockspeed?
So many questions without a proper answer...

I can understand that as a fanboy you have some companies to deffend at all costs, but after seeing Bayonetta 2, X, Mario Kart and even Donkey Kong, it's pretty clear that the WiiU's graphics at this moment are much more advanced that anything the PS3/60 could do.
The difference between Bayonetta and Bayonetta 2 is absolutely huge, and yes, after seeing actual gameplay footage I think that Bayonetta 2 is much closer to PS4 than I ever thought the WiiU could ever be.

Interesting. I never thought about that. The GPU did have 2 rasterizers back then and the GC GPU did manage to take the record for most polygons in a game by over 2 times back then.

Can someone with a little bit more knowledge in the field weigh in on this? I think it is pretty safe to say that Latte has "at least" 2 rasterizers, for BC if nothing else. It should be capable of double the polygon throughput rated by its clocks.

I've noticed this since ZombiU. There has been a clear hike in polygon count in ground up titles since launch when compared to last gen games.

They're targeting 60FPS so I really doubt it.

I wish Retro was working on a NEW IP...

:(

You are aware that they are called "Retro" studios right?

Some body please show me a cart a racer on PS360 that looks this good?

http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_mario_kart_8_e3_gameplay-30282_en.html

WOAH...I thought the game looked alright at a glance, but I didn't know it looked "THAT" good.

Not sure if it's already been posted but there's a clip of the whole of the Bayonetta 2 demo here.

Really does look stunning. It would be interesting to know if that's normal mapping or tesselation on the big dragon thingy at the end. My guess would be normal mapping, but either way it looks bloomin impressive.

It does. Anyone of the 'informed well in gaming tech' persuasion care to take a quick guess for us at how many polygons this game is pushing out roughly between the character models, plane and city background on any given full frame? To me it would be nice to have a somewhat wild number like that for perspective.

It does. Anyone of the 'informed well in gaming tech' persuasion care to take a quick guess for us at how many polygons this game is pushing out roughly between the character models, plane and city background on any given full frame? To me it would be nice to have a somewhat wild number like that for perspective.

assuming that Bayonetta's model is using a scaled-down 60,000 poly version (I think that the 100K model may be for promotional purposes, but in the event that the game IS using the absolutely ridiculous model in game, I'll do an estimation for that as well) and the enemies on screen are maybe 20,000 polys considering how detailed they are, with an average of 3 enemies on screen, the plane is maybe 20,000 polygons (it doesn't need to be that detailed, but with enough polys to look smooth), and the city is probably streamed to avoid having to load that ENTIRE BLOODY CITY ALL AT ONCE, I'm assuming that the city at any moment in time is showing about 600,000 polys. And if her hair monsters are in frame, I'm assuming that, at the most basic level, they have about 10,000 polygons. All together (for the low-poly Bayonetta theory, that would bring my estimate to approx. 750,000 polys per frame (about 45 million polys/second). With the 100K Bayonetta model theory, I estimate about 790,000 polys per frame (47.4 million polys/second). I could be (and probably am) way off with this, but that seems like a fairly safe estimate, since you want to maintain a smoother framerate and the city and plane don't need to be that detailed, but the enemies, Bayonetta and her hair monsters need to be fairly detailed.

guek

Banned
All the press kit images aside from Wind Waker are 720p, so unless we get confirmation from the developers that they're 1080p, i'm working from the assumption that they're 720p

Wasn't this also the case with Smash even though it's also 1080p?

Personally I'm in the boat that Bayonetta is 720 but I'm anxious to hear actual confirmation. Someone should tweet kamiya...if they dare!

Wasn't this also the case with Smash even though it's also 1080p?

Personally I'm in the boat that Bayonetta is 720 but I'm anxious to hear actual confirmation. Someone should tweet kamiya...if they dare!
Kamiya confirmed Wonderful 101 as 720p so I'm assuming Bayonetta would be too.

tarheel91

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom