• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WiiU "Latte" GPU Die Photo - GPU Feature Set And Power Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Perhaps, though, when the shadows hit perpendicular surfaces, I find they don't have the same feel as typical shadowmaps I usually see. For example, when the light source is above the characters, and the characters jump up a wall, the shadows will cast vertically great distances very cleanly. Typically this type of cast will stretch the resolution of any shadowmap I've ran into, showing it's raster roots.
The cast will stretch the resolution of the map only if the projection is perspective. If it's orthographic the resolution will stay constant throughout the span of the projection. And those shadows do seem of orthographic nature.

Perhaps they are shadowmaps, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're doing some other type of shadowing, or some pretty tricky filtering. Most definately, they have multiple shadow layers going on at the same time, potentially of different types too.
They indeed seem to have multiple shadow layers - decals, shadow maps, and last but not least, their in-shadow pixels do not seem to lose their specular component - an aesthetics they used first in NintendoLand, AFAIK. Also, looking at the last gif, it seems they use individual shadows for the various casters - something which allows for all variations and/or fine-grain control over the appearance and resolution of each caster-receiver setup.

Typical Ubisoft.

Anyway. People are mentioning performance gains after this latest update? Someone also mentioned their Wii U was running warm and the fan was on higher while at the home screen.

Can anyone test a new power draw?

I can't test the power draw but I can try playing games with performance issues like Arkham City and Darksiders 2.

Rolf NB

To support SMP and make room for the additional DMA channels I guess.

Now, somebody correct me if I'm wrong here, but normal CPUs don't support DMA. They do memory transactions over their regular FSB. The Nintendo modified 750s on the other hand do have a DMA engine connected to L1d, allowing them to read from and write to memory without going through the FSB. Espresso has three cores and therefore three DMA engines, and I guess each DMA engine has a physical connection to the AMBA DMA controller on Latte. So it would require a wider bus.
DMA does not imply a separate memory bus. It just means you can move (bulks of) data without involving CPU load/store instructions. So you still have the CPU free to execute "proper" code in the meantime.
e: and not implicitly spoiling your caches also helps.

DrWong

Found these Project CARS Wii U build changelogs on > http://www.virtualr.net/project-cars-weekly-build-recap-5

Something new/interesting?

Build 572 (27/9/13, Team Member+)
WiiU:
* WiiU Thread Setup for RVM/Envmap and Phase3 rendering
* WiiU – tweaked Gamma down again
* HUD Mirror rendering optimised for WiiU – uses it own aliased targets for phase1/2/3, removing a texture copy. Increased Mirror resolution + all in MEM1
* WiiU Increased thread priority for RenderThreads

Build 571 (26/9/13, Team Member+)
WiiU:
* WiiU – various command buffer call state fixes + redundant sampler setting caching
* WiiU warning fix (CarPreviewObject)
* Rain lighting corrected – ambient-and-shadow buffer alias created for particles shadowing

Build 570 (25/9/13, Team Member+)
WiiU:
* WiiU shader parameter setting optimisations
* Support for rendercontext SlopeScale bias (polygon offset in GX2 speak) : fixes shadow z-fighting/motherships

Build 569 (24/9/13, Team Member+)
WiiU:
* WiiU – enabled multi-threaded shadow rendering
* Fix Ambient Shadow MAX_THREADS. WIP RVM multi-threading
* WiiU. DisplayLists are now double buffered – fixes crash in release when using threaded rendering

Build 568 (23/9/13, Team Member+)
WiiU:
* WiiU 0 switch over to Raw Vertex Ptr method for particle systems
* WiiU – support for Raw Vertex/Index Buffers (accelerates particle rendering, also fixes the track worn racing line)
* WiiU – adjust Gamma down a little (Ged mentioned things look a little washed out)
* Fix broken WiiU compilation after recent Gui refactor
* CHUD – fix KickOffRendering sequence around Phase3/landscape and forward rendering

Typical Ubisoft.

Anyway. People are mentioning performance gains after this latest update? Someone also mentioned their Wii U was running warm and the fan was on higher while at the home screen.

Can anyone test a new power draw?

I played 2 MP matches in CoD BOs 2 and the first SP mission.

MP has always ran very good, but I found it more responsive and even smoother, great fast CoD gameplay. Looking forward to Ghost.

In SP slowdowns were reported. When I played for the first time the first mission, I had slowdowns in the first battle and all the sequence when carrying Woods.
After the update the first battle went very smooth and it continued through out the mission. The only slowdown I noticed was at the very end when you are carrying Woods, right before the Helicopter arrives.

Will check on AC3 and Lego City when I have more time.

Found these Project CARS Wii U build changelogs on > http://www.virtualr.net/project-cars-weekly-build-recap-5

Something new/interesting?

Really intrigued by this game on Wii U. I hope we can see something soon.

codhand

The lighting is great. wow
mzfu.gif

In my technical opinion it looks like they really utilized the chip's amazeballs functionality.

HTupolev

Aren't cubemaps for reflecting entire environments (i.e a puddle of water)?
You can use pre-made indistinct reflection maps just fine for making an image look shiny, if you don't care about precise physical accuracy. As far as pre-baked approaches go, in many cases it's arguably better than using cubemaps that are a precise representation of a scene, as the inaccuracies due to viewer position won't be apparant (won't exist, really).

It's definitely seems like a specular map (responsible for shinyness).
Which I recognized as a possible contributor. The structure of the reflection (especially on the mask) makes me hesitant to suspect that it's entirely a single-source specular reflection, though.

joesiv

Which I recognized as a possible contributor. The structure of the reflection (especially on the mask) makes me hesitant to suspect that it's entirely a single-source specular reflection, though.

Judging by the little vinettes where the W100 chat, the "reflection's" are crazy, and not apparently connected to any light source. So prob just an amped up spec-map.

fred

When I think of this game or any other racing sim I'm frustrated that Nintendo didn't put an extra couple of buttons underneath the GamePad, below the D-Pad and ABXY buttons. This would allow you to change gears with them the way that they do with F1 steering wheels. The GamePad already looks like an F1 steering wheel so they should have gone the whole hog imo...how fucking awesome would that have been..?!!?!? :eek:O

A great opportunity missed I reckon! :eek:(

SmokyDave

When I think of this game or any other racing sim I'm frustrated that Nintendo didn't put an extra couple of buttons underneath the GamePad, below the D-Pad and ABXY buttons. This would allow you to change gears with them the way that they do with F1 steering wheels. The GamePad already looks like an F1 steering wheel so they should have gone the whole hog imo...how fucking awesome would that have been..?!!?!? :eek:O

A great opportunity missed I reckon! :eek:(
They didn't even go with analogue triggers, man. Nintendo just don't recognise sim racers as legit.

Is it possible a 3rd party can produce a controller with analog sticks or maybe nintendo releases a updated pro controller.

I'm 99% sure that can't happen. It's like why no one made a 360 controller with pressure sensitive buttons for games like MGS. They can't detect it. The controller protocol is different.

Just like how DS4 for PS4 has the digital (on/off) face buttons, instead of the pressure sensitive ones and you can't use the DS4 for PS3 because the protocols aren't matching. They send different data packets.

prag16

Banned
I'm 99% sure that can't happen. It's like why no one made a 360 controller with pressure sensitive buttons for games like MGS. They can't detect it. The controller protocol is different.

Just like how DS4 for PS4 has the digital (on/off) face buttons, instead of the pressure sensitive ones and you can't use the DS4 for PS3 because the protocols aren't matching. They send different data packets.

I doubt it's COMPLETELY out of the question. Racing wheels with analog pedals were being made for consoles long before the stock controllers had analog buttons.

I doubt it's COMPLETELY out of the question. Racing wheels with analog pedals were being made for consoles long before the stock controllers had analog buttons.

how about a pedals add on that sends the pedals through as analogue sticks and like a fixing that holds the pad steady and use the gyros to steer?

SmokyDave

Is it possible a 3rd party can produce a controller with analog sticks or maybe nintendo releases a updated pro controller.
It would probably be fairly straightforward to create a steering wheel controller where the brake and accelerate pedals emulated the Y axis of the right stick. Whether anyone does is another question.

Edit: although that would mean that only one pedal could operate at any given time, so maybe 'straightforward' wasn't the right word.

fred

We're going a bit off-topic here now lol.

For some reason my phone doesn't like that link, only displays the page for a split second and then all the text disappears...

Can anyone glean anything useful from it..?

fred

Oops, my bad. Didn't see that!

Particle shadows should be pretty cool. We've seen that already with the Wii with Silent Hill Shattered Memories with the snow which looked great so having that happening in a racing game in the rain will be awesome!

OryoN

I don't know a whole lot of the technical details of those Project Cars change logs, but it's clear that SMS is really taking the Wii U version seriously. They've already went on record saying that it's a Wii U game that you'll want to show off to others, and that comment came before quite a few of these changes(or at least before the log dates). I'm really anxious to see how the Wii U version is looking now. It would also be interesting to hear their thoughts on Wii U's hardware and their experience with it, whenever they are able to freely talk about that version of the game.

Log4Girlz

I don't know a whole lot of the technical details of those Project Cars change logs, but it's clear that SMS is really taking the Wii U version seriously. They've already went on record saying that it's a Wii U game that you'll want to show off to others, and that comment came before quite a few of these changes(or at least before the log dates). I'm really anxious to see how the Wii U version is looking now. It would also be interesting to hear their thoughts on Wii U's hardware and their experience with it, whenever they are able to freely talk about that version of the game.

Does it use the gamepad screen as a horn?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
your proof? If I had a capture device at the moment, I'd put up a screenshot. Only explanation for why the hud elements suddenly got jaggy and the jagged edges crossed over TWO pixels instead of one.
During what scene & location did you observe that?

During what scene & location did you observe that?

Right after you acquire the master sword and leave the sanctuary. I was getting attacked by the standard Darknut when I noticed that the HUD elements seemed jaggy. And then I looked at the statue of Link and noticed that the jaggies on that seemed larger too. I looked closer at my screen and, sure enough, each step was crossing over two pixels. A few seconds later, though, everything changed back to 1920x1080. I REALLY wished that
I had a capture card because Miiverse saves all photos as an icky .jpg and scales everything down to around 720p.

tipoo

Banned
Is Super Mario 3D World going to be 60FPS? Normally, I would say that this was a dumb question, but Mario Sunshine originally ran at 60FPS and then, for whatever reason, they dropped it down to 30.

Yeah 60fps, 720p upscaled to 1080p.

http://**********.com/?mode=viewstory&id=213553

Edit: ffs, why can't I get links working here?
Anyways, from Nintendominations twitter:

Short information!!! #SuperMario3DWorld on #WiiU runs in 720p (upscaled 1080p) with 60fps.

What in the... he got banned again already? How??? jackiechan.jpg

Lol...Lesson not learned I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom