• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WikiLeaks release excluded evidence of €2 billion transfer from Syria to Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadskin

A trove of hacked emails published by WikiLeaks in 2012 excludes records of a €2 billion transaction between the Syrian regime and a government-owned Russian bank, according to leaked U.S. court documents obtained by the Daily Dot.
The court records, placed under seal by a Manhattan federal court and obtained by the Daily Dot through an anonymous source, show in detail how a group of hacktivists breached the Syrian government’s networks on the eve of the country’s civil war and extracted emails about major bank transactions the Syrian regime was hurriedly making amid a host of economic sanctions. In the spring of 2012, most of the emails found their way into a WikiLeaks database.

But one set of emails in particular didn’t make it into the cache of documents published by WikiLeaks in July 2012 as “The Syria Files,” despite the fact that the hackers themselves were ecstatic at their discovery. The correspondence, which WikiLeaks has denied withholding, describes “more than” €2 billion ($2.4 billion, at current exchange rates) moving from the Central Bank of Syria to Russia’s VTB Bank.
In response to a request for comment, WikiLeaks said the preceding account “is speculation and it is false.” The spokesperson continued: “The release includes many emails referencing Syrian-Russian relations. As a matter of long standing policy we do not comment on claimed sources. It is disappointing to see Daily Dot pushing the Hillary Clinton campaign’s neo-McCarthyist conspiracy theories about critical media.” (WikiLeaks threatened to retaliate against the reporters if they pursued the story: “Go right ahead,” they said, “but you can be sure we will return the favour one day.”)
More: http://www.dailydot.com/layer8/wikileaks-syria-files-syria-russia-bank-2-billion/

Xe4

Banned
Yeah, sounds about right for Wikileaks.
It is disappointing to see Daily Dot pushing the Hillary Clinton campaign’s neo-McCarthyist conspiracy theories about critical media.

"neo-McCarthyist" ahhhahahahhahahahahahahhahhahahahahavahhahaba fjdjfjidjehfuri3idjjfjtir930fkfnxbam&!&=&%£
OMG I cant.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
im_shocked.gif

geestack

wasn't assange on hannity's show the other night? dude is a full-on stooge and puppet at this point. wikileaks has no more credibility

TyrantII

They've also found documents that have been edited between different releases.

Guys are doing Russia's work for them.

Lmao I wonder if Assange was allied with Russia during the initial leaks or just when he had to flee from being interviewed over a sexual assault case.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Why am not shocked that somehow Assange managed to put Hillary Clinton on blast for this
KuGsj.gif

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
What the heck does hillary have to do with any of this?

Absolutely nothing

What the hell are you talking about? Who are you talking to?

What the heck does hillary have to do with any of this?

Absolutely nothing

What the hell are you talking about? Who are you talking to?

Yep the fact they themselves where the ones to try and link it to the election is just proof of them worried about being exposed.

bionic77

No one will care.

If it is not Hillary's email account people just don't give a fuck.

Wikileaks, Putin, Trump, tax returns. Eh. Not so important.

Donos

Till two months ago i had Wikileaks only in my memory as the site who leaked stuff (way back) and Assange and his escape.
Through gaf i learned that they still leak stuff and that there is maybe an agenda behind it now. The more I read about it the more i tend to belive the tinfoil hat Russia-is-behind-it stories. This new piece ads a bit.
Let's see if the reporter dies of casual Polonium Tea...

NoRéN

Yeah, sounds about right for Wikileaks.

"neo-McCarthyist" ahhhahahahhahahahahahahhahhahahahahavahhahaba fjdjfjidjehfuri3idjjfjtir930fkfnxbam&!&=&%£
OMG I cant.
Like they just watched Dazed and Confused for the first time.

kirblar

Till two months ago i had Wikileaks only in my memory as the site who leaked stuff (way back) and Assange and his escape.
Through gaf i learned that they still leak stuff and that there is maybe an agenda behind it now. The more I read about it the more i tend to belive the tinfoil hat Russia-is-behind-it stories. This new piece ads a bit.
They haven't been tinfoil hat theories for a while now. Things just keep dogpiling.

It's less tinfoil hat and more pretty much absolute fact.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
we do not comment... goes on to comment

No one will care.

If it is not Hillary's email account people just don't give a fuck.

Wikileaks, Putin, Trump, tax returns. Eh. Not so important.

I think people will pay some attention since Wikileaks has been leaking stuff to hurt Hillary and it's even more relevant because it sorta feeds into the current narrative of Trump really loves Putin and why these other groups are becoming pro Russia all of a sudden.

It's an undeniable fact at this point that Wikileaks is just another propaganda machine.

I pity anyone who thinks they're still an impartial source of leaked information.

It's an undeniable fact at this point that Wikileaks is just another propaganda machine.

I pity anyone who thinks they're still an impartial source of leaked information.

I don't think the stuff leaked was ever proven of being wrong or faked.

One just need to know how to work with a source like WikiLeaks.

Pbae

Assange is a POS that goes against the very thing he says he stands for. He wants that Russian Political Asylum asap.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
(WikiLeaks threatened to retaliate against the reporters if they pursued the story: “Go right ahead,” they said, “but you can be sure we will return the favour one day.”)
Really showing their true colors right there.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
does anyone really see wikileaks as anything more than the cyber terrorist arm of the Russian government?

Lucumo

A few days after discovering the Syrian–Russian bank emails, one of RevoluSec’s principal hackers—the others often sought this individual’s permission before making any drastic moves—offered up another idea: “It’d be so funny to change some details on these mails and send a hundred million to WikiLeaks,” they said. “I know in theory it shouldn’t work, but they’re so stupid about email.”
Yeah, real funny. Idiots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom