• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WikiLeaks release excluded evidence of €2 billion transfer from Syria to Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quixzlizx

If there's anything to be salty about, it's all of the useful idiots in the West who lap it all up to stick it to the neoliberal man.

Blader

In response to a request for comment, WikiLeaks said the preceding account “is speculation and it is false.” The spokesperson continued: “The release includes many emails referencing Syrian-Russian relations. As a matter of long standing policy we do not comment on claimed sources. It is disappointing to see Daily Dot pushing the Hillary Clinton campaign’s neo-McCarthyist conspiracy theories about critical media.” (WikiLeaks threatened to retaliate against the reporters if they pursued the story: “Go right ahead,” they said, “but you can be sure we will return the favour one day.”)

Aside from threatening journalists who dare to investigate them, what the hell is Wikileaks actually saying here? That the emails weren't withheld, or that the withheld emails don't even exist?

Wikileaks is shit and always has been.

They have never done any good. They are only furthering their own agenda, which is apparently to make money off Russia's interests.

Alexlf

Aside from threatening journalists who dare to investigate them, what the hell is Wikileaks actually saying here? That the emails weren't withheld, or that the withheld emails don't even exist?

I think they're claiming they never received the other emails and released everything they got. Which is either a load of BS, or they are intentionally eating directly out of Russia's palms under the defence of "We don't comment on sources".

Yes, it is. And in reality you don't break into other countries' embassies.

Unless you know, you like want to.

Time to toss wikileaks into the breitbart, et. al pile.

That response was somewhat reasonable until the end, where it went off the rails into "I can't even" territory.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Unless you know, you like want to.

Time to toss wikileaks into the breitbart, et. al pile.

That response was somewhat reasonable until the end, where it went off the rails into "I can't even" territory.

Americans are so quick to show their self-righteousness.

I wonder why they haven't took him out even it's so easy, then?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
The News Media needs to quit talking about anything Wikileaks releases.

Piano

Banned
Americans are so quick to show their self-righteousness.

I wonder why they haven't took him out even it's so easy, then?

I don't see what being American has to do with this. I am American and don't think they should enter another country's embassy to make arrests. What does that make me?

Brazil

I don't see what being American has to do with this. I am American and don't think they should enter another country's embassy to make arrests. What does that make me?

An American who thinks reasonably. And maybe one who doesn't deny the fact that many (maybe most) of their compatriots love the idea of making justice with their own hands as well.

An American who thinks reasonably. And maybe one who doesn't deny the fact that many (maybe most) of their compatriots love the idea of making justice with their own hands as well.

See, comments like this make me think you aren't just defending the sovereignty of embassies. You do admit that Assange should be tried for sexual assault, and probably works for the Russian government, right?

Brazil

See, comments like this make me think you aren't just defending the sovereignty of embassies. You do admit that Assange should be tried for sexual assault, and probably works for the Russian government, right?

Of course. It just bothers me that, when people in English languages discuss this subject, everything quickly devolves into "We're powerful let's just break in and get him!" territory.

You don't fuck with embassies. You just don't.

kmfdmpig

I didn't see anyone propose that the US went into the embassy, just that a degenerate not be given sanctuary from his crimes.

The quote in question was "Ecuador is basically housing a cyber terrorist. Get him already."

It doesn't mention the US at all, and if anything seems to imply that it should be Ecuador handling it or the UK. Where the anti American stuff came from is a bit of a mystery.

Brazil

I didn't see anyone propose that the US went into the embassy, just that a degenerate not be given sanctuary from his crimes.

Come on, read. The thread isn't even that long.

Ecuador is basically housing a cyber terrorist. Get him already.

Wikileaks sucks. Just go and get the dude, fuck Ecuador's embassy.

Edit:

The quote in question was "Ecuador is basically housing a cyber terrorist. Get him already."

Now you're just playing coy. Look who the guy quoted when he said that.

It doesn't mention the US at all, and if anything seems to imply that it should be Ecuador handling it or the UK. Where the anti American stuff came from is a bit of a mystery.

OT threads don't exist in a bubble in which people can't enter without leaving all their baggage on any given subject at the door.

Piano

Banned

Of course. It just bothers me that, when people in English languages discuss this subject, everything quickly devolves into "We're powerful let's just break in and get him!" territory.

Careful not to connect the dots in such a way that you see the pattern you want to see. Americans can be brazen, but I disagree that "most" educated Americans think everything should bend to their will. I live in a pretty conservative area, too.

All I'm saying is please don't paint with too wide of a brush. We could all do the same about each others' countrymen.

Brazil

Careful not to connect the dots in such a way that you see the pattern you want to see. Americans can be brazen, but I disagree that "most" educated Americans think everything should bend to their will. I live in a pretty conservative area, too.

All I'm saying is please don't paint with too wide of a brush. We could all do the same about each others' countrymen.

It's just that, to my experience, having this discussion in Portuguese or Spanish language boards never ends up like this. But point taken.

RangerX

Banned
I used to defend Wikileaks quite a bit back in the day but I don't thin k an organisation has ever dropped down in my estimations as much as they have. What the fuck man.

kmfdmpig

Come on, read. The thread isn't even that long.

Edit:

Now you're just playing coy. Look who the guy quoted when he said that.

OT threads don't exist in a bubble in which people can't enter without leaving all their baggage on any given subject at the door.

I read the thread. No one mentioned the US or America before you did. He's in an embassy of Ecuador in London. What would Americans have to do with it?

I remember you were quite against painting nationalities with a broad brush when it came to people discussing your country during the Olympics. It's interesting to see your lack of consistency on that ideal.

Brazil

I read the thread. No one mentioned the US or America before you did. He's in an embassy of Ecuador in London. What would Americans have to do with it?

I remember you were quite against painting nationalities with a broad brush when it came to people discussing your country during the Olympics. It's interesting to see your lack of consistency on that ideal.

You're absolutely right. I shouldn't have said that, as much as people in this thread are clearly guilty of what I'm complaining about.

Despite standing by the feeling that Americans (and Westerners in general, sure) need to chill the fuck out with the "fuck the rules" discourse, I apologize. I don't know if most of us think like that, just that some do. It's not fair to generalize.

Lautaro

Wikileaks sucks. Just go and get the dude, fuck Ecuador's embassy.

Yeeehaw!!

Ecuador is not one of your enemies, what kind of message you think it would send to the rest of non-aligned countries if the USA (or anyone) started breaking into embassies. WTF, I expect governments to be more reasonable than some of the people here.

jorma

is now taking requests
That's really what you got out of this?

Do i believe that wikileaks is a front for Russia? No, obviously not.

Do i believe that the US is actively working desinformation against wikileaks? Yes, of course they do.

Do i think that wikileaks maybe should tone down the "mcarthyism" stuff? Yeah.

Do i believe wikileaks or the daily dot in this particular instance? Well my money isn't on the daily dot but i don't really know.

It continues to baffle me how in my eyes Wikileaks went from a good cause to a propaganda machine almost overnight.

Actually, the whole broader situation is just so bizarre. The alt right, Russia, wikileaks, Trump, ... There seems to be an unholy and unexpected coalition forming that's actively trying to manipulate the western political system. It's like a Bond film scenario. In any case, all of the aforementioned can go fuck themselves.

kmfdmpig

Despite standing by the feeling that Americans (and Westerners in general, sure) need to chill the fuck out with the "fuck the rules" discourse,

I completely agree with you there. He's in an embassy, and protection in an embassy should be considered sacrosanct. I am not a fan of Assange, and wish that Ecuador did not keep him from a trial in Sweden, but I do not want to see anyone try to break into an embassy to get him.

Lautaro

Governments don't last forever, just wait and maybe the next one will turn Assange. No need to rush things.

Nafai1123

Banned
It continues to baffle me how in my eyes Wikileaks went from a good cause to a propaganda machine almost overnight.

Actually, the whole broader situation is just so bizarre. The alt right, Russia, wikileaks, Trump, ... There seems to be an unholy and unexpected coalition forming that's actively trying to manipulate the western political system. It's like a Bond film scenario. In any case, all of the aforementioned can go fuck themselves.

That's exactly what's happening and yeah, they can all get fucked with their nationalist propaganda bullshit.

But one set of emails in particular didn’t make it into the cache of documents published by WikiLeaks in July 2012 as “The Syria Files,” despite the fact that the hackers themselves were ecstatic at their discovery. The correspondence, which WikiLeaks has denied withholding, describes “more than” €2 billion ($2.4 billion, at current exchange rates) moving from the Central Bank of Syria to Russia’s VTB Bank.

So basically WikiLeaks needs their own WikiLeaks.

JJD

Man it's a fucking shame what happened to wikileaks. They've lost all credibility they had these last few years.

JackDT

Reporters answering questions on the story here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/politics/c...ileaks_syria_docs_exclude_email_on_2b/d7g5k1d

Cr7hYYLWAAAfdcb.jpg

I mean, they cleraly care enough not to just grab Assange.

Why the hell would US/UK force Assange to come out anyway? The moron is already serving life time sentence inside the embassy. When he come out, he need to serve god knows how many more years for "raping" 2 women.

Arkeband

Banned
Even Bill Maher tried to give Assange a chance to dispel some "myths" on his show a few weeks back, and Assange wasted it by attacking Maher, accusing him of donating a million dollars to Hillary Clinton. (which he may actually end up doing if it gets her on his show - Maher was so butthurt that Obama never accepted his invitation, but Hillary...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom