• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wildstar? “You’re Gonna Find Out, Cupcake”

Sweet! Got one!

So this gives me access to the rest of the beta weekends?

Beta keys are only good for a single beta weekend sadly. There's so many of them out there though that if you want to continue playing you should be able to nab another key. Open beta should be in may as well.

Mikey Jr.

Beta keys are only good for a single beta weekend sadly. There's so many of them out there though that if you want to continue playing you should be able to nab another key. Open beta should be in may as well.

Got it.

So I have been watching videos.

Still kinda fuzzy on this game.

Is it an MMO in the traditional sense? Like Wow?

HowZatOZ

Banned
What's the ping like for Aussie Gamers? How playable is the game.
I've been playing previously in the press events, and so far the ping has been playable. Obviously I'd prefer a 20-80ms, but on Telstra Cable I get roughly 200ish ping which is fine to play in. You have to be a bit more aware of your positioning and ensure you read ahead of what enemies will do, but I never felt frustrated about lagging or even felt lag besides the servers being hit hard by DDoS'.

If you want to read an impression of mine, you can check out our preview of the PvE content over here: http://www.ausgamers.com/features/read/3427095

I broke the EULA :'(

HxVvLCx.png

Wookieomg

The chart was created when the game was still in closed beta, so it's a little out of date. If you've participated in any closed beta (any beta before pre-orders opened) then you're able to go above level 20. If you did not participate in closed beta, then you are capped at 20.

So my friends are capped at 20 for the rest of the beta events, all the way till launch? That seems kind of shitty imo. :/ Does this level cap apply to pre-ORDERS or pre-PURCHASES? Because my friends all pre-purchased in full, didn't just pre-order. You'd think that they'd give pre-purchasers full level range in the beta...

So my friends are capped at 20 for the rest of the beta events, all the way till launch? That seems kind of shitty imo. :/ Does this level cap apply to pre-ORDERS or pre-PURCHASES? Because my friends all pre-purchased in full, didn't just pre-order. You'd think that they'd give pre-purchasers full level range in the beta...

Yeah, unless they announce something (it may change in open beta) they'll be locked at level 20. This restriction is in place for both pre-orders and pre-purchases. The level cap applies to everyone who was not a part of the closed beta. They may very well change the level cap once open beta hits, but it's hard to say for now.

Wookieomg

Another question... Is it confirmed or not if these characters will be wiped after the beta is over, or if they'll be able to be transferred once the game releases?

Another question... Is it confirmed or not if these characters will be wiped after the beta is over, or if they'll be able to be transferred once the game releases?

Characters will be wiped before head start. If you want to design your character ahead of time the character creation screen has the ability to get a code or template (i forget exactly how it works) which you can use when the game launches to create your character again. You will get perks for logging in during beta weekends, though. Every day you log in during a beta weekend, or open beta day, you will receive 3 boom boxes which can contain anything from housing items, to mounts, to dyes and more.

Deleted.

Beaten.

So since I was in a beta event back in December, even though I've since preordered, I don't have the 20 cap? Cool.

Wookieomg

Characters will be wiped before head start. If you want to design your character ahead of time the character creation screen has the ability to get a code or template (i forget exactly how it works) which you can use when the game launches to create your character again. You will get perks for logging in during beta weekends, though. Every day you log in during a beta weekend, or open beta day, you will receive 3 boom boxes which can contain anything from housing items, to mounts, to dyes and more.

Yeah, I had read about the boom boxes and logging in to acquire them at launch. Pretty sweet deal! Cool about the character creation thing as well.

Does that mean you can design *just* the looks and save it out to easily reload it at launch? Or does that mean you can reserve a character name as well?

Atsumi

Trying to login to the NCSoft site and enter a code, but it keeps telling me the password is wrong or they're having issues with login. Anyone else able to get into the site? If I send a password reset request I get nothing, and if I try to sign up for a new account, it just tells me there's a problem but doesn't specify.

I'm quite interested in this game.

Yeah, I had read about the boom boxes and logging in to acquire them at launch. Pretty sweet deal! Cool about the character creation thing as well.

Does that mean you can design *just* the looks and save it out to easily reload it at launch? Or does that mean you can reserve a character name as well?
At the moment you can only design the looks. Name reservation will be coming a couple weeks before launch, along with guild name reservation.
So is there a gaf side to choose?

Seems like there are 2 sides. Which side did gaf choose?

At the moment we have a small guild on the Exile side on server Nexus. After launch i imagine there will be a GAF guild.

Trying to login to the NCSoft site and enter a code, but it keeps telling me the password is wrong or they're having issues with login. Anyone else able to get into the site? If I send a password reset request I get nothing, and if I try to sign up for a new account, it just tells me there's a problem but doesn't specify.

I'm quite interested in this game.

I think they may be having server issues? Some people were mentioning it on the forums.

Jarnet87

I didn't really pay attention when picking a server during the last weekend beta, but do the servers say which timezone they are based on?

I just watched the reveal trailer for this game because I wanted to know why people wouldn't shut up about this boring looking sci fi MMO (with it's offensively cheesy OT title). I found it to be pretty lame, especially for an MMO reveal. I did laugh at Space Drake, though.

Then, I watched this video.
Random guy's impressions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twa4hE1I8Hc

The boss fights look unlike anything that I have ever seen in an MMO. This really is what Guild Wars 2 (my current MMO) should have done. Hearing that the mobs are similar to the boss (with the telegraphs) has me even more interested.

Then I watched the warplots flick.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiCi0JWxS1M

Even though I'm not a sci fi guy, I love the humour and the art style, The graphics are amazing (I can't believe the trailer was in engine!). This looks like Team Fortress 2 in space. The humour kind of reminds me of Portal 2. The PvP looks extremely innovative. How is it that, until now, no one has ever thought of letting players capture dungeon bosses to set them loose against each other? I don't really understand how the fortress thing works but I do understand that it is completely awesome.

My only problem with this game is the monthly fee. I really can't see it doing well in the market because of how lame it looks at first glance. People need to give it a chance to know that it isn't just WoW in space. I have a feeling that free to play is in this game's future so I guess I'll wait for that (if my laptop can even run it).

Edit: I just watched the "What is WildStar?" video. . . They need to get this game on PS4, ASAP. I think, with a little help from Sony, people might see how awesome this game looks. How is NCsoft's advertising, usually?

TheYanger

I just watched the reveal trailer for this game because I wanted to know why people wouldn't shut up about this boring looking sci fi MMO (with it's offensively cheesy OT title). I found it to be pretty lame, especially for an MMO reveal. I did laugh at Space Drake, though.

Then, I watched this video.
Random guy's impressions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twa4hE1I8Hc

The boss fights look unlike anything that I have ever seen in an MMO. This really is what Guild Wars 2 (my current MMO) should have done. Hearing that the mobs are similar to the boss (with the telegraphs) has me even more interested.

Then I watched the warplots flick.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiCi0JWxS1M

Even though I'm not a sci fi guy, I love the humour and the art style, The graphics are amazing (I can't believe the trailer was in engine!). This looks like Team Fortress 2 in space. The humour kind of reminds me of Portal 2. The PvP looks extremely innovative. How is it that, until now, no one has ever thought of letting players capture dungeon bosses to set them loose against each other? I don't really understand how the fortress thing works but I do understand that it is completely awesome.

My only problem with this game is the monthly fee. I really can't see it doing well in the market because of how lame it looks at first glance. People need to give it a chance to know that it isn't just WoW in space. I have a feeling that free to play is in this game's future so I guess I'll wait for that (if my laptop can even run it).

It probably needs to be stated plenty that it has an in-game monthly fee currency you can use. IE people can buy CREDD with real money and sell it on the AH for your in game credits. So, if you're willing to do some extra farming or whatever you can play for free.

It probably needs to be stated plenty that it has an in-game monthly fee currency you can use. IE people can buy CREDD with real money and sell it on the AH for your in game credits. So, if you're willing to do some extra farming or whatever you can play for free.

Interesting. I might try that if the farming isn't absurd.

Somnia

I honestly don't think F2P will happen for awhile now with this game. I believe its going to be a slow burner, they have a very hardcore dedicated fanbase right now and I think after launch with regular content updates, streams of raids/pvp and YouTube videos more and more people will learn about it and try it.

Hopefully the price people set are realistic and not gold farm crazy

Edit: I just watched the "What is WildStar?" video. . . They need to get this game on PS4, ASAP. I think, with a little help from Sony, people might see how awesome this game looks. How is NCsoft's advertising, usually?

They're doing pretty heavy marketing for this game. I've seen a couple banner ads on various sites, and they had advertisements all over stuff at pax -- including taxis, newspaper boxes, buses, etc. The game has been in development for something like 6+ years, so NCSoft is putting some heavy support behind it.

Servers go up in an hour. Just a reminder that anyone wanting to join the NeoGAF guild, we're on Nexus server on the Exile side. Throw your name into this thread and i'll toss you an invite.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Did anyone elses client patch something in the vicinity of 15Gb?

Mine's nearly finished downloading, and it's created a 15Gb (approx) size patch folder which I can only assume is temporary and will replace a bunch of stuff in my main folder...

Weird Wildstar antics...

Did anyone elses client patch something in the vicinity of 15Gb?

Mine's nearly finished downloading, and it's created a 15Gb (approx) size patch folder which I can only assume is temporary and will replace a bunch of stuff in my main folder...

Weird Wildstar antics...

Is this your first time downloading Wildstar? If this is new to the most recent patch, i'm not having that issue. My entire folder is ~16 gigs.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Is this your first time downloading Wildstar? If this is new to the most recent patch, i'm not having that issue. My entire folder is ~16 gigs.

I was in the previous Beta, and used the same .exe shortcut as well... it did ask to be directed to the game folder I wish to install in, which I thought was odd (considering I had already downloaded, installed and played it).

Oh well, i'll see what happens in a few minutes when the downloads complete, hopefully it's all good.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Love the housing and the stylistic choices, hate the theme park by-the-numbers MMO part of it, despite the avoid-the-glowy-parts bit :(

I guess I'll wait for 'my' perfect MMO a few more years.

I was in the previous Beta, and used the same .exe shortcut as well... it did ask to be directed to the game folder I wish to install in, which I thought was odd (considering I had already downloaded, installed and played it).

Oh well, i'll see what happens in a few minutes when the downloads complete, hopefully it's all good.

Yeah that's really strange, if things go awry shoot Carbine an email or post on the forums. They're usually great about responding.

Westlo

Well GMG just emailed me a 25% off voucher for this game so I'm in, was probably going to buy this in a week or so anyway.

need pic. imagination can go so far

Quick one from my Medic:
gXp6qr5.jpg

will try to grab a few of the new body types, any particular race you want to see?

Edit: they added new music and sound effects for the Medic. They've made massive progress on the Medic, it feels just as good to play as Esper now. The new housing music is really good.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
The character models are looking good - I didn't get very far into the game last Beta, keen to give it a better run this time round.

I wonder how viable it will be to play this and ESO concurrently... I'll give it the old college try.

FrsDvl

So excited to finally check this out! Will Beta characters move over to the full version? I might pre order it today, if i enjoy the beta.

So excited to finally check this out! Will Beta characters move over to the full version? I might pre order it today, if i enjoy the beta.

Characters will be wiped before head start. On the character creation screen you can get a code for your character's looks if you really like what you create, though.

Anyone wanting a guild invite i'm online on "Seja".

Top Bottom