• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Call of Duty: Ghosts have dedicated servers on the PS4?

Jack_AG

Banned
can I get a link to the post or thread where this was covered in depth
YouTube, Google, etc. We went over it in the BO2 OT.

Lag comp works by penalizing everyone with a better ping than the highest. The lower your ping, the more lag comp you will have, the more likely you are to pump full clips into people only to never actually fire a shot according to the server. Lag Comp is lag comp on P2P or dedicated. Netcode is the most important factor THEN dedicated v P2P.

Tethering my PS3 to my phone and switching off 4&3G was a blast in BO2.

mbmonk

Lag comp works by penalizing everyone with a better ping than the highest. The lower your ping, the more lag comp you will have, the more likely you are to pump full clips into people only to never actually fire a shot according to the server. Lag Comp is lag comp on P2P or dedicated. Netcode is the most important factor THEN dedicated v P2P.

Thank you.

I want to make myself clear that, in general, I agree with you about the importance of the net code. I do not enjoy BF3 on PC because I am consistently dieing behind corners and cover because of the games net code. Of course BF3 runs on dedicated servers.

That being said I think having dedicated servers could be a big deal for Ghost because the net code could be adjusted due strictly to the fact that the game will only be running on dedicated servers for internet play.

DISCLAIMER: I know just enough to be dangerous. I might be and probably will be incorrect about everything that follows this sentence. =P

I am going to use your definition for Lag Comp ( as stated in your above post ) and I would like to define one term as well. "Listen Server" - This is where the machine is the host/server and someone is playing on that machine at the same time.

Listen servers for LAN play is ideal. The fact that the player who is the listening server has a 0 ping in game doesn't matter too much because everyone else on the LAN has a ping of 10 or less. So nobody is at a severe disadvantage.

The problem becomes when you use listen servers for internet play. Now you have one player who has 0 ping and other players that have a ping ranging anywhere from 50 - 200. So now the player on the listen server has a significant advantage. So the devs attempted to offset that advantage by adding Lag Comp into the net code.

I believe with the move to dedicated server, now Lag Comp can be removed or toned down significantly. As the developer, with dedicated servers, they now know that they are going to have machines that have enough horsepower to run their servers, and those servers are going to be on high quality, high bandwidth connections that can handle all the traffic for players in a timely manner and be consistent and stable. If a player is having an issue connecting or having lag issues, it almost always going to be a problem on that players end and not on the dedicated servers end. Also nobody is playing on the server so they actually have a ping in the 30s - 50s at best and thus there isn't a significant advantage ( assuming match making is functioning correctly and there dedicated server near the players location ) like I mentioned above with Listen servers on internet play.

So I just wanted to put that out there that going to dedicated server might have a positive effect on the netcode as well as just the increase in stability, consistency of gameplay and removing host migration from Ghost.

I apologize if I am horribly incorrect, this post is hard to read, or if I am unclear in my writing.

Thanks.

Portugeezer

Essentially, the game brings you on to par with the worst ping?

Krakn3Dfx

Fans and the press have been asking daily and are being ignored. This is the closest we've gotten: https://twitter.com/ATVIAssist/status/375443598382485504

This has got to be Activision in contract with Microsoft to not discuss dedicated servers for a set time. Otherwise I imagine they'd be telling fans to go bother Sony so they weren't taking all the heat.

Yeah, they wouldn't say "Stay tuned to this link for official announcements about other platform dedicated servers," if they weren't going to announce dedicated servers for other platforms. They would say something like "Exclusive to Xbox!"

I don't even play CoD, but this seems super obvious when it comes to pre-launch marketing shenanigans how this is playing out.

Redshirt

Banned
Dedicated servers are a big deal for competitive multiplayer, which is why I tend to believe Sony will come through in the end on this and probably already has.

As I see it, PS4 has an uphill batter with games like CoD and not to provide a comparable solution would be conceding defeat.

I'm not sure how some people see this as not Sony's burden. It's a matter of competition.

I bet Sony have to match the offer MS have made otherwise Activision cannot support them. In other words no halfway house (mixture of Dedis & P2P) and same rates as MS.

satam55

Banned
So it's confirmed that Killzone Shadow Fall will not have true dedicated servers. That doesn't bode too well for CoD Ghosts and BF4.

snoop.png
Sony doesn't provide the servers for 3rd-party games. Sony is only responsible for the servers for PSN and their own 1st & 2nd party games. Infinity Ward/Activison rents the servers & infrastructure for "CoD: Ghosts". EA owns their own servers and Dice/EA have already have announced dedicated servers for all platforms.

He doesn't know what he's talking about. He doesn't even know that Developers/publishers rent the servers & infrastructure for their own games.

The fact that Sony can't provide dedicated servers for their own first party title means they probably won't provide it for Ghosts. When have EA ever gone out of their way to provide dedicated servers on a console?

satam55

Banned
The fact that Sony can't provide dedicated servers for their own first party title means they probably won't provide it for Ghosts. When have EA ever gone out of their way to provide dedicated servers on a console?

"CoD: Ghosts" is Infinity Ward/Activision's game, NOT Sony's. That means Infinity Ward/Activision's provide the servers for "CoD: Ghosts", not the platform holder.

"CoD: Ghosts" is Infinity Ward/Activision's game, NOT Sony's. That means Infinity Ward/Activision's provide the servers for "CoD: Ghosts", not the platform holder.

You ignored the latter part of my post. EA is obviously not bothered to provide the server solution themselves. They're looking to the console manufacturers for that purpose.

satam55

Banned
You ignored the latter part of my post. EA is obviously not bothered to provide the server solution themselves. They're looking to the console manufacturers for that purpose.

Yes they do. EA rents the servers & infrastructure for their own games, just like every other developer/publisher .

Yes they do. EA rents the servers & infrastructure for their own games, just like every other developer/publisher .

Honest question: Has EA ever provided dedicated servers for a game on the PS3?

Wow. Now your spreading this horseshit to other threads because you don't understand how KZ works.

It's quite obvious that you don't know what true dedicated servers are. Do a google search.

Steroyd

I'm pretty sure EA were at odds with MS on the original Xbox BECAUSE MS wouldn't le them use their own servers.

Edit: Was posting on Mobile.

There are a few exceptions to exclusive content hosting on Xbox Live. Long-time gaming industry leader Electronic Arts (EA) originally wouldn't produce Live Enabled games for Xbox because Microsoft wouldn't allow them to use their own servers. In 2004, Microsoft struck a deal with EA, and now EA produces Live

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/xbox-live3.htm

satam55

Banned

I don't know. They definitely don't provide dedicated servers for their sports games on any platform. And they use the same type of servers for every platform. But, BF4 will definitely have dedicated servers for PS4, XB1 & PC. I'm not sure about PS3 & Xbox360.

test_account

XP-39C²
Yep, EA has several of dedicated servers up and running for Battlefield 3.

Yep, EA has several of dedicated servers up and running for Battlefield 3.

Have you ever played BF3?

lol Are you referring to 'rent-a-server'? $30 for 30 days? Those same servers which ended up disappearing shortly after their release? I'm pretty sure that's not the solution anyone is looking for.

But hey, if you don't mind paying for dedicated servers on the PS4, by all means. Encourage EA to continue that system for nextgen.

lol Are you referring to 'rent-a-server'? $30 for 30 days? Those same servers which ended up disappearing shortly after their release? I'm pretty sure that's not the solution anyone is looking for.

But hey, if you don't mind paying for dedicated servers on the PS4, by all means. Encourage EA to continue that system for nextgen.

See all the ones that say [DICE] in that picture? They're the ones EA/DICE provide for free.

test_account

XP-39C²

No, i'm prety sure that EA hosts their own servers as well. The servers in the pictures above here are labeled with "DICE". But rented or not though, how do you know that they disappear shortly after release? There are millions of people playing Battlefield 3, i think there will always be some dedicated servers available.

See all the ones that say [DICE] in that picture? They're the ones EA/DICE provide for free.

No, i'm prety sure that EA hosts their own servers as well. The servers in the pictures above here are labeled with "DICE". But rented or not though, how do you know that they disappear shortly after release? There are millions of people playing Battlefield 3, i think there will always be some dedicated servers available.

The release of the rent-a-server patch was followed by a drastic fall of free dedicated servers. I thought that was common knowledge.

No i am talking about hundreds or thousands of official servers that EA provided for free from the day the game realeased till today.

Rent a server program began 6-7 months after the game released just because people wanted to take control of the server settings and you have to pay for them just because they are dedicated servers, they aren't running in someone's ps3..... so yes EA has provided dedicated servers

regarding 'servers disappearing',there were tons of custom servers so EA decided to remove some of the official ones, people complained, EA brought them back.

test_account

XP-39C²
The release of the rent-a-server patch was followed by a drastic fall of free dedicated servers. I thought that was common knowledge.
I wouldnt say that it is common knowledge. People who havnt followed the game is unlikely to know it. Also, you werent aware that Battlefield 3 on consoles had dedicated servers :p =) So its not something that "everyone" will know. But how much did it drop after that patch? I'd check myself, but i dont want to download a ~1GB patch right now (i deleted Battlefield 3 since i dont play it anymore and i needed harddrive space for other games).

satam55

Banned
So infinity ward is the one doing the dedicate servers on xbox one and not MS?

Yes, Infinity Ward/Activision are renting the servers & infrastructure from Microsoft's "Windows Azure" cloud service. Xbox & Windows Azure are 2 completely seprate different divisions of Microsoft. Microsoft is not providing servers for free like some people foolishly believe

geordiemp

There used to be allot of threads on COD forums complaining about lag compensation - usually headlined Lag ops. Everyone knows about it,

As a COD player I 'read' it adds 200 ms to every player except the host, so when you come round a corner you can see enemy and shoot but they don't see you for 1/5 second. So its really hard playing as host unless you snipe or use long range. It always favours the aggressor.

Best way to fool the matchmaking and lag comp algorithms is to stream Netflix on another device when game is 'preparing to start'. You are guaranteed to not be host and get favourable lag comp applied to you.

Switch off Netflix a few seconds into game and its god mode.

Note : I only do this when I get tired of being host every game having 75 mb optical broadband.

Dedi servers are a necessity and p2p can be so easily abused whatever the algorithm is used in match making

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Yes!!! "CoD: Ghosts" is going to use "Windows Azure" for all platforms.

While I don't know about that they are indeed using their network, Activision still rent them as far as we know, just from Microsoft for a cheaper price for the Xbox side, and MS has a part of their Azure network that is just for the Xbox platform now. The rest of Azue however can be rented just the same and used for other consoles.

And to mention the whole servers being turned off like in Bf3, the same can and will happen to CoD, Activision still has to pay MS to use them, at some point they will stop.

FeiRR

Banned
But still dedicated servers. And if I remember right is something DICE worked to correct (i.e provide more DICE servers again)

Free DICE servers are still up and running. The truth is, they're not very popular because they offer vanilla settings. Most people who still play BF3 (apart from PS+ subscribers who really invaded the game in the last months) are in clans and clans prefer to have their own servers for various reasons.

Skeff

Free DICE servers are still up and running. The truth is, they're not very popular because they offer vanilla settings. Most people who still play BF3 (apart from PS+ subscribers who really invaded the game in the last months) are in clans and clans prefer to have their own servers for various reasons.

Unfortunately, your post despite being absolutely correct and to be honest a great post, will be ignored because he's currently on a "XBOX HAZ CLOUD!!!" rampage and is suffering from a real lack of reading comprehension due to his currently desperate nature to "win the console war" Good post though, also apologies for invading BF3, the game was free on PS+ I couldn't help myself :)

kitch9

Banned
I was under the impression that this was happening because of the cloud servers? Maybe cloud is the wrong term here, but didn't Microsoft announce that they were providing dedicated Live servers to every developer for the One? (If my memory serves me, I think the number was 300,000 dedicated servers to start?)

That's why my thinking was that it was probably (unfortunately) not happening for the PS4 version...

Edit:

This is what I was thinking (Source)

Sony has been offering dedicated servers since before they were a twitch in MS's pants. They just never got round to attributing buzzwords to them in order to pretend that they are something new.

99% of the games played out there offer the option to ' Host ' a game or ' Join ' a game.

Then when you want to ' Join ' a game, you can look at the list. You can then sort that list by ' Ping ' or ' Latency '. If the lowest latency server is a player ' Hosting ', basically using their home connection to provide the bandwidth for that specific game, what is the difference? As long as the experience is as lag free as possible, that is what dedicated servers are all about anyway, reducing the lag ...

Of course, the main annoyance is the ' Host ' player leaving the game, or turning off his system, and thus ending the server, but meh ... it takes about 3 seconds to go and sort by latency and find another server.

But this is CoD we are talking about here. Activision has their own dedicated servers also. For example playing on PC, you can clearly see which servers are player based, and which ones are sitting at Activision and acting as a dedicated server. They have had dedicated servers since Doom lol. Back when players would literally buy the fastest connection available, buy a computer and use that computer for nothing but hosting games 24/7.

So it's confirmed that Killzone Shadow Fall will not have true dedicated servers. That doesn't bode too well for CoD Ghosts and BF4.

Still spreading FUD, nice. Why wouldn't BF4 have dedicated servers? BF3 had them. And I would be very surprised if CoD is any different. Some people here really seem to get desperate on the search for an advantage for the Xbox One.

Gemüsepizza;83939101 said:
Still spreading FUD, nice. Why wouldn't BF4 have dedicated servers? BF3 had them. And I would be very surprised if CoD is any different. Some people here really seem to get desperate on the search for an advantage for the Xbox One.

You appear to be clueless.

Grimløck;83937333 said:
Deja vu. Didn't this guy same the same shit in another thread?

Wow. Now your spreading this horseshit to other threads because you don't understand how KZ works.

He doesn't know what he's talking about. He doesn't even know that Developers/publishers rent the servers & infrastructure for their own games.

So hey guys. I just wanted to say I accept your apology :)

Moving on, I do think the KZ revelation should be a strong indication of which way Ghosts will go.

So you thought it was "common knowledge" that there were free dedicated servers in BF3 (whose number decreased), yet you asked if EA had ever provided dedicated servers.

That wasn't an "honest question" at all. It was an intentional lie, meant to provoke misunderstanding.

So you thought it was "common knowledge" that there were free dedicated servers in BF3 (whose number decreased), yet you asked if EA had ever provided dedicated servers.

That wasn't an "honest question" at all. It was an intentional lie, meant to provoke misunderstanding.

I was asking about the PS3. I already knew the state of the 360.

I accept your apology as well. Now can we stop pointing fingers at each other?

FeiRR

Banned
So hey guys. I just wanted to say I accept your apology :)

I stand where I was: you're wrong. Read the OP, ask somebody to explain it to you in plain English or whatever you need. For me, the definition of the word "dedicated" is very simple and I even quoted it in the other thread. Killzone: Shadow Fall has dedicated servers, they are dedicated to routing the game data to all players. There is dedicated software written by GG running on them to do that. All the other technical details do not change that simple statement. I have nothing to apologize for.

Top Bottom