• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Club Nintendo Platinum "Early Access" become a thing?

JMDSO

Unconfirmed Member
I sure as hell hope not. Locking demos behind what amounts to a paywall has never sat well with me. I hate the idea of denying some customers the opportunity to preview a product.
This demo really isn't locked behind a paywall since everyone will get it next week. It's more like you get a better version of the demo if you're Platinum..

fahr

Slightly off topic, but I spoke to tech support today (great experience, actually) and they told me that nearly half of the platinum members failed to get their codes due to botched software on their part. They promised to send me the codes but due to the weekend I shouldn't expect them until Monday or Tuesday. Hope restored! Until Tuesday, anyway.

I think it's a great idea and I hope that it does become a regular occurance. It's further incentive to continue buying Nintendo products and it's a cool reward for those consumers who do buy regularly.

Nanashrew

Banned
Slightly off topic, but I spoke to tech support today (great experience, actually) and they told me that nearly half of the platinum members failed to get their codes due to botched software on their part. They promised to send me the codes but due to the weekend I shouldn't expect them until Monday or Tuesday. Hope restored! Until Tuesday, anyway.

That's good! I hope I can get mine soon. I have my reference number just in case though.

Grizzo

I think every member of Club Nintendo in Europe got the email. There's no platinum status here (or at least not that I know of).

And I think it should be that way for the whole wide world.

I'm sure the people who hit Platinum are all for it lol

I think having Platinum status should be a year long sort of reward thing. Early demo (and codes) like a week early is just fine. Opening it up more to include special offers for games, reduced prices for software and products, etc could also be tied into this. I thought I saw something about Nintendo wanting to reward loyal customers too.

Thoraxes

"We’re sending this demo to Club Nintendo members like you who achieved Platinum Status between 7/1/2013 and 6/30/2014, registered any Nintendo 3DS product, and chose to receive information from Nintendo at Club Nintendo."

I was fine with these requirements. I'd like to see more.

Impotaku

I don't understand why NOE & NOA feel the need to restrict the demo, in Japan you just connect to the e-shop & download the demo no stupid codes. I don't see why everyone else has to jump through special hoops just to try a demo, it's madness.

Totakeke

It's artificial scarcity. Don't really care for it even I'm pretty much a guaranteed platinum member every year. Give us actual cool physical rewards for once.

I don't understand why NOE & NOA feel the need to restrict the demo, in Japan you just connect to the e-shop & download the demo no stupid codes. I don't see why everyone else has to jump through special hoops just to try a demo, it's madness.

Pretty sure the demo is coming out for everyone next week. Reason why people paying for these codes makes it even more silly.

At least that's what I heard I could be wrong though.

jmizzal

people whine about crappy club nintendo exclusive stuff, then Platinum gets early access demos and people whine about that lol

But yea I hope so

DeVeAn

Weren't the Smash codes sent out to all platinum members that had emails turned on? Can't say I'm sympathetic to whose who didn't.

So. because I didn't want outdated info, I should miss out on something I wanted? There is a bunch of money behind Platinum status you know.

Impotaku

My 3DS is Japanese so i can just pop on at any point & download the demo, i'm not whining because im butthurt about been denied it. I just think it sucks that everyone else doesn't get the option right from the start, instead they are made to jump through hoops getting plat status like it's some major treat to get a demo.

jmizzal

So. because I didn't want outdated info, I should miss out on something I wanted? There is a bunch of money behind Platinum status you know.

The reason for it being for those with emails turned on was if they put the codes on the Club Nintendo site nobody would have been able to get a code, the site went down because it was getting hammered

They send the codes out in emails, which made things fast a simple, if you opt out of emails its against the law for a company to send you emails.

vazel

Banned
I had no idea Iwata was talking about flexible price points. Hopefully after DDP ends loyal customers will continue to get 10% off.

watershed

Banned
Wasn't there some kind of special Tomodachi Life demo as well? How did that one work? Was it to club nintendo members first?

Nanashrew

Banned
Pretty sure the demo is coming out for everyone next week. Reason why people paying for these codes makes it even more silly.

At least that's what I heard I could be wrong though.

Yeah, people were trying to buy codes, do commission work, it was crazy. Nintendo has formed a new form of currency with this because this also exists with shiny Pokemon showing up on places like eBay.

I fully expect more "get a digital code and 3 for friends" stuff to happen from Nintendo in the future, considering this is the second time they've had people give out codes to friends.

The first was Tomodachi Life, and not in all regions, but Smash Bros represents a much larger test to see how effectively this marketing works and I think it's probably been very successful.

Rocky

Banned
The reason for it being for those with emails turned on was if they put the codes on the Club Nintendo site nobody would have been able to get a code, the site went down because it was getting hammered

They send the codes out in emails, which made things fast a simple, if you opt out of emails its against the law for a company to send you emails.

It's not about putting the codes on the CN site. I've been a CN member since it started, Platinum every year since they started the status. I had no idea there even was a checkbox to opt in or out of emails.

I didn't have to opt in to anything with PSN, and I get special stuff from that all the time. So the opt in thing is kinda BS on Nintendo's part.

It's not about putting the codes on the CN site. I've been a CN member since it started, Platinum every year since they started the status. I had no idea there even was a checkbox to opt in or out of emails.

I didn't have to opt in to anything with PSN, and I get special stuff from that all the time. So the opt in thing is kinda BS on Nintendo's part.

When you register for almost anything theres always a check box for emails, even on PSN. Some are automatically checked others arent. Its your fault for not reading.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I hate how you gotta opt in for emails, I don't want promotional crap, but I will take a cool demo code (which somehow falls in that category).

Rocky

Banned
When you register for almost anything theres always a check box for emails, even on PSN. Some are automatically checked others arent. Its your fault for not reading.

Screw you man. I've been registered since the 80s before it was online and there were no checkboxes. I still have my old CN newsletters and stuff they sent me.

EDIT: I just checked my PSN account and the notifications are unchecked on that account as well, yet I still get codes for things like the Destiny Alpha.

balohna

Japan got a demo like 2 days before the game came out. NA is getting a demo available to everyone more than a week before the game launches. Platinum members just got it a week early.

I'm fine with platinum perks, a lot of money goes into that so they really are rewarding loyal customers. It's not like you have to buy a bunch of Nintendo stuff and also pay a fee or something.

So I've been platinum for 4 years now, and can say I was a bit disappointed about the email thing(had opted out at some point, but that's fixed now).
Still managed to get a code from the begging thread (thanks again academic saucer!) But I think it would have been better for Nintendo to give some kind of heads up things like that would require opt in.

Otherwise I think early (but not necessarily exclusive) access to certain things would be an excellent addition to platinum status.

Top Bottom