• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Koji Igarashi's Castlevania successor be revealed this Monday?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dremark

Banned
it's alwats next monday.

this is the lamest viral marketing campaign ever, some bad bitmap graphics and clumsy text bits. I'll be interested when actual stuff will show up.

Eh, I got a kick out of it and it's raising awareness. I want this project to go well and if it means we have to wait a bit longer for the details it's a trade off I'll gladly make.

I am looking forward to seeing what they have in store though, don't get me wrong. It was pretty obvious when they rebooted CV it was dead so I've been waiting 5 years for something like this.

Nibel

iFTCTxN.png

SteveWD40

I am praying for something akin to Aria of Sorrow on the 3DS.

Still holding out hope the NN3DS can run GBA VC and they will announce it at E3, I need my metroidvania fix...

Dr. Buni

I am praying for something akin to Aria of Sorrow on the 3DS.

Still holding out hope the NN3DS can run GBA VC and they will announce it at E3, I need my metroidvania fix...
Aria of Sorrow is great, but being akin to Order of Ecclesia would be a lot better.

And I am not sure why GBA VC should be exclusive to "NN3DS". If a DS can emulate GBA games, so can the regular 3DS.

Jaeger

I would prefer single screen CV. Aria is excellent but I want a larger image to work with, with larger sprites. SotN spiritual successor is what my heart desires.

Raide

Give me some weird anti co-op game where one players tries to attack Dracula's castle and another player starts in the Dracula room and works his way towards the other player as Dracula's minion, setting up traps and sending lesser missions to get in the way.

OnPoint

it's alwats next monday.

this is the lamest viral marketing campaign ever, some bad bitmap graphics and clumsy text bits. I'll be interested when actual stuff will show up.

We knew or educated guessed pretty early on, even before this site launched, that there was going to be a tease before the Kickstarter. This is no surprise.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Aria of Sorrow is great, but being akin to Order of Ecclesia would be a lot better.

And I am not sure why GBA VC should be exclusive to "NN3DS". If a DS can emulate GBA games, so can the regular 3DS.
Doesn't emulate it. It runs on actual GBA hardware in the 3DS that's needed to run DS games

Jaeger

Give me some weird anti co-op game where one players tries to attack Dracula's castle and another player starts in the Dracula room and works his way towards the other player as Dracula's minion, setting up traps and sending lesser missions to get in the way.

Wow. That is brilliant. However it would have to be a speciliazed version of the single player map due to the sheer size and time it would take to meet each other. But the concept is sound.

Place randomized items and weapons around the map, creating a sense of speed and urgency and you have something here.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
"It is impossible to tell who will prevail. etc."
I know it's not new.

Really? I think it's pretty obvious at this point...

soqquatto

We knew or educated guessed pretty early on, even before this site launched, that there was going to be a tease before the Kickstarter. This is no surprise.

yes, and the graphics are still bad and the text bits are still clumsy. I don't have to be grateful for bad materials just because "at least it's something". I'm really a first-hour castlevania fan, I've played the first one on an MSX 2 cart first and on NES second, I haven't played them all since then but I managed a high percentage. I'm really glad that a new quasi-castlevania from IGA will come out, I'm just miffed at this mediocre pre-kickstarter campaign.

OnPoint

yes, and the graphics are still bad and the text bits are still clumsy. I don't have to be grateful for bad materials just because "at least it's something". I'm really a first-hour castlevania fan, I've played the first one on an MSX 2 cart first and on NES second, I haven't played them all since then but I managed a high percentage. I'm really glad that a new quasi-castlevania from IGA will come out, I'm just miffed at this mediocre pre-kickstarter campaign.

I'm not defending the campaign or attacking you based on that. Calm down.

My reply was based solely on your "It's always next monday" line.

That said, I'm not holding my expectations of what this game will be like in any way to what the graphics or text for this teaser site are, but I can see why they'd fail to excite you. It's certainly stretching on a little longer than it needs to. Hopefully we have a better picture on Monday.

Or you could just take it for what it is:
A quickly put together teaser from a now independent Japanese developer, hence the awkward sounding text - it sounds very much like it's written by someone who doesn't speak English as their first language - and that the sprite of the teaser site is in no way indicative of the final product, and is just supposed to be a silly reference to what the game is going to be about.

If you don't care about the teaser, that's fine. I find it a cute and funny idea, the wait is not that long - especially since the site gets updated every day to add new little teases - and I sincerely doubt that if the game will be 2D sprites, IGA will be satisfied with low standards like he'd be for a silly teaser site.

Raide

Wow. That is brilliant. However it would have to be a speciliazed version of the single player map due to the sheer size and time it would take to meet each other. But the concept is sound.

Place randomized items and weapons around the map, creating a sense of speed and urgency and you have something here.

Yeah a scaled down map could work, or make it normal sized and just do 4 v 1. Each player represents an area boss who controls his minions/traps etc. Maybe as a MP mode they could do something like that.

Ainaurdur

New Quotes!

"???:I admit I am impressed by your skill. Careful you don’t back-dash right into my trap."
"Be greedy with the moonlight now. It could be some time before you drink of it again."

Kirie

???: Be greedy with the moonlight now. It could be some time before you drink of it again.

???: Ironic, isn’t it, that I can only destroy you with your help?

???: The weapon which most inspires dread will prevail.(Dunno if this one is new)

TreIII

????: Ironic, isn’t it, that I can only destroy you with your help?

If that's at all a sign that the game won't pull any punches with being a tough, but fair challenge? I'll be all for it.

Also:

"How can you protect the ones you love when the thing that threatens them is inside you?"

graywords

Swords are being "crushed" and "dominated" by whips right now. :(

I started off a whip person, but quickly changed to sword after realizing that more SotN is what I truly want. Hopefully whips winning does not necessarily preclude that. (SotN and most of its successors had at least one playable whip character, regardless of the main game's play style.)

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

I started off a whip person, but quickly changed to sword after realizing that more SotN is what I truly want. Hopefully whips winning does not necessarily preclude that. (SotN and most of its successors had at least one playable whip character, regardless of the main game's play style.)
Same. I love the Belmonts and their whips, but Soma and Alucard style gameplay is where it's at.

Kirie

I know there's some people not enjoying this "teaser" prelude, but I have to say some of these quotes are getting me pretty hyped up for what's coming lol

Same here. I prefer the games with the swords as well.

I didn't take the chance to note it down, but there was a message that seemed to specifically address a character rather than the viewer (referring to them as "she"). So... could be talking about one of the protagonists? I'll try to take better care to copy it if I see it again.

also all this has almost got me wanting gruntilda-style smack talk from iga as you play through the game, lol

I didn't take the chance to note it down, but there was a message that seemed to specifically address a character rather than the viewer (referring to them as "she"). So... could be talking about one of the protagonists? I'll try to take better care to copy it if I see it again.

also all this has almost got me wanting gruntilda-style smack talk from iga as you play through the game, lol

Now this one I need to see.

georly

Will the smack-talk rhyme?

I still believe both weapons will end up in the game anyway. I mean, the teaser mentions that in one of the quotes even, saying something like "There'll be more weapons when I trust you enough." or somesuch.
I imagine that whoever wins on the teaser site might be the main character, the other one the secondary character and/or the (first) stretch goal character.

"She runs from herself. What does she run toward?"

GaejKKg.png

I just got that one.

"She runs from herself. What does she run toward?"

EDIT: Oh, beaten.

Ganondorfo

A stupid question: is there a trailer for this game, because this one is a massive thread like the Yooka Laylee thread, so I expect there are screenshots and a trailer for this game.

Kirie

A stupid question: is there a trailer for this game, because this one is a massive thread like the Yooka Laylee thread, so I expect there are screenshots and a trailer for this game.

There won't be until most likely Monday, when the KS is rumored to start :)

Welp, time to rewatch the Order of Ecclesia opening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRAQ-ZzOE4M

So good ;_; Need to replay this again after my SoTN replay I'm currently working on.

Foffy

Banned

No trailer yet, just teases. Lots and lots of teases, which is what made this thread as big as it is.

I figure a full reveal would warrant another thread. Perhaps this Monday. :p

So... we know for sure that this is not a Castlevania game, right? By that I just mean that it won't be called Castlevania since the IP belongs to... *sigh* Konami...

BY2K

Membero Americo
So... we know for sure that this is not a Castlevania game, right? By that I just mean that it won't be called Castlevania since the IP belongs to... *sigh* Konami...

The one thing I'm scared of is that if it does turn out to be a Castlevania/IGAvania in everything but name (say, about as much as Mighty No.9 is a Mega Man game), that Konami would be scummy enough to try and take it down.

Yeh he left konami a while back. There have been a bunch of nods at that very fact in some of the quotes.

TreIII

The one thing I'm scared of is that if it does turn out to be a Castlevania/IGAvania in everything but name (say, about as much as Mighty No.9 is a Mega Man game), that Konami would be scummy enough to try and take it down.

What could they really do, though?

Even assuming IGA tries to make a game that was truly that close to his CV games as possible...it's not as if they can lay sole copyright to the "Metroidvania" style of game. Or a whip as a weapon. And Dracula, the denizens of Ars Goetia and other famous creepy-crawlies that go bump in the night have been public domain for ages, now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom