• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Microsoft end up buying Crystal Dynamics and Edios after Activision deal?

Will Microsoft buy Crystal Dynamics and Edios studios once Activision is sorted?

• Yep, no doubt Microsoft worked with Embracer Group on this one.

Votes: 52 41.6%
  • No. This fits with Embracer Groups strategy of buying every studio they can.

Votes: 73 58.4%

• Total voters
With the revelations that both Crystal Dynamics and Edios are co developers of Xbox games, and CD was always seen as a Microsoft acquisition anyway, do you think that once the Activision deal is finished Microsoft will then buy both these studios and their IP off Embracer Group?

Alot of people have surmised that while the AKB deal was going through Microsoft couldn't be seen to be buying even more studios, and from what others have reported, the buisness unit that oversees acquisitions at Microsoft is so flat out with the AKB one that they don't have the man power to work on anything else at this point.

However on the flipside, these studios are exactly what Embracer Group is in to, and those IPs alone are worth more than the price they played.

feynoob

Yes. Considering MS wants those 2 studios. I wouldnt be surpised if they announced them soon, after activision purchase.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Maybe Square couldn't sell them to MS and make their partners unhappy. Hence MS made a deal with Square and Embracer, Square will sell them to Embracer, and few years down the line MS will buy them from Embracer.
Also, IOI is supposedly working on a new project with MS, and MS could eventually buy them too.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Im more interest on the rumored Sony big acquisition few month ago by Greg, what happen to this rumor!!!??

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Hope not. That money can be used on a studio like Asobo.
MVmaiuV.gif

//DEVIL//

They had the chance to get them for a penny and they didn't. 200 Million was nothing for such a team. Yet they did not unless Sony had a say with Square Enix not to sell to MS ? I mean business wise that doesn't make any logic, but Sony is a snake so who knows?

hinch7

What's with all these people daydreaming about all the shit Microsoft can buy. They need to improve the output of their existing developers before buying more trash.
Yeah, its super wierd that select people actively want their first party publisher of choice to buy out third parties. I guess its just fandom being fandoms..

Not that I agree that CD are trash. really enjoyed GoTG. The new Tomb Raider trilogy, not so much..

I think they will get them. Would be interesting if they go after the whole embracer group.

That would honestly be disgusting. They can barely manage the studios they currently have in terms of consistent high-quality content, let alone improving their output beyond previous accomplishments. They'll most likely get the ABK studios soon...how much more can a glutton eat before their stomach bursts like that disgusting fat guy from that Yoshi's Island SNES commercial?

Honestly after ABK, MS should be more than fine on gaming acquisitions outside of a couple smaller dev teams, for the next 5 or so years. Anything else between that time that's a big gaming publisher or similar will hopefully get called out for what it really is: intentional anti-competitive, deprivation of content from platform rivals.

Because you only need but so much to compete and in terms of raw resources (1P teams, tech, money), MS already has enough IMHO. At least let them produce some meaningful results before entertaining the idea they should buy up a crapton of more teams.

Last edited:
What's with all these people daydreaming about all the shit Microsoft can buy. They need to improve the output of their existing developers before buying more trash.
That is exactly what Microsoft has done with their studios.
Unread labs have gone from an indie studio to a AAA studio for State of Decay 3. They have opened a second studio in Florida and have doubled the size of their employees since their acquisition. The step up from SOD1&2 to the new Unreal Engine 5 SOD3 is going to be massive.
Playground Games has released the best open world racing game just last year and has opened up a whole new team for Fable, which doubled the size of their studio prior to acquisition.
Ninja Theory just like Undead has doubled the size of their studio and are going from a nice Indie studio to a AAA studio.
Infact every single studio has had more employees and has been invested in big time by Microsoft.
Prior to Microsoft buying Bethesda they would most likely have released Starfield already which would have been buggy and relied on 2 years worth if patches to finally get to an acceptable level. Microsoft's investment means they can take the extra time to make sure the games is as good as can be when it's released.
Microsoft is in this for the long haul. You would have to be pretty daft not to know that the games will get released. From next year on there will be so many games coming that people will complain there's too many.
Infact I was listening to a podcast the other day and they were saying that Microsoft should hold back Avowed to 2024 because you don't want to release two big RPGs too close together or they both won't have enough light shined on them.
Even without AKB, Microsoft has 23 studios with around 30 teams combined.
If they release on game every 5 years then that's 6 first party games a year. On top of that you have Xbox Global Publishing which is employing third party studios to make exclusive games for them. We have seen this with Contraband and Avalanche Studios, Project Dragon with IO Interactive etc.
Add this plus the games from AKB and its going to be ridiculous.

While it's taken a bit for things to get rolling, I would prefer that when the games come they will be bigger in scope and higher in quality.

Ozriel

M$FT
That would honestly be disgusting. They can barely manage the studios they currently have in terms of consistent high-quality content, let alone improving their output beyond previous accomplishments. They'll most likely get the ABK studios soon...how much more can a glutton eat before their stomach bursts like that disgusting fat guy from that Yoshi's Island SNES commercial?

Honestly after ABK, MS should be more than fine on gaming acquisitions outside of a couple smaller dev teams, for the next 5 or so years. Anything else between that time that's a big gaming publisher or similar will hopefully get called out for what it really is: intentional anti-competitive, deprivation of content from platform rivals.

Because you only need but so much to compete and in terms of raw resources (1P teams, tech, money), MS already has enough IMHO. At least let them produce some meaningful results before entertaining the idea they should buy up a crapton of more teams.

Just going to point out to you that MS acquisition strategy seems more geared towards Gamepass content + mobile entry than hitting any arbitrary quality milestones set by folks on gaming forums.

They’re certainly not interested in buying Embracer. Nobody’s going to add 13000 employees.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Unread labs have gone from an indie studio to a AAA studio for State of Decay 3. They have opened a second studio in Florida and have doubled the size of their employees since their acquisition. The step up from SOD1&2 to the new Unreal Engine 5 SOD3 is going to be massive.
Playground Games has released the best open world racing game just last year and has opened up a whole new team for Fable, which doubled the size of their studio prior to acquisition.
Ninja Theory just like Undead has doubled the size of their studio and are going from a nice Indie studio to a AAA studio.
Infact every single studio has had more employees and has been invested in big time by Microsoft.
Prior to Microsoft buying Bethesda they would most likely have released Starfield already which would have been buggy and relied on 2 years worth if patches to finally get to an acceptable level. Microsoft's investment means they can take the extra time to make sure the games is as good as can be when it's released.
Microsoft is in this for the long haul. You would have to be pretty daft not to know that the games will get released. From next year on there will be so many games coming that people will complain there's too many.
Infact I was listening to a podcast the other day and they were saying that Microsoft should hold back Avowed to 2024 because you don't want to release two big RPGs too close together or they both won't have enough light shined on them.
If they release on game every 5 years then that's 6 first party games a year. On top of that you have Xbox Global Publishing which is employing third party studios to make exclusive games for them. We have seen this with Contraband and Avalanche Studios, Project Dragon with IO Interactive etc.

While it's taken a bit for things to get rolling, I would prefer that when the games come they will be bigger in scope and higher in quality.

What's the K for?

ungalo

Embracer didn't show any sign they want to reconsider their strategy. I don't see why they would sell studios so quickly.

But despite all my concerns about Microsoft i think cd and Eidos would be better with them. I feel Embracer is never going to mature enough to finance big projects.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Doubt it, as CMA would probably see it as unfair competition given there's been more games on playstation than pc/xbox.

Godot25

Banned
I don't think there is a need for that
If Embracer is willing to "lend" their development houses in future for Microsoft, why would Microsoft go to grab entire studio? They still have the talent from those studios at their disposal without making huge financial commitment.

The only reason would be to also grab Deus Ex/Tomb Raider etc. and make them exclusives.

I think that after ABK they should pause with those huge acquisitions and make smart and smaller buys. Like Avalanche or IO Interactive.

Last edited:

lordrand11

Personally I hope they listen to the masses (small) and buy the company that has rights to The Simpsons Hit and Run and create an HD Rerelease.

if that is the rumor, its too bad i guess cause SE is not going to sell i believed.

There is a decent chance Sony would buy Square Enix. S-E kind of knows that they aren't in a position where they can compete internationally. This was fueled by their sell-off of their western studios.

What does Sony have it's own abundance of western studios. What does Sony lack? Japanese studios.

It could be a real win win for Sony and Square Enix. They already have a deep relationship and maybe just maybe under Sony they'd have a shift in management and we'd see a return to quality over rush jobs and half-measures with their IP. I say this after Naughty Dog did a rush job half measure with the remake for the last of us part 1.... oy vey... Anyways I think that the price is too steep for what they offer.

But back to the OP, I think it's a bit farfetched, but not out of the realm of possibility that Embrace bought them to spin them off at a higher cost. Something that would make Square Enix look really bad unless it became clear that Square Enix was getting that cost of their books.

I think Sony will announce its own acquisitions right after the regulators approve/disapprove of the ABK deal. And then we'll see how the rest of the industry shakes out. I believe we'll see a round of mergers to stave off acquisitions too.

Capcom and Konami would make for an interesting merger. They're really the only two major third party Japanese studios that haven't had a merger and Capcom still has the development arm to make games for Konami's IP.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
No, but I do see them making some kind of a 2nd party like deal ala Insomniac before the acquisition.

Kilau

I would think yes but I can't vote that they for sure worked with Embracer on the deal since I have no idea or proof of that.

Why would they? They can’t even maintain a delivery pipeline with their current studios. They should focus on delivering the games they currently are developing instead of trying to buy the whole industry.
They seem to be big on paying for IPs and going cheaper on developers.

With all their studios, the fact they need to hire outside studios to make their game is mind-blowing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom