• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Microsoft end up buying Crystal Dynamics and Edios after Activision deal?

Will Microsoft buy Crystal Dynamics and Edios studios once Activision is sorted?

• Yep, no doubt Microsoft worked with Embracer Group on this one.

Votes: 52 41.6%
  • No. This fits with Embracer Groups strategy of buying every studio they can.

Votes: 73 58.4%

• Total voters
I'm on the fence. I think this is testing the waters but if Microsoft acquire Embracer then it'll be the biggest load of bullshit. Embracer own tonnes of IP and studios. It's bad enough that Microsoft argue they're not a poor third place in the console market and don't compare to Sony or Nintendo in size and ability to compete. This would be straight out monopolising.

splattered

I'm on the fence. I think this is testing the waters but if Microsoft acquire Embracer then it'll be the biggest load of bullshit. Embracer own tonnes of IP and studios. It's bad enough that Microsoft argue they're not a poor third place in the console market and don't compare to Sony or Nintendo in size and ability to compete. This would be straight out monopolising.

It would only be a monopoly if buying all this stuff shot them to first place in the console wars, which we all know wouldn't happen no matter who or what they buy.

Ozriel

M$FT
Why would they? They can’t even maintain a delivery pipeline with their current studios. They should focus on delivering the games they currently are developing instead of trying to buy the whole industry.

Then you’d probably be in support of them getting more studios. We’ve seen success from Sony filling up their own first party gaps with purchased exclusivity for deathloop, Ghostwire, Forspoken and Final Fantasy…not to mention purchases to expand into under-represented genres.

Sounds like you want MS to follow suit to plug holes in their pipeline.

With all their studios, the fact they need to hire outside studios to make their game is mind-blowing.

The idea that new dev teams like the Initiative and Playground’s Fable team without a ton of employees are outsourcing heavily for AAA production is confusing to you?

You also think it’s more efficient to strip devs off internal projects vs hire experienced devs from outside?

This explains many of your posts, I suppose.

Of course they will. If 3rd party ip is up for Grabs, Microsoft will be there. Look at all their acquisitions. Most of them are multiplatform studios.

Why are we talking about MS buying Crystal Dynamics? Weren't they just acquired and after MS used that same studio for one of their games? Clearly Embracer has plans for them right?

mdkirby

This would make zero sense, it doesn't fit embracers strategy at all, which is to gobble up under-utilised but memorable IP, and then try to maximise the potential of that IP via console and pc (and soon film/tv if I recall). They dissolved one of the studios from that acquisition (worth pointing out they dissolved it, not sold it) because they were focussed on mobile games and as such did not fit that vision.

Excluding subcontracting to MS, my guess for what their next stuff via that acquisition would be (and tho many may hate them, for a somewhat risk adverse studio remakes will make a lot of sense, especially as some haven't had new entries for many many years);

• AAA release of the almost complete next tomb raider.
  • A Remake of either deus ex, or deus ex invisible war. Cheaper than making from scratch, probably in UE5, as the mankind divided engine hasn't been touched for ages, due to the relevant studio/s being focussed on 3rd person action games in recent years.
  • Relatively faithful remakes of tomb raider 1 and 2, built in the latest tomb raider engine.
  • A remake, probably of soul reaver...as opposed to legacy of kain, soul reaver has greater recognition. Prob in whatever guardians of galaxy was made in. Tho there's tools in UE5 that I expect would make the world shifting a bit easier.

The remakes take less resources than a completely original game, and could be done, or at least some work on them could be done in parallel to work with MS on their stuff.

Once the Microsoft stuff is done, wrap up the remakes, release them, which will serve to reintroduce audiences to those IP, and if they are successful, green light original sequels/spin offs. If they are unsuccessful, then they might green light more subcontracting work, or more likely IMO just resigned the teams from those that failed to find an audience to support whichever of the above actually saw success, and double down on that success.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
he will buy everything in the industry

fc2f426d24cccfcd3fbd047a3e3a82eb87fadb56.jpeg

graywolf323

It's their favorite exclusives.
I mean it's because they're GamePass fanboys more than anything else, never mind that Microsoft doesn't have to buy studios to get games on GamePass, but that guarantees it & they don't care about anything else except having more things to play on "The best deal in gaming!™"

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Most of their games have 70% sales on Playstation with the rest being Xbox/PC, mostly PC.
Seems like a good fit which will end with a very long vacation with Mr Smith.

Then you’d probably be in support of them getting more studios. We’ve seen success from Sony filling up their own first party gaps with purchased exclusivity for deathloop, Ghostwire, Forspoken and Final Fantasy…not to mention purchases to expand into under-represented genres.

Sounds like you want MS to follow suit to plug holes in their pipeline.

The idea that new dev teams like the Initiative and Playground’s Fable team without a ton of employees are outsourcing heavily for AAA production is confusing to you?

You also think it’s more efficient to strip devs off internal projects vs hire experienced devs from outside?

This explains many of your posts, I suppose.
Umadbro

Neo_game

lol no. Microsoft needs to first start releasing games on their current games project. If for whatever reason it is taking time hire more staff, outscore or what not to get those things done first. That should be the priority. They have more than enough game studious already they need to improve their productivity and quality if anything.

John Wick

They had the chance to get them for a penny and they didn't. 200 Million was nothing for such a team. Yet they did not unless Sony had a say with Square Enix not to sell to MS ? I mean business wise that doesn't make any logic, but Sony is a snake so who knows?
200 million is chump change. So Sony could have bought them themselves and then sold them onto MS for double.

//DEVIL//

200 million is chump change. So Sony could have bought them themselves and then sold them onto MS for double.
I am baffled why they didn’t either . To have both tomb raider and uncharted is a lock for this genre exclusive to Sony .

I honestly don’t get it why neither didn’t

It would only be a monopoly if buying all this stuff shot them to first place in the console wars, which we all know wouldn't happen no matter who or what they buy.

Microsoft have been downplaying just how much the impact is going to have acquiring ABK and Bethesda. It should mean that with their studio acquisitions MGS would be huge by comparison. If they bought Embracer, they would easily be the biggest entity in the market. They would own an incredible amount of IP and developers.

Just because they don't sell the most consoles per year doesn't mean that what they're doing is fair competition and not monopolising. You can split and pie chart, form any set of data but the fact remains they've gained a tonne of studios from these acquisitions, not just developers but internal software for outsourcing, engine development, asset production etc.

If Microsoft were to acquire Embracer. Look at it rationally. Break it down. Look how much Embracer actually own and how big they've grown. You add that onto Microsoft who are still playing the victim in the hopes that it'll get this deal to go through and surely and reasonable person would admit that its too much.

This seems like something they’re interested in with these studios because of the kind of games they make and what they want to do. Also the Gallagher factor cannot be denied here buying crystal and having become the initiative and having Lara and Joanna under him. While having edios Montreal coalition and beenox up in Canada would be major for them to have those teams bouncing off of each other other. Sucks activision blizzards is probably holding them back with a lot of moves as well cause after abk anything else wouldn’t need to be on this scale or be near this kind of money.

That would honestly be disgusting. They can barely manage the studios they currently have in terms of consistent high-quality content, let alone improving their output beyond previous accomplishments. They'll most likely get the ABK studios soon...how much more can a glutton eat before their stomach bursts like that disgusting fat guy from that Yoshi's Island SNES commercial?

Honestly after ABK, MS should be more than fine on gaming acquisitions outside of a couple smaller dev teams, for the next 5 or so years. Anything else between that time that's a big gaming publisher or similar will hopefully get called out for what it really is: intentional anti-competitive, deprivation of content from platform rivals.

Because you only need but so much to compete and in terms of raw resources (1P teams, tech, money), MS already has enough IMHO. At least let them produce some meaningful results before entertaining the idea they should buy up a crapton of more teams.
I think once MS gets AKB over the line they really only need to tie up a few lose ends, being both genre and talent.
For genre I think it's safe to say they really only need some more action adventure games, and possibly some more Japanese content. I would have said they need a platforming studio but will have Toys for Bob, so that's ticked.
The other part of it to keep talent thay rely on. For instance Asobo with the on going Flight Sim contract and their ability for adventure games.
Next up would be Certain Afinity because they are balls deep with Microsoft and they wouldn't want to lose them to Sony or another publisher.
Avalanche studios is needed to help build games in the backlog of MS. They can do another Rage for instance. They are already doing Contraband so it makes sense.
Outside of those maybe IO Interactive and Platinum Games.
That's all they need.

Last edited:

El Muerto

Why would MS buy those studios when they were just acquired by Embracer? That makes 0 sense. Embracer already gauged interest about a new Legacy of Kain entry with a survey a couple months ago. If anything MS will probably create an exclusivity agreement for upcoming games with Embracer.

Just going to point out to you that MS acquisition strategy seems more geared towards Gamepass content + mobile entry than hitting any arbitrary quality milestones set by folks on gaming forums.

They’re certainly not interested in buying Embracer. Nobody’s going to add 13000 employees.

Well if that's the case, they already have enough. ABK gives them both of those things; treasure trove of older games they can release in the service (also an excuse for Xbox-branded re-releases of older Guitar Hero, Rock Band, DJ Hero etc. controllers), and King with mobile games like Candy Crush (oh and COD mobile).

They're good for a long while IMO.

Unlike Sony, MS doesn't buy every studio they work with.

Are you secretly confirming that Sony have acquired Ember Lab, Square-Enix, Capcom, and Supermassive Games?

Hot damn!

There is a decent chance Sony would buy Square Enix. S-E kind of knows that they aren't in a position where they can compete internationally. This was fueled by their sell-off of their western studios.

What does Sony have it's own abundance of western studios. What does Sony lack? Japanese studios.

It could be a real win win for Sony and Square Enix. They already have a deep relationship and maybe just maybe under Sony they'd have a shift in management and we'd see a return to quality over rush jobs and half-measures with their IP. I say this after Naughty Dog did a rush job half measure with the remake for the last of us part 1.... oy vey... Anyways I think that the price is too steep for what they offer.

Square-Enix have opened up investment programs (or something like that) for outside investors to pour into specific studios they own. So, I think Sony will invest a ton into the studios that produce the mainline Final Fantasy titles and maybe some of the smaller games. I can see Nintendo investing into some of the other Square-Enix studios, with Sony & Nintendo splitting investments into the studio that makes the Dragon Quest games.

Ironically that does give Microsoft a window to invest in certain Square-Enix teams/IPs themselves, but I don't know if they'd have enough time to actually do that given the current hold-ups with the ABK acquisition investigation.

But back to the OP, I think it's a bit farfetched, but not out of the realm of possibility that Embrace bought them to spin them off at a higher cost. Something that would make Square Enix look really bad unless it became clear that Square Enix was getting that cost of their books.

IIRC Square-Enix sold those studios but Embracer Group covered at least some of the debt those studios had? Which might explain how they picked them up for so cheap in the first place. Might've misheard about that though.

I think Sony will announce its own acquisitions right after the regulators approve/disapprove of the ABK deal. And then we'll see how the rest of the industry shakes out. I believe we'll see a round of mergers to stave off acquisitions too.

Can definitely see both things happening. Smaller-scale I can see Sony acquiring Ember Lab, the team behind Sifu, Deviation, and MAYBE Arc System Works if they want some in-house fighting game talent.

Anything WRT publishers, I'm not even going to entertain right now. What happens, happens there. I'm more curious about 3P publisher mergers, actually.

Capcom and Konami would make for an interesting merger. They're really the only two major third party Japanese studios that haven't had a merger and Capcom still has the development arm to make games for Konami's IP.

I'm trying to think of what Konami brings to Capcom outside of pachinko and having a lot of cash that can probably help with game funding.

I think once MS gets AKB over the line they really only need to tie up a few lose ends, being both genre and talent.
For genre I think it's safe to say they really only need some more action adventure games, and possibly some more Japanese content. I would have said they need a platforming studio but will have Toys for Bob, so that's ticked.
The other part of it to keep talent thay rely on. For instance Asobo with the on going Flight Sim contract and their ability for adventure games.
Next up would be Certain Afinity because they are balls deep with Microsoft and they wouldn't want to lose them to Sony or another publisher.
Avalanche studios is needed to help build games in the backlog of MS. They can do another Rage for instance. They are already doing Contraband so it makes sense.
Outside of those maybe IO Interactive and Platinum Games.
That's all they need.

Those would be good strategies on MS's end. I can see them acquiring Certain Affinity tbh, and maybe Avalanche. Realistically I don't see them acquiring any Japanese groups other than Platinum, but that could be complicated as Nintendo have a working relationship with Platinum for the Bayonetta series, though IIRC Sega still own the IP rights to Bayonetta so maybe the three parties could work something out?

At the very least though though, they should certainly keep up partnerships with the studios you just mentioned.

splattered

Microsoft have been downplaying just how much the impact is going to have acquiring ABK and Bethesda. It should mean that with their studio acquisitions MGS would be huge by comparison. If they bought Embracer, they would easily be the biggest entity in the market. They would own an incredible amount of IP and developers.

Just because they don't sell the most consoles per year doesn't mean that what they're doing is fair competition and not monopolising. You can split and pie chart, form any set of data but the fact remains they've gained a tonne of studios from these acquisitions, not just developers but internal software for outsourcing, engine development, asset production etc.

If Microsoft were to acquire Embracer. Look at it rationally. Break it down. Look how much Embracer actually own and how big they've grown. You add that onto Microsoft who are still playing the victim in the hopes that it'll get this deal to go through and surely and reasonable person would admit that its too much.

Despite their growth it still wouldn't put them in first place or create a monopoly... and this thread was discussing just purchasing the studious/ip from the western square studios that embracer purchased, not Embracer in its entirety.

If the A/B doesn't get approved, then they might make the move. If the A/B gets approved, they may want to but will likely hold off for a little while at least. I only say that cause of how much scrutiny that A/B deal is under. If you're under the microscope of "anti-competitive" dealings and barely squeak by it's probably not best to acquire some more, at least for a little bit.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
That's the Publisher!

If Embracer has CD... I don't see MS getting them any time soon.
I don't either. But they really don't even have to. They have ex-Crystal studio leads building The Initiative, and they're co-developing with CD. If anyone wants to just get a job at The Initiative they can switch over I'm sure. I don't MS is buying them either.

Well if that's the case, they already have enough. ABK gives them both of those things; treasure trove of older games they can release in the service (also an excuse for Xbox-branded re-releases of older Guitar Hero, Rock Band, DJ Hero etc. controllers), and King with mobile games like Candy Crush (oh and COD mobile).

They're good for a long while IMO.

Are you secretly confirming that Sony have acquired Ember Lab, Square-Enix, Capcom, and Supermassive Games?

Hot damn!

Square-Enix have opened up investment programs (or something like that) for outside investors to pour into specific studios they own. So, I think Sony will invest a ton into the studios that produce the mainline Final Fantasy titles and maybe some of the smaller games. I can see Nintendo investing into some of the other Square-Enix studios, with Sony & Nintendo splitting investments into the studio that makes the Dragon Quest games.

Ironically that does give Microsoft a window to invest in certain Square-Enix teams/IPs themselves, but I don't know if they'd have enough time to actually do that given the current hold-ups with the ABK acquisition investigation.

IIRC Square-Enix sold those studios but Embracer Group covered at least some of the debt those studios had? Which might explain how they picked them up for so cheap in the first place. Might've misheard about that though.

Can definitely see both things happening. Smaller-scale I can see Sony acquiring Ember Lab, the team behind Sifu, Deviation, and MAYBE Arc System Works if they want some in-house fighting game talent.

Anything WRT publishers, I'm not even going to entertain right now. What happens, happens there. I'm more curious about 3P publisher mergers, actually.

I'm trying to think of what Konami brings to Capcom outside of pachinko and having a lot of cash that can probably help with game funding.

Those would be good strategies on MS's end. I can see them acquiring Certain Affinity tbh, and maybe Avalanche. Realistically I don't see them acquiring any Japanese groups other than Platinum, but that could be complicated as Nintendo have a working relationship with Platinum for the Bayonetta series, though IIRC Sega still own the IP rights to Bayonetta so maybe the three parties could work something out?

At the very least though though, they should certainly keep up partnerships with the studios you just mentioned.

Embracer did NOT cover the debt.

I guarantee you Sony will buy a major publisher by the end of 2023.

A lot of cash and some quality IP goes a long way.

It was quite genius by MS to put Sony off buying Edios themselves.
Both CD and Edios have contracts in place to develop MS games for the next 2 or 3 years with Fable and Perfect Dark.
No way Sony spends 300 million to then have to spend the next 3 years of these studios lives developing Xbox exclusives.
Not too sure Embracer really want these studios spending their time making two Xbox exclusives when they could be making another Tomb Raider games on multiple platforms.

Godot25

Banned
It was quite genius by MS to put Sony off buying Edios themselves.
Both CD and Edios have contracts in place to develop MS games for the next 2 or 3 years with Fable and Perfect Dark.
No way Sony spends 300 million to then have to spend the next 3 years of these studios lives developing Xbox exclusives.
Not too sure Embracer really want these studios spending their time making two Xbox exclusives when they could be making another Tomb Raider games on multiple platforms.
I honestly don't think Sony has any interest in Eidos Montreal and Crystal Dynamics. They have plenty of similar minded studios. Literally, if your gaming preference is third person action adventure games, you already have PlayStation console. What could CD and Eidos Montreal bring to pull more people over? Not much, I think. Even with Perfect Dark/Fable co-development, I think that if Sony wanted them, they would outpay Embracer.

For Sony it is more logical to buy either another studios they have relationship with, or to invest in some live-service game companies since this is an area that Sony itself is really weak. And we saw how combination of Crystal + live service game ended up.

I honestly don't think Sony has any interest in Eidos Montreal and Crystal Dynamics. They have plenty of similar minded studios. Literally, if your gaming preference is third person action adventure games, you already have PlayStation console. What could CD and Eidos Montreal bring to pull more people over? Not much, I think. Even with Perfect Dark/Fable co-development, I think that if Sony wanted them, they would outpay Embracer.

For Sony it is more logical to buy either another studios they have relationship with, or to invest in some live-service game companies since this is an area that Sony itself is really weak. And we saw how combination of Crystal + live service game ended up.
For the money they got sold for Sony would have been interested.
Microsoft would have bought them if they hadn't of been trying to buy ABK.

Griffon

MS has bought enough shit.

If they can't release good games with what they already have, they should just give up.

That's the point of Antitrust laws, so that a billionaire company cant just buy wholesale a dominant position into a market they're shit at. Destroying all fair competition before it even started.

Last edited:

Godot25

Banned
For the money they got sold for Sony would have been interested.
Microsoft would have bought them if they hadn't of been trying to buy ABK.
I disagree. Because yes, 300 million is not much money in grand scheme of things. But you are also taking all those employees on your payroll. And especially Eidos Montreal is studio on the level of Naughty Dog in terms of size. And only IP that could have some value to Sony is Tomb Raider thanks to cross-media potential. And what is worst, no game is coming from those studios in next 2-3 years so it's not like they would helped Sony immediately. My point is. If Sony was really interested, they would have bought them, because they can easily outspent Embracer Group.
And I agree, that if Microsoft was not in the process of acquiring ABK they would have bought them.

Last edited:

oldergamer

People here dont realize most game studios are 1 to 2 games away from closing down. Its a difficult industry to get noticed.

Consolidation is normal and far better then studios just going away like they did in past years. It just seeds the creation of new studios. Also good to see some unionized labor is finally happening which isnt a bad thing.

Embracer always had plans to sell at some point. So i wouldn't be against the idea as ms are already paying team salaries.

Yes, I too dream of becoming rich, and my family owning most of the biggest houses and everyone else has to live in small houses or pay rent to live with us. How is that not fair?

Top Bottom