• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will MS overtake Sony in North America now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's because those games appeal to you. Not going to lie project beat looks hype but i really don't care for Uncharted. TLG? lol, hopefully.

It's all about marketing, i honestly think Xbone already lost with the hardcore gamers so they would have to recoup withmore casuals. It can be done but it won't be easy. This xbox one "without kinect" won't do much and as previously stated is not a great value for the price.

No, but think about it objectively. While you may not like it (For example, I'm not super duper hyped about TLG like others, though I'm pretty excited), those 3 games will absolutely create massive hype. Perhaps not mainstream hype , but it'll put the spotlight right on PS4 with the core (which will drive more of the core to PS4, who will in turn bring in the mainstream who care about CoD, AC, etc). In that sense, what games could MS have that could rival the buzz that those 3 games would create?

All about software, and I don't feel anything in 2014 of theirs will sell them faster, unless Halo 5 is coming this year. I feel Destiny will do a bigger job for Playstation than Xbox. And Watch Dogs will be pre-pricedrop.

But it's a powerful move for 2015 - and to reiterate, it'll be all about software that is relevant.

border

The price drop will certainly help them gather momentum, and match Sony going forward.

Sony is going to have a pretty rough E3/Christmas if they don't pull out some very serious and compelling surprises. Microsoft seems to have invested in notable exclusive games very early on, and I think those will be way more appealing than the nebulous power differential between the two systems.

I'm not sure what games Sony can offer up to compete (at least in terms of this calendar year).

RdN

third party exclusives are dead (even PS4 which actually has them, they are mostly small and niche). It all comes down to first party exclusives to "win" E3.. and to guess at that you have to look at MS' first party studios compared to Sony's. I know, given each one's output over the past few years, where my bet lies. not to say MS can't have a great E3. But I really can't see either company's first party lineup being enough to change minds (and that's really what we are talking about here)

I think it's too early to tell. Last gen, the PS3 was practically dead in the water for close to two years before Sony studios started delivering great exclusive games. Microsoft has made it clear that they are investing in new IPs and in first party studios. I don't see any reason why history couldn't repeat itself.

ypo

Everyone saw Titanfall so no. Or is this the new thing on the whiteboard? MS is aping Sony hard at this point so basically it's turning out to be a PS4-lite with inferior specs and a worse public perception. Not going to happen.

MxBxM

Banned
Depends on what exclusive games they show at e3 that are more interesting than what PS4 will have and then, we might have a better idea.

I believe Sony will maintain the advantage.

However, I think it's more mindshare than anything else. I think consumer sentiment broke for Sony early, and I think the effect of inertia will see to it that Microsoft is always fighting an uphill battle. I (and this is where I might get into trouble) don't really think power differences are all that important here, it's just that the first movers and early adopters will drive the decisions of others. The fact that PS4 is marginally more powerful isn't all that meaningful, in the grand scheme of things. Again, maybe it's me projecting, because I certainly wouldn't care.

However however, this move does make it easier for people deep into the Xbox 360 ecosystem to maintain that relationship going forward. For those that haven't decided for PS4, and haven't had a critical mass of their friends (real life or otherwise) decide for PS4, it will now just be easier to continue with Xbox. There's no price premium to be paid. 97% of the games (made up statistic) will be the same, and the 3% of exclusive content can break either way -- some will prefer Halo and Gears, others will prefer Uncharted and Gran Turismo.

We'll find out which way consumer sentiment is leaning soon enough. I still see PS4 leading, because I think early adopters will drive the decisions of their friends and family members, but this move can only make the race tighter.

Zombine

Banned
My preference would be for Microsoft to perform at a pace that keeps Sony on their toes and Microsoft desperate to inch toward parity with Playstation's unit sales. Competition is incredibly important for innovation and the birth of some amazing first party software.

He means the U.S. It's 300k right now so not much.

Is that all it is in NA? If so, I think the ball is very much in MS' court if they gear up seriously for its 'relaunch' with a lot of advertising and a slew of big announcements at E3 and beyond. There are lot of people still with X360 and active Gold subscriptions that transfer right over to X1. NA is pretty much the territory to win, if you're going to pick just one solid market to target.

Stony should drop the price of the PS4 in response to MS.

They need to stay competitive and not rest on their laurels if they want to stay ahead.

Why do people keep saying this, its mind boggling, Sony doesnt have to do squat unless this has results, Sony is killing MS at the moment, MS was the one who had to react and they did.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Project Beast , and TLG. Please elaborate on the hype.

Uncharted hype I will give you, but I don't think any first party game can match with Halo.

Halo 4 sold 3Million in 1 day
http://www.********.com/article/250533/halo-4-sells-over-3-million-units-opening-day/

One thing you REALLY have to remember is that Halo 4 sold 3M in 1 day
to a user base of around 80M consoles
. Those same numbers extrapolated to the current XBONE install base is around 185K. I honestly think TitanFall is a VERY good basis to start at where Halo 4 can sell. I mean one has to believe that the vast majority of XBONE's sold prior to March were done so in anticipation of TitanFall, and an attach rate of almost 25% seems to agree with that. Sticking with that 25% (which is already a huge number) and bumping the number of systems sold to say 6-7M by this fall means maybe like 1.5-1.75M units for Halo 4. EXTREMELY respectable, BUT at the same time not outside the realm of something Uncharted could likewise hit.

Lucreto

What will annoy me would be Sony doing everything right so far this generation only to lose out by the competitor who planned to screw over gamers with DRM and did a massive 180 and all the gamers flock back like nothing happened.

Nope.
MS are going to perform less terribly, as Sony has done nothing that could hurt their steamrolling behemoth, birthed by Kaz (pbuh), the holiest of prophets.

Why do people keep saying this, its mind boggling, Sony doesnt have to do squat unless this has results, Sony is killing MS at the moment, MS was the one who had to react and they did.

Killing? Dude, they are marginally outselling MS in the US each month. Killing is hardly the word I would use. If sunny wants to keep beating MS each month. They can't keep letting them be the leader. Sony needs to be proactive.

What will annoy me would be Sony doing everything right so far this generation only to lose out by the competitor who planned to screw over gamers with DRM and did a massive 180 and all the gamers flock back like nothing happened.

Actions speak louder than plans, IMO. Clearly, there are other people inside of a massive corporation who understand what matters and how to do things and there are others that don't. Right now, and since before launch last year, things have been changing. So, it's understandable if you cannot let go, but things do change and what happens is what happens. Look at Sony and how they changed from gen to gen, bad and good decisions and ceding to common sense and an audience and media that can push back.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Gears is 2016, CoD is an aging franchise, but it'll likely still sell well (though likely 50/50 on PS4/X1). Halo 5 may or may not be 2014. If it's not, then it's irrelevant for Fall 2014. You are seriously overestimating brand loyalty.

We're only talking NA here though. Even with the $100 higher price etc. the PS4 is only like 300k ahead in sales over here.

The X1 had a good chance of beating it once the online shooter crowd started taking the next gen plunge with Halo 2 Anniversary, the first truly next gen CoD, Halo 5 etc. start rolling out even without the Kinect/price drop.

Worldwide, they have no chance. But in NA, and especially the US, they'll likely win again. And no bias here, I have a PS4 and no interest in an X1 desire being a 360 first gamer last generation. The dude bro shooter crowd is the dominate force in the NA market and Sony just doesn't have great shooter exclusives. I mean Uncharted is great, but not really in the same vein as CoD, Halo, Gears etc.

Holiday's should be interesting as I think Halo 2A and Forza Horizon 2 will probably appeal to Americans more than PS4's exclusives at that time [The Order and Driveclub]

With the price parity I'm not sure how 3rd party games will affect each consoles sales aside from the fact that Destiny and Diablo 3 are being strongly co-marketed on PS4. COD is going to be co-marketed strongly on XB1 but I imagine everyone and their mother knows COD is available on PS consoles too so that it would have that big an effect

I think the price parity will help the XB1 quite a lot in the US but do think it suffers from issues of mindshare and in some ways a lower value proposition depending on what you value

He means the U.S. It's 300k right now so not much.

Gap is 381k in the US, closer to 400k

Vyrance

It's hard to say, it will be competitive at least. You all have to remember that even when the Xbox One was $450, with Kinect and Titanfall included, it was still outsold by the PS4. We will have to see how people view the value of a $400 Xbox One package without those included.

Sakura

I don't see why price parity would make the Xbox One over take the PS4.
What is it offering for that price that the PS4 isn't? In terms of exclusives, neither system has anything that impressive in my opinion right now. In terms of third party, the PS4 is more powerful and thus has the better looking games. I could see XBO sales picking up somewhat from people who wanted it but couldn't get it because of the price, but I don't see PS4 sales slowing down.

UberTag

I have little faith in North American consumers.

System race here will wind up as a statistical tie while Sony dominates elsewhere.

Nope. The gap will get smaller but even that isn't what Microsoft should consider good.

In NA the 360 managed 40 million, the rest of the world brought in 40 million 360 sales.

Even being neck and neck in sales in NA should be worrying for them especially since they won't launch (officially) worldwide until September.

Shaanyboi

Banned
PS4 is still the more capable machine, and if they can maintain that messaging and keep the word of mouth of selling incredibly well, then no. Not unless there is some game-changing, earth-shattering software announcements.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
It's good to know the whole countries thing will be your excuse when the PS4 continues to outsell the Xbone even when they are the same price.

Relax people, I am not trying to make anyone wrong. its not an excuse or nor I give a shit about how much each console sells as long as I am enjoying. All I am trying to say is its not released WW. Now its correct that most of those countries doesn't really matter. But SOMETHING is better than NOTHING. Even if PS4 outsells Xbox One 10:1. That 1 is still something.

One thing you REALLY have to remember is that Halo 4 sold 3M in 1 day
to a user base of around 80M consoles
. Those same numbers extrapolated to the current XBONE install base is around 185K. I honestly think TitanFall is a VERY good basis to start at where Halo 4 can sell. I mean one has to believe that the vast majority of XBONE's sold prior to March were done so in anticipation of TitanFall, and an attach rate of almost 25% seems to agree with that. Sticking with that 25% (which is already a huge number) and bumping the number of systems sold to say 6-7M by this fall means maybe like 1.5-1.75M units for Halo 4. EXTREMELY respectable, BUT at the same time not outside the realm of something Uncharted could likewise hit.

You are comparing Titanfall vs Halo? I mean common dude. Halo has one of the most loyal fan base. Not because of the competitive multiplayer but because of the campaign. Co-op and everything that game has to offer. If Titanfall sells 1million on Xbox One in 1 month, despite the fact its on PC/360 and online only game. You can imagine the effect of Halo Xbox One Only title, massive campaign, massive multiplayer, with great visual and great production value with huge marketing push.

Uncharted is freaking AWESOME. but its a singleplayer oriented game.

trixx

I have little faith in North American consumers.

System race here will wind up as a statistical tie while Sony dominates elsewhere.

Every where else i see the ps4 winning but in North Amerca, who knows, it's pretty tight right now. I also see parity personally, but again it hasn't even been a year yet and e3 could change things.

panda-zebra

Banned
No, because where is the value vs what we saw 6 or 8 weeks ago? When people say the gap will shrink, are they talking about the percentage difference or actual units? There's not enough to suggest either right now, for me.

As for marketing and how that might go, people suggesting ms can throw another huge pile of money at xbox one again and try a different approach, price parity doesn't give much to shout about at all. Same with the other parity moves of games with gold and apps without it. Their whole messaging now has to flip away from anything Kinect-based when it's been integral to all we've seen so far. So it's going to have to be the big games that do the convincing then and I'm not sure there are many exclusives any time soon to push on with. Yet we are about to hit a few massive multiplats that are "best on playstation" not only because of the (however minimal) exclusive content and advertising deals, but no doubt the usual res and framerate advantages we're now used to.

It could be down to something big at E3 that sways people in a meaningful way, but what that might be I have no idea... even if microsoft had something as big/interesting/eye-catching as Morpheus, showed it and a ridiculously low price entry point, it's twice as hard a sell having just unplugged and swung the kinect around over their heads and let it fly off into the sunset.
I'd like to see a gif of Phil, in full cowboy getup, doing just that.

I love how everyone is using the weaker hardware logic. When time and time again the "weaker" system usually comes out on top.

In the end, if MS can provide a stronger software line up than Sony, then yes they'll have a good chance.
MS hasn't released any of their big established IP's yet. Titanfall was still new and a lot of people didn't know anything about it. I'm pretty sure once a Halo or Gears comes out, they'll get a good push.

With a system that is the same price as a PS4, has nothing distinguishing it from the PS4 other than exclusives, and is less powerful than the PS4? I doubt it, but who knows.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
$450 with Titanfall didn't cut it. I don't see how $400 will with no game will.

I mean really this gif from another page just needs to be the first post in these threads..

March
xbone+kinect+titanfall = $450
PS4 standalone = $400
Sony wins

June
xbone standalone = $400
PS4 standalone = $400
??? wins

Starting June you actually get a worse deal than you had in March.

Gartooth

Hasn't it been established that consumers at large aren't loyal to a specific brand? In other words whoever has the best traction and provides the best perceived value will win at the end of the day. Whether Sony loses its foothold to Microsoft going forward depends on both companies' strategies at E3, but for the immediate future I don't see how price parity will stop PS4 from being the most popular platform.

Yes, unless Sony counters with:

i975uUhIFDZmU.gif

:)

aparisi2274

Do you guys think that price parity will help MS overtake Sony in NA in the months to come or is the PS4 value/momentum still strong enough to keep pulling ahead in sales?

I think that being the same price as the PS4 will give them a nice boost, but it will not be enough to surpass it. I only see the Xbox One pulling ahead in NA if it's sold cheaper than the PS4.

0.00% chance of MS taking over the lead from Sony

Last year, I would have said yes. But I'm starting to notice more and more PS3-Only households and that cements the one thing I always assumed but never had proof of: Gamers want a Playstation. Many things happened to make the PS3 a less desirable product, but it still squeaked ahead towards the end. With a cheaper system that will remain cheaper until June, and a healthy lead that adds more online users with each purchase, making it easier to get sucked up in the eco-system, I don't see how the XBO could win anytime soon.

Sony still has more powerful hardware, and this will only become more apparent as developers get familiar with the PS4 and they up the visual fidelity.

But your average consumer sometimes follows brand popularity and what console their friends are playing instead of technical advantages, so Sony had better have some megaton exclusive titles on tap for E3 to keep the hype focused on them.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
No, because where is the value vs what we saw 6 or 8 weeks ago?

A huge part of the 360 base was softcore gamers who just buy and play the big games like CoD, Halo, Gears etc.

That crowd isn't full of early adopters. Having price parity now makes it more likely that more of that crowd sticks with Xbox once they decide to take the plunge this fall with the new CoD, Halo 2 Anniversary, maybe Halo 5 etc.

Honestly, they probably would have caught up in the US at least this fall even without the Kinect drop just due to more of the softcore gamer, online shooter demographic jumping to next gen and X1 having stronger offerings there than Sony.

SykoTech

Depends on how much things like Call of Duty timed-exclusive DLC and stuff draws people.

I would say Halo and Gears, but both of those franchises seem to have declined in popularity a lot upon their latest installments on the 360.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom