• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will next Doom be multiplat?

as a playstation player, couldn't care less about Doom and Wolfenstein.
it's the same shit every time. same levels with lava and fire and demons.
nothing special and nothing that says must-buy to me.
didn't people say that Eternal was really hard even on normal ?
As a PlayStation player.
Discovery Shut Up GIF by Shark Week

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
New editions of Doom will be exclusive to Xbox/PC.

You can’t grow your console business putting your popular games on the competing system that’s kicking your ass.

Dazraell

We will most likely see with Wolfenstein III (as this is apparently in development for a while). It's a conclusion to a trilogy that was available as a multiplatform game. If they will push it as exclusive, then next Doom, Quake or any other id franchise being PC / Xbox exclusive games is more than given

Spencer was pretty clear the purchase was all about putting games where Gamepass is available.
Actually no he wasn't clear. Stop pretending your Messiah actually tells it straight .

"I’ll just say to players out there who are playing Activision Blizzard games on Sony’s platform: It’s not our intent to pull communities away from that platform and we remained committed to that," said Spencer.

No, it won't be on PS.
The Quake 2 remaster isn't a system seller. Anything that is AAA or a game that will move consoles will be exclusive. That goes for the new Wolfenstien, Doom, TES and Fallout are all going to be exclusive.

If they wernt initially, they will be after the way Sony acted with ABK.

xrnzaaas

Not a chance with new games, but I'm glad they're at least releasing their old titles on other consoles. Thanks to that I picked up Quake 2 for the PS5. :)

Puscifer

Well, according to Xbox, games with an existing fanbase will still remain multiplatform while games without an existing fanbase (like Starfield or Redfall) will be exclusive, and games like Quake and Doom fit in that first category so a new Doom could very well be multiplatform.
But looking at how vague Xbox has been about TES6 exclusivity anything could happen, lol.
I truly believe that Starfield signals a change in that. It'll have to bomb HARD from an engagement and sales standpoint to make going multiplatform worth it and that's just not going to happen.

SNG32

I think it would be stupid for them not to release on PlayStation if they want digital a lot of digital sales. Exclusive means it will drop on game pass and it could have the Halo Infinite effect.

SenkiDala

Well, according to Xbox, games with an existing fanbase will still remain multiplatform while games without an existing fanbase (like Starfield or Redfall) will be exclusive, and games like Quake and Doom fit in that first category so a new Doom could very well be multiplatform.
But looking at how vague Xbox has been about TES6 exclusivity anything could happen, lol.
Was about to reply this, we'll see soon enough if good guy Phil is a real good guy or not.

But exactly, if they make TES6 exclusives it means they just lied. Skyrim probably sold at least 5/7 times more on PS3/4/5 than on Xbox systems.

cireza

Tomb Raider 2,3,
What is especially funny is that Sony stated the exact same kind of argument back then when they paid to block Core Design games on PS.

We want our best-selling franchise to reach the greatest number of consumers

Of course Tomb Raider 2 and Fighting Force had versions running perfectly fine and would have released on Saturn. Development was halted in both case.

MS and Phil learnt from the best.

Last edited:
The Activision purchase was caused by Sony's own behavior.
How did I miss this post. This insane narrative has been debunked many times . Activision purchase was born out of their inability to make games and get them out the door after failure after over promise and under delivering. They launched a new console without a single next gen exclusive for it for what, two years? That sonys fault too?

I guess it's easier to believe Xbox failed because of Sony, rather than see fault in Xbox.

drganon

What is especially funny is that Sony stated the exact same kind of argument back then when they paid to block Core Design games on PS.

Of course Tomb Raider 2 and Fighting Force had versions running perfectly fine and would have released on Saturn. Development was halted in both case.

You and Andromeda's level of butthurt over tomb raider 2 is something to behold.

Goalus

Your retardation was too much to handle.
Fair enough.
However, I suspect that retardation is often assumed or seen by those who are not the brightest themselves. You were able to quickly edit your post to correct your typo - which suggests that your brain is somewhat functional. I find this highly surprising to be honest. I need to wait and observe to get more insight.

Surely Eternal is the same shit as all the others? Same levels with fire and demons.

But seriously, Doom Eternal is THE GREATEST FPS EVER.

Doom Eternal Fps GIF

Apologies for the derail, this thread will now be a bunch of people crying about how they didn't like it as much as Doom 2016. "I ran out of bullets :messenger_loudly_crying:"

As a PlayStation player.
Discovery Shut Up GIF by Shark Week

aww did I hurt your feelings.
"greatest fps ever" ? why, cuz MS owns it now ?
The Simpsons GIF by MOODMAN

I

Its makes me laugh when now being on a PC isn't exclusive. It makes you wonder why SONY fans said its worth getting a PS for FF7, MGS, and Tomb Raider 2 or why SONY paid EDIOS some $200 million dollars for 4 year lockout deal, when all the Tomb Raiders were on the PC.

Chukhopops

The Activision purchase was caused by Sony's own behavior.
Maybe Bethesda but Activision was just pure opportunity arising from the whole Kotick scandal, when he covered for the Blizzard and Treyarch management.

ABK wasn’t even considered a serious option for acquisition before that.

It could be. It might not be. We'll need to wait and see.

Microsoft has every right to make it Xbox/PC exclusive though. It coming to Playstation or Nintendo consoles isn't 100% certain.

No man, I doubt it, maybe, probably not, 50/50.

Is this the start of where everyone without an Xbox or “high end” PC start to get nervous about certain games not showing up on other platforms because of the new OWNER of these IPs not releasing on that specific platform huh, huh, huh is that what’s happening.

Quake 2 just released on everything, but I’m sure they consider that as a legacy like the older doom games.
But who the fuck knows???

Del_X

No. I also think id's next game is Hexen or something not doom.
EDIT: I think a switch 2 port is more likely than a PlayStation version. PC is a a given.

Last edited:
Top Bottom