• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will next Doom be multiplat?

drganon

Bro I hate this “Phil Spencer is a bad guy if he makes X game exclusive” rhetoric. Ryan and Sony have been doing that for decades. Is Ryan a bad guy because Xbox users cannot play Spiderman, TLOU, GOW, FF16 or Remake on Xbox? No, it’s just business. If anything, Sony is much guiltier than MSFT for walling exclusives.

I have all consoles so I don’t really care buy jeez some fanboys are insane. Exclusives are NOT bad and are in fact necessary for the differentiation and competitiveness of the industry as a whole.

If people can’t afford to buy X console to play all games, it was your choice bro. When you choose to buy an iPhone and not an Android or viceversa you also choose to keep certain perks and forfeit others. You just learn to suck it up.
masturbate-ejaculate.gif

rkofan87

Gold Member
We will most likely see with Wolfenstein III (as this is apparently in development for a while). It's a conclusion to a trilogy that was available as a multiplatform game. If they will push it as exclusive, then next Doom, Quake or any other id franchise being PC / Xbox exclusive games is more than given
if so good but my hunch is no look at starfield.

Robb

Gold Member
Did you read the thread ? I posted an example page 2, and Sony are notorious for lying to build momentum anyway (other examples in this thread). It is all about controlling the communication scene.
That’s such a general non-statement though. Nintendo could say, and probably have, said the same. I’m not saying every company doesn’t spew PR bullshit, they definitely do. The “we believe in generations” stuff was some of the biggest drivel this gen.

But the question was ‘why isn’t Sony being scrutinized for having exclusives while MS is’. And to me the obvious answer is Sony doesn’t constantly act like they’d want to give out every game on every platform or talk about not excluding customers from past series.

And even if this is recency bias it doesn’t really matter. I think you’d be hard pressed to find the same amount of comments regarding this coming from Sony or Nintendo’s CEO’s (especially due to the acquisitions and legal battles). MS has built this narrative themselves.

Last edited:

cireza

That’s such a general non-statement though. Nintendo could say, and probably have, said the same. I’m not saying every company doesn’t spew PR bullshit, they definitely do. The “we believe in generations” stuff was some of the biggest drivel this gen.

But the question was ‘why isn’t Sony being scrutinized for having exclusives while MS is’. And to me the obvious answer is Sony doesn’t constantly act like they’d want to give out every game on every platform or talk about not excluding customers from past series.

And even if this is recency bias it doesn’t really matter. I think you’d be hard pressed to find the same amount of comments regarding this coming from Sony or Nintendo’s CEO’s (especially due to the acquisitions and legal battles). MS has built this narrative themselves.
Sony and Nintendo have been in this place, trusting top of charts, for a longer time. They have built strong communities of people willing to defend them. MS isn't in the same situation. When they were top it was always for a limited period of time. MS are under scrutinity of Sony fans for the most part as they are competing around the same market, for a large part. They are the ones pushing narratives here, emphasizing whatever small thing happens on MS side to absurd proportion. Do not fall into these obvious traps. Sony and Nintendo both have their track records, and they are quite ugly. Anyone that pretends to be objective will know this.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Sony and Nintendo have been in this place, trusting top of charts, for a longer time. They have built strong communities of people willing to defend them. MS isn't in the same situation. When they were top it was always for a limited period of time. MS are under scrutinity of Sony fans for the most part as they are competing around the same market, for a large part. They are the ones pushing narratives here, emphasizing whatever small thing happens on MS side to absurd proportion. Do not fall into these obvious traps. Sony and Nintendo both have their track records, and they are quite ugly. Anyone that pretends to be objective will know this.
To each their own I guess.

To me it seems way more likely that the specific narrative of MS and exclusives are because of their constant blabbering. Not because people arbitrarily dislike the company.

People weren’t complaining about this at all to this degree during the XB360, or even XBO.

cireza

To each their own I guess.

To me it seems way more likely that the specific narrative of MS and exclusives are because of their constant blabbering. Not because people arbitrarily dislike the company.

People weren’t complaining about this at all to this degree during the XB360, or even XBO.
And yet we saw never before seen meltdowns when Rise of the Tomb Raider became a temporary exclusive. The bashing was unprecedented. And communication was perfectly clear from MS.

And then comes FF XVI temporary exclusivity from Sony, announced as an exclusive while "omitting the fact that it is temporary" (one of their communication omissions) and we didn't even see a tenth of the bashing we saw for RotTR.

Last edited:
Yes you're right. They guarantee that future CODs will not be exclusive for 10 years but they don't guarantee new Diablos and Overwatch(es). In fact during the federal trial the FTC asked Phil if they could also guarantee that later Diablos would also be multiplatform and Phil said he was not going to make that guarantee, the judge got upset that the FTC was overstepping it's boundaries and cut them off from inquiring further because the FTC said the case was about COD as they believed COD was a "unicorn" that was too important to Playstation.

So yea I can easily see Diablo 5 being next gen Xbox exclusive in 2030 or whatever year it launches.

L*][*N*K

Banned
Yes you're right. They guarantee that future CODs will not be exclusive for 10 years but they don't guarantee new Diablos and Overwatch(es). In fact during the federal trial the FTC asked Phil if they could also guarantee that later Diablos would also be multiplatform and Phil said he was not going to make that guarantee, the judge got upset that the FTC was overstepping it's boundaries and cut them off from inquiring further because the FTC said the case was about COD as they believed COD was a "unicorn" that was too important to Playstation.

So yea I can easily see Diablo 5 being next gen Xbox exclusive in 2030 or whatever year it launches.
I think the idea behind buying ABK is to keep those games multiplat, they are cash cows why bother making them exclusive? No one is ditching their PS5 to Xbox because it has Starfield and MS knows it, software is the future and that software neede to have as much access as possible

I think the idea behind buying ABK is to keep those games multiplat, they are cash cows why bother making them exclusive? No one is ditching their PS5 to Xbox because it has Starfield and MS knows it, software is the future and that software neede to have as much access as possible
Because MS needs exclusives to drive Gamepass adoption, Xbox sales and new users to it's upcoming mobile marketplace. COD is special yes but I don't think other ABK IPs are any more special than Starfield in that respect. I guarantee you Crash, Spyro and Tony Hawk games will be exclusive. Hell Infinity Wards new open world RPG will likely be exclusive. Blizzards new survival game will absolutely be exclusive and a console seller like Starfield. Every new blizzard IP does insane numbers in it's genre and that game will be no different in driving adoption just like Starfield.

Top Bottom