• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Nintendo finally announce a localized Mother 3 at E3 2017?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I think they will announce it along with the VC. They are definitely working on it, there has been too much noise and they playfully refer to it themselves from time to time. There is nothing to lose by releasing it, I just hope they don't censor the Magypsies.

ITSMILNER

Earthbound with a vengance

I would love to see a physical collection containing all 3 Earthbound games if they did indeed release a localised EB3.

Here's what Reggie said about Metroid and Mother 3 after the Switch was revealled:

“So I have nothing to announce–here. But we are aware that there are some key IP that consumers just can’t wait for the next true installment in that franchise’s legacy. Suffice it to say, we’re aware of it, and talk to me in a year and let’s look back and see what’s happened.”

Curious if we could see both at E3.

Mother 3 remake by retro studios! Balee Dat!

dash_large.jpg

ba296f0f1f1670122970170cfef18198.jpg

ch_laboratory_b20005.jpg

mother_3_lucas_s_house_environment_by_kamiwasa-d8st1v9.png
I'd love to see a remake Trilogy in this style. Although that seems a project better suited for EAD Tokyo/Monolith. Granted it'd likely never happen.

Musolf815

You probably know this, but Mother 3 was originally going to be an N64 game, in full 3D and everything. :-O
I still look up Earthbound 64 from time to time, it's really interesting to think about what could have been with a 3D Earthbound.

If they remade Mother 3 in 3D I would seriously find some way to get a Switch ASAP. I'd of course be happy with a localization too but a remake would be a dream.

Madao

no.

this game will never get an official translation unless they remake it for a current gen handheld.

Earthbound Beginnings's localization was done in 1990. they didn't do that when they put that game on VC.

the end.

I think it will come.

They made sure to release Earthbound Beginnings, pretty much told me that Mother 3 will come one day.

It's just a matter of when?

Ugh don't even remind me! Eurogamer got my hopes up so bad!

A little bit disappointed that they never followed up on basically presenting this as a fact!
or did they actually?

But yeah, it could be that they saved it for the Switch. Although imo it would have made a lot of sense as a send-off to the WiiU as well and it would have not prevented them from re-releasing it on the Switch.

So in the end I am not getting my hopes up...
HOPES ARE UP

MicH

A lot of people here setting themselves up for disappointment yet again.

I pray I'm wrong, but my faith in Mother 3 ever being released in the west has completely evaporated

What good is a Nintendo monthly subscription service that includes modified VC games if not to finally translate and release iconic games that never made it West.
NES and SNES only.

the fact that they haven't cut Clyde Mandelin a check, used his translation, and released this game years ago is baffling, and also kinda really shitty. he put so much time and effort into that translation, and it's so good.

Mother was localized in 1990. that's why they released it in the west last year.
Mother 3 was never localized. that's why they'll never release it in the west.
It's more baffling that anyone ever thought there was even the tiniest chance Nintendo would use an unsolicited fan translation. That was literally never happening.

So are we going to have this thread every year or...
Yes.

Literally never happening.

Here's what Reggie said about Metroid and Mother 3 after the Switch was revealled:

Curious if we could see both at E3.

Dude, it's Reggie. His word means shit, especially when it's vague nothingness. He basically said the same thing before as well, if I recall correctly, and nothing came of it then.

KNT-Zero

Nintendo could have done that on the GBA, but there wasnt a market for it. Then the DS, same issue.
WiiU gets EB Beginnings and EB, still won't go for Mother 3 on VC.
3DS could as well get a port like the Ambassador games (even the OG 3DS could handle them) and....nope.

Nintendo's priorities change like the seasons. Expect nothing.

”So I have nothing to announce–here. But we are aware that there are some key IP that consumers just can't wait for the next true installment in that franchise's legacy. Suffice it to say, we're aware of it, and talk to me in a year and let's look back and see what's happened."

What he's trying to say, in the most gentle way possible, is "shut the fuck up, we're releasing a new system and all you people care about is a 10 year old game that would have a poor ROI on it's translation and a franchise that we don't need to make a new installment of because every indie dev and their grandmas have already made a fucking ripoff of it."

Valahart

We've been on that train for 2 E3's by now. The Switch doesn't even officialy have Virtual Console support yet.

My mind tells me to just hop off but my heart still believes.

TheSun

Nah homie.

If there is a sign of hope, expect it to be crushed into ity-bity pieces by Reggie fists.

Then again I tend to be wrong so I'unno.

woopWOOP

Still not counting on it, but I'll take it if they do.
On one hand digging up old software to translate an old GBA title and paying translators and testers to have it up to quality sounds like a stretch, but on the other hand the (possible?) relative success of Earthbound Beginnings and so many people being aware of the franchise now still made them go and give it a shot.
(If so I hope other GBA games like Stafy and Tomato Adventure are next in line :V)

A remake would be neat too. Maybe some of the many many cut bits and pieces could be put back into the remake, like whatever that minecart ride was gonna be in the N64 version.

Oddish1

Yeah I think so. I'm guessing it'll be at Treehouse instead of the direct and be Nintendo's "and it's available now!" like Rhythm Heaven was last year.

The fan translation is amazing. Nintendo should just use that, because anyone with a minimum of interest in this franchise already played it that way.

HotHamBoy

They are never going to localize Mother 3.

Earthbound Beginnings was a completed translation that was never released, they just QC'd the rom and done.

Paying to localize a super niche GBA game in 2017?

Do you yourself a favor and play the fan translation. It's brilliant and it's probably more faithful than what Nintendo would create if they did localize it.

Mother 3 remake by retro studios! Balee Dat!

dash_large.jpg

ba296f0f1f1670122970170cfef18198.jpg

ch_laboratory_b20005.jpg

mother_3_lucas_s_house_environment_by_kamiwasa-d8st1v9.png

This is an insult to my very being. Not only is it ugly, but it spits in the face of what the Mother 3 artists achieved with pixel art story-telling.

Top Bottom