• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Nolan's next film be READY PLAYER ONE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

impact

Banned
Edgar Wright seems a better fit for that.

Going from Interstellar to this seems not only like a waste of his talents, but a terrible career move.

WTF @ "Nolan shouldn't waste his time with this. Edgar Wright though..."

Am I suddenly on a different planet where Edgar Wright's hasn't been blowing Nolan out of the water? What just happened?

He makes mostly stupid movies like this. I'm not sure what Wright has done either that would "blow out of the water" someone who made Interstellar, Memento and The Prestige but of course everyone is entitled to an opinion. Maybe better than those shitty Batman movies, but the Cornetto trilogy is straight up un-funny and Scott Pilgrim was awful.

Am I suddenly on a different planet where Edgar Wright's hasn't been blowing Nolan out of the water? What just happened?

way more consistent for sure.

but i loved interstellar tho (despite it's glaring faults)

Aurongel

It's not so much a quality of film thing (which is entirely subjective as some people in this thread are conveniently forgetting) but more of a directorial style thing.

Blader

think it just means Wright's sensibilities are a way more natural fit for the material than Nolan's.

Commodore

By far the worst book I've ever read, hopefully Nolan stays away from this garbage.

Anyone who actually enjoys and relates with that book needs to take off their fedora and take a good, long look in their mirror.

It's not that bad. I enjoyed it. Its not deep commentary, its no where near serious territory, its not the best written book either, but I enjoyed catching references, following the trail of clues with the characters. The setting and concept was unique enough for me, as well as centering around a ton of stuff from my childhood, that made it worth reading.

I don't see why Nolan would gravitate toward this at all, but maybe he's gotten his serious out enough that he wants to tackle something new. Maybe he'd bring a little more sharpness to the story. Don't know how he'd do it with his specific vision while maintaining what it is.

Nolan likes sci-fi with ideas, and this book doesn't really have any. At least not any that Neuromancer or Snow Crash or the Matrix don't cover.

Qvoth

i saw the twist from a mile away
and yeah, i didn't get many of the references
decent fiction i guess

Jarmel

Banned
Concept seems like a lot of fun if done right. I can see Nolan doing this as a palette cleanser sort of thing.

I have never heard of that in my life, but i'm actually interested in how Nolan might handle that. So I'd actually like to see him go for it.

Jarmel

Banned
If Nolan did this, I'm sure he would do a heavy rewrite. It's not like he would he adapt the novel straight.

For those who are unaware, this book is complete dreck. A product of someone lazy enough to live a life focused on video games but not lazy enough to stop posting on reddit for a month or two and crap out a book. A collosal waste of time for Nolan

way more consistent for sure.

but i loved interstellar tho (despite it's glaring faults)

Not even that I don't like Nolan. He's fine. I'm not as much of a fan as I thought I'd be in 2008 after TDK, but he's aight.

It's not so much a quality of film thing (which is entirely subjective as some people in this thread are conveniently forgetting) but more of a directorial style thing.

think it just means Wright's sensibilities are a way more natural fit for the material than Nolan's.

I can accept that. Just the vibe of some of the other responses made me salty.

Akahige

Nolan working off some kind of base of a script or novel and changing it to fit his style works fine for me, though I have heard very mixed things about this novel.

Crocodile

Three of my friends were RAVING about this book last week but the response in this thread seems to be that the book is mostly awful? A movie would save me the time of reading it though :p

kyser73

It treats the reader like idiots in my opinion, feels like it is just screaming at you to get the references and if you don't it is cocking its fedora and smiling.

I mean here is a supposed list of movie references made in the book (and this is not including videogames/music/etc).

I've seen all of those movies.

Does this mean I'm excused from reading the book, sir?

Weirdly enough, i had never heard about this book, but i like Fanboys, so maybe he just cant write novels

Far as Nolan directing, seems not like his kind of film

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Three of my friends were RAVING about this book last week but the response in this thread seems to be that the book is mostly awful? A movie would save me the time of reading it though :p

i'm sorry to have to tell you this, but you're going to need to replace those friends

It's not that bad. I enjoyed it. Its not deep commentary, its no where near serious territory, its not the best written book either, but I enjoyed catching references, following the trail of clues with the characters. The setting and concept was unique enough for me, as well as centering around a ton of stuff from my childhood, that made it worth reading.

You're right, it's worse. The main character is probably the worst fictional character I've ever come across in any medium. The whole thing reeked of a redditor writing himself into a terrible story... the part that made me put the book down was about halfway through:

Main character is in an MMO night club where he sees this girl he's into. She ditches him (probably because he's a fat, unemployed MMO addict) and he starts crying. In a nightclub. On the internet.

I was like, what kinda fedora shit is this?

kmax

I rather see Nolan do something original. His best works (except for TDK) tend to be the ones he comes up on his own.

Yuck. I put the book down after 100 pages because it was just soooo fucking heavy handed. I get it buddy, you grew up in the 80s/90s.

I thought the book was OK but I felt like you needed to be born in 1976 to get the most out of it. I felt I was far too young for it.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake

the Cornetto trilogy is straight up un-funny

1309918970621846.gif

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
If you love Edgar Wright, I assume you're also a Joe Cornish fan.

Instead of asking for EW to do this neckbeard jerkoff fest, read this and get hyped for JC's adaptation:

71362.jpg

Busty

Banned
I'd be surprised if this comes to pass. Nolan gets offered everything that Warners thinks is half decent above everyone else.

It doesn't matter if he says no or not, it's really more of a sign of respect. They want him to feel wanted and thus he gets everything they have.

I heard that Nolan had given serious thought to directing a big 'Twilight Zone' film for WB but passed and went onto Interstellar instead. I doubt that Nolan would want a project that already has various producers onboard as he likes to run his own show and this sounds a little too 'Inception esque' to me.

But it does show that WB are moving forward with this film.

If you love Edgar Wright, I assume you're also a Joe Cornish fan.

Instead of asking for EW to do this neckbeard jerkoff fest, read this and get hyped for JC's adaptation:

71362.jpg

That film will never go as it's set up at Paramount and Paramount don't make 'films' anymore. They only make 'brands' now.

RulkezX

I loved RPO, and tbh this thread is the first time I've ever seen a lot of hate for it.

Not sure Nolan would be the idea choice for a movie adaptation, though.

132'000 reviews on Goodreads - 4.3/5 average.

It's worth remembering Gaffers shit on everything.

soqquatto

the book is such a colossal piece of shit it should deserve a direct to video version with some busted old ex-star.

Yuck. I put the book down after 100 pages because it was just soooo fucking heavy handed. I get it buddy, you grew up in the 80s/90s.

Yeah, that book was not for me. I'd much rather Nolan keep working on original projects rather than adapting existing stuff.

p2535748

I'm really glad to see that most people here are calling out this book. I read it last year, when the hype for it was everywhere and I was shocked by how bad it was.

I'm fine with populist novels, I've enjoyed my fair share of Crichton/Clancy/King books over the years, but this is just bad writing wrapped up in 80's nostalgia in the hopes that no one will notice. I was born in '79, I grew up in the 80's, I got all of the references, but a collection of references does not make a book, and you've got to have some ideas outside of "remember when?"

I like Nolan. Not as much as some people, but enough to hope he avoids this and finds something more interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom