• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Nolan's next film be READY PLAYER ONE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enilced2

So because the reviewers were amateur, the movie shouldn't be made? I'm not getting your point. What I was trying to say is that it doesn't matter whether it's a "great" book or not, the vast majority of average people like it, so making a movie about it would make sense. People make movies to make money and the average joe couldn't care less whether it's a mind-blowing work of fiction or a fun, silly romp through a fake MMO with tons of 80s references. As long as it's entertaining, people will watch it.

No his angle is the usual I don't care if people like it I don't like it so that means it sucks and it shouldn't exist and the author needs to be ostracized and homeless.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
He made the subject matter non-enjoyable.

Ready Player One is even worse than simply being poorly written. The author uses the main character as his mouthpiece and embodies every stereotype about the obnoxious fedora neckbeard that we all hate. Soapbox atheist who turns his nose up at the non-tech savvy, fancies himself brilliant and the center of the universe, becomes fit and wealthy and gets the girl and wins at everything, everyone around him is a one-dimensional caricature for his embarrassing power fantasy (hilariously evil corporation, the rebellious damsel, the offensive "honorable" Japanese friends and the reveal of his best friend's real appearance). Top that off with horrible writing unfit for YA fiction, multiple deus ex machina, zero lack of imagination (OASIS basically does everything imaginable, the hero can basically do everything imaginable), no world building (it's 2045 but feels like 2015?), no moral consequences or deeper meaning in any of the "plot".... it's too much shit on top of shit.

Without spoiling anything, the handling of minority support charracters on its own was embarrassing as fuck and enough to dissuade me from not trusting anyone who said the book was perfect, amazing, etc. If Cline was a competent writer and there was an underlying message (there's literally nothing below the surface-level pandering), I would've thought this was intentional Robocop-type parody. Instead it's just insulting crap aimed at what Cline must believe are simple-minded readers.

iba7ldLHaUQUpl.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom