• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Nolan's next film be READY PLAYER ONE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I loved RPO, and tbh this thread is the first time I've ever seen a lot of hate for it.

132'000 reviews on Goodreads - 4.3/5 average.

i'm sure there are a lot of unadmirable, friend zoned slobs on the internet who relate with the shitty main character. there is no doubt RPO is one of the worst populist novels out there, which is saying a lot. the plot is just a terrible derivation of so many better sci fi books, the writing style is amatureish at best and the dialogue is beyond cringe worthy.

and again, the main character is the worst protagonist i've ever come across in any medium. every awful neckbeard stereotype rolled up into one manchild and projected into the story.

the book is garbage sauce and has no redeeming qualities. read better books, b.

That film will never go as it's set up at Paramount and Paramount don't make 'films' anymore. They only make 'brands' now.

i'm not too saavy on movie making, tbh, but that doesn't sound promising.

regardless, nothing will change the fact that the book absolutely rocks. if anyone is interested in reading a great, fun sci fi book that plays off the "digital world" concept, you can't do too much better than Snow Crash.

Enilced2

Eh book was fun. Movie could be fun too. Curious how they will have to change just to get around the insane levels of licensing issues.

Tobor

The book is childish and the main character is a Mary sue, but I admit to digging the constant 80's references and the mashing together of so many licensed properties.

The movie will suck due to licensing constraints. The book as is is unfilmable.

Gawge

No. Please, no.

Nolan can do way better.

The book was a fun enough ride, but it really isn't anything special. I guess it could be fashioned into something a bit better - but it would take quite a bit of rewriting to get rid of the deux ex machina, creepy 14-year-old boy fantasy vibes and some fundamentally weird plotting.

Like (book spoilers),
the whole thing is obsessive about the adoration these people feel for pop-culture icons like Star Wars, Lord of the Rings etc... They have watched these films hundreds of times over, yet for most of the movie, they ignore the central messages of those films and just go it solo, 'everyone for themselves', 'all my money' etc... Zzzzz.

Anyway, i'd like to see someone have a go at a film, there are interesting ideas in there if you change it up quite considerably. But no way do I want Nolan spending a year or so on that.

Slayven

It was tough getting through, I love the 80s and even I got sick of the references. How will they lock down all the rights for shit? If they just use generic shit it won't have the same effect.

see5harp

Started reading this a few days ago and this book is so cheese. I don't mind someone wearing what they love on their sleeve but this seemed so voiceless to me. It was just like a book based around this guy's best of lists.

Bricky

I love Christopher Nolan movies.

I liked the Ready Player One book.

I don't want Christopher Nolan to make a Ready Player One movie.

Three of my friends were RAVING about this book last week but the response in this thread seems to be that the book is mostly awful? A movie would save me the time of reading it though :p

It's more fun than it is good. It is the very definition of geeky, for better or worse. If you think references to obscure video-games the majority of Gaming side wouldn't even have heard about are cool you'll probably like this book.

It caters to a very specific audience, but it does so very well. It makes other books for 'nerds' seem like kids making a cool pop culture reference now and then while this is like that kid that knows every character in Lord of the Rings by heart and quotes Star Trek all the time.

It's a crazy fun book written by a passionate but amateur writer. I loved every minute of it regardless of how silly it was.

I don't think Christopher Nolan really matches the book's persona very much, but eh, what do I know? He'd probably do a better job with Snow Crash since it's more mature of a futuristic MMO novel.

aku:jiki

I don't see how this can be a movie... I've read the book and it really is just 80's References: The Book. In the prologue, at least in my edition, there are actually even annotations that explain each reference. The book really beats you over the head with the references until it gives you a neon-colored, pixelated concussion.

I guess they can skip the reference thing and just have the contest in the story be about something else, but then they'd lose the entire point of the book existing.

and again, the main character is the worst protagonist i've ever come across in any medium. every awful neckbeard stereotype rolled up into one manchild and projected into the story.
Eh, as you can see above, I thought the book was as mediocre as everyone else did, but you're projecting so hard with your descriptions of the main character. The kid was not fat, nor was he much of a "neckbeard stereotype", whatever the fuck that even means. He was just some loner kid trying to get by in a dystopian world, and he was pretty good at playing old games or whatever and happened to win a contest based around them.

vareon

I loved RPO, and tbh this thread is the first time I've ever seen a lot of hate for it.

Not sure Nolan would be the idea choice for a movie adaptation, though.

132'000 reviews on Goodreads - 4.3/5 average.

It's worth remembering Gaffers shit on everything.

It's worth remembering people who spend time giving a star review on a website probably loved it already, and book like The Mortal Instruments get 4.16 star from 748,751 reviews.

Even I, who enjoy almost everything, noticed glaring flaws in the book and that is enough for me to not recommend the book to anyone who wants to read it.
Here's the biggest ones I remember:
- The 80s reference are used for nothing. They're merely namedrops. It's equivalent to cheering when an artist simply mentions your favorite cartoon.
- Wade is textbook Gary Stu. There's an entire part of the book where Wade
had to recite scenes from a movie (I think it was WarGames?), and he just happen to know every line, because he just happened so.
How is that supposed to be interesting?
- This might be subjective, but my suspension of disbelief was broken from the very beginning when the book told me that the game has a puzzle that hasn't been cracked for decades, even when an entire company was founded to solve the puzzle. Problem is the "puzzle" itself is incredibly simple, and I've seen more complex ARGs cracked by a great collaboration of players within months.

I'd like to see why know why you loved it, but to me RPO is the first book--probably the only book--that I can't defend.

It's worth remembering people who spend time giving a star review on a website probably loved it already, and book like The Mortal Instruments get 4.16 star from 748,751 reviews.

FWIW, I disliked the book so much that I gave it a thorough 1 star review on Goodreads.

To me, the "romance" was the most cringe-worthy part, even more so than all the reference drops. The girl character was literally fantasy fulfillment and nothing more.

Not everyone likes to dissect every square inch of a novel. Some people just read to enjoy reading. Just like some people just game to have fun and don't care about 60fps or perfect resolution.

I thought this book was really fun and enjoyed every minute of it. I didn't really look very deeply into it... just had a good time. It helped that it was the audiobook and was narrated by Will Wheaton.

Pilgrimzero

Not everyone likes to dissect every square inch of a novel. Some people just read to enjoy reading. Just like some people just game to have fun and don't care about 60fps or perfect resolution.

I thought this book was really fun and enjoyed every minute of it. I didn't really look very deeply into it... just had a good time. It helped that it was the audiobook and was narrated by Will Wheaton.

I have a friend who is like this. Dissects everything. It's why his nickname is "Captain Unfun" and has to be reminded that not everything has to be Shakespeare. It's OK for some things to just be "fun".

vareon

I enjoy a lot of shit books, games, etc. This one is....remarkable somehow? I dunno. Usually I really enjoy something, then a few days after that I realize what I enjoyed was kind of bad (but still enjoy it nonetheless). But I noticed how bad RPO when reading it, something I never do. That's why I'm really interested in seeing what people liked about it.

The book was trashy, but fun. HEAPS of problems, but a good ride.

Neither Nolan nor Wright should waste their time on it. Especially not Wright. I think that idea is even worse than Nolan TBH. Just because he directed Scott Pilgrim doesn't mean he's a perfect fit for videogame or 80s nostalgia movies, and I don't think his style would fit the material at all.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I have a friend who is like this. Dissects everything. It's why his nickname is "Captain Unfun" and has to be reminded that not everything has to be Shakespeare. It's OK for some things to just be "fun".

i'm just saying, if you want to read a fun sci fi book that also happens to not be a terrible pile of fedora garbage, read Snow Crash

Eh, as you can see above, I thought the book was as mediocre as everyone else did, but you're projecting so hard with your descriptions of the main character. The kid was not fat, nor was he much of a "neckbeard stereotype", whatever the fuck that even means. He was just some loner kid trying to get by in a dystopian world, and he was pretty good at playing old games or whatever and happened to win a contest based around them.

he was described as an overwrite, antisocial kid addicted to plugging into his MMO.

To me, the "romance" was the most cringe-worthy part, even more so than all the reference drops. The girl character was literally fantasy fulfillment and nothing more.

that's when it really became clear who the author was pandering to...

Pilgrimzero

I enjoy a lot of shit books, games, etc. This one is....remarkable somehow? I dunno. Usually I really enjoy something, then a few days after that I realize what I enjoyed was kind of bad (but still enjoy it nonetheless). But I noticed how bad RPO when reading it, something I never do. That's why I'm really interested in seeing what people liked about it.

I love everything about. I hadn't read a book this fast in years.

I had some issues with the Desu Ex parts (Luckily I just bought the passcode to the Corp computer on a whim the week before!).

But having been raised in the 80s. It brought back all the nostalgia. Being a D&D player even more so when he went after the first key.

Who wouldn't want to drive the virtual highways in a Delorian, or fly an X-Wing, or stomp around as Ultraman?

This book was kid-me getting to live every dream I ever had.

Yes it was full of tropes. And I appreciated that it even nitpicked itself "My dad thought it would be funny name me something like Peter Parker" (Wade Watts).

This movie made me feel like it was a "modern" Goonies. An adventure with 80s nostalgia at its heart. It made me feel like a kid again.

Pilgrimzero

i'm just saying, if you want to read a fun sci fi book that also happens to not be a terrible pile of fedora garbage, read Snow Crash

he was described as an overwrite, antisocial kid addicted to plugging into his MMO.

I've read Snowcrash, it was good. I love Cyperpunk books. (About to start up another Shadowrun game with my weekly RPG group, Woo!)

I read Snow Crash immediately after RPO by recommendation. I admit that Snow Crash was a better written book, but I enjoyed Ready Play One immensely more.

It's funny, because while I enjoyed the book despite its numerous problems, I can't actually dispute anything you're saying. You're right, it's pretty bad lol

I've been meaning to check out Snow Cash for a while too, so I'm going to do that now.

Alavard

I really enjoyed the book for what it was (and listening to it in audio read by Wil Wheaton only enhanced my enjoyment), but it really doesn't seem ...'Nolanesque' I guess? And this is assuming they are able to work around all the licensing issues mentioned by other posters.

I was the target market demo for the book. I was a mid-teen when all the main references were big.

I enjoyed the heck out of it.

It's crap, though. I hate the overuse of the term "Mary Sue" but there was never a more appropriate use than to describe the main character.

Still,
I saw those movies
I played that D&D module
I loved (most of) those video games

And I got all the references. It was really written to me.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Nolan can basically do anything he wants, why would he do this?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't think it says he's doing it, just being offered to him.

I'm saying, even if it was offered, why would he accept? I guess its possible he's just out of ideas for his next project.

Beaulieu

Worst book Ive read all year.
Written for 15 years old but chuckfull of references for 30 years old.

target demo for the book must be 35 yo manbabies without any reading skills. sad.

RulkezX

Worst book Ive read all year.
Written for 15 years old but chuckfull of references for 30 years old.

target demo for the book must be 35 yo manbabies without any reading skills. sad.

I'm pretty sure I read it in a day , enjoyed it for what it was and moved on too something else . Not sure why you and Joe need to be actively throwing insults around at anyone who enjoyed the book.

Even I, who enjoy almost everything, noticed glaring flaws in the book and that is enough for me to not recommend the book to anyone who wants to read it.
Here's the biggest ones I remember:
- The 80s reference are used for nothing. They're merely namedrops. It's equivalent to cheering when an artist simply mentions your favorite cartoon.
- Wade is textbook Gary Stu. There's an entire part of the book where Wade
had to recite scenes from a movie (I think it was WarGames?), and he just happen to know every line, because he just happened so.
How is that supposed to be interesting?
- This might be subjective, but my suspension of disbelief was broken from the very beginning when the book told me that the game has a puzzle that hasn't been cracked for decades, even when an entire company was founded to solve the puzzle. Problem is the "puzzle" itself is incredibly simple, and I've seen more complex ARGs cracked by a great collaboration of players within months.

I'd like to see why know why you loved it, but to me RPO is the first book--probably the only book--that I can't defend.

I went into it expecting a fast , easy read with a ton of references to games and shows I loved as a kid. Sure it's not that well written , the story may fall apart if you give it too much thought and the nostalgia is laid on a little thick at points, but it was fun and entertaining enough to blast through and enjoy.

Not every book is shooting for the stars , it's ok for them to have failings and serve as disengage your brain entertainment.

DaveH

I read Snow Crash immediately after RPO by recommendation. I admit that Snow Crash was a better written book, but I enjoyed Ready Play One immensely more.

I've been meaning to check out Snow Cash for a while too, so I'm going to do that now.

Snow Crash has many more ideas while still being digestible, compared to his other, larger tomes of rather insanely decompressed treatises. It's almost smart enough to make you forget the stupid... like the fact the main character is named Hiro Protagonist.

However, I went back and read it recently and like a lot of cyberpunk, it's a bit of a failed prophecy and unintentionally dated. Look, it was a prediction about cyberspace in 1992 when AOL boasted it had 200,000 members (it would eventually have 29 million) and the introduction of international email. So it was visionary at the time but a little less so today.

That said, if you're in the mood for Neal Stephenson delving back into cyberspace and being more contemporary about it, check out “Reamde"... of course... well, print length for reference:

Snow Crash (1992) - 480 pages
The Diamond Age: or A Young Lady's Illustrated Primer (1995) - 512 pages
Cryptonomicon (1999) - 1168 pages
Quicksilver (2003) - 960 pages
Anathem (2008) - 1010 pages
Reamde (2011) - 1055 pages
Christian Bible (for reference) - ~1200 pages

The length of his other books prevents them from being as, say, cinematic as RPO or Snow Crash.

injurai

Banned
Yes. I can't YouTube for the references right now, but he's swapped projects with directors before.

Maybe he will just do a script treatment, not interested in him directing this. Though if he could surprise then sure why not.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Fun book. I'd love to see a movie version. Not sure why Nolan would be doing it though. That seems weird.

I'm in the "read it fast, enjoyed it as a guilty pleasure/throwaway/it is onjectively kinda bad" but I don't understand this one complaint at all. There are a lot of namedrops, but there are also big parts of the story that are tied specifically to those references in some depth. Partcularly Zork and AD&D Module S1.

I enjoy lots of books that are meant to be shallow, fun reads. But when you're listing pages upon pages of nothing but pop culture references simply for the nostalgia buzz, you're not pushing the story forward and just wasting my time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom