• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Nolan's next film be READY PLAYER ONE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not even sure how this could be produced. Dealing with licensing seems like it'd be almost impossible, and it's not something where you can just take out the references. They're an integral part of the story

Pilgrimzero

Someone one mentioned "Reamde" above. I picked up as I was told it was "cyberpunk" I quit about 1 and half chapters in.

In modern times, some guy who used to be a smuggler enjoying the holidays and then goes and buys a gun at the gun store.. .Zzzzzzz.

Usually I would give a book more of a chance but I so didn't care about what was happening and his little backstory, just immediately turned off by it.

First impressions and all that I guess.

Nether!

I actually believe that someone could turn out a decent movie from this book - just gut everything and keep the basic plot and the name.

I'd heard a lot of people talk about Ready Player One so I gave it a read.
It's atrocious.
It's not quite a novel for pre-teens, I am not sure who is enjoying this book - several parts are laughably awful.
The book reminded me of self-published novels that are only published online.

I
It's not quite a novel for pre-teens, I am not sure who is enjoying this book - several parts are laughably awful.

People for who the entertainment and nostalgia value overwhelms the critical response. Namely, me.

If this book weren't so incredibly short, it would have much worse reception. It reads like a very entertaining thing you might read on a website, only too big for that.

wildfire

Banned
I see elements of this story as right up Nolan's ally. Specifically speaking because Nolan likes to play around with concepts of perception and reality then making a movie about virtual reality MMO is a logical next step. Whether or not it should deal with the characters and game logic of Ready Player One is up for debate.

this looks even hammier and more heavy handed than TDKR, and that film had a random policeman figure out batman's secret identity because he saw the sad twinkle in bruce wayne's eyes.

DMczaf

lol he's not going to make this trash. Looks like something for a Director-for-Hire.

I bet that Nolan finally does his Howard Hughes movie next.

ShaneB

Liked the book, it's completely ridiculous plenty of times, but thought it was a fun read.

Nolan being anywhere attached to the movie seems like an odd choice unless it's totally reworked, which would make sense as well.

Gawge

I find looking at the Goodreads top reviews gives a fairly good idea of a book, rather than the ratings (which I find can be slightly skewed, especially when a book appeals to a specific fandom). I do stand up for stuff that GAF seems to take a bit of an unlikely contrarian opinion on (e.g. TDKR, Skyfall etc...).

In the case of RPO, the top Goodreads reviews are, as expected, totally mixed. From adoration of the fun, to firm criticism of the shabby writing.

I thought the characters, plot and romance were achingly bad, BUT have to admit that I had a good bit of fun outside of the infodumps.

Has got 4.3/5 rating on Amazon and most helpful reviews are all 5/5 so it's surprising the hate the book is getting here

NeoGAF standards |= General Public standards. Everyone IRL I know that read this book (7 or 8 people) all loved it.

The more I think about it, the more I think it'd be neat if they gave it the Running Man treatment where they kept the premise of the movie but changed all the characters. That'd be right up Nolan's alley.

Blader

lol he's not going to make this trash. Looks like something for a Director-for-Hire.

I bet that Nolan finally does his Howard Hughes movie next.

Part of me thinks that's shelved for good, but it did come up a lot on the Interstellar press tour. Could be nothing to that, but at the same time Jonah was also talking about how much he loved Isaac Asimov's Foundation series, and then less than a week later it broke that he was developing it into an HBO series.

personally, I'd rather see Nolan's remake of The Prisoner instead.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
NeoGAF standards |= General Public standards. Everyone IRL I know that read this book (7 or 8 people) all loved it.

The more I think about it, the more I think it'd be neat if they gave it the Running Man treatment where they kept the premise of the movie but changed all the characters. That'd be right up Nolan's alley.

If anything, we deserve an actual The Running Man movie and not what we got.

harSon

Banned
This sounds like a terrible combination. Nolan is a pretty dry dude and doesn't strike me as the type of guy who can do sci film filled with fan service, 80s tributes, etc.

DMczaf

Part of me thinks that's shelved for good, but it did come up a lot on the Interstellar press tour. Could be nothing to that, but at the same time Jonah was also talking about how much he loved Isaac Asimov's Foundation series, and then less than a week later it broke that he was developing it into an HBO series.

personally, I'd rather see Nolan's remake of The Prisoner instead.

I'm wondering if he's ready to leave "blowing shit up" just yet. The fact that Interstellar might make nearly $700M is a god damn miracle, it could have easily been his first bomb.

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if he just goes "Fuck it, let's just do Inception 2" after the reaction Inception got during his Colbert Report appearance.

No it won't. For literally countless reasons.

First, the book is inherently unadaptable. It's based on a future where pop culture worship has resulted in every franchise under the sun coming together in this virtual reality universe, where Serenity flies next to the Millennium Falcon while they shoot out the bikes from Akira. Getting the licensing for everything necessary would be impossible, meaning the alternative is to either strip that element out entirety, or limiting it to characters in WB's library.
Next, there's the fact that Nolan doesn't need to be "courted" for projects. He's one of the most powerful directors in Hollywood, and I don't see a scenario where WB can leverage him into an adaptation.
Plus, this would be the last thing he'd ever agree to work on. It's 100% fanboy fodder, a story about the average suburban white kid who saves the world because he's so inherently better than everyone else. It's ridden with cliche in a way that almost pays omage to 80s filmmaking unintentionally. If Nolan wanted to make more of that kind of movie, why not give him a new DC project?

tokkun

It would be fine if the book were 'dumb fun'. I can enjoy a Dan Brown novel as much as the next guy. But RPO is just mind-numbingly bad, and I say that as someone who has read their share of bad fantasy and sci-fi books. I read Piers Anthony's entire catalog as a youth. I read Eragon. I read the Brian Herbert Dune books. This is a bad book even by those standards.

roytheone

Didn't know about the book, so read a summary and yeah, this isn't the type of story that Nolan typically makes. Wouldn't be a good match at all.

Does he have any precedence of turning down Warner Bros suggestions?

Wasn't he offered a position similar to that of Joss Whedon as supervisor of the whole DC movie universe? But he declined because that would take to much of his time and stop him from doing different projects.

And Avatar.

No, he didn't?

TCKaos

READY PLAYER ONE would be an awesome movie, but not with Nolan. Have del Toro do it instead. He's good at having fun, unlike Nolan, who appears to have had his parents murdered in front of his eyes in a dark alleyway by fun.

how so? SP was a solid comic series & a surpisingly rad movie.... have you read RPO?

Yeah, I've read the book and I liked it.

I was referring to the tendency of the people who didn't like the book going after the people who liked it. Like how most of the Scott Pilgrim negative reviews weren't about the movie, but the audience.

This is a great article about the phenomenon.

Interesting. I just started reading this book, and I started thinking if it would make a good movie. I decided it would not. The story is good, fun science fiction, but the 80's pop culture references come on way too thick, and it is not particularly well written. A person would probably be better off reading Ender's Game again.

I was referring to the tendency of the people who didn't like the book going after the people who liked it. Like how most of the Scott Pilgrim negative reviews weren't about the movie, but the audience.

This is a great article about the phenomenon.

I think there's a perception that core geeks are incredibly polarized. There are some who will devour any shit the corporate machine slogs out, and others who love to hate on something no matter how good it is. They both yell the loudest and neither is willing to make concessions. Top it off with their favorite mediums (games, comics, fantasy novels) historically being void of ideas and it leaves the elitists wondering what exactly it is these geeks are fighting over.

RulkezX

For example :

Anyone who actually enjoys and relates with that book needs to take off their fedora and take a good, long look in their mirror.

Instead of asking for EW to do this neckbeard jerkoff fest, read this and get hyped for JC's adaptation:

i'm sure there are a lot of unadmirable, friend zoned slobs on the internet who relate with the shitty main character. there is no doubt RPO is one of the worst populist novels out there, which is saying a lot. the plot is just a terrible derivation of so many better sci fi books, the writing style is amatureish at best and the dialogue is beyond cringe worthy.

and again, the main character is the worst protagonist i've ever come across in any medium. every awful neckbeard stereotype rolled up into one manchild and projected into the story.

the book is garbage sauce and has no redeeming qualities. read better books, b.

i'm just saying, if you want to read a fun sci fi book that also happens to not be a terrible pile of fedora garbage, read Snow Crash

that's when it really became clear who the author was pandering to...

target demo for the book must be 35 yo manbabies without any reading skills. sad.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
i'll take the L and apologize for that first quote but the rest were about the protagnist and not the fans

i'll take the L and apologize for that first quote but the rest were about the protagnist and not the fans

They were pretty clearly aimed at the fans. I mean, yeah you're entitled to your opinion, but don't belittle those that think differently than you. Regardless of what the elite readers think, this book scored very well on Goodreads and Amazon so there are obviously a lot of people that liked it and would love a movie.

injurai

Banned
Wasn't he offered a position similar to that of Joss Whedon as supervisor of the whole DC movie universe? But he declined because that would take to much of his time and stop him from doing different projects.

This is different though in the sense that it would be a one off. That's the precedence I'm wondering about.

I was a fan of Scott Pilgrim too (without the guilty pleasure caveat) but the "insult the fans" thing tells me more about the person saying it than it bothers me personally. In both cases, the description of the fans by the critic didn't match me in the slightest. I am neither hipster nor fedora-wearer nor neckbeard.

(Although I suppose I was friendzoned pretty hard as a teen in the 80s, but wasn't everybody early in their romantic life?)

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Best thing I've learned from this thread is that Snowcrash is going to have a movie adaptation.

It's so much better in every single way. The two shouldn't really even be compared because of how big of a pile of shit RPO is.

Best thing I've learned from this thread is that Snowcrash is going to have a movie adaptation.

It's so much better in every single way. The two shouldn't really even be compared because of how big of a pile of shit RPO is.

While I actually enjoyed RPO, I do agree with you in that Snow Crash would be an awesome movie and is way more up Nolan's alley.

Jado

Banned
Shitty book will make for a shitty movie. I hope it bombs and kills the hack author's chances of every writing another trash book for the sole purpose of shopping it around for a movie deal. My thoughts from a book thread:

He made the subject matter non-enjoyable.

Ready Player One is even worse than simply being poorly written. The author uses the main character as his mouthpiece and embodies every stereotype about the obnoxious fedora neckbeard that we all hate. Soapbox atheist who turns his nose up at the non-tech savvy, fancies himself brilliant and the center of the universe, becomes fit and wealthy and gets the girl and wins at everything, everyone around him is a one-dimensional caricature for his embarrassing power fantasy (hilariously evil corporation, the rebellious damsel, the offensive "honorable" Japanese friends and the reveal of his best friend's real appearance). Top that off with horrible writing unfit for YA fiction, multiple deus ex machina, zero lack of imagination (OASIS basically does everything imaginable, the hero can basically do everything imaginable), no world building (it's 2045 but feels like 2015?), no moral consequences or deeper meaning in any of the "plot".... it's too much shit on top of shit.

I love the "nolan is above this kind of movie" posts

Guys. Nolan made three fucking batman movies.

Third movie aside, the comic books that inspired two of those movies were pretty good and so was the final outcome on the screen. Ready Player One is just plain terrible.

Jado

Banned
They were pretty clearly aimed at the fans. I mean, yeah you're entitled to your opinion, but don't belittle those that think differently than you. Regardless of what the elite readers think, this book scored very well on Goodreads and Amazon so there are obviously a lot of people that liked it and would love a movie.

A large number of amateur reviews is not indicative of high quality. Many of the "5 star!" reviews can't coherently describe what's so good about the book beyond "I grew up in the 80s, I love all the old school references, Oasis would be so dope, and Wade kicked so much ass! 6 out of 5 stars, best book ever!"

Without spoiling anything, the handling of minority support charracters on its own was embarrassing as fuck and enough to dissuade me from not trusting anyone who said the book was perfect, amazing, etc. If Cline was a competent writer and there was an underlying message (there's literally nothing below the surface-level pandering), I would've thought this was intentional Robocop-type parody. Instead it's just insulting crap aimed at what Cline must believe are simple-minded readers.

A large number of amateur reviews is not indicative of high quality. Many of the "5 star!" reviews can't coherently describe what's so good about the book beyond "I grew up in the 80s, I love all the old school references, Oasis would be so dope, and Wade kicked so much ass! 6 out of 5 stars, best book ever!"

Without spoiling anything, the handling of minority support charracters on its own was embarrassing as fuck and enough to dissuade me from not trusting anyone who said the book was perfect, amazing, etc. If Cline was a competent writer and there was an underlying message (there's literally nothing below the surface-level pandering), I would've thought this was intentional Robocop-type parody. Instead it's just insulting crap aimed at what Cline must believe are simple-minded readers.

So because the reviewers were amateur, the movie shouldn't be made? I'm not getting your point. What I was trying to say is that it doesn't matter whether it's a "great" book or not, the vast majority of average people like it, so making a movie about it would make sense. People make movies to make money and the average joe couldn't care less whether it's a mind-blowing work of fiction or a fun, silly romp through a fake MMO with tons of 80s references. As long as it's entertaining, people will watch it.

Meier

I enjoyed it. The author, Ernie Cline, lives here in Austin so this would be pretty neat. I went to a book reading/signing for this some years back and he was a very nice guy. Drives a Delorean.

Maybe Harry Knowles would actually do some cool shit.. dude has basically given up hosting events for Austin. I miss Capone and his Chicago stuff.

An awful lot of good to great moves came from mediocre source material.

That said,
a) I don't think this would work as a movie
b) I can't see the hook for Nolan. Seems very outside his body of work, except for the VR. And that isn't really the hook for the book-- the nostalgia and the reader identification are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom