• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Super Mario 3D World be the beginning of the turnaround for Wii U?

FyreWulff

Don't think so. Nintendo insists to use their Directs as their main source of marketing, and those are virtually unknown to people outside the gaming community. For example the latest 3D Mario trailer. It was great and showed many new and exciting mechanics. Why the hell didn't they show that at E3?

Only gamers use youtube now apparently, but if you want to reach a mass audience, you bury a game inside a short presentation you have to get up early and sit through 6 hours of other conferences to watch

Steph_E.

I think most people here are forgetting the Wii U's biggest selling title - Wii Fit U. In preparation I have just re-bought a balance board (together with WIi Fit Plus for only £20).

Okay, okay, I admit I was a bit over the top above, and in reality it may not sell that many consoles, but the free usage for a month will probably get current Wii U owners to download it, and that could take it to the top of the eshop's downloads.

ScOULaris

I don't think so. It looks like a mediocre Mario game compared to the most recent mainline entries in the series, and the Wii U is already dead in the water. It will only get worse when the PS4 and Xbone launch.

JoeM86

Only gamers use youtube now apparently, but if you want to reach a mass audience, you bury a game inside a short presentation you have to get up early and sit through 6 hours of other conferences to watch

If only they sent out press releases right afterwards with assets, post individual trailers and post about each game on their social media...

I really don't get why people think Directs are damaging. They do the Direct, then do what everyone else does right after the Direct

I don't think so. It looks like a mediocre Mario game compared to the most recent mainline entries in the series, and the Wii U is already dead in the water. It will only get worse when the PS4 and Xbone launch.

you either haven't seen the trailer or you're in dire need of a trip to the opticians

RE_Player

By turnaround you mean increase sales by a little bit over the holidays and than stabilize back to where they have been, abysmal, than yes. People have to stop bringing in Wii, DS and 3DS numbers when discussing the Wii U. While it's easy to brush off the "it will do Gamecube numbers" type of comments it's very apt for the Wii U now and going forward.

I think the game looks incredible though. I had my reservations with it not being the next true 3D Mario game but the latest Nintendo Direct really sold me.

JoeM86

By turnaround you mean increase sales by a little bit over the holidays and than stabilize back to where they have been, abysmal, than yes. People have to stop bringing in Wii, DS and 3DS numbers when discussing the Wii U. While it's easy to brush off the "it will do Gamecube numbers" type of comments it's very apt for the Wii U now and going forward.

I think the game looks incredible though. I had my reservations with it not being the next true 3D Mario game but the latest Nintendo Direct really sold me.

People said the same of the 3DS when 3D Land and Mario Kart hit...

allan-bh

To gamers, the Galaxy games were awesome and well received...but not nearly as well as New Super Mario Bros. Wii. (Starting with the Wii era) 2D Mario games almost always outsell 3D Mario games.

Wii U already has a 2D Mario game. I don't see a new 2D/3D Mario changing the situation. A big new Mario 3D like Galaxy could have more impact at the moment.

Anyway, the real system sellers arrive in 2014. Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
3D Land is for 3DS.
Mario Kart on DS helped make Wii's version the sales monster it became.
I'm pretty sure 3D Land will be such a catalyst, on smaller proportions.
I see a lot of kids thanks to my girls, their classmates and cousins. I can tell you Mario 3D land holds a special place in their library, next to Skylander, Pokemon and Animal Crossing.

When Nintendo starts running ads for this game, kids will want it, it's as simple as that. Now Nintendo still need to convince their parents. Thus games like WiiFit U, Joysound Karaoke, Wii Sports Club and Wii Party U.

Then, knowing 1. the market is saturated by now for previous consoles, and 2. this fall will enjoy an insane amount of videogame ads from MS, Sony and Nintendo, and there will be a sentiment it's a good time to upgrade, parents will look at their options. Wii U being the most affordable console out of the new consoles should give it a lot of sales.

RE_Player

What are you expecting for a "turnaround" exactly? 3DS numbers?

The parallel you gave in this situation is flawed. The 3DS did not have a holiday yet, the Wii U has already had one and is entering it's second. The 3DS was not even on the market for one year. We are approaching the one year mark for Wii U. Most importantly, the 3DS did not have any direct competitors launching when 3D Land was released. The PS4 and Xbox One will and have already taken the conversation away from the Wii U in both the enthusiast and development community.

It's a huge mistake to assume that the market for the 360/PS3 will collapse this fall. With GTA5, I expect to see another big holiday with parents buying them as affordable options for kids. People seem to still believe in this huge market just waiting for the next Wii Sports and Wii Fit, but I really don't see that and especially don't see those people wanting to drop 300 dollars on said system.

flkraven

Edit: Turnaround meaning significantly more than what it's selling now. It's at what, 50k a month or something? Double, triple, quadruple that a month basically.

Was discussing with a friend earlier about the Wii U's prospects given the coming launch of the Xbox One and PS4 and the topic moved into the upcoming titles coming in the next couple months for the console.

Obviously at the forefront is SM3DW. I'm of the opinion that it's exactly the killer app the Wii U needs, coupled with a recent price drop, and hopefully (keyword) an uptick in marketing. My friend disagreed and that the ship has already sailed. However with SM3DW, it's really the only major, major exclusive that differentiates it from the other 2 this holiday. Most of the other games are also on competitor consoles sans Sonic: Lost World and things like Wii Party U which are only on the Wii U but realistically those won't do a damn thing.

Thoughts?

Full Disclosure: This is coming from a huge Nintendo fan. I have purchased every console at launch EXCEPT the Wii U, and I have no plans on owning one for the forseable future.

I have no clue what Nintendo is doing this generation. Their biggest issues IMO has been messaging and being unprepared for this gen.

Nintendo released the Wii U console clearly targeting the same group that purchased a Wii. Similar design and focus on casuals, with a new 'gimmick' and functionality for all the old peripherals.

The problem is that most of these Wii owners/casuals had no idea what the heck a Wii U was. Nintendo came out with peripheral after peripheral: 'This game comes with a Wii-Mote', 'This game comes with Wii Motion Plus add-on', 'This game comes with a balance board', 'This game comes with Wii Speak'. In the end, everyone thought the Wii U was just another optional peripheral. Even now many casuals still think the Wii U is a tablet add-on for their Wii.

On top of that, it is released with nearly no defining software. A bunch of old multiplats ported over and almost none of the Nintendo staples that move consoles. Even Nintendoland is no Wii Sports when it comes to universal casual appeal.

Now ignoring their fairly weak release schedule over the past year, we fast forward to Super Mario 3D World. I don't own a Wii U, so I would be Nintendo's market for this turnaround, and again all I see is messaging issues or a game struggling to find its identity. I don't know what this game is. Is it a spirtual successor to NSMB? Or is this a new line of sequels in the same line as SMG? Is this a sequel to the DS game? Is this something entirely new? As a casual observer, this does not look like Nintendo's next killer 3D platformer.

And bringing it full circle, I can repeat that I have no idea what Nintendo is doing. They would move infinitely more consoles if they release Super Mario Galaxy 3, a formal sequel to Super Mario 64, Super Mario RPG 2, or a new, full 3D focused platformer. Hell, if they just renamed THIS GAME to Super Mario World 3, and marketed it as a successor to the SNES games it would do a ton better. Instead we are in marketing limbo, and I have no idea why I should want this game. I'm sure it will be fun as Nintendo makes good games, but this isn't convincing me to spend $300+.

JoeM86

What are you expecting for a "turnaround" exactly? 3DS numbers?

The parallel you gave in this situation is flawed. The 3DS did not have a holiday yet, the Wii U has already had one and is entering it's second. The 3DS was not even on the market for one year. We are approaching the one year mark for Wii U. Most importantly, the 3DS did not have any direct competitors launching when 3D Land was released. The PS4 and Xbox One will and have already taken the conversation away from the Wii U in both the enthusiast and development community.

Of course not. I expect less than that. All I'm saying is that it's irrational and illogical to assume that Super Mario 3D World won't make the console have an uptick

gogoud

It's a huge mistake to assume that the market for the 360/PS3 will collapse this fall. With GTA5, I expect to see another big holiday with parents buying them as affordable options for kids. People seem to still believe in this huge market just waiting for the next Wii Sports and Wii Fit, but I really don't see that and especially don't see those people wanting to drop 300 dollars on said system.

There is a market waiting for next wii sports and wii fit. Early adopters are super hardcore to the max gamers. I fear there will be a slowdown after psxo come launching out of the gate. I hope it won't happen. Ps360 is still going strong and it also has the multiplat titles hitting the psxo. It may not be enough for late adopters to fork out more money on games they can have at a cheaper price.

Instro

Which were followed by important 3rd party titles on a system that never came close to selling this poorly, and had already seen a substantial boost in sales from a big price cut.

There is a market waiting for next wii sports and wii fit. Early adopters are super hardcore to the max gamers. I fear there will be a slowdown after psxo come launching out of the gate. I hope it won't happen. Ps360 is still going strong and it also has the multiplat titles hitting the psxo. It may not be enough for late adopters to fork out more money on games they can have at a cheaper price.

Is there? Was there a big audience waiting for the next Nintendogs and Brain Age? These types of game audiences are very transient. Not only that, but the fact that people must buy an expensive system to experience these games is a huge limiting factor especially when there is more and more technology entertainment competiton that is cheaper.

RE_Player

Of course not. I expect less than that. All I'm saying is that it's irrational and illogical to assume that Super Mario 3D World won't make the console have an uptick

Yeah an uptick for sure.

What will be interesting is Q1 of next year for Nintendo. If they can get Donkey Kong, Smash and Mario Kart out early next year, about the time when the PS4 and Xbox One will have a drought after blowing their launch load, they could make the Wii U very attractive.

Yeah an uptick for sure.

What will be interesting is Q1 of next year for Nintendo. If they can get Donkey Kong, Smash and Mario Kart out early next year, about the time when the PS4 and Xbox One will have a drought after blowing their launch load, they could make the Wii U very attractive.

Smash won't be out til late next year.

3D Land will likely sell more than the Galaxy games ever did, when all is said and done.

Doesn't mean 3DWorld will have the same effect on WiiU. Just like NSMBU.
An original core concept (aka not 3D Land sequel) would have ultimately helped the console much more, giving the thing somewhat of an identity which it is still lacking with such games (nothing but ,,safe bets'').

spekkeh

Banned
If only they sent out press releases right afterwards with assets, post individual trailers and post about each game on their social media...

I really don't get why people think Directs are damaging. They do the Direct, then do what everyone else does right after the Direct

Only nobody clicks on news items of Nintendo stuff because in their mind Nintendo has already given up anyway.

Mihos

Gold Member
I am so tired of Mario as a charactor right now, that even though it looks great, I still can't get that excited about it. I am going on a complete Mario hunger strike until then so I don't get too cynical by release day.

roddur

wii U will never have a turnaround. i'll crawl slowly but will never get up and walk/run.
i, very much want to see it run

spekkeh

Banned
I think the same was stated about minecraft and mario.

Difference is that Mario has maintained his position for 28 years now and has spawned a lot of successful spinoffs.

Angry Birds has been in the market for 4 years now and the sequels have the exact same gameplay.
Of course Mario is and probably forever will be incomparable in terms of legacy. But that's not going to help them now.

Bgamer90

Banned
Yeah an uptick for sure.

With games like Titanfall, Infamous, and multiple multiplats, I highly doubt that there will be a drought after launch.

I see many people saying it but when looking at release dates for future games, I just don't see it. This current gen being so long has seemed to benefit next gen in terms of this area.

Anyway, Mario 3D will definitely give the Wii U attention; however, I don't think it's going to turn things around for the Wii U that much. The game will be coming out at the same time as major next gen console launches and games.

I can't see tons of people paying $300+ for a Wii U just to play Mario when there will be so many other new consoles with more content during the same time.

I think that if Nintendo could have had Mariokart 8 ready for this holiday they could have had a revival similar to the 3DS, but without it I'm not so sure they're in the same position they were then. Regardless, the bundles, SM3DW, the price, and all the other already released exclusives should make it at least moderately attractive to quite a few consumers.

I know I'm ready to jump in (just waiting to see how much money I make from flipping a couple PS4s and XBONEs).

I think a big issue with Mario is we're just getting too much, which is diluting each title's impact. We got NSMBWii (2009), Super Mario Galaxy 2 (2010), 3D Land (2011) and then one year later NSMBDS2, NSMBU and one year later NSLU and now 3D World. I think Nintendo needs to put a mandatory gap of at least two years between mainline Mario titles per platform. Mario games need to be events, not yearly iterations.

I think a big issue with Mario is we're just getting too much, which is diluting each title's impact. We got NSMBWii (2009), Super Mario Galaxy 2 (2010), 3D Land (2011) and then one year later NSMBDS2, NSMBU and one year later NSLU and now 3D World. I think Nintendo needs to put a mandatory gap of at least two years between mainline Mario titles per platform. Mario games need to be events, not yearly iterations.
/remembers when they used to be events, once in a blue moon. These days there's probably a sweatshop inside NCL pumping these out in poor working conditions.

bozeman

I think Nintendo needs to arrange their release schedule better. They launch the system with NSMBU when they had just released NSMB2 on the DS a couple of months before. This year, they've got 3D Mario and an exclusive, impressive looking 3D Sonic at the same time. If marketed right (I'm talking ads on Modern Family and other hit network shows), Sonic could get some attention. But right now I don't see any possible way Sonic Lost World doesn't get overlooked in favor of 3D World (jesus, they even both have "world" in the title...).

Damn, you caught an elusive 3rd party exclusive that doesn't look like ass and did whatever you could to kill it. Maybe beg Sega to move it to March??? As it stands, I'll probably be able to buy it in March for $20.

At least Batman:Arkham Origins will be $10 less on WiiU...

Bkey

Banned
I think it could be if stores run black Friday deals of like 199 for a Wii U. That in combination with a new Mario I could see a large increase in sales. I think it could happen.....man I really wish it was Mario Kart instead of 3D Mario coming out this year.

They wont make the numbers they made with the Wii. But I have to agree with the majority and state that with the release of Mario Kart and Smash Brothers things will pick up. Nintendo just has to realize that they are niche this generation and capitalize on that and not sweat the dwindling 3rd party support.

I think Nintendo needs to arrange their release schedule better. They launch the system with NSMBU when they had just released NSMB2 on the DS a couple of months before. This year, they've got 3D Mario and an exclusive, impressive looking 3D Sonic at the same time. If marketed right (I'm talking ads on Modern Family and other hit network shows), Sonic could get some attention. But right now I don't see any possible way Sonic Lost World doesn't get overlooked in favor of 3D World (jesus, they even both have "world" in the title...).

Damn, you caught an elusive 3rd party exclusive that doesn't look like ass and did whatever you could to kill it. Maybe beg Sega to move it to March??? As it stands, I'll probably be able to buy it in March for $20.

At least Batman:Arkham Origins will be $10 less on WiiU...

I think its fairly obvious NSMB2 was rushed out to give the 3ds xl launch some company seeing as how the western release schedule was a bit barren and sales still a bit low, if I were to guess at the original plan we probably weren't supposed to get nsmb2 til this xmas coming

that would've given a years gap after nsmbu and also spaced it two years after 3d land (which it has undoubtedly cannibalised at least a bit)

Kyzer

Banned
I think a lot of you guys are being extremely shortsighted. Over the course of the next 3-4 years a lot could happen. Wii U could hit that 199.99 price by the time smash releases and theyll make plenty of money.

I think it could be if stores run black Friday deals of like 199 for a Wii U. That in combination with a new Mario I could see a large increase in sales. I think it could happen.....man I really wish it was Mario Kart instead of 3D Mario coming out this year.

I think a lot of you guys are being extremely shortsighted. Over the course of the next 3-4 years a lot could happen. Wii U could hit that 199.99 price by the time smash releases and theyll make plenty of money.

I just don't see Nintendo going to the $200 price point. That is to close to the 3DS price.

Elios83

I honestly don't think so, Mario was on Gamecube as well and this episode for Wii U isn't even innovative, it's basically a sequel to the 3D Land game on 3DS. It's not like they put in a lot of design effort like with Mario64 or Galaxy, they just needed to have a Mario game out and they used what they already had.
The best thing that could happen for Wii U at this point is catching up with Gamecube in terms of success but it will be very hard. I'm seeing it more likely at 10-15m units LTD.

phanphare

Banned
I honestly don't think so, Mario was on Gamecube as well and this episode for Wii U isn't even innovative, it's basically a sequel to the 3D Land game on 3DS. It's not like they put in a lot of design effort like with Mario64 or Galaxy, they just needed to have a Mario game out and they used what they already had.
The best thing that could happen for Wii U at this point is catching up with Gamecube in terms of success but it will be very hard. I'm seeing it more likely at 10-15m units LTD.
so you didn't see the new trailer and gameplay demos from 3D World? got it

not innovative???? have you not seen the trailer?????????????

Zarovitch

If you think the next Mario is just sequel from 3D Land with no innovation.
You need to explain what innovation you see in other sequels.

The Wii U needs only to drop in price and have consistent ace games from Nintendo to "turn around" - if by "turn around", we mean "not sell ridiculously low amounts".

At $250 or less for these bundles with real TV advertising showing these games, the thing would sell. If Wii U games released for $50 rather than $60, and the ads showed that, the thing would sell. With 3D World, Pikmin 3, Wii Sports Club, Zelda and so on, the thing will sell.

Now if we're talking about some crazy god-tier OG Wii style sales...well, historically Nintendo is always one hit away from something like that. If anyone can develop that game that captures the zeitgeist instantly, it's them...but that's the only way they're going to get that level of sales - and even if they make that game, the effect will be limited by the price and the marketing.

No, I don't think any game will, unless NIntendo pull off a new crazy title like Wii Sports or Wii Fit. But I believe the Wii U will slowly find its pace as the good titles will come out (Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Zelda, etc...) and as its price will shrink.

The Wii U needs only to drop in price and have consistent ace games from Nintendo to "turn around" - if by "turn around", we mean "not sell ridiculously low amounts".

At $250 or less for these bundles with real TV advertising showing these games, the thing would sell. If Wii U games released for $50 rather than $60, and the ads showed that, the thing would sell. With 3D World, Pikmin 3, Wii Sports Club, Zelda and so on, the thing will sell.

Now if we're talking about some crazy god-tier OG Wii style sales...well, historically Nintendo is always one hit away from something like that. If anyone can develop that game that captures the zeitgeist instantly, it's them...but that's the only way they're going to get that level of sales - and even if they make that game, the effect will be limited by the price and the marketing.

quite a few games do seem to get released at 50 for it, maybe only a minority but it seems more common than on other systems

Fabrik

Banned
I'm not sure of anything anymore.
I would have been more confident with SM3DW and MK8 releasing one or two months apart.

-Eddman-

It certainly worked for Twilight Princess in 2004.

Top Bottom