• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will the CPU of Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 be weaker than say an i7 2600 3.4Ghz cpu?

Knightime_X

Me and a buddy had a conversation about next gen cpu and how they stack up compared to the CPU's we currently have in our rigs.
Sure our cpu chips are old but have been holding up fantastically and haven't the need to upgrade yet.
He said he thinks next gen consoles will be on par with an AMD chipset that I completely forgot the name to.

Which makes me wonder...
Will gen 9 consoles have stronger cpus than an i7 2600?

I really really hope so but keeping my hype in check because the performance of an i7 2600 has been too good to be true for all the games I play which is everything old and new.

GHG

Gold Member
Doubt it considering the advancements AMD have made on the CPU side over the last 5 years or so.

As far as I know zen 2 is already all but confirmed for next gen consoles.

ethomaz

Banned
It will probably not use the Zen 2 desktop but a capped mobile version.

So yes most Desktop CPUs will indeed be stronger than CPUs on next-gen consoles but the difference will be insignificant compared with the gap we had with Jaguar and modern CPUs.

Now about the Intel 2600 is hard to mensure.

Last edited:

Knightime_X

Twice the cores, far better IPC than a 2600.
giphy.gif

ZywyPL

Banned
Tricky question if you ask me - Jaguar CPU found in current-gen consoles is an equivalent of a couple of years old 2C/2T Celeron, so no wonder 2600K is waaay more enough to play any game out there.

So the question is what exactly will the new consoles use? 8C Zen2 that's confirmed, around 3.5GHz clock based on all the recent rumors, OK, but the big and really important question is whether they'll use multi-threadding or not?

Because in the newest games the distance between physical and logical cores starts to vanish, take latest CoD for example, where a 4C/8T CPU performs exactly the same as 8C/8T CPU.

So if the trend continues, and the new consoles won't utilize multi-threadding, I recon that an eventual OC would be more than enough to keep up with next-gen games at 60FPS.

Spencer said the CPU in XBX is 4x more powerful, so a simple math indicates it won't use multi-threadding?

adamosmaki

who knows? I dont expect them to rival a modern day ryzen 5/7 in a €500 box with limited thermals. They are gonna be a huge improvement over current gen but people expecting a fully fledge ryzen 5/7 will be in for a disappointment. most likely they will be cut down versions with less cache memory lower speeds and some features disabled

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
who knows? I dont expect them to rival a modern day ryzen 5/7 in a €500 box with limited thermals. They are gonna be a huge improvement over current gen but people expecting a fully fledge ryzen 5/7 will be in for a disappointment. most likely they will be cut down versions with less cache memory lower speeds and some features disabled
right. people heard Zen 2 and think they are getting a 3700X in their next gen console lol.

it'll be a low powered APU, low clock speeds, and maybe no SMT. as longdi's post above. i expect those will be very close to what we should expect in next gen consoles.

Armorian

Banned
right. people heard Zen 2 and think they are getting a 3700X in their next gen console lol.

it'll be a low powered APU, low clock speeds, and maybe no SMT. as longdi's post above. i expect those will be very close to what we should expect in next gen consoles.

Console cpus won't be as strong as pc parts but they will be way closer to pc celling then ever, and if they are 8/16 most pc cpus will have hard time playing next gen games (everything below 12 threads). 30 fps console game that is limited by cpu (open world with crazy physics etc.) won't even run 60 on best pc cpus (unless it utilizes more than 16 threads), next gen is not gonna be fun for ultra high framerate enthusiasts.

PhoenixTank

Because in the newest games the distance between physical and logical cores starts to vanish, take latest CoD for example, where a 4C/8T CPU performs exactly the same as 8C/8T CPU.
This reads more like a persuasive argument for the chips to use SMT, from where I'm sitting.
Unless they are trash tier silicon, I can't see why this would be disabled at a hardware level.

chigstoke

Surely they won’t disable SMT on the next gen consoles? I don’t think anyone can realistically expect a 3700x tier CPU in the systems but surely we’ll be getting at least 8c/8t cpu if not 8/16. Just doesn’t seem to me to make sense to disable SMT when it will be so beneficial for games coming out today.

As for the 2600k, 2x the cores and the increase in IPC, can’t see the 2600k being better than the whatever we get in the next gen systems.

Shin

Banned
Thankfully not this time around, the i7 2600 was launched in 2011 (as per Intel's ARK website).
Despite it being a desktop counterpart vs a mobile comparison, the differences, time-span and everything in between is too large.
To sum it up, the CPU should be more than capable of, the expected frequency lies around 3.2 - 3.5GHz+ for the consoles also.

rofif

Banned
Went from 2500k to 3700x. Even per core performance is 2 to 3 times of single core on 2500k... Not to mention crazy multicore performance

pawel86ck

Banned
Tricky question if you ask me - Jaguar CPU found in current-gen consoles is an equivalent of a couple of years old 2C/2T Celeron, so no wonder 2600K is waaay more enough to play any game out there.

So the question is what exactly will the new consoles use? 8C Zen2 that's confirmed, around 3.5GHz clock based on all the recent rumors, OK, but the big and really important question is whether they'll use multi-threadding or not?

So if the trend continues, and the new consoles won't utilize multi-threadding, I recon that an eventual OC would be more than enough to keep up with next-gen games at 60FPS.

Spencer said the CPU in XBX is 4x more powerful, so a simple math indicates it won't use multi-threadding?
Detroit is almost unplayabe on 4 Core CPU without HT.

quest

Not Banned from OT
It will surpass the i7 2600 by every metric.

Next gen consoles are getting extremely decent CPU's this time around.
Exactly these will be very solid CPUs 8c/16t custom mobile variants. The biggest question is how much cache did they each cut to save die space for the GPU. It won't match a desktop but won't be embarrassing and hold back these beasts in the least unlike last generation. Can't wait for holiday 2020 and the beginning of the end of the jaguar.

ethomaz

Banned
Went from 2500k to 3700x. Even per core performance is 2 to 3 times of single core on 2500k... Not to mention crazy multicore performance
You won’t get a 3700x on any console.
You will get mobile capped CPUs based in Zen 2 Arch.

And you are false about the 2-3 times claim lol... way wrong... the single thread performance between 2500k and 3700x ia close to each other.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
That's not true.
You won’t get a 3700x on any console.
You will get mobile capped CPUs based in Zen 2 Arch.

And you are false about the 2-3 times claim lol... way wrong... the single thread performance between 2500k and 3700x ia close to each other.
I've measured it myself with cpu z and cinebench r15 (r20 is for multicore only). In cpu-Z 2500k running at 4.5ghz got about 240 score single core and 3700x gets 505 score. SINGLE CORE. That's over 2x the performance.
Sure it's not 2 or 3 times the performance gains IN GAMES but in cpu benchmarks, the single core is in fact at least 2x on 3700x compared to 2500k. the ipc is just this much better on ryzen 3700x.

I agree that we will not get 3700x in consoles. Of course not

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I've measured it myself with cpu z and cinebench r15 (r20 is for multicore only). In cpu-Z 2500k running at 4.5ghz got about 240 score single core and 3700x gets 505 score. SINGLE CORE. That's over 2x the performance.
Sure it's not 2 or 3 times the performance gains IN GAMES but in cpu benchmarks, the single core is in fact at least 2x on 3700x compared to 2500k. the ipc is just this much better on ryzen 3700x.

I agree that we will not get 3700x in consoles. Of course not
Still you can see it doing...

400 at 4Ghz: http://valid.x86.fr/bench/gapij6
1300 at 3.3Ghz: http://valid.x86.fr/bench/81v797

CPU-Z for bench is basically useless.

3700x has maybe a 10% better single-core performance at the same clock than 2500k but most difference showed in real bench will be the higher frequency of the 3700x.

Last edited:
No

1 - Ryzen 2 has a much better IPC than these old Intel CPUs (classics of their time).

2 - Twice the cores and thread.

3 - everything around the CPU is faster (memory, SSD interface, busses, etc.)

ethomaz

Banned
maybe my setup was busted then... or 1333mhz memory was limiting it.
Memory plays a big factor in CPU performance.

To be fair people makes the increase in Rysen IPC from old AMD’s arch’s something in 2-3x magnitude but in reality the Ryzen’s IPC jumped about 60-70% (less than 2x).

That was enough to put it IPC on pair (even that still a bit lower) than actual Intel CPU IPC in single-core.

The difference between IPC of an actual Intel CPU and 2500k in single core is probably less than 30%.

Last edited:

nkarafo

3700x has maybe a 10% better single-core performance at the same clock than 2500k but most difference showed in real bench will be the higher frequency of the 3700x.
So that means i won't see a big jump in single core performance considering i now have an i5 4670 CPU?

Techies

That CPU bottlenecks a 1070ti by about 5%.
When I got my 1080ti ir ran the same as my 1070ti,

Last edited:

Techies

So that means i won't see a big jump in single core performance considering i now have an i5 4670 CPU?

He is incorrect. Too make things simple, just get 9th gen intel or new Ryzen and you'll be fine if you ever go past a 1060 class gpu. What came with that generation is also increased memory frequency.

It'd be absolutely embarrassing if PS5 and XSEX had CPUs that couldn't outperform a CPU from 2011, just saying....

I wonder what the bottleneck will be now.

This gen it was the CPUs. Previous gen was the low RAM.

There's always a bottleneck.

Ray-tracing. Both systems implementing ray-tracing means they have to take away resources from something else, and most games next gen will only use it in trace or supplementary amounts at most. Most people will probably barely be able to tell it's there, and for...what, exactly?

Yeah, it's probably gonna be the bottleneck.

Last edited:

Romulus

Console cpus won't be as strong as pc parts but they will be way closer to pc celling then ever

This. Console devs are pros at optimizing too. Getting 1440p+ and 60fps with many games using a CPU that's worse than an I3 lmao. Now, they're suddenly getting zen2.

The power increase while massive, the closed optimization part is the most exciting part of all of this. They'll push that zen2 too beyond what we think its capable of.

I mean, go try and run Gears 5 or Forza 7 at 60fps, high settings, 1540p and native 4k respectively with an I3 or less. Lots of other examples too.

SmokSmog

i7 2600 stock 600points cb r15

console rumorred 3.2ghz 8c/16t will score 1690 points
I have 3700x cpu and tested it at 3.2 ghz 1000mv
End of story.

Ryzen 4700u has only 8c without HT and 2.2ghz base cause of 15W TDP limit, this is laptop super low power version.

4700u is just 3700x without ht and with crippled clocks

Last edited:

nkarafo

Unless you have heavy workload in your PC you won’t see noticeable difference.
Im mostly use the PC for emulation. Emulators rely on IPC and rarely use more than 2 cores. With my next build, i need something to give me a nice jump in performance over my current 4th gen i5. Which is why i don't know if i should invest to intel or AMD, though i won't make a new build before DDR5 RAM becomes mainstream.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

No way, largely by virtue of having twice the cores, and the slightly better IPC offsetting if they run at more tamped down clock speeds (won't be much lower than the 2600 though)

petran79

Banned
Im mostly use the PC for emulation. Emulators rely on IPC and rarely use more than 2 cores. With my next build, i need something to give me a nice jump in performance over my current 4th gen i5. Which is why i don't know if i should invest to intel or AMD, though i won't make a new build before DDR5 RAM becomes mainstream.

Emulators usually improve with each version and an i5 would be fine in majority of cases, unless you go for high end emulation like complex PS3 or Xbox360 games. Which would be risky without save states too.

ethomaz

Banned
Well if you are trying to emulate PS3 then you will indeed need the top of top CPU even so you will have tons of performance issues.

Everything else your CPU is good enough imo... GPU should be your focus if you don’t have one strong enough.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Console cpus won't be as strong as pc parts but they will be way closer to pc celling then ever, and if they are 8/16 most pc cpus will have hard time playing next gen games (everything below 12 threads). 30 fps console game that is limited by cpu (open world with crazy physics etc.) won't even run 60 on best pc cpus (unless it utilizes more than 16 threads), next gen is not gonna be fun for ultra high framerate enthusiasts.

There is no such thing as a PC ceiling.
New CPUs will keep coming out every year with better performance and more threads. Just look at the jump from Zen to Zen 2. I think high frame rate enthusiasts will be fine.

The console CPUs will be much closer to midrange PC than the ones last gen were but it’s pretty much impossible for them not to be.

Romulus

New CPUs will keep coming out every year with better performance and more threads. Just look at the jump from Zen to Zen 2. I think high frame rate enthusiasts will be fine.

The console CPUs will be much closer to midrange PC than the ones last gen were but it’s pretty much impossible for them not to be.

I think maybe he's referring to at launch the PC ceiling. Sure it's always evolving, but we'll be getting consoles every 3 years now too and that will lessen the gap even more. They'll never ne able compete with yearly improvements of course but it's a great step.

Last edited:

Allandor

I upgraded from a Ivy 3570k to a Ryzen 2600 last year. This was the biggest jump for quite some time my system made. Even the jump from the prior system to the ivy was not that big (Core 2 Quad Q9550 -> i5 3570k). First time since a long time that you really felt a performance uplift.

So yes, CPU-performance increase should be quite significant with the next get consoles with Zen 2 bases CPUs. But I really except 30 fps games all over again ;)
It is just easier for developers to reach stable 30 fps with more powerfull CPUs. They must optimize less in most titles.

Armorian

Banned

On the intel side - core clocks and IPC have been stagnant for years now (nince SL), they just started to add more cores recently. AMD was way behind the curve and they just achived parity with Intel this year. Next cpus from both companies won't be that much better than what they currently have (few % in IPC maybe) and I doubt games will scale above 16 threads (just like we still have 4 core games in 2019) so running next gen games in 60fps+ on PC will be much harder than in last 6 years when pc cpus were up to few times more powerful than Jaguar, now it's not even close to 2x.

Kenpachii

3700 demolishes a 2600k with 2x the performance at least on single core solutions. Let alone multicore solutions.

Consoles will stomp all over a 2600k next generation if they use 3700 cpu's.

Last edited:
Top Bottom