• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will the PC version of Forza Horizon 3 support HDR?

scitek

We know the console version will, but I'd much rather play the game in 4K with HDR since I hopefully have the hardware to do it. Has there been any mention of this anywhere?

Lister

Banned
We know the console version will, but I'd much rather play the game in 4K with HDR since I hopefully have the hardware to do it. Has there been any mention of this anywhere?

I think the last word is no. At least not at release.

So you'll have to choose, actual 4K, or whatever the Xbox runs it at upscaled to 4K with HDR.

Have you checked your HDR TV's input latency wiht HDR on? Only a few of the latest models don't introduce a ton of latency, makign games with HDR kind of a non starter for those sets.

mcrommert

Banned
PC GPU's support HDR (at least the latest forn Nvidia and AMD) if that's what you mena. And a lot of people have their gmaing PC's hooked up to their TV.

Sure...but as of now not a single released game supports HDR and i think only pascal has announced support for it

So it wont' be supported

PC GPU's support HDR (at least the latest forn Nvidia and AMD) if that's what you mena. And a lot of people have their gmaing PC's hooked up to their TV.

I was wondering about that. I've got a GTX 1080 hooked up to my UHD TV. So sounds like all that is missing is support in the games themselves? Or am I missing something?

scitek

I think the last word is no. At least not at release.

So you'll have to choose, actual 4K, or whatever the Xbox runs it at upscaled to 4K with HDR.

Have you checked your HDR TV's input latency wiht HDR on? Only a few of the latest models don't introduce a ton of latency, makign games with HDR kind of a non starter for those sets.

Yes and it's awful, but I would still like to try it out.

Doikor

There is no hdr support on pc or monitors that support it

We might not have monitors that have some certificate of supporting hdr but I can guarantee you that monitors with better/same color specs then your HDR tv do exists. Probably not very common. The ones I've seen are mostly for professionals working in print media. Also on what monitors did you think they developed this HDR content on for your console game? Or master the HDR version of the movie?

martino

Sure...but as of now not a single released game supports HDR and i think only pascal has announced support for it

So it wont' be supported

i know we must make like it don't exist because too difficult for most people to use and not fair to compare but when enougth people will have hdr display the community will bring it to a lot of games.
but forza is uwp...

pa22word

First of all, I really don't see why you would bump this particular thread for that question. That said, when did Nvidia make a "big deal" about HDR?

This is wrong, as of now.
No, I don't think so. I have a 980ti and it only supports DisplayPort 1.2, and 1.3 is required for hdr so....

Sanctuary

Can you elaborate on this?

Still not implemented on this game, but it still shows that it's being worked on (or at least was...). It's also highly unlikely that it's just this single game either.

https://developer.nvidia.com/implementing-hdr-rise-tomb-raider

What is with the obsession with HDR now?

Probably because the consoles are going to have games in HDR, and it would be extremely odd for it to be a console exclusive feature. Mass Effect: Andromeda is just one example of a game that's been announced to have it on the PS Pro at least, and a lot of people will be getting it on PC. It also says that it will support HDR on "supported platforms" and doesn't just say "PS4".

Momentary

Banned
Is HDR supposed to be some check box you click in the game? I thought HDR was implemented through the actual TV?

Speaking of Alien Isolation... I'm going to download it right now to check it out on this Titan Pascal.

Hawk269

I was wondering about that. I've got a GTX 1080 hooked up to my UHD TV. So sounds like all that is missing is support in the games themselves? Or am I missing something?

The HDMI ports on the 1080 have the bandwidth to handle it and the GPU supports it, so it comes down to developers supporting it as well. Like many, I have my gaming PC hooked up to a 4k set that also does HDR, so hopefully it is something they can add to the game.

Vuze

Is HDR supposed to be some check box you click in the game? I thought HDR was implemented through the actual TV?
There might be people who prefer to play in SDR despite owning a HDR-capable display. So I'm pretty sure it will be an opt-in feature.

RE topic, I sorta missed this.
I wouldn't expect it. XboxDE told me PC version will support it, then shortly after backpaddled (as they always do) and just told me FH3 will run at native 4k (???) on PC instead. Thanks for not using Quantum Break-upscaling shit I guess

Polaris is amd's hdr start point I'm pretty sure.

The R9 300 series supposedly support it to some degree.

The good news is that HDR support doesn’t necessarily require a new GPU. AMD claims that all Radeon R9 300-series cards will be able to support HDR up to 4K 30FPS at 10-bits thought HDMI 1.4b and DisplayPort 1.2. To fully support 4K at 60 FPS with 10-bit color, the next-generation of Radeon GPUs will be required.

6XSEceh.jpg

2016 GPUs are the Polaris GPUs.

Durante

It's a new color/luminosity display standard that gives a nice quality bump with little to no performance cost on compatible hardware. Outside of the price of displays, it's not a niche novelty like 3D or VR.
You're right, it's an incremental improvement, not nearly as novel as VR which is an entirely new medium.

You can incrementally improve VR by making the displays HDR, I'm sure second or third generation HMDs will get on that.

Sanctuary

Speaking of Alien Isolation... I'm going to download it right now to check it out on this Titan Pascal.

You can't display HDR on a TV if it's not already encoded in the game or video. It's not just a post-processing effect that a TV randomly generates.

You're right, it's an incremental improvement, not nearly as novel as VR which is an entirely new medium.

You can incrementally improve VR by making the displays HDR, I'm sure second or third generation HMDs will get on that.

It's far more than just an "incremental improvement". You don't just get HDR, you get the wider color gamut along with it (which isn't what HDR actually is), which is actually the biggest improvement to picture IQ since the color TV was first invented.

Hawk269

No one knows until FH3 comes out. But I would assume 2 things will happen. Within the Xbox One S settings, you have a check box that you can click and if your TV has HDR. For movies for example, once it detects a HDR signal that the Xbox One S sends out to the TV, the TV goes into HDR mode.

So, it will be:

1.) As game loads up and your Xbox One S has the HDR in the UI checked off, it will send the HDR signal to engage HDR on the TV as the game boots up.

-or-

2.) It is a option within the game that can be turned on/off so people can decide if they want to play in HDR or not in HDR. This would then send the signal to the TV to engage or disengage the HDR setting as the user clicks it on or off. Much like a setting with a PC game.

I personally am hoping it is #2 as I want to run some tests with it on/off to see the differences. It would be more of a pain the rear to have to go the UI to turn off HDR so it does not boot into HDR.

Durante

It's far more than just an "incremental improvement". You don't just get HDR, you get the wider color gamut along with it (which isn't what HDR actually is), which is actually the biggest improvement to picture IQ since the color TV was first invented.
Compared to VR? It's an incremental improvement to how an image is displayed on a screen.

"Incremental" doesn't mean "bad". It just means incremental.

Gestault

Oh absolutely. I meant "novelty" re: VR in the sense of its effectively a new/different market.

Vuze

Yes it will. I don't have a link handy but they confirmed it on Twitter!

The PC version will support HDR!
If you happen to think of the tweet of XboxDE I linked in the announcement thread, see above.
If you happen to think of something else, please link when you can :p

Momentary

Banned
If FH3 is encoded for HDR, why would they take it out of the PC version? It could easily be left in for those that have displays that allow for HDR.

Sanctuary

Compared to VR? It's an incremental improvement to how an image is displayed on a screen.

"Incremental" doesn't mean "bad". It just means incremental.

Compared to current VR? Yes, it's way more important and would have a much larger effect overall to more platforms than VR will. At least for now. Get back with me in 10 - 20 years, and maybe things will have changed. I know this is a gaming forum, but HDR/color gamut was primarily introduced for videos, and the difference is staggering. It wouldn't have any less of an effect for gaming, when actually implemented correctly.

Durante

Compared to current VR? Yes, it's way more important
I'll stop you there, because apparently we are talking at cross purposes.

"Incremental" doesn't mean "unimportant" either. It simply means that you are making an improvement to existing technology in an incremental way. That is exactly what HDR is.

And what VR very much is not.

Sanctuary

I'll stop you there, because apparently we are talking at cross purposes.

"Incremental" doesn't mean "unimportant" either. It simply means that you are making an improvement to existing technology in an incremental way. That is exactly what HDR is.

And what VR very much is not.

I understand what you're saying here, but it's not just an incremental upgrade. You may as well be saying that a train was an "incremental" upgrade to the horse and buggy. If we were talking about HDR in a vacuum, then you might be right. But HDR doesn't come with just HDR alone.

Durante

I understand what you're saying here, but it's not just an incremental upgrade. You may as well be saying that a train was an "incremental" upgrade to the horse and buggy.
No. If you show someone who has only ever seen a horse and buggy a train, their first thought won't be "hey, a better horse and buggy".
If you put someone in VR, their first thought won't be "hey, a better screen".
If you show someone a HDR display, their first thought will be "nice, a better display".

That's incremental improvement.

ghibli99

I understand what you're saying here, but it's not just an incremental upgrade. You may as well be saying that a train was an "incremental" upgrade to the horse and buggy. If we were talking about HDR in a vacuum, then you might be right. But HDR doesn't come with just HDR alone.
HDR doesn't change anything about a game besides the way it looks (and yes, I've seen true HDR), whereas VR -- whether you like it or not -- is pretty transformational in terms of how you interact and perceive content. Apples and oranges though, IMO.

nah, it's more equivalent to someone adding more wheels to a buggy to stabilize it. still fundamentally a buggy but you can feel/see the improvement.

Sanctuary

That's incremental improvement.

I think the problem here is your insistence in using incremental as the adjective, when HDR and Rec.2020 are anything but. They might not be "as big of a deal" to you, but that doesn't make it a mere incremental upgrade. Given the choice of the two technologies as they are today (when you also factor in current limitations), VR is the least important of the two given its immaturity. It having the potential to do more doesn't mean anything right now.

Top Bottom