• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will videogames follow woke hollywood?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Hollywood is a horror place for films. (not in a good way) Many directors and movie makers are more about pushing a message then a good quality product . I believe Wokeness is a form of racism against white people hidden under a message of diversity and inclusion. Regardless of how you feel with wokeness you have to be blind to see that products that endorse it are just failing left and right. The Walt Disney company has lost billions the last few years pushing this woke agenda garbage. There is nothing wrong with having different people in movies and products but when it becomes the main focus it ruins the product. So will we see the same trend in videogames? In Hollywood ESG and Black Rock are major factors but do not know if vidoegames have the same type of issues.

In japan almost every JRPG has some kind of gay or trans character in it, In Spiderman 2 there are a couple of missions dedicated to the woke agenda. There are other titles where characters go out of their way to reveal their sexuality or race. I personally do not give a damn who you fuck, just sick of seeing it pushed in my face.

Thoughts? Am I some blind biggot who fails to adapat to the times or are people finally sick of this woke shit pushed intot everything and maybe it will not effect the game industry as much?

Larxia

I think it's already the case for a lot of games, it's not on the same level as hollywood yet, but it's definitely present.

In some games you can look past it, but in others it's just ridiculous. The worst example for me in AAA is The Outer Worlds, because it's to the point where the woke aspect of the game will actually spoil the game for you, any character that is a white male will either be a villain or a traitor lol All the good characters are weird looking females. It's really not subtle at all and completely drives the story telling in a terrible way.

Spider-Man 2 seems to be pretty annoying with that too, I haven't played it yet but I heard things.

I do however think that while it seems like it's at its worst right now, we're starting to see a shift on the horizon. I see more and more people being annoyed by this. A few years back, a lot of people didn't dare to say anything about this, probably because being affraid of being immediatly put in an alt right case or something, but now more and more people are speaking their thoughts about this.
If that happens, if there is a sudden break in this situation and suddenly nothing has to follow politicial agendas, I think we could see a big spike of creativity and a breath of fresh air, both cinema and video games (and also comics, music, all type of medias really...). This culture really has to stop.

Larxia

I dont know about all western games, but I'm 99% sure Marvel will.
Comics are insanely affected by this. I don't really know why, but I remember them being the first type of media in the "pop culture" domain to show this kind of thing. And not just Marvel, also DC and other publishers like Boom Comics, they all went super hard in the woke thing quite early, before movies and games.

Woopah

Gaming used to be not that great at having all types of people in them. But it's getting much better and there are fewer barriers.

Has this stopped white people appearing in games? Not at all.

It's perfectly possible for a set of games to be of a high quality and still have diverse characters, but it's up to the developers to achieve that.

This year we have seen both quality and diversity, so hopefully this is what we see in future years as well.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Comics are insanely affected by this. I don't really know why, but I remember them being the first type of media in the "pop culture" domain to show this kind of thing. And not just Marvel, also DC and other publishers like Boom Comics, they all went super hard in the woke thing quite early, before movies and games.
Its just not them, just look at Disney's CG movies....this is the direction they are going.

Kuranghi

I think it's already the case for a lot of games, it's not on the same level as hollywood yet, but it's definitely present.

In some games you can look past it, but in others it's just ridiculous. The worst example for me in AAA is The Outer Worlds, because it's to the point where the woke aspect of the game will actually spoil the game for you, any character that is a white male will either be a villain or a traitor lol All the good characters are weird looking females. It's really not subtle at all and completely drives the story telling in a terrible way.

Spider-Man 2 seems to be pretty annoying with that too, I haven't played it yet but I heard things.

I do however think that while it seems like it's at its worst right now, we're starting to see a shift on the horizon. I see more and more people being annoyed by this. A few years back, a lot of people didn't dare to say anything about this, probably because being affraid of being immediatly put in an alt right case or something, but now more and more people are speaking their thoughts about this.
If that happens, if there is a sudden break in this situation and suddenly nothing has to follow politicial agendas, I think we could see a big spike of creativity and a breath of fresh air, both cinema and video games (and also comics, music, all type of medias really...). This culture really has to stop.

Spiderman 2 is pretty hilarious, they do procedural generation for the minor city NPCs and so many non-black people have nappy hair, its quite funny, me and my flatmate laughed at it a lot throughout the game. Though the side quests are comically bad in this regard at times.

Black Cat is bisexual now, just so she can mention she has a girlfriend, it doesn't make her a more interesting character in any way, though thinking of her munching carpet or dominating a little sub isn't exactly unappealing.

Last edited:

Larxia

Spiderman 2 is pretty hilarious, they do procedural generation for the minor city NPCs and so many non-black people have nappy hair, its quite funny, me and my flatmate laughed at it a lot throughout the game. Though the side quests are comically bad in this regard at times.

Black Cat is bisexual now, just so she can say "I'm going to seem my girlfriend" or the like, though thinking of her munching carpet or dominating a little sub isn't exactly unappealing.
The NPC situation sounds ridiculous lol.

About Black Cat, yeah it's the kind of thing that I think could not really matter in a different context, like I wouldn't have thought anything about this 10 years ago, but now when you see things like this, you just sigh because you know why it's there, it never feels authentic anymore. This is where I think all this woke push culture is really counter productive, they actually make all the minorities feel more "special" rather than them being included naturally in the world, and therefore puts them in a different category. It does the opposite of what they try to do.

But what would annoy me the most is all the flags and graffitis in the city being related to monitory culture in general. I can look past a cringe dialogue, but when you're just free roaming and you're constantly reminded of that stuff just by looking around, it's more annoying.

NeoGiffer

👀

Saints-Row-Credit-Deep-Silver-Volition-4@2000x1270.jpg

Saints Row dev Volition announce closure after series reboot flopped

giphy.gif

RoboFu

One of the green rats
kids will rebel every few generations against what they are “ supposed to be “. The problem now is that those kids are now adult children as well making policy..

I just hope they rebel back to the middle and not go full on 1920s.

Last edited:

ByWatterson

It’s like any medium — plenty will be like that and others won’t be.

AAA gaming from Sony seems pretty hell bent on “inclusion”. But a game like Elden Ring doesn’t care.

Hot take?

Sony story games are inclusive in a good way! Has never felt forced to me. I actually think representation matters if it serves the story or even if it just doesn't impede it.

And none of Sony's stuff has really set off those alarms for me.

Room temperature take, ackshully.

Last edited:

Madflavor

It already has for awhile now.

I think that's a big part of what so many comic readers got pushed into reading Manga. I tried getting into comics a while ago but the constant progressive agenda pushing was annoying and distracting, and I grew so sick of characters and stories never growing beyond the status quo. Dead characters coming back to life, the universe being rebooted every 5 years, etc.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

I feel Japanese games luckily have not been affected (much) by this which is great as they are usually the ones outputting the best games every generation. I think it has to do with their isolation from the west but what do I know.
College/University.

In the West they are essentially becoming (or have already become) EDI indoctrination camps filled with poorly thought out ideas and outright lies. These graduates go on to work in the industry to implement this nonsense into the workplace and infect the arts with it. In the East it's still largely stripped down to functional skills and rote learning.

I worked at the University of Cambridge in the communications team and even a prolific instiution like that was hell bent on spreading EDI. The social sciences are now geared to useless research around it. It was hell so after 3 years I left and never looked back.

Last edited:

Larxia

and I grew so sick of characters and stories never growing beyond the status quo. Dead characters coming back to life, the universe being rebooted every 5 years, etc.
Ah yeah, that's a whole other topic not related to woke, but I totally get you on this. At some points it becomes impossible to start a comics series because you just don't know where to start and it's a never ending loop.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Gaming used to be not that great at having all types of people in them. But it's getting much better and there are fewer barriers.

Has this stopped white people appearing in games? Not at all.

It's perfectly possible for a set of games to be of a high quality and still have diverse characters, but it's up to the developers to achieve that.

This year we have seen both quality and diversity, so hopefully this is what we see in future years as well.
Diversity is great, I’m 100% for it.

It crosses the line to “woke” when you can practically tell by a character’s race/gender/sexual orientation just how sympathetic the character will be portrayed.

Madflavor

For me the absolute worst trope of any video game, movie, show, or comic that's pushing a woke agenda, is when they insert a young Gen Z minority character, who's sole purpose is to dress down the long established white male hero of the franchise, and tell him he's problematic. I can tolerate the token gay/trans character, but it's that shit that actually manages to infuriate me. This just happened with the Doctor Who 60th Anniversary.

Raonak

Banned
There is nothing wrong with having different people in movies and products but when it becomes the main focus it ruins the product.
Does your brain automatically associate anything with a minority lead as bad?

I believe Wokeness is a form of racism against white people hidden under a message of diversity and inclusion.
Man, imagine if you had to deal with actual racism in your life :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Woopah

It crosses the line to “woke” when you can practically tell by a character’s race/gender/sexual orientation just how sympathetic the character will be portrayed.
I could see that being an issue, but at least from what I've played I've not come across it. What games in particular have you seen this in?

Danjin44

The bigger issue rise when western so called "journalist" telling Japanese devs why are they not tackling western politic issues.......why should they?

They all go on about equity but in reality they think they center of the world and everyone needs to follow western culture or get criticized.

Gamer79

When does it stop?

Should we have white slaves in roots?

Should the pilots that dropped the nukes in Japan during ww2 be Asian.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
The bigger issue rise when western so called "journalist" telling Japanese devs why are they not tackling western politic issues.......why should they?

They all go on about equity but in reality they think they center of the world and everyone needs to follow western culture or get criticized.
It's a toxic hivemind with a superiority complex. To the degree if someone else does not share their ideals then they are the enemy and must be destroyed.

Metnut

Is any minority/female/lgtg character/storyline automatically woke? Gaming would be pretty boring if it was just copy/pasted white guys everywhere IMO. Let the designers do whatever vision they want. I don’t care about politics.

I guess games like Baldur Gate 3 and Cyberpunk are just woke garbage flops according to OP given all the (woke) stuff in there. Frankly, I find rants like the OP just as annoying as resetera dorks complaining every time a white male stars in a game or a female in gaming wears a revealing outfit and is attractive.

Last edited:

Gamer79

If GTA has its satire removed and goes woke then its truely the end of an era. I really fear for that trailer... When the director leaves the project, it probably means the marketing guys with MBAs won.
I am concerned that gta will be filtered by the new age crybaby and cater to wokeness. I hope not but can see it.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
It already has. But these things are pendulums. Eventually it will swing back to the other way until some inoffensive new normal middle ground is found.

Guilty_AI

A single dude with some financial support can put out an amazing game. Same can't be said for movies

That crucial difference is the reason games won't follow the current Hollywood disastrous footsteps (not fully at least). And even then its not like there aren't good non-propagandist movies coming out.

Its a similar situation with books. No matter how ridiculous the stuff that makes into the New York Times best sellers are, you can always just get into some webnovel site and find a nice novel written with actual passion behind it.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

Man, Outer Worlds felt like straight up propaganda. There’s literally one decent likeable person in the entire universe, and they made her quest about helping her gain confidence in herself as an asexual lesbian and asking her crush out on a date.

There isn’t a single hint of genuine human affection anywhere else in the game and the whole thing is almost unbearably cynical, so that quest felt so out of place. Everyone else is either some soulless corporate automaton or a sociopathic self-serving aristocrat.

Gamer79

There is a difference between woke and having a diverse cast . Too many wokies see anything against their never ending agenda and they go in defense mode.

If your too stupid to see the difference between having a quality cast regardless of race vs "the message" look in the mirror.

KàIRóS

In japan almost every JRPG has some kind of gay or trans character in it

Dead ass I can't think of a single character like that of the top of my head not saying there aren't but you're probably just thinking of all the effeminate men that Tetsuya Nomura designs, homo stuff is actually really rare in JRPGs, trust me these devs know their public and it's mostly straight men.

Last edited:

kyussman

Will they,lol........they have been there a while,have you not been paying attention.Spider-Man 2 being a recent high profile example riddled with "The Message"........just see the first game for an example of how things have changed.All this nonsense is easy enough for me to ignore,I want to be entertained not indoctrinated......I give my ££££ to those that wish entertain me and ignore those that don't.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
Woke is a stupid term because the definition can change from person to person. It basically provides a buzzword to someone that can't fully articulate their thoughts towards something they dont like, or are hiding behind its lack of a real definition to attack something.

..in my opinion.

Last edited:

Gamer79

It's a toxic hivemind with a superiority complex. To the degree if someone else does not share their ideals then they are the enemy and must be destroyed.
Its worse.

Its acting as an authority. You either think this way or say this thing or else you will be canceled, best up, etc.

Most are bullies who want to push their narrow way of thinking on you

Quantum253

More like it called out to it. And although it got mixed with the identity politics stuff, it ultimately was about the exposure of how journalists and game developers were bed with each other.
That's at least where I first started hearing about everything you see today. I would say Hollywood followed gaming culture and not the opposite.

Yikes at this thread and your premise.

From what I can tell no one even knows what 'woke' means. And things labelled as such sometimes succeed, and sometimes fail (Barbie, The Marvels) make good shit and people will consume it.

Astral Dog

Yes, they will a lot of gamers don't take this seriously but Art and commercial products are just another medium for the socialists to spread their propaganda.

Its not too bad today imo, but it won't get better

games still have a long way to match Hollywood though

Last edited:

Danjin44

Is any minority/female/lgtg character/storyline automatically woke?
Games like Nier Replicant and 13 Sentinels have gay characters but you dont see people complaining about those games being "woke".

People start complaining when they too fucking on nose about it and keeping hitting you on the head with it, its like watching bad Saturday morning cartoon and keeping hitting with the massage "dont do drugs" they basically treating their audiences as if they toddlers.

Also like I said many times western devs can make whatever the fuck they want but freedom works both ways that means Japanese devs also should be free to make whatever they want.

I dont want to see this type of shit again...
cDsWoMX.png

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
JP devs should just ignore "modern game design" and stick to making great games based on their artistic vision. I tend to play those games instead of the modernized games.

Also like I said many times western devs can make what ever the fuck they want but freedom works both ways that means Japanese devs also should be free to make whatever they want.

I dont want to see this type of shit again...
But op-ed pieces can't be about whatever the author wants? That's an odd place to draw the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom