• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Wednesday's Spider-Man 2 Gameplay Trailer be a generational leap in visual fidelity?

Will Wednesday's Spider-Man 2 Gameplay Trailer be a generational leap in visual fidelity?

• Yes, it will blow everything else away

• No, it will look incrementally better than Miles Morale

Results are only viewable after voting.

kiphalfton

Contextually compared to Insomniac's Spiderman 1 and Miles Morales? Yes, it will be.

What I really want is for them to replicate the feeling of scenes like these:

Just add a tiny bit more weight to the swinging, make the camera dynamically pull in a bit closer if it recognizes that you're only swinging and not doing combat, and make the sound design(especially the wind sounds) way better to emphasize that adrenaline rush of swinging through NY. I think that will help make it 'feel' more next gen along with the graphical jump.

And add a first person mode

The Electro fight in The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is insane. And I say this having rewatched the movie recently (i.e. it still looks better than pretty much anything released recently).

CGNoire

I agree about the weight, I really felt like something was lacking in the first game, it looks amazing and all, but I was really missing that feeling of... falling, dangerously, with a lot of adrenaline, and then suddenly swinging and stopping the fall. It's hard to explain, but it just felt more like flying I'd say, that feeling of rush that you can get when doing attractions and all, in your stomach, it's something similar to this (obviously less intense in a game) that was missing.

I think another reason for this is also that it was too assisted in my opinion, it looks perfect visually but that's also because it's very scripted and assisted, you're never in any danger of failing one of your moves, you're not at risk, so the adrenaline is obviously much less present, if at all.
I'd like a mode with more manual control, where you can play more with the physics and experiment things, similar to the ps2 games, but with today's technique and production.
Thats cause spiderman 2 2004 swinging was far superior in every way but animation quality. What you where feeling is called inertia and it wasnt really in the 2018 game. Instead the 2018 game did the same dirfy shit that EA did to Mirrors Edge Catalyst which is to say they replaced the realistic physics based inertia with a fake ass "point system" based speed bonuses whjch is completly aftifical and has no where near the level of control, nuance or believeability over real inertia. Shits sad. Dont get me started on all the endless gaslighting the gaming press pushed about how it felt the same.

CGNoire

Is it weird that I don't care? I'm not one of those "graphics don't matter" types, because they totally matter. But I'm fine with how Spidey already looks. Just give me more compelling Spidey gameplay and I'm fine.
You dont even care that there charging $10 more?

3liteDragon

Yes, with it being a PS5-only game, I’m expecting a generational leap from Spider-Man PS4. Especially after seeing the potential with Rift Apart.

Neolombax

I don't think it will be, but I'm more than happy to be proven wrong. More interested to see the gameplay improvements to be honest. I really hope its not character swapping like Rift Apart, I would rather they let us choose either Miles or Peter.

Banned
Thats cause spiderman 2 2004 swinging was far superior in every way but animation quality. What you where feeling is called inertia and it wasnt really in the 2018 game. Instead the 2018 game did the same dirfy shit that EA did to Mirrors Edge Catalyst which is to say they replaced the realistic physics based inertia with a fake ass "point system" based speed bonuses whjch is completly aftifical and has no where near the level of control, nuance or believeability over real inertia. Shits sad. Dont get me started on all the endless gaslighting the gaming press pushed about how it felt the same.

developers these days are scared to have truly dynamic systems in games.
everything needs to be neatly predetermined + context sensitive + limited.

that's partly because they want even the dumbest people to be able to "feel" like they're good at the game, but also because it makes Leveldesign and other aspects of development simpler.

same reason why in Darksiders 1 you were able to grab onto every reasonably reachable ledge, while in Darksiders 2 they limited it only to specifically marked/flagged ledges, so that they didn't need to worry about the intricacies of the Leveldesign as much.

In Spider-Man it's less about leveldesign and more about not having to deal with all the eventualities of a more open, truly dynamic swinging system with deep player control.

First of all they would need to make sure Idiot McDumbDumb who is angry that Kirby's Epic Yarn doesn't have an easy mode, still can control Spider-Man by simply holding 1 button + the stick forward... and that's already not really possible if you want true control.

then they would need to make sure their collision system, animation system and physics calculations work without issues, which is all gone in an instant when you have canned animations, limited + fully predetermined speed and a force barrier between you and the ground.

Last edited:

mdkirby

The answer is subjective and biased by the aesthetic of the games. Will it look like the reveal trailer? Yes i think it will. Is the reveal trailer a generational leap? That’s debatable . Rift apart was a generational leap, but not appreciated for it due to the cartoony style. I think Spider-Man will experience a similar reaction. When people talk about seeing generational leaps, what they usually mean is “how much closer to looking REAL” is it?…so this simply isn’t the game for that. None of Sonys games really aim for that look, except maybe the last of us, but even that has a certain style. Death stranding 2 is probably the only one going for photorealistic from Sony, and then Hellblade2 for MS. Those will be the ones going head to head for that IMO.

mrmustard

Banned
I think it will be slightly improved, but i don't expect anything jaw dropping. What the game anyhow needs more is gameplay/design improvements. Boss fights were boring/too simple, sideline activities sucked and and stealth missions were god-awful.

Last edited:

ProtoByte

I do expect noticeably better graphics, but more than that I expect the gameplay to look like it blows Spider-Man and Spider-Man Miles Morales out of the water.

SJRB

Gold Member
What even is a generational leap at this point?

It will undoubtedly look amazing and I expect the level of detail to have improved dramatically, but to the layman it probably won't look that much different to say Miles Morales.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Same level of leap between:
  • Ratchet & Clank (2016) and Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart.
  • Horizon Zero Dawn and Horizon Forbidden West Burning Shores
Just don't expect a generation leap from Rift Apart because we are still in the same generation.

Robb

Gold Member
Ratchet looks really good so hopefully they’ll be able to produce something that looks even better with Spider-Man.

Hunnybun

Developers really shouldn't be scared of color grading their games like they do in movies. The stylized look it's what makes it look good.

For instance the Matrix demo, is heavy color graded so it has that incredible film look, if you remove the color grading it looks more "gamey".

We already have the geometry/model detail, texture detail, lighting is almost there, but usually games don't have that filmic finish that makes all the difference.

It's a matter of taste. I generally hate the way modern films look.

Hunnybun

I expect it to be this gens Uncharted 4 moment.

Its coming at around the same time frame that game did.

Where studios have had enough time to fool around with the console, and leave last gen behind. Should be one of the best looking games ever made upon release.

This is the likelihood.

It's basically the first look at a huge budget next gen exclusive from a first party developer, and one with absolutely excellent technology.

Common sense says it will be spectacular.

radewagon

You dont even care that there charging $10 more?

Ummm... Not really. Graphics don't need a "generational leap" to justify a higher pricepoint. Just look at TOTK's current success. Games just need to have enough new and engaging content to do that. Like I said, the graphics were already among the best out there on Miles Morales. Also.... there's this. ⬇️

8yBBZmG.png

Last edited:

ShakenG

Went with the lower option, (incrementally better) but I'd love to be wrong.

What could make this look like a giant leap? Lighting would be my best guess because i cant see textures, draw distance, shadows, reflections having a substantial impact.
At best i can see a small improvement across the board.

Mibu no ookami Mibu no ookami I reckon all polls should be public.

Last edited:
I want the game to evolve from being somewhat of an Arkham clone to finding its own identity.

Animation of interaction needs to be next level and the graphics should look as good if not better than the last boss battle in Spider-Man 1.

the character animations will be the deciding factor for me , how they compare to naughty dogs best is what i wanna see
Went with the lower option, (incrementally better) but I'd love to be wrong.

What could make this look like a giant leap? Lighting would be my best guess because i cant see textures, draw distance, shadows, reflections having a substantial impact.
At best i can see a small improvement across the board.

Mibu no ookami Mibu no ookami I reckon all polls should be public.
Marvel's Spider-Man was great, but it really felt like a PS4 Spider-Man game, which isn't a knock on it. To that end, I'm not sure they really did anything that felt like, "hey this couldn't have been done on PS3" with just reduced resolution.

One of the biggest things for me (and something I'm worried about with the prequel comic) is that characters tend to wear masks covering thiier faces which is kind of lazy/generic. Giving more personality to these characters will go a long way.

More quips from Spider-Man that depend on what you're doing and how you're doing helps too.

But ultimately, it's going to be the animation that needs to be next level. The animations in the previous games were VERY limited. It's one of the things that really has less to do with technical power and more to do with man-hours and flexibility of the engine.

Like Spidey jumps on a truck and sits on the truck versus making the same crouched animation.

If you study Grand Theft Auto... you'll see a company that has continuously pushed the envolope time and time again. Insomniac has to get to that level with Spider-Man 2 and maybe by expectations are too high. They haven't grown to the level they'd need. You would need probably hundreds of artists and engineers just to get the amount of animation right for Spider-Man, let alone Miles, and Venom, and black suit spider-man...

scydrex

Nah. It'll be just like Ragnarok is to its prequel. I do hope they give us a snowy NY because thats always the best atmosphere.
Ragnarok is crossgen and still a ps4 game. Spidermand 2 is ps5 exclusive so it has to look better than the first one. The difference has to be at least like Burning Shore or better.
What I'm looking forward is what they do without the limits of the ps4. For example de HDD. Hated in Ragnarok those tight corridors or pasages or narrow corridors and the stuff to hide the loading to get to another area. Aside from the graphical side. Want to see how they use the power to make the gameplay, the world psychics better or improve the world with stuff and to be more lively.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Spider-Man PlayStation games are out of their minds with graphics and good enough to win game of the year every year.
Bryan Cranston Mic Drop GIF

xrnzaaas

Graphics isn't everything. I was bored out of my mind when I was trying to platinum the first game... and it's not like I hate the genre because I replayed two Arkham games since then and still loved them.

Yeah whatever happened to turn your head and it loads completely different assets? Did Cerny lie?

Maybe you lied though. I knew you would fall for this.

Your going to copy paste now?

Anyways back to being serious.

I would love if Insomniac shared the tech they used to make this. It would definitely be an interesting discussion. Would be awesome to see the PS5s I/O used to achieve some things like extremely fast travel in the game. Could also lead to some interdimensional gameplay and rapidly changing assets if Dr Strange makes an appearance.

214286.gif

Damn that gif reminds me of Rift Apart. Wouldn't mind seeing that again in Spiderman 2.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I don't think it will come close to that teaser video in gameplay.

I think it will look good - but only marginally better than miles. It will have *insane* production values though.

I'm betting you will be 100% WRONG! And it'll be 95% or more as close to the reveal teaser trailer. But that's me beating that making a PS5 only game actually matters. I will NOT forget what the Matrix Demo looked like. I played it and I know what's possible. And that ain't Spiderman: MM level. There's levels way higher than that launch game.

It’ll look better then the previous Spider-Man game, but that’s not my concern.
I just hope they have some crazy and exciting new gameplay mechanics to go along with these “generational leap” in graphics.
Because let’s be honest, the formula hasn’t changed in 2 decades and it’s getting stale.

Sonys motto: kill ‘em’ with the graphics.

Top Bottom