• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Wednesday's Spider-Man 2 Gameplay Trailer be a generational leap in visual fidelity?

Will Wednesday's Spider-Man 2 Gameplay Trailer be a generational leap in visual fidelity?

• Yes, it will blow everything else away

• No, it will look incrementally better than Miles Morale

Results are only viewable after voting.

Shubh_C63

The records this game is gonna smash.

I look forward to doctor strange sky scrapers retracting and shit sooner or later in a Spiderman game. The game mechanics can have fun with that.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
It’ll look better then the previous Spider-Man game, but that’s not my concern.
I just hope they have some crazy and exciting new gameplay mechanics to go along with these “generational leap” in graphics.
Because let’s be honest, the formula hasn’t changed in 2 decades and it’s getting stale.

Sonys motto: kill ‘em’ with the graphics.

Sounds like you are getting too old for gaming then.

Went with the lower option, (incrementally better) but I'd love to be wrong.

What could make this look like a giant leap? Lighting would be my best guess because i cant see textures, draw distance, shadows, reflections having a substantial impact.
At best i can see a small improvement across the board.

Mibu no ookami Mibu no ookami I reckon all polls should be public.
I think at this point, geometric density matters more than everything. Then lighting and draw distance. But you are right, textures have less of an impact on visual fidelity.

iorek21

No idea.

Aside from Rift Apart (which is from Insomniac), nothing really surprised me this gen.

Maybe Spidey will be the one, but I’m no completely sure. My safe bet would be that the next Naughty Dog or Ghost of Tsushima 2 will make the generational leap.

Maybe you lied though. I knew you would fall for this.
Its a serious question, unless you believe you have played tons of next generation graphical games?
Your going to copy paste now?

Anyways back to being serious.

I would love if Insomniac shared the tech they used to make this. It would definitely be an interesting discussion. Would be awesome to see the PS5s I/O used to achieve some things like extremely fast travel in the game. Could also lead to some interdimensional gameplay and rapidly changing assets if Dr Strange makes an appearance.

214286.gif

Damn that gif reminds me of Rift Apart. Wouldn't mind seeing that again in Spiderman 2.
You don't need SSD to do the above though. The whole point of SSD theory that Cerny was peddling in his presentation is to keep the same level of geometric fidelity through-out by only holding in memory the assets directly in-front of you and then loading new ones as you turn.

So for example you can have a true open world game that looks better than TLOU2 without compromising on Asset Quality and Density.
But it hasn't panned out.

And speaking of speed, why is there a collective obsession with "fast travel"? Sure, it's a cool feature, but let's not misplace credit here – it's not the SSD or fast I/O that's pulling the strings. It's all about the engine. I mean, just take a look at the outcomes of my Matrix Demo experiments – I was zipping through the world quicker than Flash on a caffeine high.

No need to copy/paste.

Its a serious question, unless you believe you have played tons of next generation graphical games?

You don't need SSD to do the above though. The whole point of SSD theory that Cerny was peddling in his presentation is to keep the same level of geometric fidelity through-out by only holding in memory the assets directly in-front of you and then loading new ones as you turn.

So for example you can have a true open world game that looks better than TLOU2 without compromising on Asset Quality and Density.
But it hasn't panned out.

And speaking of speed, why is there a collective obsession with "fast travel"? Sure, it's a cool feature, but let's not misplace credit here – it's not the SSD or fast I/O that's pulling the strings. It's all about the engine. I mean, just take a look at the outcomes of my Matrix Demo experiments – I was zipping through the world quicker than Flash on a caffeine high.

No need to copy/paste.

I'm pretty sure they will explain how they used the I/O to help create the game. Would be nice to see how they manage the assets when compared to the previous game. Plus there's the fact the PS5 has an RDNA2 GPU. Would be neat if they used some of its features.

If Spider-Man 2 is a true real next gen game then we will see some pretty cool tech in it. Really curious how far Insomniac can push the PS5 with this title.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I expect graphics to be mind blowing. I’ll check it out for a couple of hours for the eye candy and then return to playing Fallout New Vegas.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Honestly, Miles Morales looks so damn good that it's hard to define "Generational Leap".

The Spider-Man model could look as good as the Raimi Spider-Man films and I still don't know if many would consider it to be a "generational leap", just because the game already looks so damn good.

But with that said, yes, I think Spider-Man 2 is going to set the new standard for visuals in gaming.

Honestly, Miles Morales looks so damn good that it's hard to define "Generational Leap".

The Spider-Man model could look as good as the Raimi Spider-Man films and I still don't know if many would consider it to be a "generational leap", just because the game already looks so damn good.

But with that said, yes, I think Spider-Man 2 is going to set the new standard for visuals in gaming.

Well Insomniac are really good so hopefully that happens. I'm pretty sure we will see some gameplay during the showcase.

I don't even know what a generational leap would even look like, but if I had to guess... I don't think we'll get a huge leap in character models, they're already pretty damn good. I think if there is a "leap" it's going to be in the environment. When not swinging you can actually see that the buildings, especially the windows, look just okay/good. I think they'll probably upgrade them buildings and windows, NPC/car models and density.

I don't even know what a generational leap would even look like, but if I had to guess... I don't think we'll get a huge leap in character models, they're already pretty damn good. I think if there is a "leap" it's going to be in the environment. When not swinging you can actually see that the buildings, especially the windows, look just okay/good. I think they'll probably upgrade them buildings and windows, NPC/car models and density.
It looks like matrix UE5 or 2020 UE5 ruins demo.

If you want to get dramatic, find a movie with great cgi from the years 2005-2015. It looks like that. We’re not even close to being done with generational leaps.

Last edited:
It looks like matrix UE5 or 2020 UE5 ruins demo.

If you want to get dramatic, find a movie with great cgi from the years 2005-2015. It looks like that. We’re not even close to being done with generational leaps.
Oh yea, we're not close to CGI right now that I agree on.

My bad, I should have been more clear, I'm meaning in terms of the hardware we currently have. Based on what the PS5/SeriesX are, I don't know what that kind of leap would even look like. I don't even know if we have any "real" next gen only titles. Yea, Ratchet looks good, but I feel like the timeline just doesn't "fit" I think we might finally be getting some "true" next gen only titles... and because of that I just don't know, but I'm here for it.

Flutta

Banned
Diminishing returns and all that.

I'm keeping my expectations in check on this one or any other game. W'll have to wait for ND and their ICE team to show us what's possible on PS5 when it comes to graphic fidelity. Until then w'll see some slight improvements here and there but nothing we haven't seen so far.

Sounds like you are getting too old for gaming then.
Nah never to old for games but I’m sure it has something to do with getting to old for the same old same old…

Now the Wolverine game, that game has a lot of potential and if my luck is any good the game will move through the ages starting maybe sometime during the civil war era through all the eras up until this day and age. Each era would allow you to hone and master new skills, that’s the dream for me.

It’s open world, it’s gonna look a lot better then the first, but if you’re looking for next gen, wait for the next god of war or last of us part 3.

Hard no .

If anything looks big dick it would be metal gear or even last of us MP. Shit ghost of Tsushima could too.

But Spider-Man ? Nah.
The amount of leaves on the screen in GoT on a PS4 was mind blowing. I can't even imagine what they'll be able to pull off on a PS5.

GymWolf

It’s open world, it’s gonna look a lot better then the first, but if you’re looking for next gen, wait for the next god of war or last of us part 3.
After ragnarock and forbidden west i think that guerrilla surpassed santa monica in the sony graphic developer tier list, open world or not.

Last edited:

sachos

Fuck it, i voted Yes just for the hype. These guys made Rift Apart so i trust them when it comes to visuals. Truthfully though, i think games need RTGI to get that "wow next gen" experience.

Gambit2483

Again, this is just a rumor/heresay but I've heard talk of Insomniac using their Ratchet and Clank SSD based "parallel dimension/spaces" tech for this game...maybe just prototype/alpha tech but it's been reported...

HighPoly

Banned
Well, you guys need to consider the fact Spider Man is a massive open world, with a insanity of buildings and ray tracing.
Yes, I bet Spider Man 2 is gonna be the best of a 10 Teraflop machine can do, in a large map with more density than the 2018 game.
But listen, this is a fast and dense open world game, not what Wolverine is gonna probably do in a linear way kind of game.

I don't know how much better it could possibly look than things like Horizon Burning Shores, Rift Apart and Demon's Souls, so I will say no. But, being among those is more than good enough.

It's hard to explain, but that Ride 4 footage feels like live action movie CGI, whereas the Unrecord footage looked like actual real life bodycam footage, so much so that it can be mistaken for something from liveleak. I have the same feelings about Ride 4 that I have towards the lastest in Forza, Assetto Corsa, and Gran Turismo. They're close but still feel behind. That Unrecord footage felt like a step ahead.

At this point it just comes down to opinion vs opinion, but what I can say is that there is no racing game in the world, this past generation, that sparked the type of reaction that Unrecord did. You have to at least acknowledge that.

Ride 4 also isn't a good looking game like 95% of the time. I have it on ps5.

developers these days are scared to have truly dynamic systems in games.
everything needs to be neatly predetermined + context sensitive + limited.

that's partly because they want even the dumbest people to be able to "feel" like they're good at the game, but also because it makes Leveldesign and other aspects of development simpler.

same reason why in Darksiders 1 you were able to grab onto every reasonably reachable ledge, while in Darksiders 2 they limited it only to specifically marked/flagged ledges, so that they didn't need to worry about the intricacies of the Leveldesign as much.

In Spider-Man it's less about leveldesign and more about not having to deal with all the eventualities of a more open, truly dynamic swinging system with deep player control.

First of all they would need to make sure Idiot McDumbDumb who is angry that Kirby's Epic Yarn doesn't have an easy mode, still can control Spider-Man by simply holding 1 button + the stick forward... and that's already not really possible if you want true control.

then they would need to make sure their collision system, animation system and physics calculations work without issues, which is all gone in an instant when you have canned animations, limited + fully predetermined speed and a force barrier between you and the ground.

Well said .. Sony games have gotten particularly bad about catering to the dumbest 5% of gamers in recent games. Look at Ragnarok how they fucking can't let us solve a puzzle by ourselves. They have a companion blurt out every single solution before we can even begin a puzzle. Its such a bummer.

You're right about Spiderman. It's going to have the same exact system of web swinging. I'll be surprised if it's even sped up, let alone having proper inertia. You're so right about the games journalists gaslighting and shilling for every hyped game like this. GoW Ragnarok should've gotten SLAMMED for treating its players like idiots but instead it got 9.5/10 "goty contender" accolades.

There's important concept of writing stories and making movies "never insult your viewers intelligence". Why do game devs disregard that so badly? Because we keep buying this stuff and there's no honest gaming media. Same goes for gaming Youtubers that have no backbones.

I'm betting you will be 100% WRONG! And it'll be 95% or more as close to the reveal teaser trailer. But that's me beating that making a PS5 only game actually matters. I will NOT forget what the Matrix Demo looked like. I played it and I know what's possible. And that ain't Spiderman: MM level. There's levels way higher than that launch game.

Matrix woulda impressed me more if it had better image quality. I feel the same about Jedi Survivor on ps5. I know there's a great looking game in there but it's buried under a layer of grain and blur.

kuncol02

Banned
it's not really possible to have a truly "next gen" looking game on current consoles because we have reached a point of diminishing returns.
No, not really. Current gen consoles are just that weak. Series X is barely twice as fast as One X and at the same time games are now targeting 60 instead of 30fps. We could have generational leap, but not with 500$ price.

Yoboman

I think it'll look good. Maybe even the best looking next gen game for a brief time. But Insomniac have never been the biggest graphical heavy hitter

Whatever you're looking from for "generational leap" isn't coming though. We'll be lucky if it matches the Matrix demo

Spaceman292

Banned
I dont care about graphics. I want a stable boss fight. Once that makes me go out and not get bored.
First one boss fight was snooze fest. It bored to death, due to how predictable the enemy was. And goons were just enemies with high HP.
The AI was stupid as fk. Especially that mary jane mission.
If this next game has more of those fucking forced stealth sections I'm not buying it. Whoever's idea it was to put those in the first game needs to be thrown out a window.

mrmustard

Banned
If this next game has more of those fucking forced stealth sections I'm not buying it. Whoever's idea it was to put those in the first game needs to be thrown out a window.
It's a time-sink mechanic to bloat the 'how long to beat' time. So i would expect forced stealth sections.

Last edited:

CGNoire

developers these days are scared to have truly dynamic systems in games.
everything needs to be neatly predetermined + context sensitive + limited.

that's partly because they want even the dumbest people to be able to "feel" like they're good at the game, but also because it makes Leveldesign and other aspects of development simpler.

same reason why in Darksiders 1 you were able to grab onto every reasonably reachable ledge, while in Darksiders 2 they limited it only to specifically marked/flagged ledges, so that they didn't need to worry about the intricacies of the Leveldesign as much.

In Spider-Man it's less about leveldesign and more about not having to deal with all the eventualities of a more open, truly dynamic swinging system with deep player control.

First of all they would need to make sure Idiot McDumbDumb who is angry that Kirby's Epic Yarn doesn't have an easy mode, still can control Spider-Man by simply holding 1 button + the stick forward... and that's already not really possible if you want true control.

then they would need to make sure their collision system, animation system and physics calculations work without issues, which is all gone in an instant when you have canned animations, limited + fully predetermined speed and a force barrier between you and the ground.
Nailed it.

Last edited:

CGNoire

Matrix woulda impressed me more if it had better image quality. I feel the same about Jedi Survivor on ps5. I know there's a great looking game in there but it's buried under a layer of grain and blur.
Yep. The Temporal Debt we have accumulated is kind of a drag. So much temporal effects hidden behind buckets of over the top motion blur is decimating image clarity. Stuff keeps looking more and more realistic at the cost of the camera being covered with more and more vasaline.

[Sigma]

It will look better than Spider-man Remastered and Miles Morales on PS5. That's all I expect. My day isn't going to be ruined nor am I going to be disappointed if the difference isn't huge.

Last edited:
Again, this is just a rumor/heresay but I've heard talk of Insomniac using their Ratchet and Clank SSD based "parallel dimension/spaces" tech for this game...maybe just prototype/alpha tech but it's been reported...

How would that even work in a Spidey game? Unless you give spidey a Doctor Strange like tech...

Top Bottom