• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Wednesday's Spider-Man 2 Gameplay Trailer be a generational leap in visual fidelity?

Will Wednesday's Spider-Man 2 Gameplay Trailer be a generational leap in visual fidelity?

• Yes, it will blow everything else away

• No, it will look incrementally better than Miles Morale

Results are only viewable after voting.
How would that even work in a Spidey game? Unless you give spidey a Doctor Strange like tech...

Well Dr Strange could make an appearance and have that stuff happen.

Spider-Man-No-Way-Home-Doctor-Strange-Clip.jpg

If they did it with Rift Apart I don't see why they couldn't do it again.

Paasei

I don’t think so.
I also do not really hope so and rather have them focus on fps.

Just like the previous games they managed to make it run even better over time by adding a portion of raytracing in performance mode.

But we’ll see, didn’t even know gameplay was confirmed for tomorrow, so that’s good news for me.

GymWolf

Well said .. Sony games have gotten particularly bad about catering to the dumbest 5% of gamers in recent games. Look at Ragnarok how they fucking can't let us solve a puzzle by ourselves. They have a companion blurt out every single solution before we can even begin a puzzle. Its such a bummer.

You're right about Spiderman. It's going to have the same exact system of web swinging. I'll be surprised if it's even sped up, let alone having proper inertia. You're so right about the games journalists gaslighting and shilling for every hyped game like this. GoW Ragnarok should've gotten SLAMMED for treating its players like idiots but instead it got 9.5/10 "goty contender" accolades.

There's important concept of writing stories and making movies "never insult your viewers intelligence". Why do game devs disregard that so badly? Because we keep buying this stuff and there's no honest gaming media. Same goes for gaming Youtubers that have no backbones.
They didn't dumbed down their games in terms of combat tho since ragnarock and forbidden west are way harder than the already hard prequels.

It is strange how they trust people with that but not much with puzzles.

Well Dr Strange could make an appearance and have that stuff happen.

Spider-Man-No-Way-Home-Doctor-Strange-Clip.jpg

If they did it with Rift Apart I don't see why they couldn't do it again.
I mean you would have to come up with a reason why Spidey would have access to (or be able to craft) sling.
Then you can portal from one location to another during fights and throughout the city in freeroam.
Which I'm not gonna lie, would be super fun.

Last edited:
I mean you would have to come up with a reason why Spidey would have access to (or be able to craft) sling.
Then you can portal from one location to another during fights and throughout the city in freeroam.
Which I'm not gonna lie, would be super fun.

I wasn't thinking about Spiderman having a device like that. More like Dr Strange bringing him through different dimensions.

Although a fast travel system that uses a portal would be pretty cool to see. Definitely a lot more visually pleasing than a simple fade to black.

Hunnybun

Matrix woulda impressed me more if it had better image quality. I feel the same about Jedi Survivor on ps5. I know there's a great looking game in there but it's buried under a layer of grain and blur.

Matrix image quality is terrible. Grainy, shimmery, flickering mess imo. It looks great on a phone etc but on a big screen I think it's one of the uglier next gen games I've experienced.

poodaddy

Matrix image quality is terrible. Grainy, shimmery, flickering mess imo. It looks great on a phone etc but on a big screen I think it's one of the uglier next gen games I've experienced.
Completely agree. Everyone talking about how amazing it looked for like a month straight made me feel like I was in the twilight zone. The technologies on display were undoubtedly impressive, but the image quality and terrible performance made it butt fuckin ugly for me.

T0minator

Just fix Peter's face and I won't really care otherwise.
I'm curious if they're keeping with the stylized realistic look or will they go for photorealistic? The more realistic they go the easier it will be to spot the errors.

Parkers face will be debated no matter what they do

Bodom78

Even incrementally better it would look amazing.

I look forward to the zoomed in pixel precision nitpicking that will ensue 🤗

Hunnybun

Completely agree. Everyone talking about how amazing it looked for like a month straight made me feel like I was in the twilight zone. The technologies on display were undoubtedly impressive, but the image quality and terrible performance made it butt fuckin ugly for me.

I actually a large part of the praise is from people who've just never played it.

It's obviously technically impressive, but beautiful? Eh... Not exactly.

I don't think the Spiderman game art style is really the best in terms of showing fidelity.

Atleast when it comes to character models anyway

thatJohann

I bet the “footage” will be a CGI teaser trailer that then just shows Spider-Man 2 logo and a release date. I doubt we’ll get gameplay.

Kusarigama

At times it looked stellar and at time only fractionally better than previous ones. The super far sling-swing was nice though

Bartski

Gold Member
turns out is absolutely wasn't, except for clear traversal speed boost there was really nothing interesting about it we haven't seen in previous 2 games. This could be a hard pass for me

Banned
"generational differences" are a thing of the past.
it's not really possible to have a truly "next gen" looking game on current consoles because we have reached a point of diminishing returns.

having 4x the polygons today looks almost identical at first glance to not having 4x the polygons.

having 4x the texture resolution also only will be noticeable up close.

having higher res post processing, higher res transparencies, 4x the amount of particles...
it all wouldn't be noticeable at first glance unless pointed out.

Look Up Ntt Indycar Series GIF by INDYCAR

People expecting way too much from this machines

This is the truth and I've been saying for a while even though also holding out hope that ps5 only games will allow for more.

But the limitations have been shown by every cross gen game that come out not being able to be higher than 1440p/60 with even middling PC settings. Cyberpunk 2077- cd Project had an extra year and a half to show what they could do on ps5/sx and we didn't even get rt reflections. The perfor.amce mode looks lame.

Take any reasonably demanding game that's releases in the last couple years a ND you'll see it's about 1440p (often with reconstruction)/60 fps and medium settings. Control, ac Valhalla, cyberpunk, Uncharted 4 remaster, death stranding, jedi survivor, nfs unbound ...whatever it is the consoles can't run them at really high settings.

Eiknarf

Banned
Looks like a fun time :

Surprised nobody posted this

I’m not a Marvel fan NOR a SpiderMan fan, but that Miles game was great and this looks even better

Last edited:
Top Bottom