• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will You Be Buying Google Stadia?

Will you buy Google Stadia?

• Yes, I'm getting the Founder's Edition for $129.

Votes: 22 4.3%
  • I might pick up a cheap game when Stadia Base comes out.

Votes: 56 10.8%
  • No, I'm not interested.

Votes: 439 84.9%

• Total voters

Airbus Jr

Banned
tenor.gif

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

dorkimoe

Gold Member
If i didnt have a ps4 and xbox this would be great, but I do so....

I may pick one up to put in my bedroom but I wont subscribe to anything...

cryptoadam

Banned
So who is the target audience that doesn't already have a console? I just don't get this release at all.

Do they think casuals will eat this up?

I will say if Google had opted to give us access to their network here in Portland Metro I might have been interested in the base version but I'm stuck with shitty DSL from Frontier to avoid paying 3 times as much with Comcast due to their caps.

People who don't want to put down 500-600 for PS5 or XBOX 3 but still want to play new games.

Right now the value proposition isn't there because you can get a S or PS4 regular for a decent price.

But in a year from now all the new consoles will come out and thats when Google has a chance to get gamers to jump in instead of buying a new 500+ box.

Especially when you consider that by 2 years from launch both systems will get price drops, and within 3 years they will be selling us upgraded pro versions. So buying a console year 1 is pretty much a losing proposition.

Solarstrike

Gold Member
Oh Dear gods above, let us pray. Let us pray that developers and studios be mindful of the Google claw. That ever reaching and opulent claw of devilry made from the riches of human souls. Let Google not lead them unto temptation and dithered lands of filth strewn with artifact ass-looking streamed assets. For the people seek your guidance oh lords, and justice that their private information not be sold to the highest advertising firm due to Google analytics. From thy womb of the Earth it's people born with hope for a better life. Righteousness may not falter under the firm hand of goodness and honesty. Let us pray Google not turn humanity into an digital algorithm of obscurity, trapped inside of another realm locked by a password and Captcha. Amen.

dalekjay

Will VPN work because my country isn’t listed but the neighbor country has and my connection is 1gb question mark

No it doesn't appear worthwhile in any way for me personally. It seems more to be made for the kind of people that buy a TV and leave the factory settings.

Im confused on the pricing model. Is it like gamepass, where we pay 9.99 a month and get the games for free or do we have to buy games individually still on top of the monthly subscription?

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I think Stadia could work well, but Google better not hope they will find no competition. It's gonna be a bloodbath. All the biggies are zeroing in on this streaming service thing.

Maybe if they get an incredible exclusive game, first party or otherwise, then sure. I'1l buy it for a little bit.

DanielsM

Banned
Anybody want to start taking bets on how long it takes for Google to smother this baby in its crib?

A few days ago, I said, Phil Harrison would be out the door in 18-30 months, I say 12-24 months now after this silly announcement today. I think 2-3 years is the most they'll get out of it.

Add it to the google graveyard.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
If there's a game that I could play on the go the I really like I would give it a shot, but I honestly think Stadia is coming out too soon. I'm fine with 720p gaming on my phone (though I would need to get a pixel 3, luckily im in the market for a new phone) but what if I wanna play while I'm on the train or something like that. I don't think 4G LTE is enough bandwidth to stream anything. I can't even get twitch streams to stop buffering where i live unless im on my home network.

If anything I'll get the base and buy a cheap game so i can see how much i actually use it, but I'm not roping myself into yet another subscription. I'm already bad enough at cancelling Game Pass when I'm done with the games I want out of it.

I don't care what the cool kids say, I already plunked down the $130 for the Founder's Edition.

Before you ban me though, let me say in my defense:
  • I've got 64Mbps download speed (according to that speedtest link above)
  • I've got 7ms latency to my nearest Google data center (according to GCPing.com)
  • I've always wanted to be an "early adopter" of some cool new tech, but I'm always too cheap. Even I can swing $130.
  • I'm going to use this opportunity to add "Founder, Google Stadia" to my LinkedIn resume and get all kinds of job offers. Probably.

• LOL

DanielsM

Banned
Im confused on the pricing model. Is it like gamepass, where we pay 9.99 a month and get the games for free or do we have to buy games individually still on top of the monthly subscription?

More like XBLG, its mostly a purchase model, but they'll throw in some games if you subscribe to Pro.

Pro: $9.99 a month, 4k/60fps, buy games but you'll get a discount (unknown on prices), some free games
Base: Free, limited to 1080p, you buy games but no discount

I really wanted to get up for this. I have a 200mb connection here in CA, but it just didn't grab me. I will just have to try it out for a month.

Quezacolt

I don't care what the cool kids say, I already plunked down the $130 for the Founder's Edition.

Before you ban me though, let me say in my defense:
  • I've got 64Mbps download speed (according to that speedtest link above)
  • I've got 7ms latency to my nearest Google data center (according to GCPing.com)
  • I've always wanted to be an "early adopter" of some cool new tech, but I'm always too cheap. Even I can swing $130.
  • I'm going to use this opportunity to add "Founder, Google Stadia" to my LinkedIn resume and get all kinds of job offers. Probably.
I guess you don't really care about not owning something something, and having you money thrown to the drain whenever (hopefully) google kills the service, or third parties take their games out of it

Ivellios

It wont even be avaiable at my country at launch, but even if it was i dont want it, i stick with building a new PC this year and getting PS5 when it launches.

I guess you don't really care about not owning something something, and having you money thrown to the drain whenever (hopefully) google kills the service, or third parties take their games out of it

You guess correctly.

I really don't care about "owning" or "not owning" games. I just want to play them, with as little friction as possible. And I rarely play any game more than 2 months, so I'm not that worried about what happens when Stadia goes to the Google Plus page in the sky...

Quezacolt

You guess correctly.

I really don't care about "owning" or "not owning" games. I just want to play them, with as little friction as possible. And I rarely play any game more than 2 months, so I'm not that worried about what happens when Stadia goes to the Google Plus page in the sky...
I really dislike how we have people that don't care about these anti-consumer policies. Thank you for basically wishing for a future without gaming preservation.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Not interested in streaming games. Even if I was, I'm already invested in the Xbox ecosystem. That's where my potential streaming money is going.

Dr.brain64

As a hardcore, this really sucks but...

I still think this can be a success though (FOR NEXT YEAR!):

1- just buy the game (I'm sure it'll get cheap eventually...)
2- and just play it... FOR FREE!!
3- on anything!!

4- untill your data cap lol!

I think this is serious sweat for sony and microsoft AND nintendo!

FrankCaron

The best result of this announcement is the certainty that MS and Sony will price more competitively now with their respective offerings than they otherwise would have.

Last edited:

scraz

I just checked my Comcast usage for the last 6 months. 4 people in the house streaming Youtube netflix and the random game install here and there we use about 800 gigs a month on average. I am not paying comcast 50 bucks extra a month under any fucking circumstance when I am already paying them $75 for 60 Mbps. Get ready for alot of people to blow that 1 TB cap away.

Bkdk

For now absolutely not. Google should have partner with more developers to incorporate their deepmind To improve AI in gaming, would be way more profitable for them by just selling their AI tech.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
fuck man still 11 against 246

you guys are brootal XD

Also N NeoGAF.
HA the stadia stream is now availble in 4k!

oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck i hope i didn't tag the hole damn site.
-edit- lol neogaf is banned haha

Last edited:
I don't trust Google to not just cut and run, and leave you high and dry if they even get a whiff that the money might not be adding up for them.

I generally don't really like the idea of my game library depending on server availability and cloud storage to begin with, but I especially do not trust Google very much to handle this that well.

Barnabot

I've already replied a similar poll. Still a "fuck no".

Stop embarrassing yourself, Google. I won't buy it even if moneyhat every major developer to launch games only on Stadia because that will be the time I'll stop buying new games then.

RedVIper

Banned
I cant see sony or xbox streaming being worse than this, which begs the question how is google suposed to outperform them? Their brands are actually known for games.

Top Bottom