• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Willem Dafoe to voice the Shinigami in Netflix's 'Death Note' (Exclusive)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manu

HOLY SHIT YES

In the midst of filming Justice League, Willem Dafoe has closed a deal to voice Ryuk the Shinigami in Adam Wingard’s adaptation of the popular Japanese manga Death Note that will debut next year on Netflix, Mashable has exclusively learned.

Nat Wolff stars alongside Margaret Qualley, Keith Stanfield, Paul Nakauchi and Shea Whigham.

Based on the famous Japanese manga written by Tsugumi Ohba and Takeshi Obata, Death Note follows a high school student (Wolff) who comes across a supernatural notebook that gives him the ability to kill anyone by writing their name while picturing their face. Drunk on power, he begins to kill those he deems unworthy of life.

EDIT: Welp, that "(Exclusive)" in the thread title was a mistake. That's what I get for copypasting.

Wingard alone is keeping me somewhat excited for this.

Potentially big get for Netflix if the film sticks the landing. Should've been a television series, though.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Adam Wingaurd is involved with this? Well there is hope at least! Also they could just put Dafoe in a costume and make up and be could pull The character off

OK

YEAH

I'M BACK ON BOARD

OK THIS IS GOING TO BE GREAT

Sorry for caps but this is fucking wild. The way Ryuk speaks, this will fit.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW MUCH IVE SCHARCRIFIISHED?

Love the casting so far.
Wingard has made good movies, he's on a roll right now.

the-smile-man-willen-dafoe-creepy.gif

He's Perfect.

I still don't have any faith in a death note "adaptation" starring Light Turner, but this casting is godly and hilarious. I'll watch it on Netflix for this alone.

Perfect casting. It's funny. So many people in that last thread were talking like it was a sure thing there wouldn't be Shinigami in the movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom