• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Willem Dafoe to voice the Shinigami in Netflix's 'Death Note' (Exclusive)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Livingskeletons

If I pulled that off, would you die?
Those are the worst.

After Death Note was done, Code Geass came out and then all the pretenders started saying 'WOW CODE GEASS SO DEEP WOW'

I never watched it out of merit.

Lol its not that bad. In my opinion its just a poor man's Death Note with some mechs thrown in.

Also the protagonist lacks a rival who is as cunning as him, which was a big part of what I enjoyed about Death Note.

So the cast looks like:

maxresdefault.jpg

With Dafoe as a shinigami.

Not bad to be honest, this could be pretty decent as far as live action stuff goes. usually it ends up being pretty cringe worthy or terrible though.

It has nothing to do with what YOU do or don't like but has everything to do with your attitude towards a fanbase of something you don't like. It's a hypothetical representation of what you're doing here since you don't seem to understand how or why it's not only annoying but fairly immature. If you can't see that then it seems you're beyond help or just incredibly arrogant.

From my perspective, it seems like you can not reconcile the fact someone doesn't like your favorite show.

Arrogant? Beyond Help? Immature? Dude you don't even know me.

I said nothing about the fanbase, I merely said the quality of the show is shit, that the show is shit.

I also said that something along the lines of you having shit taste in anime because from my perspective Death Note is shit. That is not an attack on an entire fanbase. Get out of here with that.

From your perspective, Death Note is awesome and clearly a sacred cow.

Clearly, we can't discuss things without hurling insults at each other because holy shit I can't even express my opinion. It is like an echo chamber in here.

I didn't come in here just to shit on Death Note, but okay lets make it about that instead of the inspired casting choice of Willem Dafoe.

Let's dogpile on someone for having a differing opinion and then make snarky analogies!

Great talk guys, now I am reminded why I shouldn't come to the off topic forum. :/

HardRojo

Those are the worst.

After Death Note was done, Code Geass came out and then all the pretenders started saying 'WOW CODE GEASS SO DEEP WOW'

I never watched it out of merit.

It's good, but not as good as Death Note. It's worth watching it though.

Uh, so it isn't okay to have opinions anymore.

I hated Death Note before it was even an anime, when people were still reading the manga. It is tripe, and I'm sorry you guys have shit taste in anime and that the sacred cow you love I just slaughtered all over your hearth and home.

I'm sorry I'm not sorry about expressing my vitriol for Death Note.

That said, Dafoe is inspired casting and can only make this better.
OK, last time I reply. A simple "I highly dislike Death Note and don't believe it is as good as people think, but I will give this a try because Dafoe is in it" would have sufficed, if you can't see why you're completely wrong with your "vitriol" then you either are a fucking 10 year old kid or are not fit to live in society with other human beings.

Great talk guys, now I am reminded why I shouldn't come to the off topic forum. :/
Maybe you should stay away if your idea of a healthy critical discourse is "there is nothing redeeming about it, the characters suck, everything about it is terrible."

What do you expect us to take away from that except the pure troll nonsense that it is?

Anyway, looks like you got the attention you wanted ¯\_(乀ᄁ)_/¯

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Lol its not that bad. In my opinion its just a poor man's Death Note with some mechs thrown in.

Also the protagonist lacks a rival who is as cunning as him, which was a big part of what I enjoyed about Death Note.
It's not a poor man's death note, it's a poor man's legend of galatic heroes which the story apes in a lot of ways.

OK, last time I reply. A simple "I highly dislike Death Note and don't believe it is as good as people think, but I will give this a try because Dafoe is in it" would have sufficed, if you can't see why you're completely wrong with your "vitriol" then you either are a fucking 10 year old kid or are not fit to live in society with other human beings.

Wow, not fit to live in society with others because I dislike your show with harsh words.

That makes sense. Perfect Sense.

What?

I mean what dude. So I deserve to die and or be a recluse for not liking your show.

Okay.

And now someone is accusing me of being a troll, wow the salt in here is too strong.

I didn't want any attention, I just merely wanted to add my thoughts in, and sure maybe I was a bit passionate in expressing it but holy shit I am allowed to have an opinion.

I am allowed to post my opinion.

I've watched Death Note once. I enjoyed it, I don't think it's amazing and its far from being a "sacred cow" but as it's already been stated, there's a way to express opinions, one that makes you look like a jackass and one that doesn't and by your posts in this thread, it's fairly obvious you're an arrogant jackass. Just because someone likes something you don't doesn't mean they worship it and quite frankly no one here really gives a shit that you don't like it, because we all do so stating that the fans have bad taste and that your opinion is somehow more noteworthy means you have an inflated sense of self importance. You know what that means? That you're arrogant but you're right. If you don't understand how to respectfully put your thoughts and opinions into a discussion, especially on things you dislike please don't come back to OT. We're better off without you.

Maybe you should stay away if your idea of a healthy critical discourse is "there is nothing redeeming about it, the characters suck, everything about it is terrible."

What do you expect us to take away from that except the pure troll nonsense that it is?

Anyway, looks like you got the attention you wanted ¯\_(乀ᄁ)_/¯

I've watched Death Note once. I enjoyed it, I don't think it's amazing and its far from being a "sacred cow" but as it's already been stated, there's a way to express opinions, one that makes you look like a jackass and one that doesn't and by your posts in this thread, it's fairly obvious you're an arrogant jackass. Just because someone likes something you don't doesn't mean they worship it and quite frankly no one here really gives a shit that you don't like it, because we all do so stating that the fans have bad taste and that your opinion is somehow more noteworthy means you have an inflated sense of self importance. You know what that means? That you're arrogant but you're right. If you don't understand how to respectfully put your thoughts and opinions into a discussion, especially on things you dislike please don't come back to OT. We're better off without you.

I think it is amazing that you can surmise that I am arrogant from one off posts that use harsh language.

I also find it incredibly inappropriate to tell someone that they are unfit to live in society or to die for not liking their show or expressing an opinion.

I have zero sense of self importance, and in life I am often humble.

But I am calling out you and Rojo or whatever for basically acting like children because your show and ego were insulted.

I'm just going to go let myself out now, if you have anything more to say send it to me in a PM. Because we are shitting up the thread.

Astral

Psycho Pass is not better than Death Note. Even if Death Note consisted of just the stuff past L's death it still wouldn't be as good. Fuck Psycho Pass.

HardRojo

Psycho Pass is not better than Death Note. Even if Death Note consisted of just the stuff past L's death it still wouldn't be as good. Fuck Psycho Pass.
I wanted to watch it, but I couldn't stand the main character's personality so I had to psycho pass on that show.

Psycho Pass is a total mess, and its characterization makes Death Note look like Shakespeare, but it has some really amazing scenes that stayed with me. Like the
hammer to the face
and the
razor blade necktie
and the
pouring gasoline on students and setting them on fire

Basically, the show was only good when it was stupid violent :p

Astral

Psycho Pass is a total mess, and its characterization makes Death Note look like Shakespeare, but it has some really amazing scenes that stayed with me. Like the
hammer to the face
and the
razor blade necktie
and the
pouring gasoline on students and setting them on fire

Basically, the show was only good when it was stupid violent :p

Episode 13 was the shit. It made the villain truly despicable. Then the show became shit again. Season 2 shouldn't even exist with how bad it is. Anyway this is about Death Note. Dafoe is gonna kill it!
I made a joke hahaha

Episode 13 was the shit. It made the villain truly despicable. Then the show became shit again. Season 2 shouldn't even exist with how bad it is. Anyway this is about Death Note. Defoe is gonna kill it!
I made a joke hahaha
Episode 16 was the pinnacle, but man that show fell hard.

And S2 doesn't even exist as far as I'm concerned
lol.gif

Wait is the live action movie? It became a Netflix project? I wanted to see it fail at the box office.
It was going to be distributed by WB until they punted it over to Netflix for pennies.

The fact that the studio behind such duds as Tarzan and BvS apparently lost faith in this project isn't very promising. Before the Willem Dafoe news, the director was the only glimmer of hope about the film's potential quality.

Netflix fucked up, this would have been a perfect 13 episode show. Unless they plan to make sequels. Then I think it could work as a Trilogy (if the have to add the Mello arc -_-)

janoDX

I'm sorry you guys have shit taste in anime and that the sacred cow you love I just slaughtered all over your hearth and home.

And this is why they are slandering you. Because instead of saying "never was a fan of Death Note, but Dafoe got me interested", you go and insult their taste on Anime.

Or you control what you say, or just get out. You can have an opinion, but respect the others and don't damage the rest of the people.

And this is why they are slandering you. Because instead of saying "never was a fan of Death Note, but Dafoe got me interested", you go and insult their taste on Anime.

Or you control what you say, or just get out. You can have an opinion, but respect the others and don't damage the rest of the people.

Slander is high praise considering they are acting like children.

In fact I didn't even insult them to begin with.

I didn't insult an entire fanbase, I insulted a single person for liking an anime that I think, in my opinion is shit. They then went off the deep end, slinging insults back and forth derailing the fucking thread for a personal vendetta.

I even posted a list of anime that is actually good.

Except for apparently psychopass and Kill La Kill but whatever, I really don't care.

I care more about the fact that someone said I don't deserve to live because apparently they can't handle harsh words about their favorite show on the internet.

Insult any of my shows and I will not give one shit. Not one.

I would also never tell someone they don't deserve to live for not liking a show that I like.

I mean defending what they were saying is terrible.

Just terrible.

I'm not posting in this thread from this point onwards, and I would like people to stop dredging this shit up because it is completely derailing the thread.

I said a show was shit.

Someone got mad.

Terrible things were said, and no one acted like an adult.

Time to move on people. I know I am, if anyone else has anything to say to me about this, send me a PM and stop shitting up this thread.

Psycho Pass is not better than Death Note. Even if Death Note consisted of just the stuff past
L's death
it still wouldn't be as good. Fuck Psycho Pass.

Spoilers dude. Remember we're in a thread about the movie and people might not have even watched the anime or read the manga that far if at all.

Servbot24

Banned
lol at royale's dramabomb

It was going to be distributed by WB until they punted it over to Netflix for pennies.

The fact that the studio behind such duds as Tarzan and BvS apparently lost faith in this project isn't very promising. Before the Willem Dafoe news, the director was the only glimmer of hope about the film's potential quality.
If anything, them not wanting it is a good thing.

Arkeband

Banned
Psycho Pass is not better than Death Note.

Psycho Pass is fucking amazing. GAF bad taste squad out in full force lately.

Ultimately I hope that Wingard forces the cast to watch the DN anime, because the JP voice actors were god-tier. Light's VA was extraordinary in that final episode.

The English dub will always live in the shadow of that work.

VAD

I think it's best if we just forget the source material. I just can't see any of the cast as the manga' s characters except Dafoe. Let's hope the film is good on its own merits rather than enjoying or hating it because of its similarities to the original story.

Crosseyes

Banned
Slander is high praise considering they are acting like children.

In fact I didn't even insult them to begin with.

I didn't insult an entire fanbase, I insulted a single person for liking an anime that I think, in my opinion is shit. They then went off the deep end, slinging insults back and forth derailing the fucking thread for a personal vendetta.

I even posted a list of anime that is actually good.

Except for apparently psychopass and Kill La Kill but whatever, I really don't care.

I care more about the fact that someone said I don't deserve to live because apparently they can't handle harsh words about their favorite show on the internet.

Insult any of my shows and I will not give one shit. Not one.

I would also never tell someone they don't deserve to live for not liking a show that I like.

I mean defending what they were saying is terrible.

Just terrible.

I'm not posting in this thread from this point onwards, and I would like people to stop dredging this shit up because it is completely derailing the thread.

I said a show was shit.

Someone got mad.

Terrible things were said, and no one acted like an adult.

Time to move on people. I know I am, if anyone else has anything to say to me about this, send me a PM and stop shitting up this thread.
Well maybe you can at least leave the thread with a lesson on empathy and not inciting shit with people because you can.

Don't start no shit, won't be no shit. You created this issue so I'm sorry it's uncomfortable for you but I for one am happy to keep up the shitting all over you in this thread. It's fun.

Khezu

Honestly since it's going to be a movie, they should have just cut Misa, and focused on Light and L.

Maybe give Light a random throw away girlfriend for drama.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom