• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 RTM is out - DX12 games to follow?

sueil

Now that Windows 10 is in the history books it is time to look forward to DX12 games. The new version is supposed to bring huge improvements to PC gaming but I'm wondering how long it will take before we actually see PC games shipping with DX12 versions. It took a long time for DX10 and DX11 to start to catch on and it took even longer for x64 versions of games to finally start being standard. Do you think it will be another slow rollout taking years before we start to see them start coming out? Windows 10 being a free upgrade from 7 and 8 could help right?

diaspora

We won't see DX12 games until next year I think. It's less about market penetration than it is about how fresh it is. Takes time to implement and adopt.

Not sure as I have not done it yet but, at this point with 11 days to go I doubt there is that much missing.
Oh okay. Think I'm going to stick with 8 for a while, see how the launch goes first :p

I think there'll be a few games that require it (like there were a few games that required Vista and up which pissed a lot of people off lmao) but I imagine for the most part DX11 will be the base, maybe with DX12 features

Slash

Banned
I would eat my socks if a DX12 game shipped before middle of next year. Any pc gaming vet knows that anytime you get a new DX version, it takes a long time to get a game out to the public that uses it properly.

sueil

If you were using an insider program build the RTM version was pushed and insiders should now be running a final version. It no longer says preview in the corner and is activated forever etc... I'm not sure you can actually get it manually if you weren't an insider.

chadskin

Just wait 11 more days guys, not worth the trouble.

Interested to see how the Windows 10 launch goes, had the last couple of betas installed and am now using the RTM on my gaming machine. Everything still feels a little wonky and beta-ish. I was surprised to hear it was releasing this soon, honestly.

Slash

Banned
Just wait 11 more days guys, not worth the trouble.

Interested to see how the Windows 10 launch goes, had the last couple of betas installed and am now using the RTM on my gaming machine. Everything still feels a little wonky and beta-ish. I was surprised to hear it was releasing this soon, honestly.

I don't think they should be releasing Win10 yet. It is way to soon and yet i am going to jump in and will pay the price.

If you were using an insider program build the RTM version was pushed and insiders should now be running a final version. It no longer says preview in the corner and is activated forever etc... I'm not sure you can actually get it manually if you weren't an insider.

oh, so just for "insiders".

well fudge then... fudge.

clav

Is there any reason to? Is driver support there already?

No. Just wait. Still touch ups now and there.

Some of GAF will be very angry at some companies for driver support if they're upgrading from 7 or even some from 8, particularly for sound and a few on networking.

I wouldn't call the current build RTM.

sueil

Some of GAF will be very angry at some companies for driver support if they're upgrading from 7 or even some from 8, particularly for sound and a few on networking.

Well 10240 is the version that is shipping so whether you consider it good enough or not it is the RTM version.

Joey Ravn

Banned

While Microsoft isn't calling it RTM anymore, due to the way they are approaching Windows 10, it passes all the checks for an RTM: build number, proximity to official release, no watermark on the desktop, functioning activation, etc. Besides, the RTM build doesn't need to be completely finished--it just be finished enough for OEMs to begin installing it on their devices so that PCs with Windows 10 are available on release.

It's not going to get any better between today and the 29th. No new major builds until release. But there's probably going to be a zero-day update on the 29th to solve any issues that the RTM build may have.

Seanspeed

Banned
Fable Legends is this year I think? That should be the first DX12 game.
Right.

And in general, DX12 could see a far quicker adoption due to Windows 10 likely to have fast and widespread adoption.

Could also see a few existing games being converted to DX12 in the near future.

Kudo

I'm looking at Asus, all this hardware soon going to be paperweight.
I wonder how long will it take until they release retail drivers for Xonar STX Windows 8?

I can only think of fable and deus ex with confirmed DX12 support, I'm sure more games will announce support closer to release, but I would expect that to happen next year.

edit: Ashes of singularity too and probably I'm missing something else.

I've been digging Windows 10 for the most part. Only reason I installed it was for Xbox One streaming and it awesome. Works great.

Mashing

Ugh, why isn't the Windows 10 upgrade free for Enterprise users? I'm going to have to downgrade to a different version and then upgrade or fork out the cash for the retail version.

LOLCats

Banned
I be having access now to it. Will i download? Hell no cuz im back into skyrim and thats a lot of mods to redownload and configure.

clav

Well 10240 is the version that is shipping so whether you consider it good enough or not it is the RTM version.

I wouldn't tell people to jump on the current build if their setup works.

While Microsoft isn't calling it RTM anymore, due to the way they are approaching Windows 10, it passes all the checks for an RTM: build number, proximity to official release, no watermark on the desktop, functioning activation, etc. Besides, the RTM build doesn't need to be completely finished--it just be finished enough for OEMs to begin installing it on their devices so that PCs with Windows 10 are available on release.

It's not going to get any better between today and the 29th. No new major builds until release. But there's probably going to be a zero-day update on the 29th to solve any issues that the RTM build may have.

Considering the builds are now marked TH1 (Threshold 1?) and TH2 (Threshold 2?), I guess we're going to see Windows builds that are not as polished since their distribution methods of trialing a OS before release are more open than ever.

You could technically never purchase another Windows license again for as long as the trial is open.

There are already fixes in the works for 10240 over the past few days. Still polishing it up.

I expect another major update down the line like a second big update after this initial one. Probably will release later this year.

I'm looking at Asus, all this hardware soon going to be paperweight.
I wonder how long will it take until they release retail drivers for Xonar STX Windows 8?

If you have a Vista sticker laptop, you can make the builds work. You might have to disable fast boot due to drivers. Same problems as Windows 8.1.

I be having access now to it. Will i download? Hell no cuz im back into skyrim and thats a lot of mods to redownload and configure.

What do you mean? You can just upgrade and none of your games will be touched. Shouldn't need to redownload or reconfigure anything unless you decide you want to do a clean install.

Can I do a CLEAN INSTALL for Win 10 or is it a forced upgrade?

Yes, you can. Of course, be sure to have your CD key for Win7 or Win8 written down when you do this. Alternatively, you can upgrade and then use Windows' built in "Refresh" to do a clean install on top of itself.

how can I do it manually before 29th?

You can just download the ISO and upgrade yourself manually. However, I would highly suggest waiting the 11 days for the official release at this point.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If you stream a game from Xbox to your PC, does that game run in full screen on your TV? I have my DVR running through my Xbox and remote play would often be handy, but not if it interrupts people watching the TV. I'm guessing that won't be an option, but secretly holding out hope because you can game with TV running in snap mode.

I'll be surprised if by this time next year Window 10's adoption hasn't significantly eclipsed the adoption rate of past MS OSes over the same amount of time.

Soroc

Do I have to upgrade by the 29th to get the free upgrade? Does the free upgrade program expire at some point? I'm not a big fan of jumping right into a new OS as soon as it launches.

mcrommert

Banned
Ugh, why isn't the Windows 10 upgrade free for Enterprise users? I'm going to have to downgrade to a different version and then upgrade or fork out the cash for the retail version.
Seriously? You shouldn't have enterprise on a home computer so that is in some way piracy...sooo

So no tears will be shed for you

clav

Do I have to upgrade by the 29th to get the free upgrade? Does the free upgrade program expire at some point? I'm not a big fan of jumping right into a new OS as soon as it launches.

You have one year starting from July 29.

I'm thinking of just doing the upgrade instead of a clean install this time. Don't feel like reformatting at the moment. I hear the upgrade process is less painful than others? I usually never upgrade since I hear crap doesn't work and such.

Top Bottom