• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 RTM is out - DX12 games to follow?

big_z

Do you need to have an ms account tho? What cant you do without one? Idk myself.

A Microsoft account is required to upgrade to windows 10 as your product key becomes tied to that account. Once you have installed windows and its been activated you should be able to log out of the account.

So I could install Windows 10 on my current computer now, and later in the fall get a new computer, install the same Windows 7 to it, and again upgrade to 10? Would be great, didn't even consider that.

I think it works like this: (correct me if wrong)

-upgrade over current windows to tie your current product key to your new windows 10 key and Microsoft account.
-you can now do full/clean install on any computer. All you have to do is log into your Microsoft account within 15 days of a new install to verify windows.
-installing windows 10 on new hardware is fine but once you activate it your old computer will be deactivated.

Haha, I don't think DX12 games are coming for at least a year and a half. We've had DX11 for YEARS now and some games are only just now starting to implement it.

Also, I believe this fits within the topic:

Wonder if FFXV is going to be announced for PC sometime after Win10's release? With how much Square Enix has been wanking off about FFXV's DX12 implementation - Something console gamers likely don't give a shit about, and something utterly irrelevant on the PS4 side, which will likely account for at minimum 70% of XV's console sales - what if it's being teased as being a Windows 10 exclusive on PC?

Mifec

Haha, I don't think DX12 games are coming for at least a year and a half. We've had DX11 for YEARS now and some games are only just now starting to implement it.

Wonder if FFXV is going to be announced for PC sometime after Win10's release? With how much Square Enix has been wanking off about FFXV's DX12 implementation - Something console gamers likely don't give a shit about, and something utterly irrelevant on the PS4 side, which will likely account for at minimum 70% of XV's console sales - what if it's being teased as being a Windows 10 exclusive on PC?

I think 6 months or a year after it's out on console and they get all the console money they will announce it for PC.

I think 6 months or a year after it's out on console and they get all the console money they will announce it for PC.

Yes, I mean it's pretty obvious it will come to PC at some point, but my bet here is on it being a Windows 10 exclusive, since DX12 requires Win10, and Square keeps talking about XV's DX12 implementation left and right.

A bit off-topic but Would my SP3(i5)be a good way to try W10 before I upgrade my desktop? Or is there some horrible problem exclusive to surfaces and W10?

OmegaDL50

I dont know i dont use windows. Is that how it is?

Not for Windows 8 no.

You can create an offline account just like previous versions of Windows.

An online account is only necessary for the Microsoft App Store (which I don't even use, except for the free update from 8 to 8.1, and the same probably for 10 as well)

If you have a pre-existing freemail account such as Outlook or Hotmail that will work as your MS account. If you ever own an Xbox 360 or Xbox One the account you used for your 360 or Xbox One is a valid MS account as well.

Chances are if you owned a 360 at any point and and had Xbox Gold you probably already have a MS account.

wwm0nkey

No way, Fall 2015 is probably when we start seeing them.

Helznicht

I would eat my socks if a DX12 game shipped before middle of next year. Any pc gaming vet knows that anytime you get a new DX version, it takes a long time to get a game out to the public that uses it properly.

Hungry? Fable Legends is DX12 and out in a few months.

Wait, the RTM is out? I'm a Windows Insider and I didn't even know. Holy shit. Guess I'll start backing up my shit tomorrow then.

I already registered for the upgrade on my Windows 8.1 Dell PC..but I want to do a fresh install of it when it comes out(I dont like doing upgrades always have issues after wards) what would I have to do in order to do a clean install since there is probably no option to download the ISO of the software

OmegaDL50

free for all 8.1 users?

Free for 7, 8, and 8.1 users, for one full year from the date of it's release. Meaning you have from July 29th 2015 to July 29th 2016 to get a free copy of Windows 10 if you own either of the aforementioned OS's on any current PC you own.

I already registered for the upgrade on my Windows 8.1 Dell PC..but I want to do a fresh install of it when it comes out(I dont like doing upgrades always have issues after wards) what would I have to do in order to do a clean install since there is probably no option to download the ISO of the software

You would probably need to first upgrade to Windows 10 and get a key, and then through Windows itself do the "Remove everything and reinstall Windows" recovery option. During the install you can format the HDD / Create Partitions and whatnot.

Installed it yesterday and still has some flaws. Freezed up several times at the login screen.

But Steam and Dark Souls 2 run very smoothly.
You don't have to wait to upgrade for a 'better' version. MS stated all bugfixes will come via Windows Update

Free for 7, 8, and 8.1 users, for one full year from the date of it's release. Meaning you have from July 29th 2015 to July 29th 2016 to get a free copy of Windows 10 if you own either of the aforementioned OS's on any current PC you own.

You would probably need to first upgrade to Windows 10 and get a key, and then through Windows itself do the "Remove everything and reinstall Windows" recovery option. During the install you can format the HDD / Create Partitions and whatnot.

Ok sounds good..first upgrade..then do a remove everything and reinstall windows recovery option, sounds good..more of a hassle than the other way but I can live with that

SScorpio

You'll need to do the upgrade for Windows 10 to be licensed. Afterwards you can do a full clean install, I'm not sure if Microsoft will directly provide an ISO or not. If you can't easily find an ISO, just for a "reset" like you would from Windows 8/8.1. This works exactly the same way as a clean install, minus reformatting the drive. It will remove all file and Windows will be in the same state as a clean install.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc

Windows collects junk files and information over time. This can have a negative impact on user experience/performance. If your current install of windows is corrupt in any way that can also cause problems. A clean install ensures your getting the best new windows experience possible.

It's like renovating a really old house vs tearing it down and building fresh.

I figured as much, thanks!

I think it works like this: (correct me if wrong)

-upgrade over current windows to tie your current product key to your new windows 10 key and Microsoft account.
-you can now do full/clean install on any computer. All you have to do is log into your Microsoft account within 15 days of a new install to verify windows.
-installing windows 10 on new hardware is fine but once you activate it your old computer will be deactivated.

How will the bolded happen considering I only have the Windows 7 disc?

OmegaDL50

I have already once reinstalled my copy of Windows 7 to a new HDD, I activated it with the same key I used the first time. Had no problems.

A HDD replacement wouldn't deactivate the key, Motherboard / CPU swap however would. In fact I had to call up Microsoft to deactivate the old PC to reactivate my key when I rebuilt my PC.

Also this only applies to full release versions of Windows. This kind of transfer does not apply for OEM or Upgrade versions. So if you had a full retail version, that would explain why your Windows license would transfer to an entirely new PC.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
A HDD replacement wouldn't deactivate the key, Motherboard / CPU swap however would. In fact I had to call up Microsoft to deactivate the old PC to reactivate my key when I rebuilt my PC.

Also this only applies to full release versions of Windows. This kind of transfer does not apply for OEM or Upgrade versions. So if you had a full retail version, that would explain why your Windows license would transfer to an entirely new PC.

I've changed Motherboard twice on my 8.1 install without having to re-activate.
Since I got it I've changed RAM, motherboard, CPU and GPU, only the HDD Is the same lol.

Edit: Oh, must be because Dreamspark keys are considered retail keys.

Oh damn. So there's no way to get my OEM Windows out of this motherboard and to a new platform? Guess my build just went up by over hundred euros. Sigh.

OmegaDL50

Oh damn. So there's no way to get my OEM Windows out of this motherboard and to a new platform? Guess my build just went up by over hundred euros. Sigh.

Reddit Microsoft Software Swap. They sell legitimate Windows keys. Most of them are Dreamspark releases issued from Colleges / Universities.

Check it out.

Dileas

I say give it a shot.

I moved my Windows 7 OEM key from my desktop to my Macbook Air. I've also transferred over a Windows 8.1 OEM key when I had to replace my motherboard.

Microsoft doesn't seem to enforce its OEM limit, at least in my experience.

Edit: I wanna specify that I had to call Microsoft's automated service to reactivate the keys onto the new machines. Had no hassles with this procedure.

Windows 10 has been nice in the lastest few updates but for the way I use it in my daily life it really feels more like a windows 8.5, they improved the windows app part hugely by allowing native windowing of the apps and that's the biggest change for me.

hlhbk

Word to the wise: If you use an optical cable using dolby digital live or something similar to make the optical sound 5.1 DO NOT INSTALL WINDOWS 10 YET! I installed the latest version of Windows 10 in the preview program and since the audio stack has been completely rewritten for Windows 10 I couldn't get the optical sound to work using multiple audio cards.

Buburibon

Activation servers are down until release... so no, you can't really do that right now if you want to have a legit version of Windows 10 at release.

That answers my question, thank you! I'll wait for the "Get Windows 10" app upgrade notification that should come up some time next month.

I can only think of fable and deus ex with confirmed DX12 support, I'm sure more games will announce support closer to release, but I would expect that to happen next year.

edit: Ashes of singularity too and probably I'm missing something else.

Amy Hennig's Star Wars title better use it.

If you stream a game from Xbox to your PC, does that game run in full screen on your TV? I have my DVR running through my Xbox and remote play would often be handy, but not if it interrupts people watching the TV. I'm guessing that won't be an option, but secretly holding out hope because you can game with TV running in snap mode.
Xbox app shows whatever is on the xbox screen

Cheers, might give it a go on my laptop first, then my other 3 systems in the house if that goes well.
Always wise to take it at a sensible pace but just to give you confidence I've been installing update builds of win10 for what feels like months without any issues

Reddit Microsoft Software Swap. They sell legitimate Windows keys. Most of them are Dreamspark releases issued from Colleges / Universities.

Check it out.
Yeah they are real keys being sold in breach of programme terms, so Imo it is piracy. Students get it cheap as they are students & Ms wants adoption in that market, not because they want those licenses resold to ineligible people.

Thought it got shut down anyway?

oxidax

I remember joining the insider program but I forgot to download the ISO. Now that RTM is out I want to download it but the "Get started" tab is grayed out. Wtf :(

EDIT: This and losing the little flag icon on the left is bugging me out. Now ill have to buy the final version since I wont be able to upgrade.

Top Bottom