• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 RTM is out - DX12 games to follow?

prudislav

As a person who plays older games from 90s and 00s a lot I am really worried to upgrade - especially that some of those games had some obscure DRMs and other crap that i fear and am quite sure Win10 will break it

Patrick S.

Banned
As a person who plays older games from 90s and 00s a lot I am really worried to upgrade - especially that some of those games had some obscure DRMs and other crap that i fear and am quite sure Win10 will break it

I play old games all the time, and so far the only problem I've had running Windows 10 was with a NEW game; Raceroom Experience, which doesn't allow me to run at 1080p because of some bug. But with older games, I've not run into any problems yet.

Patrick S.

Banned
What was your upgrade path and how did you create a clean install, did you use the RTM ISO?

I have

a) installed Windows 10 preview over a not activated Windows 8.1 install using the "upgrade" option on the Microsoft site and then just kept updating builds with Windows Update.

b) downloaded the preview ISO from the link I posted above and put it on a USB drive with Rufus and did a fresh install on another machine.

I kept updating builds and am now on the RTM build which is activated. As I said, Windows 8.1 was not activated, or in other words Microsoft gave me a free copy of Windows 10 Pro, yay :)

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Quoting myself

Works perfectly on a legit, activated install of Win 8.1 - your current key is converted and the OS will boot activated.

Page not found?

Also upgrade from Home to Pro?

Shozuki

Quoting myself
Works perfectly on a legit, activated install of Win 8.1 - your current key is converted and the OS will boot activated.

No idea what I did wrong then, I downloaded the ISO mounted it - let it download updates then it took me to a windows key screen where it asked for a key.

I have a genuine installed Windows 8.1 - tried that key which failed.... I then thought I was supposed to use the provided key on the web page - which I did..

RdN

I'm running Windows 8.1 Pro.. But I want to do a clean install for Windows 10 Pro instead of upgrading.

How do I go about that?

Does it format your disk or anything? Or is it a pretty painless process?

Its pretty painless, not at all like Windows 7 era upgrades. Takes ~10 Minutes to upgrade, longer if you have a ton of programs/apps/files which it will need to migrate. It'll keep all your files, apps, programs, settings, user accounts.

Once you upgrade, if you find it running a little slow, or you want to do a clean install for reasons, you can then go into the settings and tell it to "Refresh your PC" a'la Windows 8 where it will reinstall Windows 10 and if you chose, migrate your files/settings/apps over.

M3d10n

There are two "tiers" of DX12 support. There's a "DX11-on-12" API that allows most DX11 code to run without major changes and allows devs to get some performance boost for little effort. Games using this path are likely to show up earlier, as well as some evergreen PC games getting patched to support it.

The 2nd tier involves re-writing the game's renderer to take full advantage of the performance features. I don't think we'll see much of those before DX12 support shows up on UE4 and Unity.

byropoint

Can anyone explain how do I upgrade from 8.1 using the files linked on page 4? I downloaded the .esd file and have no idea what to do with it.

b0bbyJ03

Not sure if anyone has said this but I wouldn't be surprised if Battlefront is the first game to go DX12. With their history and staff I'd say it's possible

Is there a download link for the non pro version of Windows 10? Since you can only officially upgrade to the home version from the standard version of 8.1

tronic307

Is there a download link for the non pro version of Windows 10? Since you can only officially upgrade to the home version from the standard version of 8.1
Same ISO. It detects whether you have Home or Pro on Windows 7 or 8 and that's what you'll have after the upgrade.

Buburibon

I tried installing it and it asked for a product key. Didnt MS say the previous preview keys no longer work?

Laptop? I wasn't able to make it work on my laptop, it kept asking for a key. But, I was able to install and activate Win 10 Pro 64-bit on my gaming rig. In fact, it never asked for a key. I'm thinking the "custom Lenovo version" of Win 8.1 64-bit on my laptop isn't eligible for the upgrade at this time.

Laptop? I wasn't able to make it work on my laptop, it kept asking for a key. But, I was able to install and activate Win 10 Pro 64-bit on my gaming rig. In fact, it never asked for a key. I'm thinking the "custom Lenovo version" of Win 8.1 64-bit on my laptop isn't eligible for the upgrade at this time.

Yes, a Lenovo Y510p actually.

I'm running 10240 on my desktop as well and its pretty damn good of an OS so far.

Buburibon

Yes, a Lenovo Y510p actually.

I'm running 10240 on my desktop as well and its pretty damn good of an OS so far.

Yeah, that pretty much confirms it. Gotta wait until after the 29th to upgrade the Lenovos.

I haven't spent much time with Win 10 yet, but it seems solid except for the fact my Cortana is completely silent.

Bruno

Upgraded 2 PC's. My main gaming rig had 8.1 Pro with my MS account and updated perfectly with no problems. Second PC was running 7 Home Edition and kept asking for a key even though my primary rig didn't need one. I followed some steps on reddit and managed to get it freshly formatted and activated using some random key they posted on there - really hope this doesn't screw me over in the future. As of right now both PC's are activated and working perfectly.

Btw - actually noticed an FPS improvement while playing ARK.

Upgraded, worked perfectly.....
Until I enabled SLI then PC freezes for a second everytime I open Edge, Start Menu, Settings, etc.
Also Second monitor starts flickering when I move a window in it with SLI.
Seems like Nvidia drivers are the issue so meanwhile will have to disable SLI until new drivers are released.

bltn

Upgraded, worked perfectly.....
Until I enabled SLI then PC freezes for a second everytime I open Edge, Start Menu, Settings, etc.
Also Second monitor starts flickering when I move a window in it with SLI.
Seems like Nvidia drivers are the issue so meanwhile will have to disable SLI until new drivers are released.

Thanks for sharing this. I'll wait!

roytheone

Two questions about this windows 10 update:

1) Is it possible to update to a dutch windows 10? The link provided in this thread seems to be for English versions only.

2) How does windows 10 deal with laptops that have two graphics cards, one for performance and one for energy saving. In windows 7 I had a manual option to switch between them, but after updating to windows 8.1 I now need to attach the power cord in order to switch it to the performance card.

krang

The thing that surprises me, following that link to the ISOs, is that there's going to be a 32-bit version. I thought it was going x64 only.

themoreyouknow.jpg

Jinroh

I installed it but now my screen flickers ingame and it makes games unplayable. I have a nvidia card, does anyone else have a similar issue?

Top Bottom