• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 RTM is out - DX12 games to follow?

Durante

You can still have a completely offline account in Windows 10 right?

Anyway, it will be a while yet before games supporting DX12 are released, and a longer while before ones are made which were built for it (or Vulkan. I still root for Vulkan).

DevilFox

Ready or not, I'll jump in asap. I'm very excited to see what they did, somehow Microsoft managed to surprise me with their software recently. For games in DX12, end of the year at the earliest is my bet.

I remember joining the insider program but I forgot to download the ISO. Now that RTM is out I want to download it but the "Get started" tab is grayed out. Wtf :(

EDIT: This and losing the little flag icon on the left is bugging me out. Now ill have to buy the final version since I wont be able to upgrade.

No Insider ISO downloads until the 29th

FrsDvl

Is there any legitimate way to get onto 10240 straight from 8.1 at this point? I am part of the Insider Program, but I don't have 10 Installed anymore.

Man

Hopefully Vulkan will have healthy, performent drivers on Windows 7-10, OSX & Linux come 2016. It's in everybody's interest really.

DSN2K

seems you cant activate this build regardless if you install it currently. How nerfed is Windows 10 if its not activated ? Windows 7/8 cut back on a few thing until activation.

With Windows 10 am I going to be required to do a full wipe and re-install of Windows?

I really hope not. Macs solved that years ago

seems you cant activate this build regardless if you install it currently. How nerfed is Windows 10 if its not activated ? Windows 7/8 cut back on a few thing until activation.

Apparently people are having problems activating from that build, Microsoft is recommending to either wipe or to wait for the next patch which will fix it

SOURCE: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_install/activate-windows-watermark-on-windows-10-insider/cae92439-f115-45ea-a109-14332c5f56ec

With Windows 10 am I going to be required to do a full wipe and re-install of Windows?

Of course not. You always can do an in-place upgrade.

Windows has always had in-place upgrades, so not sure why you seem to imply they haven't?

If you don't believe me, here's a video someone made showing someone upgrading from MS-DOS to Windows 8 for kicks and giggles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep1MvNyHSWs Windows still runs programs from 1985 as well (though it gives you a warning that it's old as hell and you should probably not use it).

Reddit Microsoft Software Swap. They sell legitimate Windows keys. Most of them are Dreamspark releases issued from Colleges / Universities.

Check it out.

The fuck??!

Don't listen to this man. Those keys are not legitimate as they are only meant to be used by volume licensing or university programs.

watership

Windows 10 has been nice in the lastest few updates but for the way I use it in my daily life it really feels more like a windows 8.5, they improved the windows app part hugely by allowing native windowing of the apps and that's the biggest change for me.

That's what Win7 was compared to Vista. More of a rebranding with a few changes than a new OS. Win8 was the big jump in terms of speed and features but most people will first experience those benefits in Win10.

Dazza

I'll be surprised if by this time next year Window 10's adoption hasn't significantly eclipsed the adoption rate of past MS OSes over the same amount of time.

Me too considering they giving it away free to any previous windows users legitimate or pirated. I think I'll wait for a month after official release,

Hawk269

I thought Fable Legends was the first game that was DX12. I cannot remember where I read that, but perhaps it will be the first.

Is upgrading instead of a fresh install still not the best choice as it was years ago? Apparently fresh install always gave better performance

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Arent u auto forced to have ms account to log on in windows 8 n 10

No. You can make a non-.Net account just like Windows XP, 7.

You needed an .Net account for the tech preview for obvious reasons (they wanted feedback, etc. They even had a keylogger on your stuff. Eek.), but Windows 10 won't have either (.Net required nor a keylogger... knock on wood on that last one)

No, you haven't had to do that since XP, AFAIK. It'll do a "clean install" but have your old files in a "backup" folder.

This is the extent of the damage, from what I can tell:
mRzeT62.png

Annoying, but not much more.

Yudoken

You can still have a completely offline account in Windows 10 right?

Anyway, it will be a while yet before games supporting DX12 are released, and a longer while before ones are made which were built for it (or Vulkan. I still root for Vulkan).

Vulkan would be great, I would love to see every new game released on Linux.

It's working pretty well for me so far. It activated automatically doing the upgrade from 8.1. I haven't tried gaming yet, but I do dig Edge. Aren't Chrome extensions supposed to be working? I can't seem to figure out how to make them work.

Crayon

Hopefully Vulkan will have healthy, performent drivers on Windows 7-10, OSX & Linux come 2016. It's in everybody's interest really.

Really hope it gets a strong start. Its critical for game support on every non-w10 os. The exclusivity of dx12 to w10 could be a great opening for Vulkan. As long as it performs right, like you said.

OmegaDL50

The fuck??!

Don't listen to this man. Those keys are not legitimate as they are only meant to be used by volume licensing or university programs.

What do you think Dreamspark is?

They dont do Windows keys anymore. Been about a year since they made that rule

I believe they created a sub-reddit just for Windows software only, but like any software purchase from a non-official provider, there is always a risk involved, which is why one should only deal with verified sellers.

Thanks! Followed this link to upgrade and it was pretty painless. It just did its install and I was back to Windows with all my programs intact! My nVidia drivers were even updated to the Windows 10 versions.

I really like the new taskbar! Its pretty sleek and integrates a lot of features without being as overbearing as the Windows 8/8.1 Start Screen. Everything looks nice as far as user interface and it runs flawlessly on my system.

Here are my specs:

Intel H57 Mobo
Intel Core i7 860
16Gb 1866Mhz DDR3
ASUS nVidia GTX 970
Samsung 840 Evo

So, the "upgrade" is going to use my Win 8.1 64-bit Pro license/key to install a legitimate version of Win 10 64-bit Pro that is fully functional, 100% activated, eligible for updates, etc? Thanks!

For what it's worth, since Windows 8, there is no such thing as a non-fully functional non-updateable copy of windows.

But yes, the upgrade should be legitimately activated automatically.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Has nothing to do with release times between Windows versions. I just think that Win10 has not baked long enough yet.

what is this even suppose to mean? you're just saying vague things to appear like you have some great insight into the subject but you're not actually saying anything.

have you even used Windows 10?

Thanks! Followed this link to upgrade and it was pretty painless. It just did its install and I was back to Windows with all my programs intact! My nVidia drivers were even updated to the Windows 10 versions.

I really like the new taskbar! Its pretty sleek and integrates a lot of features without being as overbearing as the Windows 8/8.1 Start Screen. Everything looks nice as far as user interface and it runs flawlessly on my system.

Here are my specs:

Intel H57 Mobo
Intel Core i7 860
16Gb 1866Mhz DDR3
ASUS nVidia GTX 970
Samsung 840 Evo

This ISO upgraded and activated just fine? no issues with not being "genuine" or anything else?

Top Bottom