• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 RTM is out - DX12 games to follow?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
When the API was first announced they stated not to expect the first games until at least Fall 2015.

I suspect many of those games won't know until they're closer to launch if their new pipelines will be ready in time.

SScorpio

Ugh, why isn't the Windows 10 upgrade free for Enterprise users? I'm going to have to downgrade to a different version and then upgrade or fork out the cash for the retail version.

Because Enterprise is only available to company that have enterprise licensing with Microsoft. The licensing normally covers updates, contact your IT person and you should be able to get it off MSDN or the Partner Network.

It won't upgrade through Windows Updates, because anyone large enough to use enterprise licensing will have their own roll out plan in place where they need to test a bunch of software and hardware and make sure things aren't broken.

Of course if you are just complaining that your pirated version of Windows won't update, then just join Windows Insider when it becomes available again. You'll be able to install Windows 10, the only drawn back is things could break since you'll get patches before general release.

SScorpio

You can do a refresh after Win 10 is installed

After the upgrade you'll also be able to do a full clean install. You have to do the upgrade and sign in with a Microsoft account. This will license Windows 10 for your computer as the upgraded version won't have product keys.

After the clean install, sign into your Microsoft account and it will activate.

I don't see any Isos available. I'm in the insider program and if I remember correctly the upgrade is now only available thru windows update.

Running iton my desktop

Gears of War Ultimate Edition uses DX12/Windows 10 and it comes out next month. So it may in fact be the first official DX12 game on PC.

Windows 10 gives better boot up times and better performance to current PC games correct? I don't see why anyone would wait to upgrade, sounds like a win win.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
If you were using an insider program build the RTM version was pushed and insiders should now be running a final version. It no longer says preview in the corner and is activated forever etc... I'm not sure you can actually get it manually if you weren't an insider.

Does this apply if I download the Technical Preview off of Dreamspark? Can I update it to the RTM build?

big_z

What about minecraft windows 10 edition. Wasnt that rumored to be dx12? It should also be available at the actual launch.

So I need to keep Win8.1 for my work, but I've got a shiny new 512GB SSD that Id like to put Windows 10 on... How painless is the dual boot process for 10?

For those who have tried Win 10, do you notice any performance improvements in existing games? If I recall correctly, Project Cars ran better in Windows 10, despite it using DX 11, I think?

Windows 10 gives better boot up times and better performance to current PC games correct? I don't see why anyone would wait to upgrade, sounds like a win win.

According to one of Digital Foundry's articles, Windows 10 also gives a performance boost for AMD cards running DX11 when compared to Windows 7 or 8 (they apparently only tested Project Cars though).

In the graphics market, AMD has often been criticised for its lacklustre approach to driver support. Our tests on DX11 hardware have illustrated that there is a big gap, and it should be addressed. Curiously, the DX12 driver in Windows 10 seems to have DX11 enhancements not found in the current Windows 8.1 driver, resulting in tangible performance boosts to Project Cars when it's run on the new OS. Hopefully this is just the beginning of AMD's efforts to optimise DX11, but the benches strongly suggest that the groundwork is in place for the firm to be as competitive on the software side as it is with its hardware once DX12 is the focus for PC development.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-why-directx-12-is-a-gamechanger

Larogue

I'm currently running RTM windows 10 with DX12 supporting card/driver. Only thing missing is the fucking games.

LOLCats

Banned
What do you mean? You can just upgrade and none of your games will be touched. Shouldn't need to redownload or reconfigure anything unless you decide you want to do a clean install.

I hear ya but, but i dont do windows in place upgrades, Im all about clean installs.

Nibiru

Banned
I have 2 pcs with 8.1 but another computer with Vista!

The Vista computer is actually pretty good. What are my options for the upgrade? I know all the basic stuff like buy 10 or 8.1 but I was wondering if there were any other methods.
The Vista machine was bought like a few months before windows 7 came out:(

If you stream a game from Xbox to your PC, does that game run in full screen on your TV? I have my DVR running through my Xbox and remote play would often be handy, but not if it interrupts people watching the TV. I'm guessing that won't be an option, but secretly holding out hope because you can game with TV running in snap mode.

Unfortunately, yes. It only mirrors what's on the Xbox right now. I really hope they change it so you can use TV, Netflix, etc while someone else is streaming a game. They would need to make it very performant though since it needs to do the transcoding at the same time, so game + transcoding + Netflix could be tight on system resources.

I'm thinking of just doing the upgrade instead of a clean install this time. Don't feel like reformatting at the moment. I hear the upgrade process is less painful than others? I usually never upgrade since I hear crap doesn't work and such.

Personally, I haven't run into issues doing the upgrades. Before it starts the upgrade, it will do a check of all of the apps, drivers, etc on your system and will tell you if anything will have issues, and what you can do to fix it (download an updated driver, etc).

Gears of War Ultimate Edition uses DX12/Windows 10 and it comes out next month. So it may in fact be the first official DX12 game on PC.

That's for the Xbox One release. PC release date for GoW:UE hasn't been announced.

I hear ya but, but i dont do windows in place upgrades, Im all about clean installs.

Nothing wrong with that, I do the same for major releases. :) Just wanted to make sure you knew, since a surprising amount of people think that when you do an in-place upgrade, you need to redownload and reconfigure everything on your PC.

*Edit*
I have 2 pcs with 8.1 but another computer with Vista!

The Vista computer is actually pretty good. What are my options for the upgrade. I know all the basic stuff like buy 10 or 8.1 but I was wondering if there were any other methods.
The Vista machine was baught like a few months before windows 7 came out:(

You'll need to buy a copy of 7, 8.1 or 10. Whatever you can find for cheapest. Win10 for those who can't do the free upgrade, is $119. You should be able to find a legit copy of 7 or 8.1 for a little bit cheaper I think.

Personally, I haven't run into issues doing the upgrades. Before it starts the upgrade, it will do a check of all of the apps, drivers, etc on your system and will tell you if anything will have issues, and what you can do to fix it (download an updated driver, etc).

Alright then Ill give it a shot then.

Lebon14

There's this FAQ that should clear up a LOT of questions regarding the free upgarde / re-install / terms / etc. You guys should take a look:

http://www.tenforums.com/general-di...-questions-about-windows-10-free-upgrade.html

I know it solved a lot of mine (minus two minor ones).

The Vista computer is actually pretty good. What are my options for the upgrade? I know all the basic stuff like buy 10 or 8.1 but I was wondering if there were any other methods.
The Vista machine was bought like a few months before windows 7 came out:(

Your only option is to buy a licence for that Vista machine unfortunately. I know there was a deal when 7 was released that if you purchased a Vista machine 6 months (or was it 12 or 3? I don't remember) before the release of Win7, you got a free update. If you have gotten that, you could have upgraded to Win10 for free. Unfortunately, you haven't.

I'm currently running Win 10 10240 on my desktop but should I upgrade my Win 8.1 on my laptop? It's a Lenovo Y510p SLI 750m.

Why wouldn't you? It's free!

Kibbles

I'm on fast ring, still no update :|

Also, it's fucking bullshit I can't just use my windows 7/8 keys. My HDD failed so I bought a new SSD and installed Windows 10 insider preview to it. Now I'll have to find a Windows 7 iso, remove everything and reinstall all the drivers just to get a license?

Bsigg12

Legends is pretty much up in the air, release date wise. Soft launch this year is probable, but it's f2p, so I doubt they'll ever call it "complete."

Oh, and technically, 10240 isn't confirmed as RTM.

They announced an October 13th launch for Fable Legends at comic con

There's this FAQ that should clear up a LOT of questions regarding the free upgarde / re-install / terms / etc. You guys should take a look:

http://www.tenforums.com/general-di...-questions-about-windows-10-free-upgrade.html

I know it solved a lot of mine (minus two minor ones).

Your only option is to buy a licence for that Vista machine unfortunately. I know there was a deal when 7 was released that if you purchased a Vista machine 6 months (or was it 12 or 3? I don't remember) before the release of Win7, you got a free update. If you have gotten that, you could have upgraded to Win10 for free. Unfortunately, you haven't.

Why wouldn't you? It's free!

I know it's free. My question was more about any known issues with running it on laptops or just my model in general.

OmegaDL50

You'll need to buy a copy of 7, 8.1 or 10. Whatever you can find for cheapest. Win10 for those who can't do the free upgrade, is $119. You should be able to find a legit copy of 7 or 8.1 for a little bit cheaper I think.

There is always the Windows Software swap via Reddit.

They sell legitimate windows keys. Mainly keys via Dreamspark and College / University distributed keys.

This is one clear way to buy a cheap copy of Windows 7 or 8 for like $20 to $30 which gives you a clear upgrade path to Windows 10 without needing to spend a lot of money for users currently stuck on Vista who want to make the jump to 10.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Doesn't the license transfer to a new pc and disable the old on as long as you verify the install with your Microsoft account?

I went from an C2D to a FX (AMD) on the same 8.1 install without issue. So there shouldn't be any issues yeah.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
I wouldn't be surprised if Assassin's Creed Syndicate supported DX12 at launch. Many of the performance issues with the PC version of Unity were due to the drawcalls bottleneck of DX11, so having a DX12 version would make a lot of sense.
I expect DX12 to be adopted by multiplatform devs (at least those who only target currrent gen consoles) much faster than any other DX version before since it makes porting between consoles and PC much easier than before. Especially since most gamers will more than likely switch to Windows 10 quickly, unless Microsoft fucked it up of course...

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I wouldn't be surprised if Assassin's Creed Syndicate supported DX12 at launch. Many of the performance issues with the PC version of Unity were due to the drawcalls bottleneck of DX11, so having a DX12 version would make a lot of sense.
I expect DX12 to be adopted by multiplatform devs (at least those who only target currrent gen consoles) much faster than any other DX version before since it makes porting between consoles and PC much easier than before. Especially since most gamers will more than likely switch to Windows 10 quickly, unless Microsoft fucked it up of course...

I thought Ubisofts way of fixing it was to make London a desolate wasteland ;p

big_z

So what are the benefits of a clean install vs upgrade? Performance hit on upgrading?

Windows collects junk files and information over time. This can have a negative impact on user experience/performance. If your current install of windows is corrupt in any way that can also cause problems. A clean install ensures your getting the best new windows experience possible.

It's like renovating a really old house vs tearing it down and building fresh.

Doesn't the license transfer to a new pc and disable the old on as long as you verify the install with your Microsoft account?
So I could install Windows 10 on my current computer now, and later in the fall get a new computer, install the same Windows 7 to it, and again upgrade to 10? Would be great, didn't even consider that.

DieH@rd

Banned
I expect first DX12 games coming out late this year [not many of them]. Next year we should see much more of them.

Deus Ex Mankind Divided will use it, and that game will be out in early 2016. Hopefully Ubi will adopt it ASAP, their games are especially hard on PC CPUs.

Hey so if im having trouble upgrading to Win 8.1 (got 2 SSDs and 2 HDDs so it messes up when rebooting the upgrade), should I just do the Win 10 preview ?

JaggedSac

I would eat my socks if a DX12 game shipped before middle of next year. Any pc gaming vet knows that anytime you get a new DX version, it takes a long time to get a game out to the public that uses it properly.

Isn't Fable Legends DX12?

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
I hate signing in with a Microsoft account it doesn't exactly feel secure plus it auto signs u into skype when u log into computer...

Top Bottom