• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 RTM is out - DX12 games to follow?

1) Is it possible to update to a dutch windows 10? The link provided in this thread seems to be for English versions only.

Once you have it installed you can change region and download other languages in the settings

I installed it but now my screen flickers ingame and it makes games unplayable. I have a nvidia card, does anyone else have a similar issue?

If you have SLI you will need to disable it

Jinroh

Nope, no SLI. MKX is fine, but path of exile and heroes of the storm are affected.

Also, a few builds ago the start menu had an icon to spread it fullscreen. Is it still possible to activate it somewhere? I know we can enable it to be fullscreen by default, but is it still possible to switch between the two modes?

M3d10n

Upgraded, worked perfectly.....
Until I enabled SLI then PC freezes for a second everytime I open Edge, Start Menu, Settings, etc.
Also Second monitor starts flickering when I move a window in it with SLI.
Seems like Nvidia drivers are the issue so meanwhile will have to disable SLI until new drivers are released.
The latest NVIDIA drivers are buggy on the desktop, but since it affects nearly everyone I expect it to be ironed soon.

valouris

Just did the upgrade, surprisingly super smooth! Haven't tried any games yet.

However, has the global DPI scaling been broken with this release? Some desktop programs don't scale and are blurry, but others are fine. In Windows 8.1 I used the global setting and it was working fine. Any ideas?

It seems like all the links on page 3 are non working due to overload, and the torrent is also going very slowly... Any other good links to download 240?

M3d10n

Just did the upgrade, surprisingly super smooth! Haven't tried any games yet.

However, has the global DPI scaling been broken with this release? Some desktop programs don't scale and are blurry, but others are fine. In Windows 8.1 I used the global setting and it was working fine. Any ideas?

MS killed the "legacy" DPI scaling. I bitched a lot about it on the user feedback to no avail.

You can force desktop apps to use the legacy by right clicking their executables and checking "disable display scaling on high DPI settings" in the compatibility tab. Problem is, a bunch of Windows built in executables (mmc.exe, resmon.exe, cmd.exe, etc) also get blurry and don't have a compatibility tab.

I was all ready to upgrade but looking into it, there doesn't seem much point. Framerates are all over the place, it's bound to be a little problematic and DS4Windows/InputMapper don't work properly.

Buburibon

Downloaded and installed that RTM build this morning. Can't get it to activate though.

Are you by any chance attempting to activate it on a laptop? I found out yesterday that my Lenovo's "custom" Win 8.1 installation isn't eligible to upgrade to Win 10 at this time. It should definitely work if you're coming from a retail, or regular OEM version of Windows 7/8/8.1, though.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Are you by any chance attempting to activate it on a laptop? I found out yesterday that my Lenovo's "custom" Win 8.1 installation isn't eligible to upgrade to Win 10 at this time. It should definitely work if you're coming from a retail, or regular OEM version of Windows 7/8/8.1, though.

Yeah, it's a 5'ish year old HP laptop from Windows 7.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Won't work

Interesting. It gave me the "Hey, reserve your copy of Windows 10" icon, and I went through that process. I did a fresh install on it yesterday. I think it's because I used the CD Key that Magical Jelly Bean told me (which apparently is a volume license key) because the key that's on the bottom of the laptop was pretty much faded away.

Compsiox

Banned
I installed Windows 10.

When it launches will I get a product key to activate on the 29th? I've purchased 2 windows 8s under my Microsoft

So those of us with laptops are screwed until our respective manufacturer does something for us? Or can we upgraded as soon as its available to us via the upgrade path on or after the 29th?

Compsiox

Banned
So, I need to install a brand new OS on my brother's PC because he got some viruses. I'm installing Win 7 again, but since there are a LOT of patches to download, I'm asking if it would be possibile download and install this RTM version.
If so, is there a trusty link I can use?
Any tip on how I need to proceed?
I prefer doing this to avoid downloading all the patches and then updating to 10 on 29,

The link provided back gives me a 404.

If you download the RTM unofficially, it will never be activated. Unless you buy a key.

valouris

MS killed the "legacy" DPI scaling. I bitched a lot about it on the user feedback to no avail.

You can force desktop apps to use the legacy by right clicking their executables and checking "disable display scaling on high DPI settings" in the compatibility tab. Problem is, a bunch of Windows built in executables (mmc.exe, resmon.exe, cmd.exe, etc) also get blurry and don't have a compatibility tab.

Yeah, I know the story, but in 8.1 there was an option "let me keep DPI settings in all displays" or something like that, that magically fixed the problem for every program, at 125% scaling, without having to manually set compatibility exceptions. When I upgraded this option is no longer there, and the problem persists at 125% and 150%, unless I manually set the compatibility option. This blows.

Oh, when you say the legacy scaling is gone is this the option in the control panel, rather than the Modern settings app? If so, that's a bummer, though I feared it would happen.

On Windows 8.x, you could change the scaling for "Modern apps" separately from the desktop, since the desktop was "just another app" on that OS.

So if you had a high-dpi device but wanted a desktop which showed more real estate, you could set Modern stuff like the start screen and apps to display at 1.5x scaling, and the desktop at 1.0x scaling. I liked that.

I'm guessing you can't do that anymore in Windows 10 because the "modern" environment is now a part of the desktop?

Edit: New Xbox on Windows 10 trailer has gone up https://youtu.be/CXIkgnbWIkQ

M3d10n

Yeah, I know the story, but in 8.1 there was an option "let me keep DPI settings in all displays" or something like that, that magically fixed the problem for every program, at 125% scaling, without having to manually set compatibility exceptions. When I upgraded this option is no longer there, and the problem persists at 125% and 150%, unless I manually set the compatibility option. This blows.

That's what they killed. The option is gone and the registry entry for it does nothing. I went back to using 100%, even though 125% is more comfortable for me.

Compsiox

Banned
NEW NVIDIA DRIVERS UPDATE (FORCED):

Today new driver 353.54 from Windows 10 update. Geforce 353.54 WHQL (r352_00-220) and nvcuda 7.5.14
DriverVer = 07/13/2015, 10.18.13.5354

Ro3QMs4.png

FIXES GUI Rendering in some games

(WARNING: May automatically turn on 3D stereoscopic mode so turn it off in Nvidia control panel)

DSN2K

noticed my performance in 3Dmarks is pretty poor with Windows 10, im at least 10% down....Nvidia drivers to blame ?

noticed my performance in 3Dmarks is pretty poor with Windows 10, im at least 10% down....Nvidia drivers to blame ?

I swear this seems to happenw ith every OS release except for maybe windows 7. Every game ran worse for a tiny bit and then got better over a small timeframe... just some immature driver stuff I imagine.

THEaaron

If you download the RTM unofficially, it will never be activated. Unless you buy a key.

That is not true. You just have to update your running Win7/Win8.1 installation to Win10 and then it will be activated without problems. I just downloaded an ISO with a preview build last week and updated it from my running Win8.1 installation.

And in the last two days I just downloaded the 10240 ISO and updated to that as well from the preview build. My installation is activated and I get patches over Windows Update.

You just can't do a fresh install the first time and you need an active internet connection. When upgrading from Win7/8.1 your hardware ID is sent to Microsoft and will be marked as activated. If you want a clean install of Windows10 you have to do it after the migration.

That is not true. You just have to update your running Win7/Win8.1 installation to Win10 and then it will be activated without problems. I just downloaded an ISO with a preview build last week and updated it from my running Win8.1 installation.

And in the last two days I just downloaded the 10240 ISO and updated to that as well from the preview build. My installation is activated and I get patches over Windows Update.

You just can't do a fresh install the first time and you need an active internet connection. When upgrading from Win7/8.1 your hardware ID is sent to Microsoft and will be marked as activated. If you want a clean install of Windows10 you have to do it after the migration.

Interesting. I always thought there would be some license transfer that happens in the Get Windows 10 app, but I'm guessing Microsoft has already done the work in making every Windows 7 or 8.1 license extend to Windows 10 as well?

(As far as I know, your license will let you install either, but you aren't legally allowed to run both at once.)

THEaaron

Interesting. I always thought there would be some license transfer that happens in the Get Windows 10 app, but I'm guessing Microsoft has already done the work in making every Windows 7 or 8.1 license extend to Windows 10 as well?

(As far as I know, your license will let you install either, but you aren't legally allowed to run both at once.)

I don't know the details but I have reserved a key in the Windows 10 app. It may be needed to successfully activate your Win10 key in advance.

As far as I remember I have immediately reserved my key when the App popped up. In the update process I didn't even have to type in my key or something else.

But in the end I would stick to your assumption that they have already finished preparations beforehand so the update day will be without problems.

It was satisfying easy to update to Win10. Mount ISO in Win8.1, run setup.exe and after 20 minutes I saw the desktop again. Everything but my X-FI drivers worked out of the box.

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
I found it to be the oposite on my laptop (Nvidia 640M) however I haven't installed W10 on my sons PC yet so it could be down to just a rubbish GPU. Are you running the DX12 tests or just the standard ones which are part of the 3D Mark demo?

I don't know the details but I have reserved a key in the Windows 10 app. It may be needed to successfully activate your Win10 key in advance.

As far as I remember I have immediately reserved my key when the App popped up. In the update process I didn't even have to type in my key or something else.

But in the end I would stick to your assumption that they have already finished preparations beforehand so the update day will be without problems.

It was satisfying easy to update to Win10. Mount ISO in Win8.1, run setup.exe and after 20 minutes I saw the desktop again. Everything but my X-FI drivers worked out of the box.

Cheers, that may well be it! I'll probably upgrade after I read a few more impressions -- I'm a bit of a niche use case as a few of the apps and things that I rely on in 8.1 are being depreciated or removed in 10.

hmmm...have developers had access to the tools to make universal apps? Or are they releasing the same day too?

They have since BUILD, I think. Hopefully we'll see some solid offerings on launch day, it does seem a bit strange that developers can't submit apps beforehand so Microsoft can curate hand-made app categories and pages by the 29th.

On a related note, whatever happened to that Candy Crush Saga deal? Surely for it to have any meaningful effect it needs to come preinstalled, rather than plonked into a user's Windows Store downloads list?

Top Bottom