• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 RTM is out - DX12 games to follow?

Jin

Thanks! Followed this link to upgrade and it was pretty painless. It just did its install and I was back to Windows with all my programs intact! My nVidia drivers were even updated to the Windows 10 versions.

I really like the new taskbar! Its pretty sleek and integrates a lot of features without being as overbearing as the Windows 8/8.1 Start Screen. Everything looks nice as far as user interface and it runs flawlessly on my system.

Here are my specs:

Intel H57 Mobo
Intel Core i7 860
16Gb 1866Mhz DDR3
ASUS nVidia GTX 970
Samsung 840 Evo

Did you manage to activate your key or see if it's authenticated? I'm hesitant to d/l that ISO because everything I'm reading is that the authentication servers are down until the 29th and I don't want to do the upgrade and find out it's not genuine and have to reinstall Windows 7 and upgrade to 10 again.

Activation servers are down until release... so no, you can't really do that right now if you want to have a legit version of Windows 10 at release.

really wish i had read this before. i used the new build iso to try to upgrade my laptop from win 7 and it said it required a key (couldn't skip and my win 7 key and the available pre release keys wouldn't work). so i stupidly did a clean install on it as a last try and it still wouldn't work. guess i'll reinstall 7 on it and update it again and wait until the 29th

Mashing

Because Enterprise is only available to company that have enterprise licensing with Microsoft. The licensing normally covers updates, contact your IT person and you should be able to get it off MSDN or the Partner Network.

It won't upgrade through Windows Updates, because anyone large enough to use enterprise licensing will have their own roll out plan in place where they need to test a bunch of software and hardware and make sure things aren't broken.

Of course if you are just complaining that your pirated version of Windows won't update, then just join Windows Insider when it becomes available again. You'll be able to install Windows 10, the only drawn back is things could break since you'll get patches before general release.

I got my copy through work, be nice not to have to VPN so it will check in with the key management server. Thanks for the tip, I'll ask them about it.

Hitchey

Neo Member
I'm amazed how well it runs on old hardware. Running the Xbox streaming on a Celeron 2 with a 9200m gs and both the streaming and general o/s functionality are amazingly good.

If you have old hardware laying around I'd recommend giving it a go

Vashetti

Banned
It's working pretty well for me so far. It activated automatically doing the upgrade from 8.1. I haven't tried gaming yet, but I do dig Edge. Aren't Chrome extensions supposed to be working? I can't seem to figure out how to make them work.

How did you get it to activate?

Would installing it over my Windows 7 automatically activate?

It's working pretty well for me so far. It activated automatically doing the upgrade from 8.1. I haven't tried gaming yet, but I do dig Edge. Aren't Chrome extensions supposed to be working? I can't seem to figure out how to make them work.

Extension support for the browser is coming in an update coming out later this year.

Just wait for 10 days. There are very mixed reports on whether it will activate or not. Some people are able to do it fine, others have issues. It should be working on the 29th with the officially supported method of upgrading and activation.

killatopak

Gold Member
Are win 8 apps still applicable to win10 apps. I'm afraid it'll have incompatibility so I'm kinda holding off on the free updates until I make sure.

Are win 8 apps still applicable to win10 apps. I'm afraid it'll have incompatibility so I'm kinda holding off on the free updates until I make sure.

Yes, everything will run fine. You can still use applications made for Windows 95 on Win10 if you wanted to. Back compat is a cornerstone of Windows.

Qassim

I managed to get Windows 10 to activate fine on the 10240 build, dunno what I did differently, but seems fine for me:

x5rjhHh.png

Kevin

For those running Windows 10, stability/bug wise how does it compare to Windows 7? I'm looking to get in on the free update.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I'm doing it too, should be done in an hour or so.

I installed from 8.1 to the initial build, then to 10041 (because why not lol), Windows says it's activated still, will report back once the RTM build is done.

Edit: It is done, my crazy update path led me to an activated RTM build of Windows 10 :D

I didn't do anything to activate it. I just downloaded the 64 bit ISO, mounted it, and installed normally. It never asked for a key and it's definitely activated. I upgraded over Windows 8.1, so I can't speak for 7.

This ISO upgraded and activated just fine? no issues with not being "genuine" or anything else?

Did you manage to activate your key or see if it's authenticated? I'm hesitant to d/l that ISO because everything I'm reading is that the authentication servers are down until the 29th and I don't want to do the upgrade and find out it's not genuine and have to reinstall Windows 7 and upgrade to 10 again.

According to my Windows 10 System screen my version of Windows has been activated. I wasn't prompted for a CD Key at any point of the installation from what I remember though. I thought it might have just checked my version of Windows 8.1 which I acquired through DreamSpark. I should also point out that the computer I have is a Dell XPS 8100. I've swapped out all of the original parts except for the motherboard and cpu along with reinstalling Windows fresh on 8.1 without any of the Dell software. In spite of this, Windows still figured out I had a Dell computer and was greeted with a Dell app thingy welcoming me to Windows 10.

tokkun

For those running Windows 10, stability/bug wise how does it compare to Windows 7? I'm looking to get in on the free update.

The free update period is one year. If you are really concerned with stability, the smart course is going to be to wait and upgrade closer to the end of that period. There are always a disproportionately large number of bugs discovered and fixed in the first few months of general availability, either because they are known issues that slipped past the release date or because they were only uncovered once a larger and more diverse group of testerscustomers started using the product. Even if the OS itself is rock-solid, it always takes application and driver developers a while to iron out all of their bugs.

Of course that requires a degree of self-restraint to resist the urge to jump to the newest, shiniest thing.

petran79

Banned
This goes mainly for the desktop, since on laptop I have only Windows 7:

I have both Windows XP, Windows 7 and Ubuntu 15.04
When I turn on the system GRUB Loader appears. If I choose Windows 7 in GRUB, traditional Windows loader appears, giving me a choice between Windows 7 and Windows XP

A question:

Does Windows 10 replace GRUB loader and do I have to restore it again through Ubuntu CD?

Does Windows 10 loader give you the option still to boot to Windows XP?

Woffls

So I downloaded the x64 ISO from that link a few pages back, mounted it, ran setup, chose to keep nothing, and it installed without a hitch to an activated version of Windows 10. No signs of this being anything but a retail installation! Couldn't have been easier.

Aside of an odd issue I'm getting in one specific game (Final Fantasy 11), Windows 10 seems rock solid to me. I'm not on 10240/'RTM'/whatever yet though. On the build prior.

M3d10n

They all work. They even run windowed, which makes them far more usable.

This goes mainly for the desktop, since on laptop I have only Windows 7:

I have both Windows XP, Windows 7 and Ubuntu 15.04
When I turn on the system GRUB Loader appears. If I choose Windows 7 in GRUB, traditional Windows loader appears, giving me a choice between Windows 7 and Windows XP

A question:

Does Windows 10 replace GRUB loader and do I have to restore it again through Ubuntu CD?

Does Windows 10 loader give you the option still to boot to Windows XP?

Any Windows upgrade post XP will replace GRUB. You just need to restore it using a live CD.

Shiina

Does W10 have webm thumbnail support?

Oh yeah what I also wanted to know. The ASUS driver page of my motherboard only lists drivers up to W8.1. Should I install those upon W10 installation or what?

Red Hood

Banned
The moment Deus Ex: Mankind Divided releases is the exact moment I'll jump on Windows 10. If I'm not mistaking I thought I read somewhere it would have DX12 support.

Shozuki

Pardon me ladies and gents hope this is ok to ask here.

I've downloaded the RTM release from a few pages back, but I'm currently running Windows 8.1.

Now, how do I use my windows 8.1 key for a genuine activation? It doesn't seem to accept it when you initially try to install windows 10...?

Thanks

Patrick S.

Banned

I've downloaded the RTM release from a few pages back, but I'm currently running Windows 8.1.

Now, how do I use my windows 8.1 key for a genuine activation? It doesn't seem to accept it when you initially try to install windows 10...?

Thanks

IIRC, the official site where you could download Windows 10 images provided a universal key. That should still be findable?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Anyone else have their computer lock up when the monitor falls asleep?

Thanks

I installed it as an upgrade instead of a clean install. I assume it just brings the key with it in that case, if you format it needs to authenticate through the servers, which won't be up until the retail release.

Guys, for those with Windows 10 already, quick question, does the Xbox 360 wireless controller + dongle work well on W10? Some people had trouble with it on W8 when it came out even though I didn't, but I've been wondering if more problems have arised with W10...

Patrick S.

Banned
Guys, for those with Windows 10 already, quick question, does the Xbox 360 wireless controller + dongle work well on W10? Some people had trouble with it on W8 when it came out even though I didn't, but I've been wondering if more problems have arised with W10...

Works flawlessly.

Huh, I haven't had problem with either the Xbox 360 wireless controller and DS4Windows on Windows 10 Insider Preview, but newer builds might've broken compatibility.

IamAwake

Since being in the technical preview on multiple build installations, just a simple plug and play. I have used the wireless dongle, wired, and various 3rd party versions (Such as the MayFlash Wii U Pro adapter). It just takes Windows update a second to locate the driver and then gaming begins.

Shozuki

IIRC, the official site where you could download Windows 10 images provided a universal key. That should still be findable?

Yes, I did see that - but then where do use Windows 8.1 key then? I was worried to install with that key...?

I installed it as an upgrade instead of a clean install. I assume it just brings the key with it in that case, if you format it needs to authenticate through the servers, which won't be up until the retail release.

It's not giving me those options - just asks for a key and then doesn't accept my windows 8.1 key...?

Last night I upgraded my 8.1 to the RTM with no issue I just extracted the iso opened the setup and did a upgrade and it worked.

Patrick S.

Banned
Yes, I did see that - but then where do use Windows 8.1 key then? I was worried to install with that key...?

It's not giving me those options - just asks for a key and then doesn't accept my windows 8.1 key...?

Well if you're running an activated Windows 8 I don't think you will need to enter any Windows 8 key again.

Easy_D

never left the stone age

I mean when I updated I specifically selected for it to keep all my settings and personal files, maybe that's got something to do with it

Top Bottom